The online racing simulator
Drift/Track oriented car
(343 posts, closed, started )

Poll : Should LFS get a drift car?

No
Yes
Quote from Woz :

The fact that the car is AIMED at drifters DOES NOT MEAN it will be of no use to racers. It will.

There you go, what you said reversed means you are saying all of the existing cars are aimed at Racing and are no use for Drifters, but what you SHOULD say about the existing cars is that the fact the cars are AIMED at Racers does not mean it will be of no use to Drifters. They are.
Just thought i would point out that theres no car named the S16 the series stopped after the S15, also the huge rear spoilers are aero kit so they dont produce downforce and if they do its very little.

As for a drift car for all we know there might be one in the works i stress the might its really doubtful there but it might happen eventually.

Though LFS is fine the way it is you have the XRT FZ5 so you have choice. IMO if you want a drift car go build one yourself from your own car, or go to NFS or some other thing like that, thats what i think.
#253 - Woz
Quote from BlueFlame :There you go, what you said reversed means you are saying all of the existing cars are aimed at Racing and are no use for Drifters, but what you SHOULD say about the existing cars is that the fact the cars are AIMED at Racers does not mean it will be of no use to Drifters. They are.

How funny. You have let me re-quote myself for the 3rd time.

Quote from Woz :Yes we ALL know you can drift the current cars before you start that broken record that keep coming up from different people.

Nice way to reword it though. Slight change in your attack vector though.

Anyway made me chuckle

i drift in LFS and only drift, i dont race. Honestly cant stand it..
but we dont need a drift car, i use the XRG/XRT, FZ5, LX4, LX6, and
the FXO GTR... so theres plenty of cars we can use and ive seen
people get heaps of angle without losing it.. its all in the setup and
the driver.

although, would be cool to have another RWD Car
Quote from BlueFlame :Well, in enginerical terms, it mis-fires like a BITCH.

530hp from under 3 litre engine, perhaps not possible if misfiring?

Similar sound in this one too
Woz: You have summed everything very well in one of your above posts. I'm afraid you will have to post it at least once in every page so people get the point(Especially those that come and give their 5 cents without understanding the subject).

And the other thing...

Quote from BlueFlame :But the point is, if you can drift the current cars, why do you need a NEW car to do something you can already do?

You can't DRIFT better In one car than in another to the same extent you can't RACE a car better than you can RACE another.

XCNuse already replied but maybe you didn't get his point well enough since later you said again:

Quote from BlueFlame :Why would one need a special DRIFT car, specifically made for DRIFTING, when you can already DRIFT with the other DRIFTING cars YOU DRIFTING DRIFT DRIFTITY DRIFT person.

In other words. Ask yourself, why would you need a car other than UF1 if you can simply just race UF1?

Some of you should imagine what a real drifter(with a proffesional car) will think when he sees people drifting in lfs.. Drifting porshes, drifting caterhams - the only normal car is actually XR GTT, but it weights a lot and doesn't have power at the same time. That power would be more than enough if it weighted like stripped out Ae86, but it doesn't.

And if someone replies again "You can already drift this and that so blabla" then I'm gonna seriously bite that person. :bitehard:

And about a Drag Racing car that was mentioned lately. Isn't drag racing about mechanics and building the fastest machine. More like "tuners game"? Also the variety of cars counts a lot in it. Therfore what I'm saying is. Ask yourself how much time you would spend racing on a straightway in dragracing car, and how much time you would spend on driving a powerfull, well-balanced, light RWD car that can be both set for racing and drifting.
Well, it seems like my side of the argument repeats itself because the DRIFT side of the argument don't seem to realise the only thing a new 'specifical drift car' can bring is just plainly 70%cosmetics. You are repeating yourself aparently Woz, well actually read what you are writing in edition to mine, it's pretty pathetic how I am saying the same thing just like everyone else is, simply because it's YOU that doesn't understand, The poll stands for it's self, and as a result, My argument is 'winning' that fact YOU said the percentage of the people that voted YES, are the only ones who read the poll is ignorant in my opinion.

I read the poll and said NO anyway, just like many others did. I just don't understand the need for a WHOLE new car just for some extra steering lock and some shiny wheels. Say with a Top Fuel car, you are getting something at the Pinnicle of technology, the fact that Top Fuel cars are simply defying physics of the WORLD, if this was in a game, it would be just ****ing AWESOME, and who DOESN'T like the sound of a V8? You're argument is stupid, a Drift-spec car is one of 70% the same as that of a D1 car, so you are just asking for a D1 car and you can't even see it yourself. Drifting is for fun, it could never become as serious as racing and it's the same even in SIMRACING so this lack of empathy can't really simulate the need for a new car just that.. And people keep saying 'well balanced' well, this REALLY baffles me. The D1GP cars for example; I have only seen FR cars racing in D1. As for LFS we have an FR car, aswell as an MR car and a RR car. So tell me what is balanced to you? We have all the different chassis setups for driftable cars(FR,MR,RR) and you say non of these have the right balance? What the hell do you want, a car with it's engine on a trailer!?

"In other words. Ask yourself, why would you need a car other than UF1 if you can simply just race UF1?" All of LFS car's are different to each other on more levels than steering lock and how they look. Tire size, Realistic Insurance classes, Race-spec and sports cars wheel size, turning circle, power to weigh ratio, bhp per ton, torque, bhp. Chassis type. All these things are what makes the LFS cars different, aswell as what system of suspension they use. If you have this 'drift' car you are just repeating many of the many many things LFS already simulates.
Quote from BlueFlame :Say with a Top Fuel car, you are getting something at the Pinnicle of technology, the fact that Top Fuel cars are simply defying physics of the WORLD, if this was in a game, it would be just ****ing AWESOME, and who DOESN'T like the sound of a V8?

And with a proper car drivers with their skill can defy the physics of the WORLD by drifting.

And drifting as a motorsport is more serious than you think.
I hate to be honest BlueFlame, but that poll is absolutely useless, it was done by the time I came into the thread, also even if there is no talk in this entire thread, just those numbers, it really isn't saying much because they are so close.

As for the talk again of 'getting a new car,' why not?
Why should LFS be limited to what it has?
LFS is a beast, you can't hold it back.
Quote from BlueFlame :Well, it seems like my side of the argument repeats itself because the DRIFT side of the argument don't seem to realise the only thing a new 'specifical drift car' can bring is just plainly 70%cosmetics. You are repeating yourself aparently...

Iwas afraid that posting here would get me banned, but screw it.

Blue Flame, name one car that did not introduce more "cosmetics to LFS" when it was introduced. What is cosmetic about a street car (LFS has these.) that has a track specific stats in the info menu
instead of the daily driver cars that we have now. I can't come up with an idea for a car, but a daily driver, which has been "race prepped" (roll cage and all the standerd entry class begginners modifications that would increase the efficiency of the said track car). something LFS doesn't have a track car that can still be used as a daily driver(in reply to this I would expect nothing less than someone saying that the stock cars in lfs are track cars, because they can be setup more than an ordinary car.) bull. in the end they weigh a ton (literally) and would never be considered as a track car, with or without the ability to set them up. I lost that urge to continue writing this argument...on a side note. I tweaked the XRT to have +800cc and 2 more cylinders (personal preference) and an overall weight of 970Kg it was brilliant, but it lacked proper tyres.(R4's anyone?:tilt..

FIN
no need special drift on lfs u just need a RWD or AWD car whit locked diff transmition and a ssspention u can customize ur self to drift and lfs got that ...
Sure Farley, might as well ask Scawen to limit steering lock to like 25-30 in street cars and give us stock FSO Polonez( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVnl-vmGrqg ) to drift. It's rwd and can have locked diff easily after all.

I bet 50$ you didn't even take your time to read the thread.
Quote from fasukilla :no need special drift on lfs u just need a RWD or AWD car whit locked diff transmition and a ssspention u can customize ur self to drift and lfs got that ...

It's the people that take the title to seriously and come into a thread like this and just make an assumption and do this is what is bothersome.

I'm tempted to get rid of the entire title and just say "another car for LFS"

Who CARES if it has the title drift car, and for the matter being, let's just totally get off the topic of a drift capable car, let's talk about how LFS needs to spread and get cars in different areas period.

I'll begin: just because you can go offroading in an RB4, does that make it a rally or an offroad car? NO!
But a Rally car has more power, You see Race cars for the road, Rally cars for the road, there is no such thing, as a DRIFT car, for the road. D1GP > All drifting. That is why Drifing is crap, I can drift, anyone can drift, but Racing takes more skill. I am probobly a better drifter than i am a racer but what would I know, in this Thread, you all don't really care what anyone says against you, you just seem to only think they see the word DRIFT and shut down, or haven't read the posts properly. It's kubæsj and you all know it. You don't have an arguement so you refuse to thing someone comprehended everything everyone said and then STILL disagreed. This thread is going no-where. I'm out.
I think some people here take drifting far more serious than you do, just something I wanted to point out by this comment here:
Quote :I can drift, anyone can drift

I don't want to smash on you in any way, I just want to point out that everyone has their preferences.

I mean, sure if you take the XRT out you can get it to slide, toss it around a bit, have some fun, drift it around, but it's hard to have competitions when you don't have a car made specifically for that competition, if you see where I'm going?

If not, then follow along: LFS is right now comprised specifically of road cars, and a few race cars, which are put head to head on tracks and raced.
LFS has no cars which are specifically made for drift competitions, drag races, rallies, etc.

That's the purpose that I'm trying to point out.
If you notice I'm trying to bring up other topics like drag and rally, I want to point out the general idea of what LFS is missing, not that it's missing one thing in particular, but just the many aspects there are of vehicle competitions out there.

Hope you understand
Quote from XCNuse :
I mean, sure if you take the XRT out you can get it to slide, toss it around a bit, have some fun, drift it around, but it's hard to have competitions when you don't have a car made specifically for that competition, if you see where I'm going?

If not, then follow along: LFS is right now comprised specifically of road cars, and a few race cars, which are put head to head on tracks and raced.
LFS has no cars which are specifically made for drift competitions, drag races, rallies, etc.

That's the purpose that I'm trying to point out.
If you notice I'm trying to bring up other topics like drag and rally, I want to point out the general idea of what LFS is missing, not that it's missing one thing in particular, but just the many aspects there are of vehicle competitions out there.

Hope you understand

Well, I +1 that, but that isn't what this poll is about.
true true, I will agree that I've been swerving this thread off the initial post
Quote from XCNuse :true true, I will agree that I've been swerving this thread off the initial post

WE, WE XCNuse WE
#269 - Woz
Quote from XCNuse :true true, I will agree that I've been swerving this thread off the initial post

Actually not really. In reality I should have thought LONG AND HARD about how I worded the initial post. I made the original post when I was a bit upity and we had been flooded in drift related requests for a while. I was also hard in my original tone.

I, like yourself, have realised that what most like to think of as small sub communities within LFS are actually far far larger than most realise. It might be they realise but just don't want to admit it.

Take curse servers, most of us racers just don't understand them but they are VERY VERY popular, as the server list shows. Another sub community many would prefer to try and wash away.

The drift community does not help itself though with bullsh*t like calling a drift battle a race or the belief with the younger crowd that the fastest way around a corner is arse out wheels on fire.

I still think back to when I started to snowboard. When snowboards were BANNED on most mountains and all you got from skiers was hatred and abuse, how that has changed and now snowboard tech has moved into skis to give the carving ski and twin tip. Neither of which existed before snowboards.

It is much like the race/drift friction we have now, just a different setting. Same old fight, race vs drift, ski vs snowboard, skateboard vs rollerblade, red hat vs blue hat

In the same way, much of the early snowboarders didn't help the situation because they were too young and had attitude that just caused more friction. Now the average age of snowboarder has increase the friction is all but gone and everyone is happy.

Many of the people that rail against the drift car idea I feel do it because they hear the word drift and just react. Much the same as the skiers did when they heard the word snowboard.

As much as they might not like drifting, it WILL become more and more popular. It will become more mainstream and there is NOTHING they can do to change that. They just have to learn to share toys in the same way that skiers had to learn to share their mountain. In the end everyone gained in that fight.

Drifting is NOT a fad that will die out in a year or two as much as many here would like it to. Everywhere I look on the roads I see cars setup to drift and the numbers keep growing.

It appears that many racers do not understand or do not want to understand how the needs off drifters differ from racing. The old "You can drift any car" phrase that comees up again and again just shows this off to great effect. So lets try this angle.

You can race any car and push it to its limits around a track in the same way you can drift any RWD car (FWD is just arse dragging ). But make setup changes to the car, tune it for that track and you can push harder and faster than you could before. You have improved the car for the specific task. It is now a better car to race with.

Before the changes you were still able to race the car, only now it is better at that task. But like any sport, you only understand how those last few % of improvments, the hardest ones to make, can help when you are good enough to make use of the tweak.

It's like the difference between a cheap mountain bike and a real one. One I would risk my neck on at 40mph offroad the other I would not. But until you really really push the limits you can't see the difference. If you just ride around town they feel similar.

This is NO different than making a car better for drift. Those last few thing only effect the people at the top, those really pushing for that last few % of performance in their chosen field. Not the rest.

Its just that LFS does not allow those setup options for the current cars and should not as thay are race biased and have beeen through patch after patch to balance them for this task, the current LFS main focus.

I am NOT saying you can't drift without these settings I am saying you can drift BETTER with them. In the same way that if you make changes to a car to make it better to race with.

I can hear people saying "OK, but how does this help racing and LFS?"

That is a very simple one. Sim racing in general is small scale and LFS is a subset of that. Online games like CS can pull in 100,000 players at any given time near 24/7, LFS might pull in 1000 and drop to 20 at the low points in the day.

The bigger the community the more profile LFS gains, the more possibilities that open. If LFS allows for all forms of motor sport it will improve the profile of LFS. If the number rise enough it could open a track deal that might otherwise not happen etc. It might let someone experience LFS that opens a door for a new car. We just don't know.

I would like to see LFS expend and open to all motorsport. To improve drag racing, include the odities likee truck racing etc. Yes I race but I understand that the world includes more than my view of it, my reality of it. etc.

(Can't wait to see how people quote small chucks of this to twist my words. When that happens I will make sure they look as stupid as possible because I believe that is no way NOT to understand this )
LOL @ Red vs Blue.

Well put Woz. now im speechless .
A compelling read Woz, but I have a confession I do watch world cup snowboarding from time to time, but i HATE it, compared to Skiing, (which I love )
For the people that do not know, drift cars have spoilers and wide high grip tyres so they can drift at HIGHER SPEED than a car without. If you want to be competitive at the high level you need the most grip you can still drift with, this is why they sometimes have a lot of power to keep the wheels spinning.
Quote from Woz :Actually not really. In reality I should have thought LONG AND HARD about how I worded the initial post. I made the original post when I was a bit upity and we had been flooded in drift related requests for a while. I was also hard in my original tone.

I, like yourself, have realised that what most like to think of as small sub communities within LFS are actually far far larger than most realise. It might be they realise but just don't want to admit it.

Take curse servers, most of us racers just don't understand them but they are VERY VERY popular, as the server list shows. Another sub community many would prefer to try and wash away.

The drift community does not help itself though with bullsh*t like calling a drift battle a race or the belief with the younger crowd that the fastest way around a corner is arse out wheels on fire.

I still think back to when I started to snowboard. When snowboards were BANNED on most mountains and all you got from skiers was hatred and abuse, how that has changed and now snowboard tech has moved into skis to give the carving ski and twin tip. Neither of which existed before snowboards.

It is much like the race/drift friction we have now, just a different setting. Same old fight, race vs drift, ski vs snowboard, skateboard vs rollerblade, red hat vs blue hat

In the same way, much of the early snowboarders didn't help the situation because they were too young and had attitude that just caused more friction. Now the average age of snowboarder has increase the friction is all but gone and everyone is happy.

Many of the people that rail against the drift car idea I feel do it because they hear the word drift and just react. Much the same as the skiers did when they heard the word snowboard.

As much as they might not like drifting, it WILL become more and more popular. It will become more mainstream and there is NOTHING they can do to change that. They just have to learn to share toys in the same way that skiers had to learn to share their mountain. In the end everyone gained in that fight.

Drifting is NOT a fad that will die out in a year or two as much as many here would like it to. Everywhere I look on the roads I see cars setup to drift and the numbers keep growing.

It appears that many racers do not understand or do not want to understand how the needs off drifters differ from racing. The old "You can drift any car" phrase that comees up again and again just shows this off to great effect. So lets try this angle.

You can race any car and push it to its limits around a track in the same way you can drift any RWD car (FWD is just arse dragging ). But make setup changes to the car, tune it for that track and you can push harder and faster than you could before. You have improved the car for the specific task. It is now a better car to race with.

Before the changes you were still able to race the car, only now it is better at that task. But like any sport, you only understand how those last few % of improvments, the hardest ones to make, can help when you are good enough to make use of the tweak.

It's like the difference between a cheap mountain bike and a real one. One I would risk my neck on at 40mph offroad the other I would not. But until you really really push the limits you can't see the difference. If you just ride around town they feel similar.

This is NO different than making a car better for drift. Those last few thing only effect the people at the top, those really pushing for that last few % of performance in their chosen field. Not the rest.

Its just that LFS does not allow those setup options for the current cars and should not as thay are race biased and have beeen through patch after patch to balance them for this task, the current LFS main focus.

I am NOT saying you can't drift without these settings I am saying you can drift BETTER with them. In the same way that if you make changes to a car to make it better to race with.

I can hear people saying "OK, but how does this help racing and LFS?"

That is a very simple one. Sim racing in general is small scale and LFS is a subset of that. Online games like CS can pull in 100,000 players at any given time near 24/7, LFS might pull in 1000 and drop to 20 at the low points in the day.

The bigger the community the more profile LFS gains, the more possibilities that open. If LFS allows for all forms of motor sport it will improve the profile of LFS. If the number rise enough it could open a track deal that might otherwise not happen etc. It might let someone experience LFS that opens a door for a new car. We just don't know.

I would like to see LFS expend and open to all motorsport. To improve drag racing, include the odities likee truck racing etc. Yes I race but I understand that the world includes more than my view of it, my reality of it. etc.

(Can't wait to see how people quote small chucks of this to twist my words. When that happens I will make sure they look as stupid as possible because I believe that is no way NOT to understand this )

Great talking here! couldn't do it better!
To be honest im quite happy with the current cars drifting, maybe im more powersliding than drifting, who knows?

I think its all in the setup, I use Rallyx (Knobbly) tires at the rear and road/race tires at the front, i find this gets the beack end out rather well, however it does make it easier to loose it and the rear tires are shot after a lap or two.

PS: Im new here too, hey everyone

Joe
Quote from LFSn00b :- More horsepowers ( 350 / 400 bhp for longer faster slides ) FZ5
- 45 degrees lock for more angel and controling yr drift ) No bloody way, if you cant drift with the lock that is now in LFS, then you just cant.
- better tires that are not to hot after one lap. No
- higer rpm like it was in patch X! now when u are in a drift yr car gets to early in the rev limiter and yr car gets unstable. FZ5

Not this again. :something

Translating your post into real life situation:

"I will drift a Porsche, because it has enough horsepower - 350/400bhp. And hell I won't increase steering lock!! NO WAY!! I'm a driving God, I'm the Stig :eclipseehI can drift a Porsche with stock steering lock".

And "now when u are in a drift yr car gets to early in the rev limiter and yr car gets unstable. FZ5" - Surely Porsche would be the most stable drift car in real life.

I will give few more text like LfsNoob did:

"Why get a girl when you've got a hand?"
"Why install turbo in a car, if you can race it without turbo?"
"Why invent F1 if Karts from shopmarket can be raced as well?"
"Why make movies with software from ie. Avid or Adobe when you have Windows Movie Maker?"
"Why...."

LFS thanks to its physics has ability to simulate many motorsports. It sucks that some people for some reason want to limit this. LFS is now a street car racing sim in a way, gtr cars racing sim, f3 racing sim, f1 racing sim, rallycross racing sim in a way etc. I hope it will get proper support for motorsports like Rally, drifting and more. Be open-minded.

edit:

5haz: Hello Hovewer in drift you would actually want as much grip as possible. Ofcourse this depends on how much power the car has. As much grip as possible, while still being able to hold the drift.
This thread is closed

Drift/Track oriented car
(343 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG