The online racing simulator
The GTA IV thread
(1843 posts, started )
Quote from LFSn00b :can someone toss me teh GTA IV 1.0.2.0 patch in a .zip or a .rar file? i don't have enough priviledges to install obviously

Did you try this one? http://www.rockstargames.com/support/IV/PC/patch/index.html
It's a .rar file. I think it should work

Quote from RevengeR :I also have some improvement on the fps side, but shadows - even at highest - are still like airbrush from paint.

I think shadows on very high are good (although could be much better) but I think the amount of memory it uses is ridiculous. It increases about 130MB memory usage here (1680x1050) and if I want to enable it I need to decrease view distance.

Also reflection resolution on very high decreases performance a lot when comparing it to high.

I'm now playing with these settings
Quote :Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1680 x 1050 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: Medium
Render Quality: Highest
Reflection Resolution: High
Water Quality: Very High
Shadow Quality: High
View Distance: 52
Detail Distance: 25
Vehicle Density: 100
Shadow density: 0
Definition: On
VSync: On

And the game looks very good. I think it's much better to play with these settings than with reflections and shadows on very high because it makes the memory usage ridiculously high and reduces the memory for view distance.
This patch is amazing and increases performance very much. I don't know how much FPS, because my game still crashes when I try to use the benchmark tool (gives a error saying "Please restart the game" but it never works illepall ), but it's highly playable and runs kinda smooth. I think Rockstar is doing the right thing, maybe just a few more patches and the game is fixed and running smooth for everyone.
Quote from LFSn00b :Yes, it works downloading it, but inside of the rar file, is an installer which im not able to run.

Are you running Windows 7? There are some things I think might work for both Windows Vista and Windows 7
- Run as administrator
Right-click on GTAIV_Patch_V2.exe and select "Run as administrator", then click "Yes" if a UAC warning appears, install and see if it worked.
- Add yourself administrative rights.
Right-click on GTAIV_Patch_V2.exe > "Properties" and go to the tab "Security".
"To change permissions, click Edit." Click on the button "Edit..."
Click on your user (if there is more than a user with your name, apply this to each of them)
"Permissions for <user>"
Check "Allow" in "Full control" and click OK.
Try running and see if it's solved.

If the above doesn't solve the problem, I don't know what else to do I tried extracting the files from the .exe and also installing it in a different place for sending the files to you but it didn't work.
Quote from Velociround :Did you try this one? http://www.rockstargames.com/support/IV/PC/patch/index.html
It's a .rar file. I think it should work

I think shadows on very high are good (although could be much better) but I think the amount of memory it uses is ridiculous.

True, but - at least at me - it doesn't really decrease fps, but view distance does. So I rather have shadows on very high, than bigger view distance.
Getting there... The only time I got busted was when I took Packie for a drink. Then on the way to the car a guy pushed me, hit Packie, and fell into a hole There was stairs going up, but couldn't manage to get upstairs while being drunk. Gonna make a vid of it soon, had some funny moments and positions
Attached images
gta.jpg
I die when police tries to arrest me, is cheaper...
Quote from chanoman315 :I die when police tries to arrest me, is cheaper...

Yea, but I just couldn't kill myself while I was drunk, couldn't climb the stairs, nor pick a weapon. The police came from nowhere, 3 of them. Picked up Packie from the hospital next day
Quote from RevengeR :Yea, but I just couldn't kill myself while I was drunk, couldn't climb the stairs, nor pick a weapon. The police came from nowhere, 3 of them. Picked up Packie from the hospital next day

Happened to me too. But it was with brucie, I wasn't busted and Brucie exploded

wow, 93%... I'm on my way too, I made a new savedgame so I can be a bit more organized now. I must be on about 54% now (last one was 74%, I finished the story in this game 2 times already, this is going to be the 3rd one)

By the way, some random pictures I took:

Falling dead

Flying (I went to the swingset ... jump it and then... WOW!)
I didn't die
Usually when the swingset hit ... 't lose anything at all

Grenade on Perseus
This one was pretty cool specially because of the physics, the security guard flew and his back hit the door and then he fell on the ground it was very cool. It reminded me of this scene from M:I:III, because this same thing happens on the movie: the car explodes and the guy flew over and hit the white car.

One day I decided to get the Sultan RS, I wanted to put it in my garage, so in the morning I went to the place and got the car, had much trouble with making my way through home, many friends called me and I did everything. Then on the night I was getting back home to get the car in my garage, the Sultan RS, the exclusive car which never appears in the game if you don't take it from its "secret parking", when I saw THIS:
Sultan RS 1
Sultan RS 2
I didn't know what to do... I took some pictures and kept going to my house, but.... it was everywhere.
Every turn I went to had at least 2 or 3 Sultan RS parked.
It made me think how exclusive this car is
Good thing is, I could choose the car color, extras and everything from each car
Unfortunately I was just able to take 3 of these cars.... although GTA IV has quite a big view distance (the cars you see usually don't disappear so quickly, even if you go veeery far, if you get back they are still there, and also the AI), my other garage was too far and I couldn't take any other.
Attached images
caindo.jpg
flying.JPG
flying2.JPG
Perseus.jpg
gtaiv 2008-12-30 05-14-32-00.jpg
gtaiv 2008-12-30 05-14-45-48.jpg
gtaiv 2008-12-30 05-16-50-56.jpg
gtaiv 2008-12-30 05-16-54-62.jpg
gtaiv 2009-01-10 04-26-18-89.jpg
That can be annoying unless you want to use the car in a video, in which case you just fill up all your safehouse parking spaces with identicle cars.
What does Vsync do On/Off?

And that other thing, cant remember the name of, what does it do?
Quote from EmilO :What does Vsync do On/Off?

And that other thing, cant remember the name of, what does it do?

Vsync synchronises the vertical pixel lines with the horizontal ones. You should only really turn it on when you get flickering, otherwise it would just take away framerates.

That's what I was told at least
I hired this out good game! got about 25% through then had too take it back. Brucie is ****ing annoying
Quote from sgt.flippy :Vsync synchronises the vertical pixel lines with the horizontal ones. You should only really turn it on when you get flickering, otherwise it would just take away framerates.

I think you are correct (although I'm not sure too )

In GTA IV when vsync is disabled the menus doesn't move correctly, like the rockstar logo doesn't move as much as it would without vsync, and also when the game is loading (showing the game characters) the background doesn't move when vsync is off, only the characters move. Also the "loading - game mission" shows faster than it should. This doesn't affect gameplay at all, so why ever enable it? (by default it's enabled)

I can't notice any fps change with it enabled and disabled though. Still, I'm playing with it disabled
Quote from sgt.flippy :Vsync synchronises the vertical pixel lines with the horizontal ones. You should only really turn it on when you get flickering, otherwise it would just take away framerates.

A display has a certain refresh rate, tft panels usually 60 or 75 hz. Vsync makes sure that the display buffer can't be changed during a refresh cycle. It synchronizes a display buffer update (a new frame) with the vertical blanking interval (the "blank" period between two refresh cycles).
Runs fine on my notebook. Low graphics ftw

Statistics
Average FPS: 35.49
Duration: 37.14 sec
CPU Usage: 93%
System memory usage: 73%
Video memory usage: 61%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 800 x 600 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: Low
Render Quality: Low
View Distance: 1
Detail Distance: 1

Hardware
Microsoft® Windows Vista" Ultimate
Service Pack 1
Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
Video Driver version: 179.28
Audio Adapter: Speakers and Dual Headphones (IDT High Definition Audio CODEC)
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26GHz

bought gta yesterday for xbox, and gotta say im loving it. great game, but i have this issue that if i play long time without stopping the game will suddenly stop
Quote from Velociround :Happened to me too. But it was with brucie, I wasn't busted and Brucie exploded

wow, 93%... I'm on my way too, I made a new savedgame so I can be a bit more organized now. I must be on about 54% now (last one was 74%, I finished the story in this game 2 times already, this is going to be the 3rd one)

By the way, some random pictures I took:

Falling dead

Flying (I went to the swingset ... jump it and then... WOW!)
I didn't die
Usually when the swingset hit ... 't lose anything at all

Grenade on Perseus
This one was pretty cool specially because of the physics, the security guard flew and his back hit the door and then he fell on the ground it was very cool. It reminded me of this scene from M:I:III, because this same thing happens on the movie: the car explodes and the guy flew over and hit the white car.

One day I decided to get the Sultan RS, I wanted to put it in my garage, so in the morning I went to the place and got the car, had much trouble with making my way through home, many friends called me and I did everything. Then on the night I was getting back home to get the car in my garage, the Sultan RS, the exclusive car which never appears in the game if you don't take it from its "secret parking", when I saw THIS:
Sultan RS 1
Sultan RS 2
I didn't know what to do... I took some pictures and kept going to my house, but.... it was everywhere.
Every turn I went to had at least 2 or 3 Sultan RS parked.
It made me think how exclusive this car is
Good thing is, I could choose the car color, extras and everything from each car
Unfortunately I was just able to take 3 of these cars.... although GTA IV has quite a big view distance (the cars you see usually don't disappear so quickly, even if you go veeery far, if you get back they are still there, and also the AI), my other garage was too far and I couldn't take any other.

the sultan rs is not rare this normal sultan is rare.
Quote from LFSn00b :Only if i knew the password for administrator account then it'd work, but my parents have put on the user account control, made my account a regular, and disabled nearly everything.(Seriously, User Account Control has to be the biggest bullshit ever made up)

boot in safe mode?
Quote from PaulH :SecuROM have released a No CD crack for GTA IV...
http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=395143

Yeah, I lol'd when I saw this
DRM making no-cd cracks...

By the way, if you notice this no-cd crack has "1.0.3.0" version, which most probably means we'll have a new patch soon.
Also, Rockstar's website doesn't have the patch 1.0.2.0 for download anymore; it was replaced by the patch 1.0.1.0 link. From what I've heard, this second patch had too many problems, and although Rockstar have not said anything about it yet, I think this is why they removed the download link for the second patch.

I think most people have already noticed, but if not, patch 2 removed many objects from the game, such as hotdog stands, traffic cones, phone booths, debris, fences, newspaper vending boxes, and much more. The city has a lot less detail and is pretty clean now that so much things got removed from it.
http://www.gtaforums.com/index ... howtopic=394394&st=40

I'll reinstall my game and play with the original release, which always worked perfectly here. I'm not going to apply any patches until Rockstar stop removing things from the game to increase fps
Does anyone know how to make your wheel work on GTAIV? I've tried -usedirectinput but it aint working.
i can't get my wheel to work with sandbox gta style games either (Saint's row 2, GTA san andreas etc) if i keep my wheel plugged in, my character just moves forward.

Has the patches helped in optimization much? My computer may be able to handle the thing now with a few tweaks here and there.
Well, heh. Downloaded it about a week ago. At first it was exciting, but after some hours I actually was already bored somehow. Story ain't long either (for me), took only 25-30 hours to complete the main missions. Thought it would take longer as San Andreas took me also about 25-30 playing hours. Overall pretty nice game, after completing the main missions I went for cheats .
Love the SuperGT myself mostly, looks like an Aston Martin for me and really exotic car. Finally you can actually really make a flip on the bikes also which I really like, burnouts are fun and tyre popping is cool also.
Like the bullet holes in the cars also. Can't remember what mission it was but there was the garage in 3rd or 2nd city where you had to kill all those guys in there, I went there and hided myself behind the car, after the shooting there and mission complete my car side was just full of bullet holes.
At all pretty impressive game from R* after those other GTA's.
Quote from Kristjan.J :Well, heh. Downloaded it about a week ago. At first it was exciting, but after some hours I actually was already bored somehow. Story ain't long either (for me), took only 25-30 hours to complete the main missions. Thought it would take longer as San Andreas took me also about 25-30 playing hours.

Well if you only complete the storyline missions then sure, you'll "complete" the game fairly quickly. However, that's only about what, 50% of the game or so? There's so much to do in the game it's almost ridiculous, in a good way. Of course, there's loads of players out there who just go through the story missions as quickly as possible and then say "I completed the game in xx hours" and drop it, or maybe just start over. I feel sorry for them.
Quote from obsolum :Well if you only complete the storyline missions then sure, you'll "complete" the game fairly quickly. However, that's only about what, 50% of the game or so? There's so much to do in the game it's almost ridiculous, in a good way. Of course, there's loads of players out there who just go through the story missions as quickly as possible and then say "I completed the game in xx hours" and drop it, or maybe just start over. I feel sorry for them.

I did not mean that, I've done a lot other stuff there also already. Noticed the blue person markers on the radar when you drive around, done some of them. Also in the cop car you can take missions from there in the computer the car has, done also these.
Btw, killing those flying rats, do they give you also the complete percentage?
Quote from Kristjan.J :Btw, killing those flying rats, do they give you also the complete percentage?

Yes, and they are necessary for 100% completion

The GTA IV thread
(1843 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG