The online racing simulator
Well here goes. As previously mentioned, the sounds are wrong " for the high powered cars " The BF1 has taken the biggest nose dive of all. The GTR cars, sound like a ...cannot explain what. The only cars, and this is for me, that sound ok, is the XFR and the FOX. the FOX has slightly more gear whine than that is normal, but its there.

Brake Squeal? surely this would of been the easiest to implement, where's that? That would off been a major asset if added.

OK I am no programmer, nor sound expert or anything else but an MCSE and gamer, but for me, CSR does way more for my gaming fun that patch U32( for sound ) .

I know CSR uses pre-recorded sounds from other game, and if you up the timing on the programe, it works in time with LFS, but maybe its time for LFS to look in this direction? There is plenty of royalty free sounds out there to play with?

For me, dissapointed
Quote from Fordman :
Brake Squeal? surely this would of been the easiest to implement, where's that? That would off been a major asset if added.

Since brake heat cannot be implemented in a compatible patch, it probably isn't the right time because I would bet my left nut it will be connected to it.
Quote from BlackMan :.

BF1 - TC sounds so funny and so weird that after 50meters i couldnt drive longer

I agree the BF1 is as unplayable as racing with no sound at all.
Oh yes, forgot to say - there still isn't a sound when you run over a kerb

(Ok, this is kind of an inside joke )
mmmm I want to believe that I´m on 15/dec/06 and the LFS car sound are well. but...

is already u32 and the sounds just...mmm...

come on! the gtr cars (XRR, FXR, FZR) have 365 KW of power they would sound like a electric storm or a prey overturning a sound that you think that the car is on the verge of breaking.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Was this done with all other sounds (wind etc) turned as low as possible and the engine sound all the way up?

As said, I didn't make the sounds, I just opened the previously posted FZ50 vs 911 GT3.mp3 in audacity and took screenshots of section that had approximately the same speed.
But yes, the FZ5 shot was with wind sounds, just as the GT3 shot (obviously, duh).
The situation was when accelerating at velocity of some 80km/h (rough estimate, might be wrong by 50%!), so tyre sounds aren't as much of an influence as when accelerating at 30km/h, while wind isn't yet too loud.

Vain
I like This Patch-but i think some changes should be optional - like the sounds - i hate em! lol also i dont like the fact theyve taken the map away from the autocross as people still use it id like to have that as my request
thats all
Oh yes, forgot to ask - are the gear whine sounds generated on-the-fly, or are they sampled?
I like most of the sounds,especially MRT and FOX are soo great...Okay,BF1 is not great at all...Theres still lots of potential there,but i really have to agree that some cars sound almost the same....still big thumbs up
if its sampled, i cant find the samples!
I was bit surprised that Scawen has been working on the sounds in the first place. That is really great. This kind of hints that we could expect to see bigger sound improvements in the next in-compatible patch, no?

As said 10+n times, BF1 was really horrible. Previously it was good, sounded like a bee but at least it was totally different to other cars. On the other hand LX6 was great, though it was probably previously the best sounding too, now the engine tone is really spot on.

With gear shift sounds I wasn't impressed at all... mostly because I've already used to them with CSR. It needs to be louder and noisier. Gear whine sound like a jet engine, but definately better than no gear whine at all.

If I was Scawen I'd get in contact with Todd Wasson and ask how he implemented these. Check these out, according to Todd these are fully generated. In my opinion sounds better than LFS - sounds also very synthetic but these also has a bit of that noisy rrooooaaarrr feel that LFS competely lacks.

http://www.performancesimulations.com/files/EngineWave13.wav
http://www.performancesimulations.com/files/EngineSim1.wav

Quote from Gimpster :Netcar and RBR/DR have nice take on the synthetic engine sound system.

RBR is sampled, just a bit differently than most of the sampled engines. Also DR is sampled, and it is very basic system. Though haven't played it in couple of months... but I guess that part hasn't been changed.
Why would the gear sounds be sampled?
I like the sounds...

But I cant listen the skid sounds...
Hi, what is this new "lfs_restart.exe" that came up after the upgrade?
It's true that the cars sound more similar than in previous patches and the BF1 is obviously bugged, but it's a good, strong step in the right direction (I love the sound of the XFR and the FOX) and it is very much an improvement (anybody who denies that should have his ears checked), but with much room for improvement still... I love the turbo-sound and how the sounds inside the car differ from the outside... Anyway, I'm confident that those issues pointed out here will be adressed in the future and that we have taken another step towards LfS' goal... I for one wouldn't mind sending Scawen in his christmal holidays - the big job is done, the fine tuning can wait till next year. Happy holidays!
Quote from deggis :If I was Scawen I get in contact with Todd Wasson and ask how he implemented these. Check these out, according to Todd these are fully generated. In my opinion sounds better than LFS - sounds also very synthetic but these also has a bit of that noisy rrooooaaarrr feel that LFS competely lacks.

Actually, I had the pleasure of hearing some of his more recent sound stuff and it was much less synthetic sounding.
Quote from deggis :I was bit surprised that Scawen has been working on the sounds in the first place. That is really great. This kind of hints that we could expect to see bigger sound improvements in the next in-compatible patch, no?

As said 10+n times, BF1 was really horrible. Previously it was good, sounded like a bee but at least it was totally different to other cars. On the other hand LX6 was great, though it was probably previously the best sounding too, now the engine tone is really spot on.

With gear shift sounds I wasn't impressed at all... mostly because I've already used to them with CSR. It needs to be louder and noisier. Gear whine sound like a jet engine, but definately better than no gear whine at all.

If I was Scawen I'd get in contact with Todd Wasson and ask how he implemented these. Check these out, according to Todd these are fully generated. In my opinion sounds better than LFS - sounds also very synthetic but these also has a bit of that noisy rrooooaaarrr feel that LFS competely lacks.

http://www.performancesimulations.com/files/EngineWave13.wav
http://www.performancesimulations.com/files/EngineSim1.wav

RBR is sampled, just a bit differently than most of the sampled engines. Also DR is sampled, and it is very basic system. Though haven't played it in couple of months... but I guess that part hasn't been changed.

Those I like, they have the agressive (almost hammering) cam sound and its poppy at idle......I would like to have more extreme sounds that sound synthetic, over realistic sounds that sound wimpy...but that's just me
- So little feeling, sounds like the engines in a glass jar, Back to U30 for me
Purely to come back with some more positive feedback, I would like to say that the external sounds are a great improvement IMO.

I just joined an XF/XR server, and as soon as I joined I thought that it sounded pretty realistic for cars of that type. Once the revs are up to racing speed I can't really fault the external sound - bar an exhaust note. Low revs are a tad strange sounding, but I can't put my finger on it.

The difference between the XF & XR was also easily noticable, and I disagree with those who say all the cars now sound the same. I think this has more to do with people not being used to the new system.

The external view sound is obviously the same engine noise as in-cockpit, but with the cockpit noises removed. Therefore my conclusion is that too much emphasis/volume has been put on the effect noises rather than engine noise.

edit: enginewave13.wav sounds awesome
the other one is a bit funky.
Erm.. nice work there with the new bits and pieces.. But please, whats the thinking behind the GTR-esk Sounds for the Formula cars.. The poor fox..

Bf1 is almost unchanged, thankfully, F08 is.. ok.. but seriously..

If I want sound like that for those cars, I can play GTR.. or use the third-party sound mod. No disrespect intended, but please.. Prefered LFS's non (or not so) sampled sounds.

My first negative post about changes to lfs..
Just noticed, we seem to have a starter sound now too
Quote from mrbogeyman :The external view sound is obviously the same engine noise as in-cockpit, but with the cockpit noises removed. Therefore my conclusion is that too much emphasis/volume has been put on the effect noises rather than engine noise.

Or, there are too few effects/cockpit noises. If you listen to a real onboard video you can hear all kinds of stuff going on, which you can't in LFS. Also, the sounds lack treble. Everything seems to be muffled, even though that's not the case IRL. If there's some high frequency noises added throughout the resulting samples, the sounds will be so much better.

My verdict: The sounds are ok, but they need a whole lot more artifacts per cycle in the higher frequencies to make them sound authentic.
I agree with the previous post, I dont like the new sounds either, they are WAY too muffled, unlike the previous versions', very clear and lots of treble. I can't even hear the tyre scrub noise properly...

All the engine sounds are very similar, boring! But other little upgrades like the menu system and fonts etc is great.
This thread is closed

OLD test patch thread, up to U35
(851 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG