The online racing simulator
Drift/Track oriented car
(343 posts, closed, started )

Poll : Should LFS get a drift car?

No
Yes
Quote from Woz :
The Xrr is NOT the sort of car that could deal with 40deg lock. If you can't understand WHY this is the case you need to read up a little about the effects of low suspension and BIG wheels on steering lock.

That is why you would get a offset wheel.. but you wouldn't need as wide of wheels, as the slicks.

Wider street street tires would perform alot better then the street tires we default with stock wheel setups..

If they were going to do that, it would be nice to take off the spoiler
Quote from MOSTWANTEDM3 : ....

Then i will say we need a more specialized drift car. Easy to understand?
I make an example i can rally with rb4 with a proper setup as i can drift with anything rwd (xrg,xrt,lxs...) as lfs permits lot of changes in set, but i would like a "proper" rally car more suited for rallycross racing. So the same for drifting.
As devs are working on more important things it's not an urgent thing to do but for me in the future it's a +1.
It's a question, you can answer no or yes, and explain your thoughts but no need to insult.
#78 - adin
how somebody already said it is "Live For Speed" not "Live for Drift"
To me this post needs to be locked and deleted , cause some of you who agreee on this POS topic are idiots ....
Can we ban someone for plain lack of common human sense?
+1 for a special drift car.
Why? Well it's another race car for us racers and a fun toy for drifters.

At least drifters are closer to the point and beauty of LFS then Cruisers.....drifting takes skill and effort....cruising is really just waste of bandwith (and most of the recent InSim additions helped cruise admins write "better" software for it....give drifters a cookie too)

I'm just ranting here, while I'm at it but what is it with the SS as well.
Can't we just get a nice, imaginary road car ala LX, RAC, or even XRG/XRT?
As aero is still badly broken in LFS, making high downforce cars is really beating the point.

Meh, just my $0.02
Drifting is not racing yes. But it is one form of motorsports. And yes, LFS is a racing simulator implying drifting is not included. Developping a drift car is not very useful. The cars presently offered by LFS covers much of the needs, ranging from various amounts of power, weight, layout, etc. I think it's a very choice already.

NOW. To all of those avid "hardcore" race drivers, if you don't like drifting, do as you would do in real life: turn a blind eye and move on with life. There are irrelevant and offensive comments that would have gotten you a good beating in real life. If you don't get the "trend", don't make up ignorant assumptions and make some pathetic generalization. Because at the end, those who say "drifters" are immature are often as immature as they are.

But what do you people know, if you were some REAL avid hardcore circuit drivers, you wouldn't be here playing some VIDEO GAME simulating real life, because your sorry ass would have been outside driving on a real race track. Oh wait, some of you don't really have a life outside video games and this is supposed to be living a dream, right...I simply hate how SOME of the people here pretend to be something they are not.So what is the difference between pretending to be a racecar driver and pretending to be Takumi? NONE! Prentenders.

For those real race car drivers, for those who got a chance to drive real racecars, you can cool down your snobiness. You may have alot more opportunity that others but there are those stuck up "I am too cool for you because I drive a open wheeler and I can insult anyone around" comments that needs to be kept inside your mouth. Because maybe of the people are here for the same reason as you: to pretend to be something you are not.

And I thought Live For Speed was a racing simulator not a poser simulator. Wait... That's the Sims.

Now it reminds me not to visit LFSPoserForum so often.
Lets just give race cars way more steering lock and road tyres, that is pretty much what top level cars used in drifting are like :P
Okay for those of you that don't want one, well think of it as a filler car.

Let us look at some things a - in all technicalities - make a drift car different than what we have.

-Differentials we already have, clutch plates.
-Clutch, most drifters use ceramic, or multiple plates for stronger, long lasting, and quicker shifting
-Gears are often straight cut for maximum strength
-Suspension, we already have what we need
-Has a rollcage for more body strength (LFS doesn't have body torsion does it?)
-Engine.. well this can be disputed, but I'd say a 300-400bhp engine would suffice, and a turbo
-Steering angle, of course must be custom done, I don't have any figures, but we'd need much more angle than the XRT or even FZ50 gives us
-Exterior, well it needs to look nice (no joke), a normal car, and a slick body kit, a visible intercooler for the turbo, and a good looking spoiler (.. and you guys know what I mean about good looking, not.. ugly)
-Tires.. someone else can fill me in, I know nothing about that stuff
-
(Hankstar) DELETED by Hankstar : pointless really
Quote from XCNuse :-Tires.. someone else can fill me in, I know nothing about that stuff

Possibly Rubber tires, they are the most commonly used types of tires, apart from little 1:16th scale model cars, which have plastic tires, but wouldn't work for any car to drive.
#86 - Woz
Quote from -DrftMstr- :NOW. To all of those avid "hardcore" race drivers, if you don't like drifting, do as you would do in real life: turn a blind eye and move on with life. There are irrelevant and offensive comments that would have gotten you a good beating in real life. If you don't get the "trend", don't make up ignorant assumptions and make some pathetic generalization. Because at the end, those who say "drifters" are immature are often as immature as they are.

Actually.. What most of us want is a STOP the the endless stream of multiple threads requesting to increase to steering lock, road tyres on cars that would NEVER use road tyres, wings etc etc etc.

Changes to the current cars to allow extra lock WILL effect racing and that is if the car can deal with extra lock. Big lock allows people to get a car loads out of shape and still recover because of the large lock. It should be you get out of shape and you are off.

The skill in racing is that you stay on the track for the duration of the race. Giving help like large lock lowers the skill level needed.

If the drifters STOP requesting changes and they start to realise you CAN drift with the current locks etc then people will not get so wound up.

Having a single car that allows the stupid extremes of setups use by drifters it means the other cars can remain as is and we can filter out the car.

That said. The poll appears to say NO so Drifters... Take the hint and SHUT UP about 45+deg lock and road tyres on GTR cars.
Whether you want it or not, drifting is a large part of lfs community (needed a separate forum?) and it will stay that way because of the physics, more real will bring more people who like drifting.

I have to wonder who can get kicks out of some nfs drift mode, steer into the corner to widen the drift... right.

As said before many times in numerous threads, not hundreds, catering to the needs of only the people who like to race, either to win or to have a equal competition to have a good race, is ignoring the fact that a large part of s2 licensed users like drifting, if this would be the choice of lfs developers it would eventually give room for better products that will grab the market from lfs. It is not about if drifting is a motorsport or not, anyone remember when Scawen was thinking if he was going to implement car football physics into lfs because people liked it from seeing top gear? Personally I think that would've been fun to the people who liked that kind of thing, I couldn't care less about such features. After all this is still a pc game and I think it should be developed as such, players should not be limited by funding for car parts and repairs nor track time and developing should be kept open minded to cater the players, not necessarily how real life is, but to provide accurate enough physics and good interface to enjoy them with.

I say 'accurate enough' because real life conditions are so much more varying at the moment than lfs that it is silly to compare them, I see this forum is mostly infested with die hard fanboys who "know" what lfs should be and feel like without even driving real cars fast nor hard. This is internet after all so such is to be expected, which is why I also would expect developers to take into account the wide market available for them. Make sense or not, this is what I have to say about this whole yes/no drifting/steering lock/car/whatever.
Quote from Woz :Actually.. What most of us want is a STOP the the endless stream of multiple threads requesting to increase to steering lock, road tyres on cars that would NEVER use road tyres, wings etc etc etc.

Changes to the current cars to allow extra lock WILL effect racing and that is if the car can deal with extra lock. Big lock allows people to get a car loads out of shape and still recover because of the large lock. It should be you get out of shape and you are off.

The skill in racing is that you stay on the track for the duration of the race. Giving help like large lock lowers the skill level needed.

If the drifters STOP requesting changes and they start to realise you CAN drift with the current locks etc then people will not get so wound up.

Having a single car that allows the stupid extremes of setups use by drifters it means the other cars can remain as is and we can filter out the car.

That said. The poll appears to say NO so Drifters... Take the hint and SHUT UP about 45+deg lock and road tyres on GTR cars.

didnt you start this thread and now you talking about requests ??? dude how old are you , you are going on this topic like a little like kid everyone else who wants that bloody " DRIFT " car
Quote from Woz :Actually.. What most of us want is a STOP the the endless stream of multiple threads requesting to increase to steering lock, road tyres on cars that would NEVER use road tyres, wings etc etc etc.

as i said before you can drift fine with 36 lock.. i actually get decent angles on 18 lock right now... lower lock cars require more precision and its more fun and challenging
#90 - wark
With regards to the 4WD cars...
I do believe some people are forgetting that the RB4 and FXR can be made RWD. :magnify:
Quote from motary :Lets just give race cars way more steering lock and road tyres, that is pretty much what top level cars used in drifting are like :P

Yes sport tires should be a little bit less wide on the XRR, that should enable more overall steering lock
OK heres the conclusion.After this,I request to LOCK UP this thread

-Stop making requests of MORE lock
-We can already drift with the cars we have NOW
-GTRs will NEVER have road tires or gravel tires
-We can already drift with the lock we have now
-Stop making us drifters look bad
-SHUT UP saying that drifting is racing and ITS NOT
-Drifting isnt bad,try it!
-IMO Their will NEVER be a "drift car"
-Racing isn't either,try it!
-There you go folks.Now please lock this thread up
#93 - Woz
Quote from MOSTWANTEDM3 :didnt you start this thread and now you talking about requests ??? dude how old are you , you are going on this topic like a little like kid everyone else who wants that bloody " DRIFT " car

Actually if you READ my first post and the one you quote you will see it was because of the constant repeated questions in different thread that the drift community of LFS keeps asking is why I started the poll lol. I said why in post one and STILL they requests still come.

Quote from ImportFantasy :OK heres the conclusion.After this,I request to LOCK UP this thread

-Stop making requests of MORE lock
-We can already drift with the cars we have NOW
-GTRs will NEVER have road tires or gravel tires
-We can already drift with the lock we have now
-Stop making us drifters look bad
-Drifting isnt bad,try it!
-IMO Their will NEVER be a "drift car"
-Racing isn't either,try it!
-There you go folks.Now please lock this thread up

+1

but i think you repeated we can already drift with the lock we have now twice xD
I voted no because the cars are already drift ready they just need to be set up for it.
+100 for a drift car but on two major conditions

1, its in its own class so servers can easily stop its use if they wish

2 (and most important) it's only released as part of the licensed content, not demo. if the drift racers are as keen as is made out they will pay for a licence and it would also form a natural partner to the current

single seater demo FBMW -> licenced FOX ->FO8 ->BF1 path

i.e.

for drift demo XRGT -> licenced XRGT Turbo -> New Drift car

this way the drifters have a car on demo which can be drifted and can progress to more powerfull alternatives when licenced and the devs gain extra sales

p.s. when i was young what is now called drifting was powersliding and was done for fun, i also seem to remember that people like gerry marshall and tony dron could get cars very sideways and hold them whilst driving on slicks and didnt need extra steering lock to do it and some of the tarmac rally cars of the '70s spent every corner with the driver looking out of the side window
I think the bitching we would get from racers would not be worth a new car.
I don´t see whats so wrong with a drift car... If some people only drift and others only race what´s so bad for the racers that one of all cars are specific for drifting? I don´t understand why the racers are so against a drift car... you don´t need to race it you know...
There are many drifters out there and of course it would be nice to have a car specific for us drifters... there are many cars we can´t use why should there be a problem that the racers have one car they can´t use?
Quote from ImportFantasy :OK heres the conclusion.After this,I request to LOCK UP this thread

if its not racing then what is d1 gp?
This thread is closed

Drift/Track oriented car
(343 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG