The online racing simulator
Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
Quote from doyal :The main purpose was to de-gay the front of the car (subjective) However, the 150kg of downforce it creates at 60mph was quite the bonus!

When i finally get the new clutch and the new rear suspension fitted to my 5 i will be able to have that kind of fun again, god i have missed it this winter.
lip on MX5 looks dope, wont do shit at low speed, velocity's relationship to downforce increases exponentially by the power of 2 (L = 0.5 x rho x CL x A x V^2 -- V being velocity, L being Lift), so it's not as simple as at 50k's an hour, you will have half the downforce effect of 100k's, hence why F1's are pretty pathetic at low speeds.

but doesnt matter, it looks good, so who gives a shit?
Quote from nisskid :(L = 0.5 x rho x CL x A x V^2 -- V being velocity, L being Lift),

I'm going to just pretend i understood that.
Quote from nisskid :lip on MX5 looks dope, wont do shit at low speed, velocity's relationship to downforce increases exponentially by the power of 2 (L = 0.5 x rho x CL x A x V^2 -- V being velocity, L being Lift), so it's not as simple as at 50k's an hour, you will have half the downforce effect of 100k's, hence why F1's are pretty pathetic at low speeds.

but doesnt matter, it looks good, so who gives a shit?

Which was exactly what I was trying to say. It's useless on a car you're not actually going fast in, and where you don't even need the miniscule downforce it's gonna give at ANY speed. While even F1 front wings are pathetic at 100 kph, this little lip is even more so.

It doesn't matter though, as the joke just didn't seem very apparent to me.

Quote from Klutch :I'm going to just pretend i understood that.

You need an explanation? It's not very advanced.
Quote from Shotglass :and how exactly are 15kg of downforce (i rather doubt its anywhere near as much) on the front going to help in an rwd that hasnt had any df added to the rear?

It'll give it more front end grip so even more likely to snap out the rear end.
Which depending on your driving style could be a good thing.
Quote from Klutch :I'm going to just pretend i understood that.

and im going to pretend i knew that equation off the top of my head.
I LOVE SNOW, but my bank account doesn't...
Quote from G!NhO :I LOVE SNOW, but my bank account doesn't...

What? No cash to refuel the bimmer?
I dooo but still it just eats so much fuel.
u dont have to floor it all the way at all times.just give small taps
Quote from nisskid :velocity's relationship to downforce increases exponentially by the power of 2

polynomially........
drag and downfroce are o(v^2) not O(a^v) (i forgot if its o or O and cant be bothered to look it up right now so just pretend i got it right on both)

Quote from P5YcHoM4N :It'll give it more front end grip so even more likely to snap out the rear end.
Which depending on your driving style could be a good thing.

if it would actually put out 150kg (equiv) of df on the front wheels at 100kmh it wouldnt give you more front end grip it would give you practically only front end grip to the point where the car becomes undriveable

if you wanna get an idea of what it would be like go into lfs choose the bf1 set the aero test speed in the setup menu to ~27m/s and see if you can even set the front wing to generate 1500N (hint you cant itll only give you about half of that at max angle)
on a road car the back end would probably generate lift so youll have to set the rear wing as low as itll go and then try for yourself if you can keep it straight
Quote from Shotglass :if it would actually put out 150kg (equiv) of df on the front wheels at 100kmh it wouldnt give you more front end grip it would give you practically only front end grip to the point where the car becomes undriveable

if you wanna get an idea of what it would be like go into lfs choose the bf1 set the aero test speed in the setup menu to ~27m/s and see if you can even set the front wing to generate 1500N (hint you cant itll only give you about half of that at max angle)
on a road car the back end would probably generate lift so youll have to set the rear wing as low as itll go and then try for yourself if you can keep it straight

That is why I changed it to 15kg. There is no way in hell that spliter would put out even close to 150, hell, 15 is a big ask. It will generate more drag than down force.

I am aware that shit tonnes of front end down force would make the car undrivable, but the small gains a spilter would produce on a road car would be just enough to make the back end a little more lively. Assuming it is correctly designed. Otherwise all it will do is blunt top end, increase fuel use and/or look pretty.
Quote from e2mustang :u dont have to floor it all the way at all times.just give small taps

Yes tats what i am doing but still, not that i really cqre thoug its so much fun :d
My CAR :)

Stocker grill with black is on for now; trying to fix the fitment on the AE grill.

SRI install sometime this week.
looking into doing a balance shaft delete and VTCS delete.
Pretty much done with the outside minus wheels and coils, time to move to power I suppose :/

Looks weird right now only because the roof isn't black yet; that will come.. hopefully sooner than later.

Also looks weird because it was taken with a cell phone instead of my camera.. I bet when I get some pics during the SRI install it will look better.
I really like your car.

What makes me laugh though is the whole view of vehicle modification on this forum. I have the feeling if anyone who was less 'respected' than you would recieve a whole bunch of "OMFG CHAV" comments or that modifying the exterior of your car is stupid blah blah.
That is because if we bag on his car- with the hideous rear spoiler, front splitter, eye lids, pointless practise of leaving the tow hook in all of the time, etc- he'll ban us.
Quote from XCNuse :

Looks weird right now only because the roof isn't black yet; that will come.. hopefully sooner than later.

may i suggest you the carbon fiber vinyl by 3M ? it works great and looks awesome !

i am thinking about do mine 1 day.. who knows..
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :That is because if we bag on his car- with the hideous rear spoiler, front splitter, eye lids, pointless practise of leaving the tow hook in all of the time, etc- he'll ban us.

or steal our avatars
You'd get a substantial fine for having the tow hook there when driving around here.. Imagine what that will do to a pedestrian.
Quote from RasmusL :You'd get a substantial fine for having the tow hook there when driving around here.. Imagine what that will do to a pedestrian.

I think if you're going to get hit buy a car, a towhook is the least of the persons worries.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :That is because if we bag on his car- with the hideous rear spoiler, front splitter, eye lids, pointless practise of leaving the tow hook in all of the time, etc- he'll ban us.

Oh I see.

Well also, just thought you might want to laugh but my Corsa ate a water pipe (was rubbing on the timing belt) and wore through, stranded me in the middle of nowhere at 6:40am, took 4 hours to get a recovery truck, ended up with hypothermia. Car needs a new radiator, hose, etc. Total cost including recovery for 10 miles from where I broke down to the Vauxhall dealer, over £600.

F dat.
Quote from Klutch :I think if you're going to get hit buy a car, a towhook is the least of the persons worries.

Not at all, that (solid!) hook can cause severe injury at much lower speeds than that area of the (flexible!) bumper would cause otherwise. Think about the area the blow will be distributed over compared to the essentially pointy end of the hook.
Quote from e2mustang :may i suggest you the carbon fiber vinyl by 3M ? it works great and looks awesome !

i am thinking about do mine 1 day.. who knows..

This. The 3M stuff looks pretty neat for a vinyl wrap actually.

And still lolling about the downforce discussion on the GV lip on Doyals car.

XCnuse: I may have read over it, but is it a speed3? I loved the 3 when we still had one and only drove speed3 once and had a blast. I love the white on this car
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Oh I see.

Well also, just thought you might want to laugh but my Corsa ate a water pipe (was rubbing on the timing belt) and wore through, stranded me in the middle of nowhere at 6:40am, took 4 hours to get a recovery truck, ended up with hypothermia. Car needs a new radiator, hose, etc. Total cost including recovery for 10 miles from where I broke down to the Vauxhall dealer, over £600.

F dat.

Erm, do you not have AA cover? If not, you should really spend the few bob a year and get some.

And why do you need a new rad when a water pipe burst? Unless someone put a spanner through the rad it'll be fine just replace the pipe. However, as the cam belt was making contact with the water pipe (why do you not have a cam belt cover?) I'd inspect that for damage. If there are any signs of wear, change it. It'll save you an engine.
This thread is closed

Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG