The online racing simulator
Cockpit View Only
(295 posts, started )

Poll : Realism or Arcade

Realism: Cockpit view, behind the steering wheel, just like in real life.
Arcade: Wonder Woman invisible cars, God's eye view, Linda Blair look completly around, etc.
Quote from DieKolkrabe :Name a RL league/series that has disabled drivers?

Off the top of my head, WTCC - but I doubt you'll find any RL series that has drivers with sight-related disabilities.
If I were racing in a league and they would make an exception for a visually disabled driver to use other views I wouldn't have a problem with it.... but this is so easy to abuse, how do you check?
Anyway, I only do pickup races, but if I'd ever join a league I'd pick one with FCV

And imho... if you're able to drive with your disability using a custom view I'm pretty sure you can drive with cockpit view as well, maybe you just didn't give it a fair chance and used the other views as a convenience?
-
(Wenom) DELETED by Wenom
Quote from Glenn67 :Yes but I also want an server option for forced wheel/clutch/shifter users now too for the similar reasons

Quote from JTbo :Well that we would like, do we? At least I do, when it is so that only clutch that is axis will do, button clutches would not be allowed

There was a hardcore server after patch X release I think. It used a insim program to kick everyone without proper control methods, wasn't a great success though. But maybe LFS and the community wasn't ready for it yet, the clutch simulation wasn't that good back then.

Can't remember what team ran it though, it was "something hardcore", and the tag was red.

Quote from Trekkerfahrer :i am eye handicapped.... i need a custom view.... othoerwise i cannot see distances correctly

But do you need to have it behind your car? The forced cockpit view now allows your view moved around the cockpit quite a lot.
Quote from Blackout :Can't remember what team ran it though, it was "something hardcore", and the tag was red.

It was dsrc.

What has this thread come to? An "arcade" racer tells a "hardcore" racer on which server he could drive in hardcore mode.

Quote from lefoglamb :I doubt that every person who used chase view would just quit playing LFS, thats like people who, don't know/want to know, how to use chopsticks stop/boycot eating because forks and spoons were banned.

There's a big IF.
Quote from zeugnimod :It was dsrc.

What has this thread come to? An "arcade" racer tells a "hardcore" racer on which server he could drive in hardcore mode.

Well, I would remember the servers I couldn't drive on and was kicked out too. But thanks anyway, dsrc was one possible candidate but I wasn't sure.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :I think it is fine as it is because you have a choice. You can choose to race in an FCV server or league, or you can choose to race elsewhere.

+1 And that's coming from a chase view driver.

I'm sure there are enough league organizers who do leagues for the enjoyment of the participating racers and not to restrict them.
Without meaning to be offensive what exactly is the benefit for you of running the custom camera? I can't really understand the advantage of using a different view.

Quote from xaotik :Off the top of my head, WTCC - but I doubt you'll find any RL series that has drivers with sight-related disabilities.

The real issues with drivers with disabilities IRL is the danger they'll suffer something that makes them loose control of a car, you'll have a far easier time getting a racing license with an adapted car like Zanardi uses (just have to convince them that you're not a liability if you get stuck in a car and have to accept the risk) than a bad diabetic/heart problems who can control a car very well and conventionally but can only at best to speed events after a lot of persuasion, I know a couple of people who are effected like this. Of course for LFS anybody who can manage the 3 essential inputs, however they like, with enough fidelity can race

The best stories of disabled drivers though that I've heard has to be the story of the guy who used to hillclimb a McLaren hillclimb car, with one hand! Apparently he used to hold the wheel with his stump whilst changing gear, a braver man than me
Quote from zeugnimod :It was dsrc.

I don't find anything odd in that, if you would not like from apples and you knew place where they sell perfectly good apples, now someone comes and you know he likes apples, would you not tell him? I would tell him at least, it would just help things work in bigger scale
I saw this coming right when it was implemented in the first place...

I believe the LFS comunity has began to become fragmented, and all for a fallacious issue.

I guess is time to say goodbye to LFS the way we knew it.
Quote from zeugnimod :Just btw, IF this poll were in any way representative LFS would lose almost one quarter of its players/drivers when cockpit view is made the only view available.

Just thought I'd point this out.

Looks like that doesn't matter to the devs...
Does the fact that we all have already paid for the S2 license counts?!

Is like if you have paid for a car, and after a while, the makers come to your house and say: From now on, you are only allowed to enter and exit your car from the passenger window. All the other windows will be closed and the doors locked permanently...
Quote from eRaptor :Looks like that doesn't matter to the devs...
Does the fact that we all have already paid for the S2 license counts?!

Is like if you have paid for a car, and after a while, the makers come to your house and say: From now on, you are only allowed to enter and exit your car from the passenger window. All the other windows will be closed and the doors locked permanently...

Are you sure other views are going to be removed? You are accusing devs ignoring licence holder based on few users opinion what they think would be nice direction of LFS, but that is of course not what devs think, nobody knows what they think, so aren't you being bit unfair here?
Quote from Trekkerfahrer :i am eye handicapped.... i need a custom view.... othoerwise i cannot see distances correctly

There aren't any 'distances' in LFS, you simply look as far as your monitor.
Everyone agrees that this theads allways end in flames (not to mention the endless past discussions)...yet i'm amazed why isn't closed yet.
Quote from JTbo :Are you sure other views are going to be removed? You are accusing devs ignoring licence holder based on few users opinion what they think would be nice direction of LFS, but that is of course not what devs think, nobody knows what they think, so aren't you being bit unfair here?

I'm not accusing the devs of anything...

I'm not taking for a fact that the other views will be removed, but it's a fact that people who doesn't feel comfortable with the forced cockpit view are not allowed to race on a few servers, and on the most part of the leagues!
They all have paid for the license, just like all the others, and now just because they use a different perspective of interaction with the race track, they are excluded from a big part of LFS!

Now tell me that is fair!
There will be different leagues that allow it when there is enough people that are willing to race from some other view than cockpit view.

First people say bring blip/cut option back, now they want view option away, clearly some don't like from realism, maybe then some others need to take same stance to more arcadish features, remove force cockpit view and allow only cockpit view then, how about that?

It is option for reason, so that those that like to get feeling driving a car could enjoy from it, those that don't prefer it are still allowed to be use other views.

Also that separates a bit racers, those that tend to take sim racing bit more serious are going to use cockpit view, so it offers better racing between them, where those that take it less serious will get better racing together with similar minded racers again.

LFS is developing all time, in patch Y it has shown that way looks to be towards more realism which means that for some it might not be way they thought it was, I doubt strongly that in future LFS would be targeted towards casual player, I think it might be far too challenging for casual player
Quote from eRaptor :I'm not accusing the devs of anything...

I'm not taking for a fact that the other views will be removed, but it's a fact that people who doesn't feel comfortable with the forced cockpit view are not allowed to race on a few servers, and on the most part of the leagues!
They all have paid for the license, just like all the others, and now just because they use a different perspective of interaction with the race track, they are excluded from a big part of LFS!

Now tell me that is fair!

It is fair.

It is fair towards those that prefer cockpit view. It is also that most likely those that don't race from cockpit view will find better racing company from other similar minded racers.
Quote from eRaptor :Now tell me that is fair!

Of course it is fair,

The servers that you cannot join are those that want a fair and more realistic driving competition.
The drivers on these servers want everybody to have the same advantages or disadvantages - sounds fair to me.

If you want your fly by wire view, then join a server that allows it - then it is still fair.

Its a bit like joining a server where everybody there has agreed to drive a 400hp car and you want to join with a 500hp car
Guess when we will have the <feature> "Force deactivated shift light"....
Imo the guys who are saying that they will stop playing lfs if custom views will be deleted is exactly like those guys who are moaning about clutch etc...

Just live with it, it's not really hard thing to learn new view
Quote from Polyracer :The servers that you cannot join are those that want a fair and more realistic driving competition.
The drivers on these servers want everybody to have the same advantages or disadvantages - sounds fair to me.

Please....

I say it all again:
Cover all the windows of your car, then put a camera in front of the windshield, put a 17" or 19" monitor above your wheel, and connect the camera to the monitor. Drive 5 Km, in any road or track.
Now tell me is realistic (you probably will, just make your idea prevail)

Quote from Polyracer :Its a bit like joining a server where everybody there has agreed to drive a 400hp car and you want to join with a 500hp car

What?!
If I don't use cockpit view I will have all that advantage?!?! OMG!
(Do I have to try harder to be sarcastic?)
Guess when we will have the <feature> "Force wheel controller"....
Quote :I say it all again:
Cover all the windows of your car, then put a camera in front of the windshield, put a 17" or 19" monitor above your wheel, and connect the camera to the monitor. Drive 5 Km, in any road or track.

I have a 37" widescreen about 1 mtr in front of me - hey guess what, thats about the same size as my real car screen.

And when I am racing I never look out of my side windows (You see, its a bit dangerous) - except when I'm cornering, but then I have the game options set so that as I turn my wheel I can see around the corner - perhaps you need to set your game up properly.
Quote :(Do I have to try harder to be sarcastic?)

No - it seems to come naturally
Quote from eRaptor :I'm not accusing the devs of anything...

Tell me, in real life if the governing body of F1 change the rules and 30% of the drivers don't like it, is it fair? They have invested a hell of alot more than 24 quid, and there whole lively hood could rest on it. Is it fair?

Of course it's fair, you either adjust or move onto something else. If you think everything in life is going to turn out exactly how you want or you will chuck a hissy fit till it does, your in for a rough ride

I've bought countless games which I've had about 2-3 weeks game play out of max before I get dissatified with it, is that fair? Of course it's fair, haven't you ever heard of buyer beware.

You should take more responsibility in your purchase decisions, it's in black and white that LFS is in development when you purchase LFS and therefore you have assesed the risk of it not going the direction you would like and you buy it knowing that risk. If you didn't do that then you have learnt a cheap lesson, as I can assure you, you will get taken for far greater sums of money than 24 pounds if you continue to buy things without suficent thought about the risks involved.

If your truely dissatifed take it as a valuable lesson and move on, else suck it in and adjust to the changes.
Quote from Polyracer :I have a 37" widescreen about 1 mtr in front of me - hey guess what, thats about the same size as my real car screen.

100" and about 1,5m in front of me, still would like to get 2 more to sides
Quote from eRaptor :Please....

I say it all again:

Ok, after you've done that you can compare with a second experiment. Train two pigeons to carry video camera behind your car, paint all your windows black and drive it with a monitor in front of you.

Which one seems more realistic?

Cockpit View Only
(295 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG