The online racing simulator
The GTA IV thread
(1843 posts, started )
Quote from Riders Motion :I'm pissed off. I can't complete the misson where I have to go get Little J's drug which is kept by the Lost Bikers. Everytime the swat shows up I get killed.

you mean the mission when you need to take the drugs from the old hospital? if you do, shoot the shooters of the heli and any swat guy comes in your way and go straight into the water and swim to freedom
If you go into the big room near where you collect the package, you can climb onto the rafters and jump off the building. It takes a few goes to get it right, but once you're off you can run alongside the building without being shot at
Good, I'll try that later on. I was trying to shoot down everyone but running away sounds like a good plan.
Quote from batteryy :you mean the mission when you need to take the drugs from the old hospital? if you do, shoot the shooters of the heli and any swat guy comes in your way and go straight into the water and swim to freedom

i just ran straight out of the building, killing anyone in my path, and stole a car, then drove like hell for a few seconds to get away. make sure u have body armour too before the mission Actually i think i just knocked the cops down w/ shotgun blast to the legs, because I was afraid of raising my star rating or something.
Quote from Riders Motion :Good, I'll try that later on. I was trying to shoot down everyone but running away sounds like a good plan.

run away to the parking lot, there's a van, take it no matter how many shots it gets but dont try to confront the police, just the ones that get in your place.. and there you go mission complete
I got an interesting "bug" yesterday.

You may have noticed that in this game majority of the cars feel like they either don't have limited slip differential or it's not working properly and so you can't do proper doughnuts.

Well yesterday I picked up the Dukes car, the one what's like a Dodge Charger with side exhausts. After some mission some guy called me (to Niko actually) and while Niko was talking to phone I started a standing burnout. When the phone call was over I released the brake and suddenly my diff felt like it was welded! I had a locked diff and made very nice round doughnuts my both tires smoking until I blew the tires. After that I fixed my car and tried to recreate this nice "bug" but no luck.

There's already some tools out what allow to modify the physics and this made me think if there is some value and changing it can give you a locked diff. Could be nice.
Im gonna get GTA IV today i think, want it mainly for the video editor/online and will do the mission's when im bored

Im hoping i can play it on at least medium.

AMD Athlon X2 5000+ Black Edition @3.0GHZ
4GB DDR2 800MHZ
ATI Radeon 4870 512MB

Although i heard that the game doesn't like dual core too much, quad core seem's to be the way to go.

Meh, look's like i might have to stop being a tight ass and order up that new Phenom II

I heard you can't run it on max unless you have 1GB of memory on the graphics card? That suck's.
Quote :Statistics
Average FPS: 27.35
Duration: 37.04 sec
CPU Usage: 95%
System memory usage: 55%
Video memory usage: 67%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1920 x 1200 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: Low
Render Quality: Low
Reflection Resolution: Low
Water Quality: Low
Shadow Quality: Low
View Distance: 15
Detail Distance: 15
Definition: Off
VSync: Off

Hardware
Microsoft® Windows Vista" Home Premium
Service Pack 1
Video Adapter: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
Video Driver version: 7.14.10.630
Audio Adapter: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+

File ID: Benchmark.cli

What did u expect at that resolution?
It's not like u run SLI/crossfire and have a flaming fast CPU
It's not like you're playing on a movie theater... it's a monitor FFS, lower the resolution
He can decide what resolution he wants to play on. If his monitor is 24" he should play on 1920x1200. If he reverts and uses 1680x1050 his screen will be deform or have jaggies.
Quote from Takumi_lfs :He can decide what resolution he wants to play on. If his monitor is 24" he should play on 1920x1200. If he reverts and uses 1680x1050 his screen will be deform or have jaggies.

Yep I play on a 24" Monitor, even dropping to 1680x1050 doesn't really help the FPS
Quote from mclarenmatt :Yep I play on a 24" Monitor, even dropping to 1680x1050 doesn't really help the FPS

Pretty playable at 30 or so though isn't it? No idea what FPS I was getting @ 1920x1200 with my 8800GTS but it was almost legit.
Quote from pb32000 :Pretty playable at 30 or so though isn't it? No idea what FPS I was getting @ 1920x1200 with my 8800GTS but it was almost legit.

It stutter's a bit but it should be ok for 99% of the time

I might order up a Phenom II, which should help a bit as it's quadcore and will be around 3.6GHZ after i have overclocked it.

If that doesn't help then im stuck until i build a new gaming rig (which won't be for a couple of year's yet, i have already spent enough on this one) as i don't have a Crossfire Mobo
Okay, today this game gave me creepy moments.
I punched a guy till he couldnt fight, to be precise a guard of the helitours company. Then i killed some other guards with the M4, when i saw his face, i zoomed it and pointed to his body, came closer and wtf his face, he had blank eyes and an expression of suffering, so I couldnt resist and i killed him... i feel weird now.. like if it was real
Quote from chanoman315 :Okay, today this game gave me creepy moments.
I punched a guy till he couldnt fight, to be precise a guard of the helitours company. Then i killed some other guards with the M4, when i saw his face, i zoomed it and pointed to his body, came closer and wtf his face, he had blank eyes and an expression of suffering, so I couldnt resist and i killed him... i feel weird now.. like if it was real

You're not tough enough, then. When I shoot someone, I make sure he's dead, and leave some more bullets in his dead body.
Quote from Töki (HUN) :You're not tough enough, then. When I shoot someone, I make sure he's dead, and leave some more bullets in his dead body.

When I'm pissed off with someone in GTA IV I always kill the guy, get a car, hit him until I feel a bit better, and then get the car on him, get out of the car, throw a grenade and walk away... after the explosion and his body flying away it always makes me feel much better

But if the person didn't do anything to me.. I feel bad to kill him/her (although I think it's ok to hit a person with the car, so long as it wasn't intentional).
It's bugged to hell, and crashes every half an hour or so, even with clip capture off, but I still love it

My favourite thing at the moment is to smack a car into things until it catches fire, then park it on the freeway, or somewhere else with very heavy traffic. With good luck and a steady stream of new cars spawning, you can get the chain of explosions to last a good half-hour. Once you get a few people in there too it gets great as the ragdoll bodies start to fly.
Quote from Töki (HUN) :You're not tough enough, then. When I shoot someone, I make sure he's dead, and leave some more bullets in his dead body.

No, punch him first... then do that, no fun in just killng them with bullets... try it, see their faces, how they suffer
I play on a 42'' monitor and my FPS is always steady.

PS3 FTMFW
Now when I have upgraded my processor there is some difference in GTA IV. Overall it's a bit smoother and when the headligths go on it doesn't make me anymore think "oh fook why".

The weird part is that the benchmark itself gives me same results still.
Got bored so wanted to know how much diff there is between a single core to quad core cpus (DRM refuses to let GTA start with a single core cpu).

Goes from dual, tri, quad.

Statistics
Average FPS: 30.01
Duration: 37.62 sec
CPU Usage: 96%
System memory usage: 51%
Video memory usage: 99%

Graphics Settings
Texture Quality: Medium
Render Quality: High
View Distance: 10
Detail Distance: 100

Hardware
Microsoft® Windows Vista" Ultimate
Service Pack 1
Video Driver version: 7.14.10.636
Audio Adapter: Speakers (SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio)
AMD Phenom(tm) 9850 Quad-Core Processor

Statistics
Average FPS: 37.16
Duration: 37.64 sec
CPU Usage: 88%
System memory usage: 62%

Graphics Settings

Hardware
Service Pack 1

Statistics
Average FPS: 43.32
Duration: 37.60 sec
CPU Usage: 72%
System memory usage: 52%

Graphics Settings

Hardware
Service Pack 1

All benchmarks was gone @ 3.0 with x2 ATI 4850.
You could use "set affinity" in the Windows task manager, to stop GTA from using multiple cores.

single core:

Statistics
Average FPS: 29.29
Duration: 37.08 sec
CPU Usage: 51%
System memory usage: 60%
Video memory usage: 58%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1280 x 800 (60 Hz)
Reflection Resolution: Medium
Water Quality: High
Shadow Quality: Medium
View Distance: 24
Detail Distance: 36

Hardware
Microsoft® Windows Vista" Business
Service Pack 1
Video Adapter: ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series
Audio Adapter: Speakers (2- High Definition Audio Device)
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz

Dual core

Statistics
Average FPS: 42.65
Duration: 37.10 sec
CPU Usage: 89%
System memory usage: 59%
Video memory usage: 58%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1280 x 800 (60 Hz)
Reflection Resolution: Medium
Water Quality: High
Shadow Quality: Medium
View Distance: 24
Detail Distance: 36

Hardware
Microsoft® Windows Vista" Business
Service Pack 1
Video Adapter: ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series
Audio Adapter: Speakers (2- High Definition Audio Device)
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz

Quote from kingfag :You could use "set affinity" in the Windows task manager, to stop GTA from using multiple cores.

Yes, but WHY???
Thats like having a Lambo and sticking a block of wood under the loud pedal so it wont go fast!
Quote from Bladerunner :Yes, but WHY???
Thats like having a Lambo and sticking a block of wood under the loud pedal so it wont go fast!

Just to show how much GTA4 benefits from multi-core systems.

The GTA IV thread
(1843 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG