The online racing simulator
well according to exif this photo supposed to be blurred because of pentax optio 3,2mpix with 1/15s shutter without flash
Quote from tristancliffe :
Anyway, my brother has confirmed that it WAS LFS and it WAS Rockingham. The only remaining question is will it get to the public version, and from prior experience one has to assume that yes, it will.

Depends on the licensing

e.g. The iDT guys did a version of San Jose, but weren't allowed to release it at all despite posting screenshots and saying it'd be in their mod
i think im gonna make a trip to Spa this week
who knows i might find an LFS stand there <o/

</dream>

too awesome to be true
Quote from Fastwalker :i think im gonna make a trip to Spa this week
who knows i might find an LFS stand there <o/

</dream>

too awesome to be true

Eau Rouge with the UF1, that would be awesome... NOT
-
(Kristi) DELETED by Kristi
Quote from ATHome :Eau Rouge with the UF1, that would be awesome... NOT

reversed, yea
Spa reversed is like the Nordschleife reversed. It's possible, but just sooo wrong
Its not wrong, its foreign and not used
What a thread! Spy photos, hot discussions, nice! But, looks like true, so it is only good. But that's how developers are manipulating with us. The best goes to game conversations, expo's and so on.
woohoo!!!!

finally a real track in LFS and with many possible configurations
hope that the new track and the new car get the traitors back to our religion

when i calculating right, we get 62 new car/track combos :/

edit: and we all have to learn LFS from beginning due new physics and on that day i will be on vacation
'No for now'

Now is now, now it's good time now.

By 'laser scanned' do you mean scanning whole surface for bumps etc?
Quote from DieKolkrabe :Depends on the licensing

e.g. The iDT guys did a version of San Jose, but weren't allowed to release it at all despite posting screenshots and saying it'd be in their mod

True, but as far as we know (!) all the requests for cars in LFS were only granted if it was also allowed to be in the public version. It's a sensible guess (but still a guess) that the same would apply in this case too.

Quote from pasibrzuch : By 'laser scanned' do you mean scanning whole surface for bumps etc?

I sincerely doubt the ability for laser scanning to pick up bumps accurately. For starters the resolution of the scanning won't be that high. Ideally you need photos (go get the track roughly right), videos (same), accurate coordinates regularly along the track (plus run offs, barrier locations etc), plus high resolution datalogging of a car on the track (perhaps a special test vehicle for this purpose that can drive several laps to cover the whole surface of the circuit) from which bumps can be 'found' looking at suspension movement.

The final stage is then to get a driver to drive it in the sim to verify that bumps, cambers, kerb heights etc etc are all about right. A bump slightly too large, in slightly the wrong place could drastically change a corner or sequence of corners away from realistic.
Quote from tristancliffe :
I sincerely doubt the ability for laser scanning to pick up bumps accurately. For starters the resolution of the scanning won't be that high.

Do alot of laser scanning, do you?

FWIW you can get sub-millimeter precision, and the resolution to match, given time and money.

Of course you need the photos for texture work, but the geometry can be derived entirely from the point cloud if you want. usually there is a bit of manual tweaking to get optimized meshes, but the raw data is pretty damn accurate...
Is there any chance to get news from the devs about these stuff?
Oooo, lets keep it quiet, nobody say it will be an awsome track in lfs now, ooo.
And this festival or whatevver, why wasn't it any news about it by the devs? i like to gen up to date i know they got much work but they got 3 min to drop by to say hey, new track, come check it out?
Quote from atledreier :Do alot of laser scanning, do you?

FWIW you can get sub-millimeter precision, and the resolution to match, given time and money.

Of course you need the photos for texture work, but the geometry can be derived entirely from the point cloud if you want. usually there is a bit of manual tweaking to get optimized meshes, but the raw data is pretty damn accurate...

however, in my opinion, the lasser scanned data is rendered irrelevant if the physics of the car's physics aren't 100% accurate, which is nigh on impossible. I really really enjoyed what iRacing had to offer in terms of track feel, but in reality that was just because the tracks were bumpy and lively and not because they accurately mimicked tracks I'd never driven on anyway.

I guess from a PR point of view its very nice if your mimicking a real track. no doubt phrases like 'It has the same little bump at x point on the track' impresses investors and customers.
if i knew that stand was at rockingham.. i woulda gone to that meeting :P
Quote from Intrepid : ...

I guess from a PR point of view its very nice if your mimicking a real track. no doubt phrases like 'It has the same little bump at x point on the track' impresses investors and customers.

And Tristan said it well on the importance of scanned tracks:
Quote :A bump slightly too large, in slightly the wrong place could drastically change a corner or sequence of corners away from realistic.

Quote from atledreier :Do alot of laser scanning, do you?

I'm sure the accuracy is quite good - probably not sub-millimeter for simulator scanning purposes as they won't be that carefully setup or the most expensive. But I seriously SERIOUSLY doubt that they scan every square centimeter of track (the resolution required for bumps). I would guess they scan across the track every 50cm at most (at the more complex parts, like chicanes they might do more, on straights they might do less), so they pick up gradients, cambers, dips and crests. But not bumps.

They COULD. But I doubt they spend a week scanning the track - they probably have to get it done in a day.
Ask one of the photographer experts here, theres many of them (from the camera showoff thread), Im sure they will know what effected the image to turn out like that if it was real.

From basic knowledge, id say it would have been without flash, causing lighting to blur, rather then be sharp/solid.
In the mean time just play KY2 and pretend it's Rockingham.
Quote from peterules :In the mean time just play KY2 and pretend it's Rockingham.

You mean reversed!
I imagine A) focus is mainly on the chair so it's less blurred for a start. Secondly because the chair is nearer when the camera moved while the photo was taken the seat moved less due to it being nearer. but wait I think it should be the other way round. WHo knows actually.
Quote from boothy :You mean reversed!

Yeah that too :P

BTW Boothy, at first i didn't believe you but now i've slept on it "I BELIEVE"
This calls for a stakeout of every future BTCC event, every event at Rockingham, heck, every petrol station and car parts store in the UK in an effort to get more LFS spy photos.
This thread is closed

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG