The online racing simulator
Cockpit View Only
(295 posts, started )

Poll : Realism or Arcade

Realism: Cockpit view, behind the steering wheel, just like in real life.
Arcade: Wonder Woman invisible cars, God's eye view, Linda Blair look completly around, etc.
Quote from zeugnimod :I don't think it's more real and I don't use it because of monitor limitations.

I simply use it because I prefer this view and I have more FUN driving in this view. If you can understand it or not. I don't have to "explain" myself.

But some did find the way to explain how more real that is, i respect your decision and i'm glad you're having fun that way while you do realise it's not realistic..

@ Polyracer

But what are we discussing then? I only see it being a problem if it brings advantage like it sure did bring advantage in the "LX month" competition, but why oh why would you care how other people play? How that affects you?
My first racer was Geoff Crammond GP2. My instincts told me that the cockpit view was the correct way to go but for the life of me I couldn't get round the track. I had to resort to the 'top of the drivers head' view just so I could see what's coming! Only then could I drive laps with any confidence. I tried the chase cam and immediately that didn't feel right. Mind you, F1 isn't the best game to cut your teeth on.
Quote from Boris Lozac :@ Polyracer
But what are we discussing then? I only see it being a problem if it brings advantage like it sure did bring advantage in the "LX month" competition, but why oh why would you care how other people play? How that affects you?

We were/are discussing, what - if any, advantages there are when using chase view over cockpit view.

If we ignor the crap from some of the chase view guys who seem to think we want to ban the view altogether and chain them into the drivers seat and feed em on nowt but dry bread and stale water - until they learn the error of their ways........., then it does seem that in particularly in pack racing their is some advantages.

But even ignoring that, one or two have also made what to me are valued comments on the way that the view you have will also effect the way you race - in terms of what you see and how and when you react to it.

Hotlapping is something different altogether IMO, - because there is only you on track and chase view has no discernable effect on your performance or times.

I think chase view has its uses when initially learning a track (maybe), but ultimatly I think that cockpit view is the fastest view because you are more in touch with the car and track.
Quote from Polyracer :We were/are discussing, what - if any, advantages there are when using chase view over cockpit view.

If we ignor the crap from some of the chase view guys who seem to think we want to ban the view altogether and chain them into the drivers seat and feed em on nowt but dry bread and stale water - until they learn the error of their ways........., then it does seem that in particularly in pack racing their is some advantages.

But even ignoring that, one or two have also made what to me are valued comments on the way that the view you have will also effect the way you race - in terms of what you see and how and when you react to it.

Hotlapping is something different altogether IMO, - because there is only you on track and chase view has no discernable effect on your performance or times.

I think chase view has its uses when initially learning a track (maybe), but ultimatly I think that cockpit view is the fastest view because you are more in touch with the car and track.

Do you have problems with chase viewers or bonnet/capot and wheels only view also mess with your mind ?

Cockpit view is the fastest...!!!
Quote from Doorman :My first racer was Geoff Crammond GP2. My instincts told me that the cockpit view was the correct way to go but for the life of me I couldn't get round the track. I had to resort to the 'top of the drivers head' view just so I could see what's coming! Only then could I drive laps with any confidence. I tried the chase cam and immediately that didn't feel right. Mind you, F1 isn't the best game to cut your teeth on.

That's exactly my case...

I mainly race SS's and that's the reason why I use a custom view (near cockipt view) a little above the "eye" position, almost above the driver's helmet.
That's because of endless hours racing the Geoff Crammond's G.P., and after that Grand Prix 3...

I tried to use the default cockipt view, but the difference in perception -small, is truth- makes a huge difference in my (not brilliant) performance.

I just want to be able to use my dear old view, that I'm comfortable with, in servers and leagues...
What do you guys call cockpit view? Custom view, or really forced cockpit view? I have custom cockpit view, would that be allowed or not? Limit the settings to be only inside the car, or what? Didn't bother to read through all this.

But I voted realism.
Quote from sgt.flippy :What do you guys call cockpit view? Custom view, or really forced cockpit view? I have custom cockpit view, would that be allowed or not? Limit the settings to be only inside the car, or what? Didn't bother to read through all this.

But I voted realism.

Cockpit view is what you get when you choose cockpit view, there is little adjustments possible, but not too much, custom view even it would be in same place as cockpit view is not cockpit view defined by force cockpit view option.

BTW, perhaps those adjustments need to be checked, if one has racing frame build with dials and all it is not perhaps now possible to get realistic view?
Quote from fujiwara :Do you have problems with chase viewers or bonnet/capot and wheels only view also mess with your mind ?

Cockpit view is the fastest...!!!

I don't have a problem with any view, repeatedly I have said so, -
go read my posts, tell me where I have said anything other than "each to his own", or similar.

It seems to me, that rather than any particular view "messing" with my mind, I would say that its you that has the mental prob when you keep getting all defensive all the time.

Of course there are two sides to a debate, it is a basic requirement - of a debate.
For a debate to continue, there has to be reasoned rationable points put forward.

Your above comment is insulting demeaning and childish, perhaps you are a child.

In any case I'm out of here
Quote from zeugnimod :
I simply use it because I prefer this view and I have more FUN driving in this view. If you can understand it or not. I don't have to "explain" myself.

I'm not trying to be difficult now, don't get me wrong...
Have you ever tried to learn the cockpit view? As I told earlier in this thread I changed to it quite recently and I have used custom view for years. I'm sure cockpit view makes it easier to sense what the car is doing. I know you're a friend of good racing and I really would love to hear your thoughts about cockpit view after a few nights of training. I'm just being curious here
soo why do you want to remove other view ??? lets other racer use the view they want AND you, use the cockpit view ... now some server use "force cockpit view" go in it! but dont try to broke the fun of other just for you ... simulation dont mean 100% real
Quote from Profi :I'm not trying to be difficult now, don't get me wrong...
Have you ever tried to learn the cockpit view? As I told earlier in this thread I changed to it quite recently and I have used custom view for years. I'm sure cockpit view makes it easier to sense what the car is doing. I know you're a friend of good racing and I really would love to hear your thoughts about cockpit view after a few nights of training. I'm just being curious here

Actually no, not really.

Mauni once tried to persuade me to try it. I drove 10 or 15 laps (I think it was LX4/AS Club) and ended up on the grass in almost every lap and gave up.

Maybe I should try 20 laps next time.
-
(speedway) DELETED by speedway
Quote from lfs-drift staff :simulation dont mean 100% real

Actually simulation tries very hard to reproduce reality up to detail where you could use simulation to evaluate what will happen in reality in same conditions, so it should be pretty close 100% real (yes 100% not possible as it would be another reality, which might be impossible), otherwise it is not very good as simulation.
90 degrees is a bit restrictive
do we not look over our shoulders when changing lanes?
i think ull find u can see further than 90 degrees to the side
Quote from speedway :just out of pure interest, you do have a real driving license, right?

No.

Seriously, I don't.
forget my post helmet would restrict vision greatly !!
Quote from SmokeyAU :forget my post helmet would restrict vision greatly !!

Along with racing harnesses.
Quote from SmokeyAU :90 degrees is a bit restrictive
do we not look over our shoulders when changing lanes?
i think ull find u can see further than 90 degrees to the side

Without helmet this is very easy, also your eyes move so your head don't need to turn even 90 degrees so that you can see more than 90 degrees, but problem comes when you put helmet on, suddenly you can't look so much back as helmet limits your view quite a bit, also with racing cars seatbelts + helmet limit how much you can turn your head, not issue with street cars.

What is then real, bit hard to say, I'm pretty sure when I have been on track that I haven't looked more than 45 degrees left/right, but I would think it would be possible to see 90 degrees right and something like 50 left.

Best would be if we all would have nice 360 degree display system with motion simulator and car chassis (copy of LFS car we do race) inside of that with all safety equipment as seen in LFS, then we would get real world limitation to what we see, instead of need to artificially limit view to get immersion of real

edit:
Well, you got answer still, I'm not going to delete as it took long time to type and correct spelling errors
Well, I believe one of the important matters with forced cockpit" is that we have to decide a defination about where the view should be i cockpit view.

Should the view be where the eyes are in the real world?
I don't believe so because when you are driving in the real world you are so focused on whats going on outside that you normally doesn't even see the steeringwheel unless you focus on it.

You should be able to join a "forced cockpit view" server as long as you have your view inside the car and on the drivers side. Then its up to each individual to decide where he/she whats the view. If they want it right above the steeringwheel, or at the current cockpit view setting.
Thats my opinion.
^^ I think any view within the on the drivers side, not central in the car that has the realistic view constrains, ie. not too far forward/high to see over the high sides in the single seaters and not too far forward to remove the rollcage/pillar in closed cars is fine.
It is quite tough subject to decide really.

For example, if someone would have 3x 100" screens that cover good part of human FOV, he should of course be able to get pretty close 100% real view and it should be allowed to force cockpit view, but is it currently?

Now what about another fella with single 17" screen? If he is going to go with realistic view, he should leave out lot of stuff from screen and adjust again view position etc, now is this view inside current force cockpit view?

Cockpit View Only
(295 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG