The online racing simulator
Post your Last Purchase!
(7017 posts, started )
Quote from E.Reiljans :You could also just grab a 20m of RJ45 for $10.

Yes, but could you run and install that cable in 5 minutes?
Quote from E.Reiljans :You could also just grab a 20m of RJ45 for $10.

Yes but it looks a bit of a mess having this random bit of cable running the length of your house. Also I was unwilling to excavate the walls of my house and redecorate about 60% of the rooms. I probably could have hidden about half of the cable's length under the floorboards (no carpet), but it would still have looked like a pretty damn good mess. Also I don't have time to lift and replace all those floorboards.

And you refer to powerline adapters as shit... I just did another speed test and got 7.32 mbps, which is good enough considering my connection is 8mpbs. The fact of the matter is it works for those of us whose house is more than just a box to accommodate computer hardware.

Quote from Jakg :Yes, but could you run and install that cable in 5 minutes?

Of course he could :rolleyes:
Quote from Jakg :Yes, but could you run and install that cable in 5 minutes?

Yes, I could, in fact, that's about how much it took me to install mine (not counting crimping and testing).
Quote from E.Reiljans :Yes, I could, in fact, that's about how much it took me to install mine (not counting crimping and testing).

Well good for you.

Unfortunately, not an option for me - would take a day or so to do. Plus, last time I did it the cable broke, and I couldn't face doing it all over again, so now I'm using PowerLine networking. More than fast enough for what I use it for.

2 of those.

Hmmm
Quote from rockclan :[some beer]

2 of those.

Hmmm

I'm pretty sure that this boddle isn't even that big in real life...
Quote from E.Reiljans :Yes, I could, in fact, that's about how much it took me to install mine (not counting crimping and testing).

so, that's a no then. crimping and testing is part of the install process...
Haven't bought it yet... it's an online auction and i hope i'll win...

Quote from JO53PHS :And you refer to powerline adapters as shit... I just did another speed test and got 7.32 mbps, which is good enough considering my connection is 8mpbs. The fact of the matter is it works for those of us whose house is more than just a box to accommodate computer hardware.

The quality depends on the electrics in your house. If they are good quality power lines, no worries. But if you have shitty electrics, put in by a drunken monkey, they aren't as good. They are a great alternative to WiFi if you have a recently rewired house (I'd say within the last 15 years), but obviously no match for a properly wired up network.

Of course, practicality means they are becoming very popular for obvious reasons. 5 minute install, rather than 5 days.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :Ohh is that out?

Not very good on medium settings though. ;p

Linkage
Quote from jibber :Haven't bought it yet... it's an online auction and i hope i'll win...

You placed a bid on an old cash register?

Quote from dadge :so, that's a no then. crimping and testing is part of the install process...

Testing is not part of install process, and crimping takes 30 seconds at worst.
Quote from E.Reiljans :Testing is not part of install process, and crimping takes 30 seconds at worst.

testing is part of the install process. how else are you meant to know you installed something correctly? how do you know the cable is not faulty?
who ever told you that testing is not part of the install process has their head up their own arse.
Quote from dadge :how do you know the cable is not faulty?

By buying good UTP from well known manufacturers with good reputation.
Quote from E.Reiljans :By buying good UTP from well known manufacturers with good reputation.

who have failure margins?
Quote from E.Reiljans :By buying good UTP from well known manufacturers with good reputation.

Even then you'll still test your work. I do it for a living and most of the install time focuses around testing. Any prat can throw cable in the wall.
Quote from dadge :testing is part of the install process. how else are you meant to know you installed something correctly? how do you know the cable is not faulty?
who ever told you that testing is not part of the install process has their head up their own arse.

what to test? plug it in and see if you have internet?

I am currently online using a 30m cable too lol.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Even then you'll still test your work. I do it for a living and most of the install time focuses around testing. Any prat can throw cable in the wall.

What's the point of testing a 20m cut of UTP, when the whole 100m roll it was cut off has been factory-tested?
Quote from E.Reiljans :What's the point of testing a 20m cut of UTP, when the whole 100m roll it was cut off has been factory-tested?

Because you can easily damage cable, if you crimp it badly it isn't going to work, so you'll test it after cutting the cable to size and crimping. Then again after it is in situation to make sure you haven't cracked any of the cable, usually a small chance of this happening, but it is better you find out before you redecorate than after. This is even more important now plumbing the building with fibre optic cable is becoming popular.

Quote from JJ72 :what to test? plug it in and see if you have internet?

I am currently online using a 30m cable too lol.

We use a cable tester at work which can detect if there is noise on the line cause by ****ing up somewhere, but if you want to save many pounds for the testing kit, just plug it in and see if it works.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Because you can easily damage cable, if you crimp it badly it isn't going to work, so you'll test it after cutting the cable to size and crimping.

I don't usually crimp cables badly, but when I do, I usually notice it immediately.

I actually stole it from my brother, but in the end, it's the same...
stealing is not the same as purchasing!
neeeeeeeeeext!
Quote from matijapkc :Keyboard

I actually stole it from my brother, but in the end, it's the same...

ive got the very same...bought it for...3€ new
why steal it...its so darn cheap
I got almost the same also...only with more buttons, got it for free

Post your Last Purchase!
(7017 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG