The online racing simulator
Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
335s also have twin turbos = more overhead to tune with!
Dan a remap on a 320d will net you about 175-185 depending on the tuner. If you want to then go further you will need to run a hybrid turbo. £850

Although doing that causes more problems.. Firstly is clutch - very unlikely to be able to take the torque of a hybrid turbo. You will need to upgrade to a paddle clutch and appropriate flywheel which can be £1000. I'm not sure what the injectors are like on a 320d but if they are nearly at max duty cycle after a remap, those will need upgrading as well in order to see higher gains. You can't just whack a hybrid turbo onto a car and run it at 28psi. If there's not enough fuel to pass through it can cause a lot of damage. A set of higher performance but second hand injectors (usually from other models but which fit your application) are around £300.

Again I'm not sure whether the 320d has a FMIC or a SMIC (and if you don't know what these are then don't bother tuning anything) but if it only has a SMIC, you'll need to upgrade to an FMIC, of which a cheapy-ebay one can be had for about £200. You'll then need to uprate the boost pipes to aftermarket silicone ones with decent fixtures and fittings. £150.

I'm not sure what the internals on the 320d can take, on my Golf which comes out the factory with 105, you can happy run 220bhp all day without any internal work. Once you go past 250 you'll need uprated cams and pistons so research into this would be necessary.

After all of the above you will need a custom remap, a decent tuner will keep the car for a few days and fine tune every single throttle opening and loading options within the ECU and these cost about £400.

So basically you're looking £3000 to hybridise a diesel including the labour. You can't just put a whacking great big turbo on and run it at, or near to, standard pressure either. doesn't work like that unfortuantely. anyway best of luck merry christmas.
Also, why would you tune a diesel? I'm not a hater or anything, I drive a 525 TDS daily. But once you already decided you want more power, why don't you get a 25i or something stronger?
All i see in that post is: im not sure,im not sure,than again im not sure.

Stock bmw clutches can handle 300 hp easily,engine internals are good for biig hp,without any upgraded headgasket and craps.
If he only wants a little bigger turbo and remap,he'll be just fine.
Quote from Töki (HUN) :Also, why would you tune a diesel? I'm not a hater or anything, I drive a 525 TDS daily. But once you already decided you want more power, why don't you get a 25i or something stronger?

Because some people will do 25+k a year in their cars, and the cost of a petrol vs a diesel would be a killer.
Quote from Jakg :Because some people will do 25+k a year in their cars, and the cost of a petrol vs a diesel would be a killer.

Well, that is leveling out to some kind right now...I've already seen gas stations where the petrol was cheaper than the diesel, just saying.
Quote from Stefani24 :Well, that is leveling out to some kind right now...I've already seen gas stations where the petrol was cheaper than the diesel, just saying.

Petrol is cheaper than diesel in the UK and has been for a while - but you wont find a quick petrol doing 40+ MPG but you'll easily get that from a lot of diesels.
Quote from e2mustang :All i see in that post is: im not sure,im not sure,than again im not sure.

Stock bmw clutches can handle 300 hp easily,engine internals are good for biig hp,without any upgraded headgasket and craps.
If he only wants a little bigger turbo and remap,he'll be just fine.

The only problem with your theory is that clutches are rated to BHP where in actual fact they are rated to a torque loading. BHP does not kill clutches, it's the torque that causes them to slip. With a custom map and a hybrid turbo, if he is running say 210bhp and 350lb ft torque, which is about right, the clutch will not be able to take it for very long. I very very very much doubt BMW provide a clutch capable of running 50% more torque than standard, that would be a massive over kill. Automatics are better for tuning anyway, in the case of my VW scene the DSG gearboxes are the ones to pick if you want big powa.

Quote from Töki (HUN) :Also, why would you tune a diesel? I'm not a hater or anything, I drive a 525 TDS daily. But once you already decided you want more power, why don't you get a 25i or something stronger?

Personally I prefer a diesel to a petrol. Although the cost savings are something to do with it as well...although I am getting a Golf Mk5 GTI next, that's because they manage to do 40mpg on a cruise, my car is about as quick as a GTI in gear but I average 55mpg!
im still on my OE clutch. 350 hp and even more torque. Bmw could be really ashamed of themself if i make 50 hp change on my car and i have to put in a 5000 $ smg trans lets say.
He can change clutch and flywheel to aftermarket if it will slip,but i very much doubt just on experience with bmw's.
Expect an update from Danthebangerboy soon, was out playing with his skirt yesterday lunchtime
Quote from robt :was out playing with his skirt yesterday lunchtime

how is that in any way related to cars though?
Quote from S14 DRIFT :The only problem with your theory is that clutches are rated to BHP where in actual fact they are rated to a torque loading. BHP does not kill clutches, it's the torque that causes them to slip. With a custom map and a hybrid turbo, if he is running say 210bhp and 350lb ft torque, which is about right, the clutch will not be able to take it for very long. I very very very much doubt BMW provide a clutch capable of running 50% more torque than standard, that would be a massive over kill. Automatics are better for tuning anyway, in the case of my VW scene the DSG gearboxes are the ones to pick if you want big powa.

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than open it and remove all doubt."
Mark Twain
Quote from S14 DRIFT :DSG gearboxes are the ones to pick if you want big powa.

Until they go wrong and you have massive repair bills
Quote from robt :Expect an update from Danthebangerboy soon, was out playing with his skirt yesterday lunchtime

I dont wear skirts rob

take it you drove by as i was sorting out the beer disaster i had, was given a crate from work, a few bumps later and a can punctured all over the passenger footwell, what a bloody mess lol
Quote from Klutch :
2step activated, sitting on the limiter, dump clutch, jolts foward and then just starts freerevving. Shifts into all gears fine, tow-roped it down to a mates place that lives 1km away. Pretty sure we've snapped the input shaft...box gets pulled out this weekend and inspect of damage begins :P

Well we finally got the box out.

Was close! We snapped the output shaft clean in half.

Quote from ajp71 :
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than open it and remove all doubt."
Mark Twain

Either prove me wrong or **** off. Cheers.

Quote from R34GTR :Until they go wrong and you have massive repair bills

Yeah some have problems but most people I've heard haven't had any problems at all. If you have a full VW service (especially in regards to the DSG oil changes, etc) history normally VW will honour any after-warranty claims or at least offer 70% contribution which takes it from like £3000 to £500.. Although the mechatronic units are scarily expensive...normally about £3500!! Although having the higher torque limit means that in my case I wouldn't have had to spend £600 on an uprated clutch and single mass flywheel !
Finally got it out.

thats what she said
Wait until he tries to get it back in..
Rofl!
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Either prove me wrong or **** off. Cheers.

Yeah some have problems but most people I've heard haven't had any problems at all. If you have a full VW service (especially in regards to the DSG oil changes, etc) history normally VW will honour any after-warranty claims or at least offer 70% contribution which takes it from like £3000 to £500.. Although the mechatronic units are scarily expensive...normally about £3500!! Although having the higher torque limit means that in my case I wouldn't have had to spend £600 on an uprated clutch and single mass flywheel !

no, they wont and don't.

original issue DSG box is a 4-5000 euro fix, depending on supply/demand.

though the second issue are good, nothing compares to a well built 5/6 speed imho.
This thread is closed

Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG