The online racing simulator
Cockpit View Only
(295 posts, started )

Poll : Realism or Arcade

Realism: Cockpit view, behind the steering wheel, just like in real life.
Arcade: Wonder Woman invisible cars, God's eye view, Linda Blair look completly around, etc.
Quote from Blackout :And if you are not using the cockpit view, you are not having the LFS experience like it's meant to.

That comes pretty close to that IMO.

And this discussion has already been done countless times with no result whatsoever.
Quote from zeugnimod :If that's the only way LFS is meant to be played why is there an option for chase view? As long as there is an option to use chase view I will drive in that way

I knew you would come up with that.

Point is, LFS is supposed to be a simulator. You do not drive a real car behind it, it doesn't have the same challenge than from cockpit. I'm not saying it's easier, I'm saying it's unrealistic.

I can't tell why it's still there, maybe as a way to easily get the dimensions of the car as you can't physically walk around it. Maybe because all driving games have always had it, maybe because that's the easiest way to count the amount of exhaust pipe your XRT has. I seriously have no idea, but it seems that cockpit view is getting more attention by the devs. Move to cockpit view now and start learning it, so you don't have to moan and bitch about it if it gets removed. You might actually get faster in the long run, have a try, it's not that you can get much slower is it?

Quote :If you have fun driving that way, then just do it. But don't tell others how they are supposed to play.

It's about having equal playing ground with the same view, not having possible advantages and having something that resembles real life view this beating the dead horse is all about.
Quote from Blackout :And if you are not using the cockpit view, you are not having the LFS experience like it's meant to.

.......So thats the best you can do to support your argument that someone is telling you how to drive...hmmmm!

- More a statement of fact , - than a command.

Actually I would say that, that is probably true of any driving game that calls itself a "Simulator".

As I say, each to his own, - but lets not pretend its a level playing field eh?

Its all relative anyway,
- is it fair that I drive in a dedicated racing room with a decent PC, a top quality Simracing chassis, good controls, a 37 inch flatscreen, track IR, decent sounds, etc etc.
And you may be racing me with a keyboard using your laptop screen - possibly in the same room as the rest of your family with all of its distractions, - how fair is that?

If we were both using cockpit view, it still would not be fair would it?
Quote from Blackout :Move to cockpit view now and start learning it, so you don't have to moan and bitch about it if it gets removed. You might actually get faster in the long run, have a try, it's not that you can get much slower is it?

Yes, I will probably have to do that when chase view gets removed which is very likely to happen. I also see your reasons for it being more realistic etc. but as long as I can I will go on driving in the view I prefer. I'm just not a member of the "realism nazi club".

And I'm not that slow. I beat you in one race of the Adaptive MRT Challenge!
Quote from Polyracer :
Actually I would say that, that is probably true of any driving game that calls itself a "Simulator".

Yes that was what I was saying. Simulator being the key word.

Quote :As I say, each to his own, - but lets not pretend its a level playing field eh?

If we were both using cockpit view, it still would not be fair would it?

Well of course it's never going to be equal, but you can level it out a bit with small things.

Quote from zeugnimod :

And I'm not that slow. I beat you in one race of the Adaptive MRT Challenge!

Well touché sir, touché.
This AGAIN?!?!

Please, give me a break! and put your Chip and Dale to work, will you?!

How can someone ever think using the cockpit view will make LFS more realistic?!

Do you drive a real car with NO WINDOWS, using a 17" or 19" screen with no depth sense right in front of you?!?!

Try to cover all the windows on your car, put a camera on the windshield, right in front of the driver, and then connect that camera to a 17" or 19" monitor that you will place right above the wheel.

Then, I dare you to make just 5 Km on any road with moderate traffic...

Is this clear enough for all the "LETS MAKE IT ONLY COCKPIT VIEW IN THE NAME OF REALISM" movement?!?!?!?

JESUS!!!!!!!

I'm sorry, but we have discussed (A LOT) this before, and I don't know why is it back!
Quote from eRaptor :
How can someone ever think using the cockpit view will make LFS more realistic?!

It's absolute bullshit it doesn't make it any more realistic, it may not be 1:1 which is never going to be possible anyway, but it's closer than having your eyes 6 meters behind the car isn't it?

And reduce the amount of capitals and exclamation marks please. You can so easily come across as a real wanker that way.
Quote from Blackout :...And reduce the amount of capitals and exclamation marks please. You can so easily come across as a real wanker that way.

Don't actually know what a wanker is, but I doubt that's a compliment...

Anyway you'r right about your remark, but I didn't come to the forum for a while, and what do I see when I come back?
-Another idiot post about the same idiot idea of restricting LFS to a "cockpit" view only...
I don't know why,(or maybe I do) but it got me MAD! (no worries, I'm calmer now)
Quote from Blackout :It's absolute bullshit it doesn't make it any more realistic, it may not be 1:1 which is never going to be possible anyway, but it's closer than having your eyes 6 meters behind the car isn't it?

And reduce the amount of capitals and exclamation marks please. You can so easily come across as a real wanker that way.

/me puts arm around Blackout's shoulder and leads him away from this pointless argument. They won't EVER see it our way but it's down to them. You're banging your head against a brick wall. Just look out for FCV servers. *cough* dMr
Quote from Doorman :They won't EVER see it our way but it's down to them.

/me says the same to eRaptor.
Quote from Doorman :/me puts arm around Blackout's shoulder and leads him away from this pointless argument. They won't EVER see it our way but it's down to them. You're banging your head against a brick wall. Just look out for FCV servers. *cough* dMr

Your WAY or no WAY.
I really like when someone can't take the eyes of their own belly button.
#87 - JTbo
I don't have 17" screen, not even 19" screen, I need to turn my head to see dashboard instruments or road But I really wish everyone would have nice VR set and moving seat, force cockpit view would be very useful for people that have such (too bad I'm not one of those).

But I find that in cockpit there is better immersion of driving a car, some things have to do with immersion some with realism, physics wise all should be made simulated as it is in real world, but don't know how view should be considered, that is perhaps more like interface where some compromises are required unfortainly.

Luckily there is option to use on server, set force cockpit mode on and there won't be problem, others can leave it off and enjoy what view they prefer, not a big problem.
Quote from JTbo :Luckily there is option to use on server, set force cockpit mode on and there won't be problem, others can leave it off and enjoy what view they prefer, not a big problem.

Exactly!
Quote from JTbo :Luckily there is option to use on server, set force cockpit mode on and there won't be problem, others can leave it off and enjoy what view they prefer, not a big problem.

Yes but I also want an server option for forced wheel/clutch/shifter users now too for the similar reasons
#90 - JTbo
Quote from Glenn67 :Yes but I also want an server option for forced wheel/clutch/shifter users now too for the similar reasons

Well that we would like, do we? At least I do, when it is so that only clutch that is axis will do, button clutches would not be allowed
If you had of asked me a few days ago I would of said "that's an outrage and discrimination" but now I say "I want the option to drive only against other clutch and shift users who are interested in driving as they would irl"

Oh another server side option I'd like to see is being able to set a required setup or limit setup options to certain paramaters as a server option

Yes I did get a G25 also Jtbo my wife has even encouraged me to build a racing frame also hmm just have to convince her about projector now and I'm set LOL
Just btw, IF this poll were in any way representative LFS would lose almost one quarter of its players/drivers when cockpit view is made the only view available.

Just thought I'd point this out.
Quote from zeugnimod :Just btw, IF this poll were in any way representative LFS would lose almost one quarter of its players/drivers when cockpit view is made the only view available.

Just thought I'd point this out.

I doubt that every person who used chase view would just quit playing LFS, thats like people who, don't know/want to know, how to use chopsticks stop/boycot eating because forks and spoons were banned.

Edit: !Warning! over exageration !Warning!
I would stop.

Why argue? There is a difference in using those views. Advantages/disadvantages or what ever. Just stick it all in FCV and let the choice over servers sort it out.
Forced Cockpit View
Hi,

the forced cokpit view is something i don`t like in lfs... several servers has turned it on and i don´t know why....
i have a handicap with my eyes so i have to make my own view to see most as possible.
i saw that a couple of leagues made this as duty so these leagues are no option for me.
now i want to request the devs to delete this option, cause i think there are some other handicapped racers out there.
Quote from Trekkerfahrer :Hi,

the forced cokpit view is something i don`t like in lfs... several servers has turned it on and i don´t know why....
i have a handicap with my eyes so i have to make my own view to see most as possible.
i saw that a couple of leagues made this as duty so these leagues are no option for me.
now i want to request the devs to delete this option, cause i think there are some other handicapped racers out there.

/me agrees 100%

/me also hopes Tristan doesn't see this post
i am eye handicapped.... i need a custom view.... othoerwise i cannot see distances correctly
I'm sorry for your handicap, but I think most people would disagree with you. For pickup races I suppose it'd be ok, but leagues usually want to simulate car racing as realistically as possible, and chase cam view just isn't...
Quote from Dimitry Gerards :I'm sorry for your handicap, but I think most people would disagree with you. For pickup races I suppose it'd be ok, but leagues usually want to simulate car racing as realistically as possible, and chase cam view just isn't...

Wait for TVE to get here.

Name a league that uses FCV?

Name a RL league/series that has disabled drivers?

DK
I think it is fine as it is because you have a choice. You can choose to race in an FCV server or league, or you can choose to race elsewhere. Removing it completely would alienate the hardcore sim racers. I think in the future LFS will have more server side options, I suspect it will remain at view restrictions and things like Shift+P and car reset though.

Cockpit View Only
(295 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG