The online racing simulator
In regard to the auto updating. Terrific feature but...can it not also be available in the 'Join Specific Server' window? Or does that count as a feature request?
^ I think Doorman's suggestion is very good, it should also be in join specific game. (I spend a lot of time on a number of very specific hosts because of my connection and rarely use the list of games).

Jeff just pointed me to another gem over MSN - the RAC sounds amazing! Much like the LX6, it doesn't go flat on high revs and the sound is just great. A big there.
Quote from axus :I've been trying to say this for some time - I posted a vid of the McLaren F1 LM (which is just a McLaren F1 GTR converted for the road so it still has straight cut gears)... the gear whine clearly skips back and forth when lifting off the throttle.

This is only due to the lack of driveline play in LFS. It shouldn't be "canned', but right now the drivelines in LFS are unrealistically tight. No "rubber banding" can happen. Should be worse in RWD cars with more driveline mass.

Quote from Scawen :
So in this sense LFS is "right" because it does vary the whoosh according to how much air the engine is taking, which can vary with engine RPM and throttle position, and turbo speed. However, it's wrong in its simulation of how much air the turbo can provide and how it reacts to changes in engine conditions.

Ok I understand your point, I see I was trying to fix it without addressing the main problem and there's no sense botching it of course. So in a situation like you described, is there currently a drag imposed on on the impeller to slow it down as much as it should? If we're building up pressure between the impeller and the throttle valve, the impeller will get dragged down rather quickly only to the point where the turbine side has the oomph to maintain X impeller speed & intake pressure At any rate, thanks for talking with me / us about the boost modelling in LFS. I really appreciate it, I've wanted to to hear what your thoughts are for a couple of years now.

Other things:

The RAC sounds really really REALLY great. If I could drive it worth crap, I would never drive another car

I make a motion for slightly louder turbo and air and BOV sounds on the FXR, XRR. If you listen to that video of the Alzen (sp?) 996 Turbo GTR at the 'ring, you can hear A LOT of air being consumed
I got a worm when dl u34 from England's server.

Using Kapersky.
Scawen, maybe you could disposal any slider to adjust the gain of the loudness according with the velocity increases. I'm not sure if I was clear...
i just had this grafik bug (or whatever it could be)

updated from U33 to U34 joined that server played about 1min
and that started i post it here because i never ever had any problems before
so i guess (hope) its related to U34 and not to my graphics card ?

edit: system specs:

2.6ghz pentium
2gb ram
gforce fx 5700le
xp sp2
Attached images
lfs grafik.JPG
Quote from Speed Soro :I got a worm when dl u34 from England's server.

Using Kapersky.

Kapersky is wrong
Quote from Speed Soro :Scawen, maybe you could disposal any slider to adjust the gain of the loudness according with the velocity increases. I'm not sure if I was clear...

If I understand you correctly (ie. you want a magical slider that increases the volume with speed, I think), that would go against just about everything LFS stands for. I can't understand why you would want to do this - engines don't sound louder at 6000rpm in 6th gear than at 6000rpm in 3rd gear.
Quote from MagicFr :hmm , i suspect this from brend new gearbox mounted. Also you dont know with what microphone they recorded that

Yep that is as raucous and excessive as it gets, but don't you think the current whine is a bit tame and that it doesn't respond to throttle input in a dynamic enough way? It seems to just be a speed dependant whistle, but actual gearbox whine changes greatly when you lift the throttle, it doesn't just change pitch.
How big is U34? I ask because I have U32 to take home, and U33 is only 1 mb, which would take a while on dialup, but not unbearable. I have U33 in exe form anyways from someone here. Would someone be willing to upload a zip/exe for U34 that I could download and take home with me? I don't want to be stuck off the computer for 2 hours as that's all the time I really have anyways.

Thx!
Quote from sinbad :Yep that is as raucous and excessive as it gets, but don't you think the current whine is a bit tame and that it doesn't respond to throttle input in a dynamic enough way? It seems to just be a speed dependant whistle, but actual gearbox whine changes greatly when you lift the throttle, it doesn't just change pitch.

It doesn't really depend on how much torque is being send through the gearbox. Rather wether it is in power or coast mode. So while going downhill you can put 10% gas on and it's almost silent, you only hear the diff, final drive and the engine (which is the loudest by far). But at 12% gas the gearbox is suddenly very loud.
(Experience from a stripped car without all the carpets and sound dampening materials. Car was a trans-axle, so the gearbox was only covered by a thin sheet of metal.)

How complex is the gearsound simulation? Does it have several parts? I didn't try out clutching and declutching while coasting downhill, but in real cars there are several soundsources involved.
(neutral: No noticableable sound, only final drive, engine to loud to hear that
gear engaged, clutch engaged: synchonized cogs produce sound
gear engaged, clutch disengaged, no throttle: sound increases, gearbox is coasting
gear engaged, clutch disengaged, more gas: sound gets loud, gearbox in power mode)

* I have absolutely no clue wether I used the terms coasting and power correctly. But I should have managed to make myself understandable.

@mrodgers: U33 to U34 was 1.1 mb, if I remember correctly.

Vain
Quote from Scawen :FIX : Excessive acceleration view shift in fast cars

im not entirely sure but i think it might cause some issues for me
with that fix the cockpit vibrates a lot more which causes motion sickness escpecially noticeable on the rac with that bar directly in your view
anybody else whos got that problem ?
Quote from mrodgers :How big is U34? I ask because I have U32 to take home, and U33 is only 1 mb, which would take a while on dialup, but not unbearable. I have U33 in exe form anyways from someone here. Would someone be willing to upload a zip/exe for U34 that I could download and take home with me? I don't want to be stuck off the computer for 2 hours as that's all the time I really have anyways.

Thx!

When you install U32, U33 and U34 come in using the auto update. They were about 1.1mb each.
I'm sure Florian will have a mirror for a direct link to the U34 exe soon.

Is it just a one off that LFS downloads U33 AND U34 if you're on U32 (I upgraded my work copy of LFS today, and it did both, rather than the most recent one only). Dialup users and people with limited bandwidth might prefer to download the fewest updates possible (e.g. jump from U32 to U34).

But this might have been a one off because of the content of the test patches.
regarding auto update system.

I get the window "A new update is available", but the mirror links fail to load and it says "did not get update information". Next time I tried, it worked.
gearbox wine is dependant on drivability of the car for instance
I own a mazda rx7, modified, suspension clucth light flywheel
engine work, and a lsd diff MASSIVE exhaust twin 3 inch some ppl say illepall
and I noticed I had drivability issues at low speed, it would jerk jutter and whatnot
I got sick of it cause i couldnt get out of my drivway withuout a sccccccccraaatch noise, so i went smaller diameter pipes twin 2 1/2 and this improved the drivability, the gearbox doesnt clunk and jerk anymore at low rpm,lower mid range torque was improved . so moral is depends on drivabiltiy, in lfs no cars are hard to drive in a way the jerk klunk and run like shit below certain rpm(which id love to have as a feature) atm its just more like the engine wont rev if ur in a 2 higher gear
I didn't really understand that. I got that you've riced your RX-7 to reduce what little torque it has already (totally useless on the road, but not bad on the track as long as you LOVE changing gear). But you only mentioned gear whine (which you spelt wrong anyway) in the first line.

Did changing the pipes effect the gearbox whine? You forgot to mention. I suspect the drivability makes little difference to the whine, apart from the fact you'll be putting more stutters into the 'box, but the noise/load/rpm will be the same. The noise the gearbox makes is surely related to the load/rpm rather than the size of your exhaust pipes.
im referring to klunk and noise changing when backing off through the gearbox, perhaps I didnt explain more clearly,
and its no ricer, its just good everything except no bodykit and other ricer additions like no gauges etc etc and no nawzz man , a true performance car,

anyway after changing pipe size it improved the drivability of the engine reducing the on off on off wine in the box it stayed more constant
my spelling sux yes its 3am here tired
Well I have heard of cars having too large of exhausts. Mainly in NA'd cars due to not enough back pressure at the exhaust valves. I think this can cause stuttering at lower RPM. Which would cause all sorts of wierd noises.

Dual 3 inch sounds way too much for that little engine! Jeez my brothers Hemi only has 2.5inch. My fathers 6.0 or 6.1 in his Chevy only has 2.5 also. 3 inch would be great at RPM but would give you problems low RPM I would think.
now that my exams are over, i was more then happy to play lfs again
while testing U34 i noticed a couple of things that could be done better or so
shifting sound a bit less loud or a different 1 cuz it sounds too... lonely

thats about it

ty
Quote from axus :If I understand you correctly (ie. you want a magical slider that increases the volume with speed, I think), that would go against just about everything LFS stands for. I can't understand why you would want to do this - engines don't sound louder at 6000rpm in 6th gear than at 6000rpm in 3rd gear.

Why do you think you know more than me about "everything LFS stands for"?

Do a simple test: at midnight or later go to garage and start your car. The neighborhood won't complaint.

Then start accelarating you car at 3000 rpm. Maybe someone in the house in front of you get out the bed and go to the window see what is happening.

But, not enough, you are not happy, down you gas pedal to the metal and wait for 10 minutes, and probably the people from downstreet will come to your house to hit you, or maybe they just call the police.

If you never realize that sounds increase with the rotation, so your ears are dirty.
If a neighbour gets out of bed because you rev to 3000 rpm, you need to get rid of the shitty car and/or fartcan.
Quote from Speed Soro :Why do you think you know more than me about "everything LFS stands for"?

Do a simple test: at midnight or later go to garage and start your car. The neighborhood won't complaint.

Then start accelarating you car at 3000 rpm. Maybe someone in the house in front of you get out the bed and go to the window see what is happening.

But, not enough, you are not happy, down you gas pedal to the metal and wait for 10 minutes, and probably the people from downstreet will come to your house to hit you, or maybe they just call the police.

If you never realize that sounds increase with the rotation, so your ears are dirty.

I don't think I know what you're saying but I know you don't know what I'm saying.

EDIT: Why do you want a slider for it anyway, if its an inaccuracy in the sound? I can hear clear frequency and volume changes with RPM, can't you? What you're saying makes it sound like you want the sound volume to be variable with the speed of the car. I'm saying, volume at 40kph of the engine should be the same as that at 160kph, if the car's rpms match at those speeds despite the different gears.
Quote from Speed Soro :Do a simple test: at midnight or later go to garage and start your car. The neighborhood won't complaint.

Now that I understood what is your request, I must say its the most silliest request of all time.
This thread is closed

OLD test patch thread, up to U35
(851 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG