The online racing simulator
My two cents about the new engine sounds:

It sure is an impossible task to make an engine sound that everybody is happy with. So this is just my opinion...

I see an improvement in the sounds somehow. They are "well polished" you could say. It's a matter of taste i would say, but i prefer character, natural things... like in women i'll always like the ones that are naturally beautiful over the "polished" ones (barbies... full of makeup, etc). Or with cars... i'll always like old cars (or some very few new ones) for their curves and their character, while most of the new ones are rather boring and... "polished". If you know what i mean...

This is how i feel about the new engine sounds.

They may sound nice, but to me it seems wrong. Some cars sound more like vacuum cleaners now... i'm sorry if this sounds a bit harsh, but i don't know how to say it better. It's not all of them, the FZ50 sounds pretty good now for example.
But then again the XRT... feels completely wrong.

As a side note... i was about 3 seconds slower in the FOX and catched about 2 seconds up to my normal lap times after 40 laps. You can say i just need to get adjusted to it, but i say this is just a sign that the previous engine sounds was better. I feel like i have less feedback from my engine (sound wise).

I'm not saying that keeping the old engine sound is a must, but this would be the wrong way to improve it in my opinion.

I aswell drift in LFS. And my most used car for that is the XRT.
I was about to say "well, it's not that bad, i will adjust to the new engine sounds". But then i went drifting (and used the xrt therefor). And i must say, the new sound ruins the whole feeling of it. It's hard to find the right words here... it's like...
Before i felt my car, i heard my engine... i heard how i was reving it... i got good response from throttle control (engine sound)... it just felt like driving a road car. It was good.
But now i feel like i am drifting my vacuum cleaner... silently... through the night... illepall

There seem to be many people who like it, and many who dont. Several people have already switched back to the previous sound. I am seriously thinking about it.

But my point is... when this gets released in a final patch, and i wanna stay up to date, then i can't "switch back". Then i gotta "live for (this) sound". illepall

I don't really care about changes to, lets say the map, so much (let's say they would be bad for my taste). I can live with such things. I mean i can live with changes that i dont like that are not the "core" elements. But the car sounds is a really sensitive topic in my opinion. It is a big factor that makes me like a game/sim or not.

I dunno how to put it better... to me it just really feels wrong.
I would really miss the old sound and have a hard time adjusting to the new ones (as i said, when its final, then i'll have to).

But now we can still say that we don't like it! Can't we?
just to confirm the cracklin fix in U32 its wonderfull clear sound now even if i have lots of cars near me

(i still had those cracklings in U30)
i like the sounds exept the bf1 . the bf1 should really be adjusted, not like irl.
I think the sounds themselves are nothing to write home about. But from reading the posts on them I think the way they are brought to us is better and leaves alot of room for improvement and this could be a great way to have sound!

In GTR they use samples, while at full throttle they sound nice they lack their luster at anything but. I think the way LFS is doing the sound could overcome that and should be great for LFS, once it's completed fully with sounds that are not so flat.
Quote from Hurts2bStock :This was posted on another thread by moonclaw

That shows how intense the sound can be in an open cockpit

YEAH!!!!!! that is what I mean, this is how the sounds should be...

oops sorry, about the sounds, it´s enough...

today i was racing on Multi and I must have to 27-28% to finish the race and i had it at the start (boxes) and the 10% at the next pit in.... ok I joined the race and I just had 10%.. what?? yes. join to the boxes and said there 27% at the start... join again to the race and F12 said to me than I had just 10% so that happened twice, leave the server and it was ok
Quote from Lotesdelere :

Back to the topic, I've just made some tests on some U32 servers and I'm a bit disappointed to see that there is still the ability to pit in lap 0
This is a major issue for races with forced pit stop and I really hope that it'll be fixed for patch V

Agreed this is causing problems in the LFS: GTR League and many of our public races, please do this ASAP is possible
i have little problem with the new patch. sorry if it was questioned before but i have that little "bling" like sound when i shift gears. thats the same sound which is when i press a random key on the keyboard which has no function. im using an H shifter which simulates defined keystrokes which keys are set to the gear numbers in lfs.
how can i disable that sound? (no, i dont want to delete the file or turn down the interface volume )
New sound illepall
I found a little weather mismatch: in hotlapping, when i select KY national with cloudy afternoon, the game loads cloudy morning, and when i select cloudy morning, it loads cloudy afternoon.
Well I spent quite some time driving at race pace (and also fooling around with drifting) in the XFG and XRG yesterday, and must say I like their sounds (thats with my amplified tyre sounds though as posted earlier)

I did feel more connected to the two cars than with the old sounds, and I do find the engine and transmisson noises were giving me great throttle control in the corners. I noticed that the XRG being a RWD had louder drive train noise than the XFG, so thats realistic, although the drive train noises in the road cars should probably be less overall.

Having said that though, I found it interesting that when I droped around to my old mans place and installed U32 for him I noticed on his system when I tested the XFG the drive train noises were not noticable, where on my PC they were quite noticable so it's pretty likely that each PC's sound system will render the sound differently

So maybe a few extra settings with slider bars in the main menu or parameters you can set in a config file might be worth looking at as sugested earlier in the thread, for the individual parts of the car sounds (drive train noise, engine, etc.) so that each users PC setup can get the most out of the sound environment.

I've noticed this with the old patch also, the sound can be totally different on another PC, so no two PC are the same I guess.

Just a side not also, different tyres in LFS like Hybrid, Road Normal, Raod Super and Slicks should eventually all have their own sound signiture, as you definately can tell the difference in road noise between different tyres in real life

Good job anyway, keep up the good work!
Is it possible to get an unlock to test this patch ?
Quote from Tanpax :Is it possible to get an unlock to test this patch ?

Everyone has got one extra unlock to test it
everyone got an unlock so you too should have one
Edit: Damn,too slow
Strange that noone noticed - there's no boost sound at all. There's just no such a file like "DumpValve" in data\sound folder. Aslo the "Wind" file is missing. Hope this will be fixed.

And here is an obvious example of a real gear wine in attach (cut from "Assen-bmwSTW.wmv"). That's not very nice to hear such stuff all the way ))

Also thanx for the update.
Attached files
Gearwine.part1.rar - 1.4 MB - 188 views
Gearwine.part2.rar - 712.4 KB - 186 views
Well, in my opinion, the pre-U32 (old) sounds were much much (...) much much better than they currently are. The cars just sound pretty weird right now. I actually never go into a car sounding this horrible. And many of them sound like a vacuum cleaner

BTW, I can't seem to find U30 anymore... If anyone has a working link?
Thanks a lot mate .
Quote from jenek :Strange that noone noticed - there's no boost sound at all. There's just no such a file like "DumpValve" in data\sound folder. Aslo the "Wind" file is missing. Hope this will be fixed.

There is no such file. I guess it's just not needed. I hear the turbo and dumpvalve on my headphones, but I am sure I did not hear them yesterday with my speakers. Overall the sounds might actually be better on my headphones (they are rather cheap, not much low range etc.) . I will have to test it some more tomorrow, neighbours will get pissed if I turn on my speakers at night.
Quote from jenek :Also the "Wind" file is missing. Hope this will be fixed.

I guess that might be because it's called "WindExternal.wav" now
Quote from AndroidXP :I guess that might be because it's called "WindExternal.wav" now

There was also a WindExternal.raw in the old version. It's just the external wind sound
i still think scawen is simulating the drivers helmet
I don't know if anyone else is having the same problem, but since U30 (I think), I've had random lock ups...everything freezes including sounds and then I get blue screen with the physical memory dump. I'm not sure what I can do to correct this.
I would like to point out something, that DOES bother me: the gear noise. Does anyone elses ears hurt from the high pitch? Would it be possible, Scawen, to lower the pitch from, lets say as an example, 20000 hz to 15000 hz?
Quote from Micaoct :I don't know if anyone else is having the same problem, but since U30 (I think), I've had random lock ups...everything freezes including sounds and then I get blue screen with the physical memory dump. I'm not sure what I can do to correct this.

That heppends to me for an instant... but the blue screen with the physical memory dump i dunno what it is.
This thread is closed

OLD test patch thread, up to U35
(851 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG