The online racing simulator
LFS updater
Worked fine for me!

Much prefer new BF1 sound.
Quote from mrfell :Unfortunately i'm behind a poxy server at work, how do i update the test patches as i cant get to the master server.?

I'm behind a proxy, too.
Scawen, can you provide us with zip file URL?
Quote from Yaamboo :I What I mean is about every soundcard nowadays comes with an equalizer, and if you adjust its settings accordingly to your hardware, you won't need to adjust any game settings.

Yeah but then your sound is screwed up for every other program.
Quote from Gunn :Yeah but then your sound is screwed up for every other program.

What he's saying is that if you have the balance right on your eq for other programs, it should be fine for LFS. I really can't see the point of having an eq in-game. And the relative volume of the sounds should be limited in adjustability (as it is). In fact, I think its good that it doesn't allow excessive adjustability. I wouldn't mind certain sounds being split up more though.
Most games have an effects and music slider... The sounds should be already adjusted to that. Although I want to keep the echo slider, I always turn it off, it's just wrong.
I just hope Scawen has a look at the rev matching of the sounds (as mentioned by Todd somewhere up there), because it does indeed sound like the sound rarely matches the engine sound (i.e. less noticable at lower rpms).

Is there a chance this is a bug, or is the reason the BF1 sounded like it revved to no more than 7000rpm before something else?
I love you, man.
Quote from KiDCoDEa :just a bit of info to say all sounds in lfs are meant to be the "replica" of the sound prior to helmet. so if u wanna u use helmet while playing to get the helmet effect. sounds are done "without helmet".

Oh.. I thought it should sound like you're sitting in the car with a helmet on...
If that's not the case (like you stated) then the "muffling" is even worse. It sounds like you've got huge amounts of wax in your ears... :tired:
Quote from Scawen :But... I insist on a couple of weeks break for Christmas holiday, I can't just go on and on without a pause.

No, no, you can't... you must go on, else we'll have to get out the whips and chains!

Nonetheless, thanks for the continued updates and have a good Christmas break!
Quote from tristancliffe :I just hope Scawen has a look at the rev matching of the sounds (as mentioned by Todd somewhere up there), because it does indeed sound like the sound rarely matches the engine sound (i.e. less noticable at lower rpms).

Is there a chance this is a bug, or is the reason the BF1 sounded like it revved to no more than 7000rpm before something else?

There is of course a frequency input that is at the rate of firing of the cylinders, obviously each one firing every two revolutions because they are all four-stroke engines. But there are significant frequencies at the rate of half the engine rpm. Because each cylinder is different from another, and a different distance down the tube. Look at a sound of a real car, put it through a frequency analyser or whatever you want, I am sure you will find significant frequencies at half the engine rpm.

By the way, I don't have some kind of sound maker that says "hey let's insert a bit of this frequency and that frequency and a bit of that one for good measure - oo that sounds like a car". It creates firings at the correct rate (actually the sound of the burnt pressurised waste gases being released as the exhaust valve opens) and fires them into an exhaust pipe simulation.

The V and flat engines have two pipes and their sounds are played with s tiny delay which helps simulate the fact that they are slightly apart. That means in the FZ cars you may find certain frequencies related to a triple. Because it's two inline triples joined at the crankshaft. Similarly for the V8s which are two inline fours joined at the crank.
scawen, i really dont wont to bother you as you seem to have to do much anyway, at least with reading, but some pages back, i asked for another unlock to take a look at u33 sounds. i tried u32 and liked most of the sounds, but i just couldnt stand driving the fo8 in an hour race with the new sound so i did go back to u30 and used my 2 unlocks.

can i please get another unlock to try u33? someone else asked too btw.

edit:
ok, nevermind...
Quote from dodo.ger :scawen, i really dont wont to bother you as you seem to have to do much anyway, at least with reading, but some pages back, i asked for another unlock to take a look at u33 sounds. i tried u32 and liked most of the sounds, but i just couldnt stand driving the fo8 in an hour race with the new sound so i did go back to u30 and used my 2 unlocks.

can i please get another unlock to try u33? someone else asked too btw.

And that someone else got replied to - click on the "contact us" link at the bottom of this page, and e-mail technical support, don't ask here.
Yes we do have a technical support email.

Forgetting to back up your unlock is really not a "U33 bug" so it doesn't belong here, as I'm programming, not working the tech support system.

It'll make me a tiny bit happier when people don't ask me unnecessary things because I'm just trying to get official version V together. Just a couple more test exes to go.
Quote from Scawen :Yes we do have a technical support email.

Forgetting to back up your unlock is really not a "U33 bug" so it doesn't belong here, as I'm programming, not working the tech support system.

It'll make me a tiny bit happier when people don't ask me unnecessary things because I'm just trying to get official version V together. Just a couple more test exes to go.

You heard Scawen, go on, beat it!
I lay down for about 8 hours and the master himself asks me a question! :doh: :rolleyes:

First thing first - at max impeller RPM we have max airflow into the turbo. This the only thing you can really -hear- because it's loud, and the interaction between the intake manifold / valves and the impeller isn't really heard for the purpose of what we're discussing. The impeller taking in air is what we hear, rather than the engine taking in air (semantics, but still). At X impeller RPM, the turbine will move X amount of air (basically, save for losses due to pressure buildup etc). The sound created by the impeller will get louder with impeller RPM, but also with pressure buildup since air on the output side is generating friction by providing backpressure on the impeller. This is why the sound should be related to impeller RPM, but also as pressure builds up there should be a further increase in volume. This is what I was saying in an earlier post, that the increase in volume is not linear to impeller speed and this is why...

Turbines are only efficient at specific RPMs, which is one of the problems in LFS. LFS doesn't appear to model the efficiency range of the turbocharger's impeller as it is, and I think this is the big reason for the "bigass lag" problem (although the GTRs cars are probably not that far off TBH, huge turbo, tiny efficiency range). It will tend to spool very easily (not linearly like in LFS) up until it hits it's efficiency range, so most of the spooling should happen much faster - this is missing in LFS. Really, would should happen is that the cars should start to loose boost at higher RPMS, which they do not. In the LFS world, the turbo can supply enough air no matter how high you rev (WAY past the engine's torque peak) and this is a short comming. The only alternative to make it work, is to make them act like the RAC which is dead wrong - the impeller RPM and boost pressure are always too related (higher boost at lower RPM needs less impeller RPM, but very little is generated...).

This kind of went way off track, sorry :sadbanana

However, when you do decide to look at boost modelling please have a look (if you haven't already) at how compressor maps work http://www.rangerpowersports.com/tech/?p=132 and this should clear things up a lot... I'm sure you know most of it anyway, just trying to help

So, if at full throttle in the XRR, max impeller RPM occurs around 4500, along with max boost, then our wastegate will kick in and allow exhaust out of the turbocharger's turbine housing to stop boost creeping, since we want it maxed at X lbs (24?). Thus, the turbocharger is pumping it's max volume of air into a particular demand for the engine (XXX CFM) At 6500RPM, the turbo is still working as hard as possible, max pumping, but the engine now demands more than XXX CFM to maintain 24LBS, thus some pressure should've been lost. (small turbo efficiency range - probably totally right for a GTR car). Road cars behave similar, but generally the turbos have better (more suitable) efficiency ranges to make them driveable, plus they're not usually trying to maintain 2 bar . So, yes it's a problem with the model - but the fact still remains - the air sound must inherantly be related only to the amount of air the turbocharger is pumping, and also be affected further by how much pressure already exists in the manifold.

Hope this makes sense, sorry for my tardiness - living across the world has disadvantages
What about making the sound when you hit the curbs much stronger? In real life you can hear the curbs even in a GTR-like car, not to mention GTI and the others.
What you mean is the "bump" sound generated by fast tyre/suspension impacts. We definitely need those some time (they don't exist at all yet, as far as I can tell), but I don't think they're crucial for patch V
cars thar run *internal wastegates* will have the problem of boost taper as I know it and even the other way of overboost as the wastegate kreeps as well so if u want to get all technical, shifting earlier and flooring it should make boost spike as well, in race cars they usually run external gates which holds the boost right to max rpm and is controlled more reliably with ems

if the game is going to mature this far as to even map volumetric efficeny for each car and turbocharger,I would seriously look at using a phisics card api etcetc to do this work, as the way i see it im no programmer, but there is going to be a lot of calculations going on in this game when its finihsed (I hope it develops this far) :woohoo:
Quote from Scawen :The V and flat engines have two pipes and their sounds are played with s tiny delay which helps simulate the fact that they are slightly apart. That means in the FZ cars you may find certain frequencies related to a triple. Because it's two inline triples joined at the crankshaft. Similarly for the V8s which are two inline fours joined at the crank.

Why 'tiny delay'?
Each work cycle is 60° of crankshaft rotation away. Thus each time distance between each cycle is constant. Thus I don't understand why you use the term "tiny". In relation to what? All time distances are equal.
A quick search gave this table of a flat 6 engine.
red = work
Light red = eject
light blue = take in
blue = compress
Each line is for one cyliner. 1&4, 2&5 and 3&6 are across.

[Edit] * V8 engines need some discussion, because of Crossplane versus flatplane V8s.

Vain
Attached images
6zyl_zuend.gif
Quote from AndroidXP :What you mean is the "bump" sound generated by fast tyre/suspension impacts. We definitely need those some time (they don't exist at all yet, as far as I can tell), but I don't think they're crucial for patch V

I mean that in real life when you go on the curbs with two tyres you hear a constant booming/buzzing sound until you go off from it because of the rough surface of the curbs. If you understand what I mean...
ripple strip noise mate,
regards to sound, really the bf1 is going nowhere,
the rest still all sound alike there isnt much difference between the cars, just seems more deeper then before
I wanted more intake noise but i didnt get it
Quote from csimpok :What about making the sound when you hit the curbs much stronger? In real life you can hear the curbs even in a GTR-like car, not to mention GTI and the others.

I also think skid sounds still are too low. Drove a stint with FZR around Aston Grand Prix today and it's very difficult wether ur racing on the limit ot not
Anyway, i think the sounds are an improvement, keep going!
Quote from csimpok :I mean that in real life when you go on the curbs with two tyres you hear a constant booming/buzzing sound until you go off from it because of the rough surface of the curbs. If you understand what I mean...

Yes, that is because the curbs are usually sawtooth curbs which bump the tyre violently in rapid succession, causing it to deform and emit sound waves (at least it works like that in my mind). We are missing those sounds and I agree with you
Quote from Vain :
A quick search gave this table of a flat 6 engine.

No linking allowed apparantly

Quote :
[Edit] * V8 engines need some discussion, because of Crossplane versus flatplane V8s.

Definitely. Scawen earlier described a flat plane crank V8 only... Hopefully crossplaned ones will come in someday (Ha, then we can compare Todd's thing J/K) for the right applications.
This thread is closed

OLD test patch thread, up to U35
(851 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG