The online racing simulator
Cockpit View Only
(295 posts, started )

Poll : Realism or Arcade

Realism: Cockpit view, behind the steering wheel, just like in real life.
Arcade: Wonder Woman invisible cars, God's eye view, Linda Blair look completly around, etc.
Cockpit View Only
I posted a thread about the new restricted views when using TrackIR and had a lot of people tell me that the new 90 degree viewing angle is more real and LFS is going for realism.

I pointed out that that this game still allows the Wonder Woman invisible car view, the Cherry Picker view from above and behind the car, both are which are straight out Arcade mode views, plus custom views from pretty much anywhere.

As many posters said that looking further around than 90 degrees was not possible in real life, I assume, they would also agree that the Wonder Woman and Cherry Picker views should also be removed, as they are not possible in real life either.

So, I would like to know, would people prefer:
I like that the game is getting more realistic, but I don't think we should make ut über realistic, like taking away the virtual mirror in the cars. Since it's impossible to have the same feeling and avarenes in LFS as in real life some things should not be removed or altered too much with in my opinion.

Though I am happy with everything in the new patch so far.
Now this is a poll that's completely unbiased.

I use chase view because I have the most fun driving in that view and that's what it's all about.
#4 - VoiD
I hate chase view and feel that it takes away from the sim completely

BUT

I know some people like to use it on first lap to avoid collisions so it should be allowed!

We also should utilise those things that aren't available in real life to improve the sim...no need to keep the crappy real life elements..
Oh no! Not again. I thought this subject was dead and buried.
To those posting 'not this again' posts, the views have changed and are more restricted now. This was done for realism.

Thus, any previous polls on this subject were based on different views being available in the first place.

If you think this poll is a waist of time, then don't read it or participate, no one is forcing you to.
yeah what ^he said, plus the polls are different, and hes asking wich one you use, not wich one you prefer.

I go for as close to realistic as posible, so in car, behind the wheel.
For several years I used too use custom wheels view all the time, then about 3-4 months ago I started to use cockpit view some of the time. Since PatchX30 i am using cockpit 100% of the time and loving it

The reason I used custom view originally was I felt it made up for some of the factors lacking in a sim, but now LFS is feeling so much better I feel much more comfortable going to cockpit view.
I hope more peole do the same, but that awareness is abit lacking, however easy to get used to.
I want the option for anything other than the cockpit view to be removed from LFS whilst not spectating in all modes, however, I'm not opposed to the current custom view options being applied to the cockpit views so long as they are within realistic constraints and don't give a view that couldn't be seen from a real cockpit (ie. no T-cam views)
you only gave me one choise! I prefer a blend or each. the GTR cockpits can get a bit laggy here so I do like a custom roof view.
i dont know how can you race from outside view? how you see some1 is coming? or you just go blind?
Quote from zeugnimod :Now this is a poll that's completely unbiased.

I use chase view because I have the most fun driving in that view and that's what it's all about.

yep, thats the view my 8 year old daughter uses, I of course use in car

Simon
Quote from e2mustang :i dont know how can you race from outside view? how you see some1 is coming? or you just go blind?

I used to use the left right keys.
90 degree of fov imho is not real, 60/65 is realistic, 90 is like watching into a binocular from the wrong side

However, apart of that, since X10 there is already the possibility of locking cockpit view (any fov value is allowed) server side, so, what's the matter?
There's a server option for that: (F) Forced Cockpit View. Can't we keep this limitation on those servers and see how they go instead of signing off 100's of other players just wanting a good time in the view they like best?

edit: beaten by - SpaceMarineITA
Doesn't bother me that they keep it, but I wouldn't mind and would understand if they removed it.

I for one can't come close to driving like that...I can barely drive down the middle of the road in 3rd person view let alone try and race a proper line.
Quote from JasonJ :There's a server option for that: (F) Forced Cockpit View. Can't we keep this limitation on those servers and see how they go instead of signing off 100's of other players just wanting a good time in the view they like best?

edit: beaten by - SpaceMarineITA

You can say the same thing about the look behind view that has just been removed for everyone. Couldn't that to have been a setting decided on by the host weather or not to allow it, just as forced cockpit view is?

If look behind view is removed for everyone, like it or not, for the sake of realism, shouldn't all the other non realism views be remove as well? Either make it real, and get rid of all of the impossible views, or make than selectable by the host.
Quote from RatzMilk :If look behind view is removed for everyone,

Doh! I suppose I should have done some more research first. Look behind view has only been removed for us TrackIR users. Using buttons to look around, you can still look 180 degrees behind. It was a post in a reply to my question in the Technical Assistance forum that said it was removed for everyone, and I just accepted that as Gospel.

It seems, it was only removed for some (race) cars for everyone.

For street cars, only TrackIR users no longer have the look behind view. People using buttons to look around can still look 180 degrees behind them. And what's with the magic mirror that appears in the race cars instead of being able to look around. How does that factor into the 'realism' thing? I mean, it appears right beside the rear view mirror and shows exactly the same thing.

We TrackIR users are such a small minority in this Sim that nobody will probably care that this option has been removed just for us.

Imagine though, if it was removed for G25 users, but Momo, other wheels and mouse/keyboard users could still do a 180 degree look around. Then it would probably get more attention.

As I said before, it feels is if TrackIR users are having additional handicaps with these additional view restrictions placed on us, that non TrackIR users do not suffer from.

All I ask is to have the same views available to us TrackIR users as are available to everyone else.
Quote from SpaceMarineITA :90 degree of fov imho is not real, 60/65 is realistic, 90 is like watching into a binocular from the wrong side

However, apart of that, since X10 there is already the possibility of locking cockpit view (any fov value is allowed) server side, so, what's the matter?

Actually the average human eye has a FOV of 120 degrees so 90 is not anywhere close to that.

I have mine at 110 so that I can still read the guages, but also can see as much in game in cockpit as I do in my car IRL.

Edit:Its called peripheral vision, so unless you have tunnel vision, then you should be able to see 120 degrees around without turning your eyeballs.
Quote from RatzMilk :

So, I would like to know, would people prefer:

i run like that cuz im faster and i have less fps problems... sooo no!
Quote from petercollins :I hate chase view and feel that it takes away from the sim completely

BUT

I know some people like to use it on first lap to avoid collisions so it should be allowed!

We also should utilise those things that aren't available in real life to improve the sim...no need to keep the crappy real life elements..

I use it all the time, does that make me a bad driver?
I`v raced against a lot of people that tells Chasei veiw = FAIL, and still I easly beated some of them.
The game may be as realistic as it wants, but chase veiw need to stay there. It`s not affecting the realism on any way, it`s up to each invidual driver to chose what kind of camera angel he want to use. We all drive with the same physics, so there is nothing to gain by using chase veiw, in fact there is mostly disadvanting things about using chase veiw. But I use it, and I`ll will use it in the future. If you think it`s unrealistic, don`t use it, and for gods sake stop comming on the forum to troll about it. The most realistic racing games, suck as NR2003 for example, had chase veiw. Because people can by themself judge and chose what kind of camera angel they prefer to use in a race, it`s not like it hurt you other people that I use it.

And now the whining probally starts :
"But you have no mirrors, you are a hazard to track" - I have used chase veiw since S1 demo, and I know how to use it. I usually changes between camera angels to get a better veiw, I use the map to look where the cars are to me, if they are close or not, and finally I use the sound. I have a good sorround speaker system, so I can easely find out where you lads are.
So, now that we have found out this, that chase veiw doesn`t give you any advatages, and that people doesn`t nessesary crash more or are more unaware than others, WHY IN HELL all this bitchslapping about chase veiw?!
It`s my and other people choise do use it, we gain nothing by it, but we enjoy every part of the game EVEN if we`re looking at the car we drive.

Now, if you are going to whine about realism... just don`t please. To some certain degree it`s up to each of us to chose how realistic we want the game to be. Some use auto gears, should that be banned from the game aswell? Or remove shift+P too? Or realistic pit stops regarding damage, would be fun to be in pit for a hour..

Edit - O oh... Tristan online, I`ll bet he will not ignore this post

It`s christmas people, we don`t need these silly old discussion again
#24 - Nobo
Quote from The Very End :And now the whining probally starts :
"But you have no mirrors, you are a hazard to track" - I have used chase veiw since S1 demo, and I know how to use it. I usually changes between camera angels to get a better veiw, I use the map to look where the cars are to me, if they are close or not, and finally I use the sound. I have a good sorround speaker system, so I can easely find out where you lads are.

Weill as TVE said, driving chase view in close combats includes watching on the map, hearing the sounds and where they come from and the watching your car as you can see whats going on next to you.
I have clocked some miles now in my S2 career and i can say, that i probably have a much better suround view and overview in close combats then any cockpit driver and you can drive fast and competetive with this view.
Well, its not realistic though......but i just cant race fast, fair and clean in cockpit...
...already couldnt join a league i'd like to join because they use FCV. Well i got over it without whining...
Quote from Nobo :I have clocked some miles now in my S2 career and i can say, that i probably have a much better suround view and overview in close combats then any cockpit driver and you can drive fast and competetive with this view.

The "hardcore sim racers" will probably just turn this around and state that this is an undeserved advantage for chase view drivers. Because yesterday, they said chase view drivers are a hazard because they can't see what's coming up behind them. Not contradicting in the slightest.

Cockpit View Only
(295 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG