The online racing simulator
Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :ah the lower lip is missing...thats it.
couldnt tell

That isn't through choice. He crashed on a roundabout.
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :ah the lower lip is missing...thats it.
couldnt tell

ahh yeah forgot about the missing lower lip XD

Quote from P5YcHoM4N :That isn't through choice. He crashed on a roundabout.

damn roundabouts
Quote from Derv94 :...damn roundabouts

(off-topic, but hey, so's the rest of this thread.. lol) Was visiting my cousin in CO somewhat recently, (who's about 1600 miles west of me), & encountered my first roundabout ever @ midnight after having driven 17 hours straight. End result was cop lights, haha. Thankfully dude was understanding/didn't ticket me for going around it bassackwards.
Quote from Tinytacohead :(off-topic, but hey, so's the rest of this thread.. lol) Was visiting my cousin in CO somewhat recently, (who's about 1600 miles west of me), & encountered my first roundabout ever @ midnight after having driven 17 hours straight. End result was cop lights, haha. Thankfully dude was understanding/didn't ticket me for going around it bassackwards.

Easy rule to remember. RIGHT of way. Always give way to the guy on the right. IMHO, that should've changed to Left in left hand drive market, but as I understand it, you still give way to cars on the right.

Roundabouts are, apparently, the source of the British sense of humour. So you're welcome world.
I didn't even know/wasn't expecting a roundabout, (or even knew we had em yet here).. took the exit and all of a sudden there was a goofy circular mess of lines. (thankfully, with nobody but me & said cop around, lol)
Yay, I am now awesome like Jak, behold! Completely safe and legal driving. If only the other road users were as considerate. I was concerned when I came across a school bus that had left it's lane and was now in mine.

* Tbh, it isn't anything special, just my normal drive to and from work, I stripped all audio because I couldn't be bothered to find some copyright free tunage.
Quote from Tinytacohead :I didn't even know/wasn't expecting a roundabout, (or even knew we had em yet here).. took the exit and all of a sudden there was a goofy circular mess of lines. (thankfully, with nobody but me & said cop around, lol)

Roundabouts were the scariest thing for me about driving in the USA. Approx. 0.05% of American drivers know what to do with one, and the rest just hold tight, close their eyes and pray.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :How isn't running airbags proper suspension? It is more suspension than running so low you're permanently on bumpstops.

Well I'm just speaking generally. I know I'd want Shock'n'springs over airbags anyday.
I'm back! ..and now I have more time to use on lfsforum since golf looks like this

tomorrow to look even better
Attached images
2012-10-03_19-56-47_877s.jpg
Umm... What happened?
Took the front off to make more space. Differential is done so I'm taking off the gearbox and probably have to find a new one to fit in. Hard to find any decent used ones, and new one probably costs more than my wallet allows it to cost..
You're taking the whole front off to get the gearbox out?
Quote from 5tag :You're taking the whole front off to get the gearbox out?

Yeah makes it easier to acces it... To take out the gearbox you have to take the enige and subframe out too i believe.
I had my clutch changed on my Mk3 Golf a few months ago which involved taking the gearbox completely out. Sat there and watched it be done and the front end never came off, nor did the engine. And it was done in 4 hours too.
Quote from Migz :I had my clutch changed on my Mk3 Golf a few months ago which involved taking the gearbox completely out. Sat there and watched it be done and the front end never came off, nor did the engine. And it was done in 4 hours too.

Could be because you don't have to take the front off, only bad mechanics do that. All it takes is a bit of intelligent thinking to manoeuvre the gearbox out of the sub frame. It does requite some upper body strength though as you can't get away with using lifts.

Pop the CVs, drop the box, change clutch, manhandle box into place and return CVs. All you need is a standard toolbox and an engine bar (one of these).
Quote from G!NhO :Yeah makes it easier to acces it... To take out the gearbox you have to take the enige and subframe out too i believe.

This. Makes it whole a lot easier to take the gearbox off. Engine can stand there but it needs to be supported. I'm doing this 50cm off ground on car stands.

Quote from Migz :I had my clutch changed on my Mk3 Golf a few months ago which involved taking the gearbox completely out. Sat there and watched it be done and the front end never came off, nor did the engine. And it was done in 4 hours too.

Yeah, car probably was high off the ground to make it easy to be worked under it? I don't really wonder why you didn't do the work yourself... (something to do with your retardness ive come past to see)

Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Could be because you don't have to take the front off, only bad mechanics do that. All it takes is a bit of intelligent thinking to manoeuvre the gearbox out of the sub frame. It does requite some upper body strength though as you can't get away with using lifts.

How does it make me a bad mechanic to give me a lot more space to work on and makes the job a lot easier? Front comes off in two minutes, now why I wouldn't take it off to make the work more comfortable?
Quote from Tomba(FIN) :How does it make me a bad mechanic to give me a lot more space to work on and makes the job a lot easier? Front comes off in two minutes, now why I wouldn't take it off to make the work more comfortable?

By bad mechanic I was really referring to those who get paid for their time as you have increased the time required for this job by doing it that way. It is work you don't need to do? I used to work under trolley jacks and axle stands and never needed to remove the front of a Golf or the engine to change the clutch. You've given yourself way more work than you needed to do an easy job.

But I suppose a Golf on axle stands with the gearbox dragged out from under it doesn't look as good on a forum. Since you have the front off you might as well do a full service and give the engine bay a good clean down and repaint.
I have replaced clutch on MK2 golf a couple of times, and it's easy to do it without removing the front. The engine and gearbox on MK3 is very similar I guess. The tricky part is to put it back in, quite difficult to put the shaft in the clutch disc when you have no lift and do it by hand.
Quote from KiRmelius :The tricky part is to put it back in, quite difficult to put the shaft in the clutch disc when you have no lift and do it by hand.

yep, that's where it comes handy to have a friend to support from the front, and it is easier with the front off.
Quote from KiRmelius :I have replaced clutch on MK2 golf a couple of times, and it's easy to do it without removing the front. The engine and gearbox on MK3 is the same I guess. The tricky part is to put it back in, quite difficult to put the shaft in the clutch disc when you have no lift and do it by hand.

FTFY ;

In VAG FAG circles the Mk3 is known as the fat Mk2.
Quote from Tomba(FIN) :yep, that's where it comes handy to have a friend to support from the front, and it is easier with the front off.

We did it on the bridge, and I had another human being hold the gearbox from the top with a belt.
Another few cool photo's

This thread is closed

Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG