The online racing simulator
Quote from Scawen :Hmm, I feel writing this was a waste of time, anyway I'll post it just for the record.

Writing this is mostly a waste of time too, but what the hell. Top patch, much appreciated, Merry Xmas. Oh, and is there going to be a little Y update to the S2U paths download for replay analysers? (just noticed it has been updated, sweet )
Quote from Drunken Predator :One thing that ive noticed with the patch is that the frames have significantly dropped, i even had some serious issues in South city playing on pubs last night.. It used to be stable 70-100 but now its dropping at times to 20-30! Any idea what could cause this?

I think this is the cause (source http://www.lfs.net/?page=patch_y) :

"South City :

Many graphical updates and new configuration added"

I'm guessing the game is just graphically evolving
Quote from PLAYLIFE :I think this is the cause (source http://www.lfs.net/?page=patch_y) :

"South City :

Many graphical updates and new configuration added"

I'm guessing the game is just graphically evolving

I dont think its my GFX card failing, must be CPU rather. I ran it before 2xAA 16xAF with high frames but now even without AA it does that.. so i guess the new physics calculations just cause it..
I havent really raced with big grid on any other track after patch though.. well.. i guess i have to click GFX from "quality" to "best performance" and see what that does.
I was just getting several people to buy this game, and many have/will get it but i must say the new patch has put them off in many ways. (casual simracers more than ones with pro attitude)
Im happy, as long as im having fun.. if im not having fun.. ill just ditch LFS and have still large amount of great sims to enjoy.
Quote from Drunken Predator :One thing that ive noticed with the patch is that the frames have significantly dropped, i even had some serious issues in South city playing on pubs last night.. It used to be stable 70-100 but now its dropping at times to 20-30! Any idea what could cause this?

Could be the high resolution textures. Try running at half texture resolution and see if it helps.
Thanks for an Awesome patch!!!
Quote from Scawen :Could be the high resolution textures. Try running at half texture resolution and see if it helps.

Thanks, ill try that.
Quote from Scawen :There were serious issues with some of the AI paths there (the raw paths from which they generate their own lines). Such as walls being marked as driveable areas.

So Fern Bay had to be edited and resaved, While I was at it, I added pit lane cameras and fixed some reported bugs such as floating walls, improved the visibility of pit stop markings, also removed the large advert banners over the bridge which wre never meant to be there but were used to avoid drawing too much scenery. Eric also repaired the missing start lights and FE Green and fixed some yellow pit lane exit line Z buffer issues. Finally the tyres were added at FE Rallycross Green.

So this was actually several hours work. The fact that there is just a small note on the note sheet, does not mean that was the only thing that was done. Did you actually drive around at Fern Bay before making that comment? I would have thought the removed signs on the bridge were quite noticeable.

But this was not an "Eric update" where a couple of months go into improving things, this was some quick fixes by me. So now do you really think I was wrong so say the "updated tracks" got new jpg textures? Look in the patch folder, you'll see BL, SO and FE - the updated tracks.

Hmm, I feel writing this was a waste of time, anyway I'll post it just for the record.

I can't beleive Scawen is having to defend himself so much over patch Y, he's making the sim better for everyone, but just getting moaned at about it. Not just the post to which this was a retort, theres a few dotted around that i've seen.
If Scawen says he's updated something and listed it in the change log, who are we question.

/rant

Sorry if this seems out of the blue, but it just annoys me reading things like this.....
Quote from Scawen :There were serious issues with some of the AI paths there (the raw paths from which they generate their own lines). Such as walls being marked as driveable areas.

So Fern Bay had to be edited and resaved, While I was at it, I added pit lane cameras and fixed some reported bugs such as floating walls, improved the visibility of pit stop markings, also removed the large advert banners over the bridge which wre never meant to be there but were used to avoid drawing too much scenery. Eric also repaired the missing start lights and FE Green and fixed some yellow pit lane exit line Z buffer issues. Finally the tyres were added at FE Rallycross Green.

So this was actually several hours work. The fact that there is just a small note on the note sheet, does not mean that was the only thing that was done. Did you actually drive around at Fern Bay before making that comment? I would have thought the removed signs on the bridge were quite noticeable.

But this was not an "Eric update" where a couple of months go into improving things, this was some quick fixes by me. So now do you really think I was wrong so say the "updated tracks" got new jpg textures? Look in the patch folder, you'll see BL, SO and FE - the updated tracks.

Hmm, I feel writing this was a waste of time, anyway I'll post it just for the record.

See, I didn't notice that, although I HAVE driven FE with the new patch(es), therfore asked... I see no harm in that?
Quote from Scawen :Hmm, I feel writing this was a waste of time, anyway I'll post it just for the record.

That's a sure sign it's time someone scooted over to play with his son and let the forum be for now - I doubt there'll be any major game-busting bugs announced any time soon and currently there's way too much thoughtless negativeness floating around to do anyone reading it much good. Just my humble opinion of course...

Merry Christmas!
Hmmm tried now.. several different options.

Compressed textures, no compressed textures, low rez and high rez.. no AA and 2xAA, Level of detail to see polycount effect in various settings, Mirrors on off, mirror detail higher/lower.. guess what.. perfectly same FPS with every setting.. so i was right.. its rather my AMD Athlon 64 3200+ failing than Geforce 7600gt.
Any way to reduce stress on processor in the game? And dont tell me about windows tweaks, im well enlightened with those.

EDIT:Fixed typos... damn Africans.. making too good Shiraz takes the sharpness out the man!
Quote from Drunken Predator :Hmmm tried now.. several different options.

Compressed textures, no compressed textures, low rez and high rez.. no AA and 2xAA, Level of detail to see polycount effect in various settings, Mirrors on off, mirror detail higher/lower.. guess what.. perfectly same FPS with every setting.. so i was right.. its rather my AMD Athlon 64 3200+ failing than Geforce 7600gt.
Any way to reduce stress on processor in the game? And dont tell me about windows tweaks, im well enlightened with those.

EDIT:Fixed typos... damn Africans.. making too good Shiraz takes the sharpness out the man!

It is your AMD 64 3200+ that is letting you down, I had exactly same CPU and it just was not enough fast anymore.
Now running with Intel Core 2 Duo e6750 and 8600GT, it is all fine, 40fps is slowest at south city, back of grid with 20 AI cars front of me, but under normal racing no problems, with bit more powerful gfx card I might get better fps as cpu is not hitting 100% at all now in LFS.

Before I had X850XT gfx card which is around same speed as this 8600GT but I got only 14fps at such situation in south city.
Quote from JTbo :It is your AMD 64 3200+ that is letting you down, I had exactly same CPU and it just was not enough fast anymore.
Now running with Intel Core 2 Duo e6750 and 8600GT, it is all fine, 40fps is slowest at south city, back of grid with 20 AI cars front of me, but under normal racing no problems, with bit more powerful gfx card I might get better fps as cpu is not hitting 100% at all now in LFS.

Before I had X850XT gfx card which is around same speed as this 8600GT but I got only 14fps at such situation in south city.

Ok thanks for that.. ive have lately found myself proving on several occasions that my pc just aint good enough for gaming anymore.. now.. any way to sell a perfectly decent wife for some pc cash?
Quote from Drunken Predator :Ok thanks for that.. ive have lately found myself proving on several occasions that my pc just aint good enough for gaming anymore.. now.. any way to sell a perfectly decent wife for some pc cash?

If she does not nag and is willing to clean and cook, I'm interested, maybe 15€?

For me it was really surprising that my old system just was not enough, time seem to really be running over me
Replay OOS error
Question
Maybee not so clever, BUT
How do I get ride of the AI cars in offline play.
X-patch I went to HOTLAP and back and they were gone and I could ad new ones, now they stick aroud and I can't change them.
For the rest awesome patch. No thing can stand in the shadow of LFS
ok theres always one whinger and this time its goin to be me, i dont like the way the cars rev anymore, and i dont like the clutch burnout thing it kinda burns out all at once which is crap and unrealistic (this happens alot when playing with mouse as you dont use the clutch when changing gears) and also the fact i lost all my stuff like setups and skins which was very annoying......

personally think x was a better patch, but i will wait till i get my g25 with h shifter and clutch pedal to confirm this comment lol
I had to re-unlock the game and lost my setups, but just assumed that this was part of the ongoing evolution. Your skins are still there, but you just need to pick them up again with the 'new colours' button.

I'm having trouble getting used to the revised rev limiter, but the whole thing does feel more solid now. Overall I'm happy, and just have to work on getting my setups back to where they were
Wish I had a £ for everyone who says they lost their setups...........

No, you didn't lose them, the devs in their ultimate wisdom didn't see fit to rename them automatically with the patch.

You need to get the LFS setup renamer from the addons forum.
Im Just LOVING this patch, Thank YOU!
Hmm - i could get over the clutch heat and also the rev limiter but as far as tyres go the game is wrecked for drifters. They wear way to fast now. The only reason i bought s2 was to drift and now that has just been made allot more unenjoyable. I think grip racers will be happy drifters not, Nevertheless we will see what happens in the future.
Quote from ls1ben :Hmm - i could get over the clutch heat and also the rev limiter but as far as tyres go the game is wrecked for drifters. They wear way to fast now. The only reason i bought s2 was to drift and now that has just been made allot more unenjoyable. I think grip racers will be happy drifters not, Nevertheless we will see what happens in the future.

IIRC, only slick tyres were change, so why would it affect drifters?
Quote from danowat :Wish I had a £ for everyone who says they lost their setups...........

Sorry, I should have made that clearer - I've run the fix tool already and am in the process of making adjustments to account for the different feel to the handling of many of the cars.

What I intended to say was that on first running the game I was given the impression that I'd lost them for reasons that are now well documented
Quote from niall09 :IIRC, only slick tyres were change, so why would it affect drifters?

Something has to of changed xrt with norms on same setup lasts 1/2 to 1 lap before there red as.. and 2nd maybe 3rd bang. this was not the case before hand.
Quote from Aky Snel :Maybee not so clever, BUT
How do I get ride of the AI cars in offline play.
X-patch I went to HOTLAP and back and they were gone and I could ad new ones, now they stick aroud and I can't change them.
For the rest awesome patch. No thing can stand in the shadow of LFS

Two ways to remove AI drivers.

1) One at a time : click the minus sign to the left of their name in the grid list

2) All at once : type /clear

Quote from danowat :No, you didn't lose them, the devs in their ultimate wisdom didn't see fit to rename them automatically with the patch.

I explained already in a post the reason for this, it didn't seem right to spend time working on a mover / renamer that would produce invalid setups due to the physics changes. It seemed to me more sensible for anyone to take their favourite setups and make the necessary adjustments to final drive ratio and camber. And I also knew that someone else would code up the necessary program and could do so as easily as I could. So no real need for your sarcastic contribution.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG