The online racing simulator
Quote from AndroidXP :Didn't someone in this thread state that exactly that was missing? That he's normally able to make out the location of opponents on the track by their tyre screeches where the engine isn't hearable anymore?

I think that person was referring to when he is in the car - I was using the trackside or shift-u cameras.

From those I can hear the engine at a level that sounds very close to what I'd expect it to - i.e. I can approximately judge the distance to the car making that noise, it just sounded weird that I could hear the squeals at such a distance as well. *shrug*
Quote from AndroidXP :These are (semi-)sawtooth curbs. LFS does NOT have such curbs! Ours are more zig-zagging like /\/\, not /|_/|_ (just a lot flatter).

I know these are NOT in LFS, I thought that's what I said with "half and mirrored"...
Quote from eindh :There is a problem in the translated engine text in the car selection screen. It seems that the text is concatenated without spaces between fields. It happens in spanish and some other languages, but not in english.

It happens, at least to me, with the new 32-34 patches (don't know exactly which one introduced it).

Thanks, well spotted! It appears that Victor changed something in the online translation system, that removed some spaces at the start of some strings (that affected just a few text strings in LFS). I've changed how it works now, so LFS inserts the spaces if needed.

I replied to this now so the translators don't think they have done something wrong. Nothing needs to be changed in the translations. This bug is already fixed in my version.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :My point is that in LFS, the impeller stops gaining RPM and yet somehow manages to provide the same amount of boost for 3000 more engine RPM. How is this correct?

Boost will also taper off at high revs if the turbocharger simply cannot provide enough air due to it's size / efficiency range limitations (which I guess you could say is "part of the intake system choking")

Yes I agree - this is not correct in LFS. The turbos don't "run out of out breath" as they should.

Also other faults including that they take ages to spin up which is wrong at least for the road cars which would have smaller turbos (which should run out of breath or maybe have twin turbos). The turbo simulation is awaiting improvements in an incompatible version. I can't really do any sound changes to it at the moment because they would just be fudging it, rather than taking their values from the sim. At the moment, the turbo sim has its drawbacks and these are audible in the sound.

Basically we have large turbos that take ages to spin up but then the engine can take any amount of air it likes from that pressurised intake, limited only by its cylinders and not the turbo itself.
Quote from Shotglass :not necessarily which was my point just because its running at a certain rpm doesnt mean the flow through it will be the maximum flow the turbine could provide at that rpm
so the whine doesnt necessarily change but the whoooosh can
at least from my understanding

Yes, this agrees with my understanding as well.

The example I am thinking of is if the turbo is running fast, near its best operating speed and I am on wide open throttle somewhere aproaching peak torque rpm. So there's loads of air and so a big whoosh.

Now I release throttle a bit but not enough to make the dump valve open. Anyway I've just closed the throttle valves a bit so they are reducing the flow by creating higher pressure between the impeller and the throttle valves (and lower pressure between the throttle valves and the inlet valves) so this causes reduction of air going into the engine and so a reduction in the whooosh sound for that instant while the turbo is still at nearly the same speed.

So in this sense LFS is "right" because it does vary the whoosh according to how much air the engine is taking, which can vary with engine RPM and throttle position, and turbo speed. However, it's wrong in its simulation of how much air the turbo can provide and how it reacts to changes in engine conditions.
Ok. Just tested U34... Here are my impressions:

I think the GTRs sound MUCH better now. I like the sound of the FXR very much and XRR is good, too, but the FZR still lacks a certain nastyness (The FXR got the kind of roaring i want to hear! So it's not a constant tone, but more like the same tone played very fast repeatedly). The sound lfs plays now when you hit the curbs needs to be a little louder (hearable). That'll ad a big deal to the atmosphere...

Just my 2 cents.

aimbottle
I don't hear the kerb sounds everyone talks about and that I have been waiting for since pre-S1 times
Quote from Yaamboo :I don't hear the kerb sounds everyone talks about and that I have been waiting for since pre-S1 times

Take the lx4, hit the curbs and listen reeeeaaaalllyyy hard. When you still don't hear it, try turning your engine volume down.

Edit: the sound gets louder the more pressure is on the tyres... so it helps if you try it with curbs on the outside of a corner.
Just a little thing. I don't have the time to read through all the posts and maybe it's been asked before. When I installed patch U32 over U0.5 (i think it was that one) I had to unlock my S2 license again, but I didn't have to do it with the automatic updates (U33 and U34). Will I need to unlock everytime I install a non-automatic patch?
Quote from MaKaKaZo :Just a little thing. I don't have the time to read through all the posts and maybe it's been asked before. When I installed patch U32 over U0.5 (i think it was that one) I had to unlock my S2 license again, but I didn't have to do it with the automatic updates (U33 and U34). Will I need to unlock everytime I install a non-automatic patch?

No, there was a change in the license system due to a bug with U32. This bug is now fixed and that is why the unlock was necessary. You recieved an extra unlock with U32's release so no need to worry.
No. U32 had a fix to the licensing system, which caused LFS to be locked. Normal patches or small fixes will NOT require you to unlock LFS over and over.

E: SECONDS! :mad:
Ok theres new test patch yet i have not downloaded it or installed it yet lfs Restarter is part of the automatic update system how dose it work?
Download U32. Install U32. Then click multiplayer, and choose a download mirror for the latest test patch (e.g. the English one). Sit back and wait - LFS will restart itself (which is what LFS Restarter does) and Bob's your uncle.
Quote from dev :But when I set my view to costum, I allways hear the sound as if I was inside the car, even if I place the costum camera outside of the car. Could you make an ability to select whitch sound is generated when in costum view?

that's on purpose. that's how it should be in current system. custom cam is used for driving positions where even if on hood or roof (for whatever reason of preference), your "spirit" is in the driving. for now that won't change (as far as my opinion counts on that).
Quote from KiDCoDEa :that's on purpose. that's how it should be in current system. custom cam is used for driving positions where even if on hood or roof (for whatever reason of preference), your "spirit" is in the driving. for now that won't change (as far as my opinion counts on that).

but for making movies (camera on the door, showing the front wheel) this is not good...
Quote from Chaos :but for making movies (camera on the door, showing the front wheel) this is not good...

that cam at its current state was not introduced for making movies. also u can grab the sound from any other view that you want anyway.
i wont suggest make lfs worse for driving so it becomes easier for movies.
also current implementation is extremely incomplete from original proposal that was sent 2 or 3 years ago. so for now its as it should be. in future you wont have reasons to complain , i hope
Quote from tristancliffe :I think the road cars need to sound tame - no gear whine, no air induction noise (or very little), a bit of wind roar, smooth engines.

dont think so
keep in mind that all the cars in lfs are 80s/90s road cars with fairly small displacements for the power they produce
in other words the engines are old and tuned quite a lot ... they should make a lot of racket (for a road legal car anyway)
and to my knowledge performance cars from that era do have noticeable gear whine ... it sounds a different from the gear whine lfs currently has but its there
Quote from Chaos :but for making movies (camera on the door, showing the front wheel) this is not good...

I have made this slight change.

In my version, if you are actually outside the bounds of the car's rectangle as viewed from above (I had this calculation already for a shadow cpu saver) then it is external. Within the rectangle it is internal, regardess of if you are actually outside or inside the cockpit at that point. So a car wheel camera has external sound.

That's as far as I'm going for now, if you are on the bonnet then it is internal (that would be a point for discussion but it's not easy to detect that kind of thing so I'm not making that external ) Others might say that if you can only see the wheels then it should be external / not muffled but then your gear whine would be reduced as well so I'm not doing that either or any more complicated variants.
@Shotglass Not convinced.

I owned a late 70's Toyota Celica GT (1.6 twin cam), a Datsun 160J SSS (complete with dogleg gearbox, and twin carbs) and various early 80's hot hatches and performance cars.

NONE of them had gear WHINE, which generally comes from straight cut gears istead of helical cut ones, sure, they may have had noisy boxes, but no gear whine.
Quote from Shotglass :dont think so
keep in mind that all the cars in lfs are 80s/90s road cars with fairly small displacements for the power they produce
in other words the engines are old and tuned quite a lot ... they should make a lot of racket (for a road legal car anyway)
and to my knowledge performance cars from that era do have noticeable gear whine ... it sounds a different from the gear whine lfs currently has but its there

Agree about the engines, XFGTi in particular should be a real fizzy little firecracker, and I don't get that impression from the current sounds, but (although it was technically a much poorer sound) the original sounds did give me that impression.

General question now, anyone else find the gear-whine totally uninspiring? It's more like a whistle, the sound is the same for every car and only the volume is altered. It needs to be much more agressive and dynamic, more gear and throttle dependant, not just louder on the GTR race cars, and should not just be the same sound as on the road cars but at a different volume.
THIS is gearbox whine
(I know we don't have that car too btw)
http://uk.video.yahoo.com/vide ... %3DUTF-8%26meta%3Dvc%253D
Quote from danowat :NONE of them had gear WHINE, which generally comes from straight cut gears istead of helical cut ones, sure, they may have had noisy boxes, but no gear whine.

blame it on the language barrier ... at least you should hear something from the gears on the road cars (as i said it sounds a lot different irl than i currently does in lfs)
Quote from sinbad :Agree about the engines, XFGTi in particular should be a real fizzy little firecracker, and I don't get that impression from the current sounds, but (although it was technically a much poorer sound) the original sounds did give me that impression.

General question now, anyone else find the gear-whine totally uninspiring? It's more like a whistle, the sound is the same for every car and only the volume is altered. It needs to be much more agressive and dynamic, more gear and throttle dependant, not just louder on the GTR race cars, and should not just be the same sound as on the road cars but at a different volume.
THIS is gearbox whine
(I know we don't have that car too btw)
http://uk.video.yahoo.com/vide ... %3DUTF-8%26meta%3Dvc%253D

hehehe what a noise!! great example for Scawen
Quote from Scawen :In my version, if you are actually outside the bounds of the car's rectangle as viewed from above (I had this calculation already for a shadow cpu saver) then it is external. Within the rectangle it is internal, regardess of if you are actually outside or inside the cockpit at that point. So a car wheel camera has external sound.

nice nice. best of both worlds, pleases everyone and avoids another option.
This thread is closed

OLD test patch thread, up to U35
(851 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG