The online racing simulator
Yeah Villeneuve completely dug his own grave on that one. Steve Wallace spinning Patrick was stupid too. Other than that though the racing was pretty good.
Ambrose starts last works hes way up to the front, then JV takes him out then he comes back through and wins.
Quote from PMD9409 :And here we go. The Glen is looking into creating safer barriers.

I'm sorry, but WG management, kindly **** off. The track does not need SAFER barriers. They are not helpful at all on road courses. A car hits at an extreme angle (think McDowell's wreck at Texas), it's gonna roll regardless. Also, cars get spat back off of SAFER barriers, whereas with a harder wall, it stops the car more suddenly.

IMO, SAFER barriers ought to be oval only. What's next, SAFER barriers at Infineon, RA, Road America, San Jose, Long Beach?
The way I see it is that Watkins Glen had a choice of:

1) Install SAFER barriers in front of already existing walls (outside T1 and inside T2).
2) Move the wall on the outside of T1 back, which will most likely require the wall outside T2 to be moved back so that there can still be a break in the wall for tow trucks to move through. The wall would also have to be moved back on the inside of T2 after a similar break in the wall..

There is pleanty of room to move back the current walls as needed, but that costs money. They'd have to dig up all the old posts (catch fence has some nice heavy concrete bases) and put new ones in as well. Meanwhile the SAFER barrier can just be bolted on to the current wall.
not to mention the close walls are part of the charm of the glen now
Quote from DieKolkrabe :IMO, SAFER barriers ought to be oval only. What's next, SAFER barriers at Infineon, RA, Road America, San Jose, Long Beach?

Not until each of those tracks has a hard hit like Reutimann and Ragan at Watkins Glen, then there will be a knee-jerk reaction about how "unsafe" the tracks are and SAFER barriers will be in place by the next race.
Which would be pointless. Think about a SAFER barrier on what is essentially a road course.
big deal atleast they only adjusted not change anything and put run offs or something, all they are doing is adding padding to a wall i don't understand all your complaining.
When said padding takes away a chunk of the track and narrows the racing line? (See Bristol for instance, track narrowed.)

It'd be like putting padding all around Bathurst mustafur to make the track narrower than it already is. Suppose down Conrod they put SAFER barriers instead of the grass.
Quote from DieKolkrabe :When said padding takes away a chunk of the track and narrows the racing line? (See Bristol for instance, track narrowed.)

It'd be like putting padding all around Bathurst mustafur to make the track narrower than it already is. Suppose down Conrod they put SAFER barriers instead of the grass.

When was the last time there was a rollover on conrod?

i think it will add to the spectacle, if its narrower can you Imagen how much more difficult it would be to drive 2 wide down there on restarts(not that it isn't already).
The Whelen Modifieds are racing at Bristol on SPEED tonight at 6 EST, not sure if there will be a stream up somewhere but they usually put on a pretty entertaining race.
Quote from Mustafur :When was the last time there was a rollover on conrod?

Last year?

Quote from UncleBenny :The Whelen Modifieds are racing at Bristol on SPEED tonight at 6 EST, not sure if there will be a stream up somewhere but they usually put on a pretty entertaining race.

Don't forget about the truck race shortly after.
Modifieds will be better but yes I'll be watching the trucks also haha. Made the mistake of making plans for this Saturday night before considering the Nascar schedule so I won't be able to watch the whole Cup race, getting my Bristol on tonight instead.

I have a feeling next year at this time I'll be at Bristol. Its next on my list of tracks I REALLY want to go to, did Daytona this year and I want to do a short track next year. Pocono, the Glen, and Bristol in a 4 week span could make for an awesome August next year haha.
Wish I had some spare cash to make that happen. Truly jealous.
2011 nationwide mod for NR2003 is released at Sim racing design!
Well, I'm leaving from here early tomorrow morning to watch the Nationwide and Sprint Cup Series race Junior Johnson tower about half way up Should be beast of seats First time to a short track Cup race, my 3rd Cup race (2nd of the year )

Couldn't be too much more excited
Quote from Cornys :Well, I'm leaving from here early tomorrow morning to watch the Nationwide and Sprint Cup Series race Junior Johnson tower about half way up Should be beast of seats First time to a short track Cup race, my 3rd Cup race (2nd of the year )

Couldn't be too much more excited

So how was it? Did you camp at the track? I've already begun the process of getting friends on board to make the trip down there next year.
Quote from UncleBenny :So how was it? Did you camp at the track? I've already begun the process of getting friends on board to make the trip down there next year.

Pretty fun Being a Mark Martin fan it was a rather annoying race for me to watch being that he had a fast car, but couldn't pass (he's not agressive as most any NASCAR fan knows).

In all it was a blast We sat row 23 Section E of Junior Johnson stands on the backstrech. Both of the crashes were directly infront of us and we had a great view of the track (just like everybody else higher than row 7 ). Friday night we had sat directly behind the Start/finish to the turn 4 side a bit in row 47. Had fun then as well

I didn't wear plugs or a head set for either race, and after the cup race I could feel it, but it was entirely worth it I like to hear the engines and the crowd as much as possable

Wish we could go back next year, but money is a little tight for me and my family. Our last big racing trip of the year will be to the Kentucky IZOD Indy car race That's a series I'd never been able to see until now, so I'll be glad to cross that one off of my list (That'll be the first weekend in October)
No way I'd sit through a whole Bristol race without ear protection. A couple laps on restarts sure, but it has to be deafening in there when they get spaced out. You were in the lower Junior Johnson stands? That's pretty much exactly where I'd want to sit, down low like 20-30 rows up.
The initial start, bring me the engine noise. After that, I'll put on a headset and listen to drivers.
Quote from UncleBenny :No way I'd sit through a whole Bristol race without ear protection. A couple laps on restarts sure, but it has to be deafening in there when they get spaced out. You were in the lower Junior Johnson stands? That's pretty much exactly where I'd want to sit, down low like 20-30 rows up.

Yup, I agree Beast seats I went around and sat all different places after the Nationwide race, and I couldn't find any seats better than where we were the next day for the cup race

I'm a racing purist I wanna watch and hear everything there is to hear there
Anyone think someone has a realistic chance at winning the $3 million this weekend? I'd have to go with Kyle Busch if anyone's going to do it. Brad K is on a huge roll, I just don't see him winning again this weekend, would be nuts if he did though. I can't believe how much he's jumped up in the standings in the past month.
Quote from UncleBenny :I can't believe how much he's jumped up in the standings in the past month.

I beleive that he is finally starting to understand fully what it takes to win in a Cup car. We know he knows how to in a Nationwide car, but you know there's a 200hp difference which basically makes it a whole 'nother animal. Now that he's used to it, he's in good equipment, and he's starting to understand, he's gonna be a force to be reckoned with in the chase. He's my pick to win it actually

2011 NASCAR Season
(1062 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG