The online racing simulator
The GTA IV thread
(1843 posts, started )
try and post all of your computers specifications then there might be someone that can help you
i have
GeForce 9400GT 1gb
1gb ram
Intel P4 w/HT 3GHz
200gb HDD

anything else?
i think it's the p4
Quote from ma70nismoEd :i have
GeForce 9400GT 1gb
1gb ram
Intel P4 w/HT 3GHz
200gb HDD

anything else?

Your problem is the processor... and not enough RAM.
You are under the minimum requirements for this game...
I would suggest you to buy + 1GB RAM (or more, depending on your mother board/OS) because it's cheap, and, if you can't buy a new processor (which I would recommend core 2 duo or core 2 quad for GTA IV), you should set the minimum value on the graphics settings for things that use the processor too much.

Settings I would recommend for you:
<your chosen resolution> - medium/medium 1/1/1/0
<resolution> - textures/filtering, view distance/detail distance/traffic density/shadow density)

Changing resolution on my computer doesn't change absolutely anything on FPS, so I think you should decide which resolution best suits you regardless of performance.
You can change textures and filtering as much as you want because they are rendered by the graphics card, but I don't recommend you putting textures higher than "medium" because it will use too much graphics memory and the processor has to load the textures anyway so it would reduce performance.
You can increase view distance a bit but when running fast on a car you will notice slowdowns.
If you try increasing traffic density or detail distance you will notice major slowdowns and lag.
If you set shadow density on any value above "0", you'll notice major slowdowns on nighttime.

GTA IV pushes too hard when it comes to processor - having a great graphics card is not enough when using a single core processor. While a 8600GT (with enough memory) is enough for playing it on medium/high graphics, gta iv needs at minimum a really good dual core for playing. (even though minimum requirements are core 2 duo, and recommended is core 2 quad).
Quote from Bose321 :It doesn't look as good as crysis. And i doubt you can play Crysis on max, because even a 280GTX doesn't get good FPS.

Person in Estonia used that rig and got quite reasonable FPS.
It depends on resolution. Crysis test with the rig below:

1920x1080, Very High, DX10 = 34FPS+
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... &feature=channel_page

Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 3,33GHz "Q822A462" - OC 5.17GHz 24\7
ATI Radeon™ X2 4870 2Gb GDDR5 870\1000
8800GTS 512 SLI too
• ASUS Striker Extreme nVidia 680i SLI - 519FSB - 1.50v -> FOR Ati he had other mb
• 4Gb 2x2Gb OCZ Reaper HPC Edition pc6400 800MHz DDR2 CAS 4-4-4-15 1T
• 1,28Tb 2x640Gb Western Digital WD6400AAKS, 300MB/s, 16Mb, Sata II
• PIONEER DVR-215D DVDRW SATA
• Seasonic 700W M12 Modular

Samsung 37" LE37M87BDX - 1920x1080p FullHD

Crysis is demanding, but GTA IV has some problems with porting which gives so many problems.
Quote from ma70nismoEd :i have
GeForce 9400GT 1gb
1gb ram
Intel P4 w/HT 3GHz
200gb HDD

anything else?

The 9400GT isn't really a good card anyway, even though it has 1GB of memory your not really going to use that considering the power of the card.

More RAM doesn't equal speed, despite what a lot of people think.

Also, to the Crysis FPS questions.. Crysis is a terribly optimised game. Even the first versions of Far Cry 2 ran better than Crysis, they also look much better too.
Quote from okijuhans :Person in Estonia used that rig and got quite reasonable FPS.

in timedoemo mode which means jack schitt for real life ingame framerates
Just for fun, I priced up a kit that would run GTA4 properly...this was based loosely around an i7 CPU, 8Gb DDR3 ram, and a trio of 280GTX's...

Unfortunately this lot (including the 32" monitor and other stuff) came to around €5500...so for now I will just have to plod along at low-rez
Quote from Velociround :Your problem is the processor... and not enough RAM.
You are under the minimum requirements for this game...
I would suggest you to buy + 1GB RAM (or more, depending on your mother board/OS) because it's cheap, and, if you can't buy a new processor (which I would recommend core 2 duo or core 2 quad for GTA IV), you should set the minimum value on the graphics settings for things that use the processor too much.

Settings I would recommend for you:
<your chosen resolution> - medium/medium 1/1/1/0
<resolution> - textures/filtering, view distance/detail distance/traffic density/shadow density)

Changing resolution on my computer doesn't change absolutely anything on FPS, so I think you should decide which resolution best suits you regardless of performance.
You can change textures and filtering as much as you want because they are rendered by the graphics card, but I don't recommend you putting textures higher than "medium" because it will use too much graphics memory and the processor has to load the textures anyway so it would reduce performance.
You can increase view distance a bit but when running fast on a car you will notice slowdowns.
If you try increasing traffic density or detail distance you will notice major slowdowns and lag.
If you set shadow density on any value above "0", you'll notice major slowdowns on nighttime.

GTA IV pushes too hard when it comes to processor - having a great graphics card is not enough when using a single core processor. While a 8600GT (with enough memory) is enough for playing it on medium/high graphics, gta iv needs at minimum a really good dual core for playing. (even though minimum requirements are core 2 duo, and recommended is core 2 quad).

i suspected it was my processor. another thing i've been needing to upgrade anyways.

thanks alot for the info/tips!
i greatly appreciate it
Quote from ma70nismoEd :i suspected it was my processor. another thing i've been needing to upgrade anyways.

thanks alot for the info/tips!
i greatly appreciate it

Your not gonna get it running properly by just changing the processor, because that 9400 isn't suited for gaming.
I've completed the game today. I've selected the revenge branch and in result Kate was killed on the wedding. After I have completed all the missions and titles rolled. I was cruising around town and had a call form an Unknown caller... When I picked it up it was Kate proposing to meet.

I went and dated her. Is that a glitch or what?
Quote from [RF]-art555 :I've completed the game today. I've selected the revenge branch and in result Kate was killed on the wedding. After I have completed all the missions and titles rolled. I was cruising around town and had a call form an Unknown caller... When I picked it up it was Kate proposing to meet.

It's Roman in kate's clothes.
Srsly?
getting gta iv soon, need just 10e more. i already had a chance to get it on my comp but this crap didnt run it
Quote from [RF]-art555 :I've completed the game today. I've selected the revenge branch and in result Kate was killed on the wedding. After I have completed all the missions and titles rolled. I was cruising around town and had a call form an Unknown caller... When I picked it up it was Kate proposing to meet.

Yes its a very well known glitch. What happend if you wanted to meet her?
Kev, maybe you would enjoy Fable II. There you can dress up in womens clothes and get married with a man.
Quote from EmilO :Yes its a very well known glitch. What happend if you wanted to meet her?

I did. Just another date. Not with a zombie, pretty looking alive Kate. Had one more call recenlty
maybe she didnt die... and was sent to the hospital...
Quote from chanoman315 :maybe she didnt die... and was sent to the hospital...

Well all the cut scenes clearly told she was dead...Miracle?
maybe... weird tho, didnt like that ending.
Quote from [RF]-art555 :Well all the cut scenes clearly told she was dead...Miracle?

Well, in a world where you can get killed a billion times with essentially no repercussions...
Quote from okijuhans :Person in Estonia used that rig and got quite reasonable FPS.
It depends on resolution. Crysis test with the rig below:

1920x1080, Very High, DX10 = 34FPS+
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... &feature=channel_page

Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 3,33GHz "Q822A462" - OC 5.17GHz 24\7
ATI Radeon™ X2 4870 2Gb GDDR5 870\1000
8800GTS 512 SLI too
• ASUS Striker Extreme nVidia 680i SLI - 519FSB - 1.50v -> FOR Ati he had other mb
• 4Gb 2x2Gb OCZ Reaper HPC Edition pc6400 800MHz DDR2 CAS 4-4-4-15 1T
• 1,28Tb 2x640Gb Western Digital WD6400AAKS, 300MB/s, 16Mb, Sata II
• PIONEER DVR-215D DVDRW SATA
• Seasonic 700W M12 Modular

Samsung 37" LE37M87BDX - 1920x1080p FullHD

Crysis is demanding, but GTA IV has some problems with porting which gives so many problems.

big difference between good and 'reasonable' fps
Today when I was going to meet Little Jacob (he called me), I went to his place, stopped the car and waited for him to get in the car.. he was coming, and when he was about to open the car door, *CRASH*

*Your friend has been injured*

Another car hit him so hard that my car had blood splatted in the whole body, and Jacob flew away about 30 metres
I lol'd

The other driver tried to escape just after that, but I managed to kill him.

Quote from [RF]-art555 :Well all the cut scenes clearly told she was dead...Miracle?

She didn't call me...
I think she doesn't like me

The GTA IV thread
(1843 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG