The online racing simulator
Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
Just buy a proper tool to change your wheels.. Will make your life 10x easier.
Quote from KiRmelius :Never release nuts like this! Lift the lever, or step on it with a foot. My grandpa taught me this, in 50 years when working as a driver he had seen plenty of people damaging their faces while changing wheels . Also, use a tube to make wrench longer, if nut isn't giving up.

I don't any more, I did once many years ago, never again, now I lift.

Quote from Scrabby :Just buy a proper tool to change your wheels.. Will make your life 10x easier.

I have the proper tools, but I was too lazy to get them out. But if you can't change a wheel with the tools that come with your car you'll be buggered if you get a puncher.
ive a 4 ft bar as leverage on a generic cross bar which works alot better then a gun, because if its not gonna budge it'll just sheer right off the hub
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :But if you can't change a wheel with the tools that come with your car you'll be buggered if you get a puncher.

Try changing a tire with the tools that come with 99-00 Focus... Those are most likely the worst tools to change a tire, they just didnt work. I have a mate who punctured his tire on a kerb, and it's really fun to attempt to change a tire with the wrench from the focus... it had an extendable end, but all we could manage was to bend it in a 90 degree angle... Friend ended up walking 2 kilometers to the gas station to borrow a proper wrench :|
Quote from nikopdr :Try changing a tire with the tools that come with 99-00 Focus... Those are most likely the worst tools to change a tire, they just didnt work. I have a mate who punctured his tire on a kerb, and it's really fun to attempt to change a tire with the wrench from the focus... it had an extendable end, but all we could manage was to bend it in a 90 degree angle... Friend ended up walking 2 kilometers to the gas station to borrow a proper wrench :|

Those daft extendible tyre irons should be banned. They are as useful as a chocolate tea-cosy.
I'm fairly certain they work just fine, provided the nuts are tightened to specification
Quote from morpha :I'm fairly certain they work just fine, provided the nuts are tightened to specification

Of course, unfortunately a lot of garages don't like to torque up wheels because it takes time, so they just windy gun (or knuckle bar) them on. But there are a lot of factors which mean you need more force to take off a nut/bolt than you torqued them up to.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Of course, unfortunately a lot of garages don't like to torque up wheels because it takes time, so they just windy gun (or knuckle bar) them on.

I know, I added the "" because we've got the same problem here.

Quote from P5YcHoM4N :But there are a lot of factors which mean you need more force to take off a nut/bolt than you torqued them up to.

Well most Austrians change wheels/tyres twice a year, mandatory winter tyres, you know. Doesn't give them much time to corrode / rust / get stuck somehow.
Quote from morpha :I know, I added the "" because we've got the same problem here.

Good point well made.

Quote from morpha :Well most Austrians change wheels/tyres twice a year, mandatory winter tyres, you know. Doesn't give them much time to corrode / rust / get stuck somehow.

Even better point. I've had to get the wheels off a car that had been there for around 5 years. Absolute bastard, was worried about snapping one off in the hub.
I've once repaired a puncture on this thing http://fotoarmor.narod.ru/auto_modern/gaz_51/gaz-51-02b.jpg , nuts weren't moved for a long time too, but with long leverage and good Russian tools it wasn't a big problem. Much bigger problem was to get the tyre off the rim, it was stuck as hell. It took one hour of smashing it with a huge hammer, until the tyre came off.

Funny thing about that truck, tread on left side hub bolts is reversed, you have to turn it clockwise to remove. Took me a while until I figured it out
And hammer. Enough to conquer a small country.
I doubt it. Russia couldn't even conquer Finland!
Quote from KiRmelius :Funny thing about that truck, tread on left side hub bolts is reversed, you have to turn it clockwise to remove. Took me a while until I figured it out

It is the same with all large vehicles (large vans and up). The reasoning behind it is as the vehicle goes forwards it'll tighten the bolts.
im pretty sure you got it the wrong way round and the idea is that theyll tighten during braking where torques are much higher
Quote from Shotglass :im pretty sure you got it the wrong way round and the idea is that theyll tighten during braking where torques are much higher

Probably that, it is a long time since I did this in college so my memory is a bit fuzzy, I just know one side is reverse threaded on all large vehicles to help keep the nuts tight.
So when you accidently spin the wheels the bolts will fly off? Dayumm!!
Quote from Scrabby :So when you accidently spin the wheels the bolts will fly off? Dayumm!!

No worries, brake hard, and they'll come back.
6boost manifold arrived

Single turbo time is almost here!
I am painting all chrome on my car flat black, i now have yellow high beams just for extra hp and classyness.
If thats a dig at the manifold because its not stainless, its actually ceramic coated.
Quote from G!NhO :I am painting all chrome on my car flat black

DIY shadowline?
Quote from Töki (HUN) :DIY shadowline?

Heel yeah! Will look fresh.

And i will also give all black parts on the car a new coat of paint.
Quote from G!NhO :I am painting all chrome on my car flat black, i now have yellow high beams just for extra hp and classyness.

nice chrome is for gypsys
This thread is closed

Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG