The online racing simulator
Quote from Hurts2bStock :good example of how painfullly loud a race car is from inside a ferrari http://video.google.com/videop ... q=ferrari+f50gt&hl=en

After that video, I can double my last post and say that LFS really really needs an exhaust sound. Metally, raspy kind of thing, the sounds are too clean and pretty for cars and like Orion said not violent enough, BWAARARARRROOOIIIIUMBANG is what we would like to hear
Quote from Hurts2bStock :good example of how painfullly loud a race car is from inside a ferrari 355http://video.google.com/vid ... q=ferrari+f50gt&hl=en

yeah but thats already in u32, if u sit cockpit u listen more noize of turbo and wind than screaming engine/muffler. if u are behind car u listen more vroom (not THAT MUCH more but its more )

dunno if mentioned already, rpms sounds (still?) weird, 3000rpm in almost every car sound like 900-1100 rpm and 6000-8000 rpm sounds like 3000 rpm, dunno if i am wrong, what u think?
#128 - PSX
First of all, I'd like to say that I'm really glad the sound is being worked on now - it's great to see improvement

Second - in many situations (generally, low RPM), every car seems much more realistic for me....

Third - however... at high RPMs, it seems the reverb is drowning out the delicious rasp I would love to hear from cars in LFS

please listen through this comparison file I bashed together and see what you reckon: http://lfs.psx9.co.uk/FZ50_vs_911_GT3.mp3 - (thats FZ50GTR being recorded)

Both cars have 3.5L flat 6 engines. I suspect the real 911 GT3 may have slightly more power than the LFS version (haven't found specs from the videos I clipped)

Listen for sound over 5000rpm - LFS does seem to saturate this area with reverberations that make the sound hollow, as if the car is being run in a hallway (echo has been set to 1 in-game)

Also - gear whine is present from 1st gear in the FZ50 GTR, whereas I only ever seem to be able to pick it up at high speeds from the real thing (3rd gear and faster). I could be wrong here, but perhaps the volume should be lower initially?

I do feel the heart of the sound being generated now is spot on - but it's as if I am a molecule inside the engine block, rather than a bystander listening to the rasp of an exhaust as well as the thrum of the motor itself?

Please take this criticism constructively, I am only longing like everyone else for delicious sound in LFS

PSX
YAY! A Chanukah present from the devs!
HEY i had to unlock again , Scawen can you pleas give me an extra unlock ?
Quote from R1K89 :HEY i had to unlock again , Scawen can you pleas give me an extra unlock ?

You already got one. Everyone did.
Quote from MoonForce :
dunno if mentioned already, rpms sounds (still?) weird, 3000rpm in almost every car sound like 900-1100 rpm and 6000-8000 rpm sounds like 3000 rpm, dunno if i am wrong, what u think?

I agree, perhaps if a layer of higher pitched engine noise faded in at 4 or 5000 rpm ......also I need to hear the cam popping at idle, and a rough idle, race cars like the xrr would have a crazy sounding set of cams.
Quote from R1K89 :HEY i had to unlock again , Scawen can you pleas give me an extra unlock ?

write them an e-mail
err, we all did, why do you need another? Do not use this thread for unloack requests please, it is a U32 patch thread.
I will not get a chance to test this until I get home tomarrow night but as for gear whine in a street car, my miata has audible gear whine above 50mph and it does have a rymthic harmonic pulsing at steady RPMs opperating on a 4-5 second cycle. I probaly hear it more being that it a close ratio trans in an open top car will little sound damping material.

Netcar and RBR/DR have nice take on the synthetic engine sound system. Its a multi-layered setup where som layers add new sounds and some alter the sound. Idealy it woudl be somthign like this: The begining sound is just the moment of detonation in the cylinder, add to this valve/cam noises, belt noise and intake noise and then pass it through a filter/amplifier based on load contidions and a second filter/resonator for the exhaust. Transmission whine, tire humm, wind noise, and other sounds are seperate related but non-blended sounds.

But thats in an ideal world.

Read back

Quote from Scawen :I've added an unlock for all licensed racers now. That means, everyone has at least one unlock spare.

TBH I don't really like the new sounds. Maybe a bit of what we are now so used to, but for me they are more muffled, less treble and sound like I've put my PC speakers in a cardboard box in the hall.
This carsound is a bad joke!! illepallillepallillepall Now I definately stay on GTL!!

Best wishes for the future!! LFS can suck my balls!!!!!!!!!!!

You recieved an extra unlock. Everyone did.

@Sounds: I think I got the right words for it:
LFS dampens the "wrrrrrrrooom" away to a "mmmmmmmmuummmmmummmummmm". I wouldn't be surprised if LFS's engine sounds looked pretty much like a simple sine-wave.

By the way the best sounding car I ever heard in my life was at the Nurby in the pits of the GP track (I was allowed as a racing team member), and there was an old Jaguar V8 standing there *without a muffler*. There was basically nothing between me and the spark plug except 5 meters of air. It was absolutely georgeous. I have never heard such a great sound in my life.
It was unbearably loud, but I didn't want to miss anything of it. I would rather have turned deaf. It would've been worth it.
When that monster blew past the pit-straight it was - well, that's where words stop being able to describe how good something is.

Vain
Quote from Brainblaster666 :This carsound is a bad joke!! illepallillepallillepall Now I definately stay on GTL!!

Way to be a smart lip, on the internet were unlike real life you walk away with out a broken nose
Quote :I wouldn't be surprised if LFS's engine sounds looked pretty much like a simple sine-wave.

I would, they are a mile away from a simple sine wave, this is a ridiculous comment, but I'm still not keen on them.
Quote from Brainblaster666 :This carsound is a bad joke!! illepallillepallillepall Now I definately stay on GTL!!

ROFL. You stay there, mate. With that attitude I don't think we want you near LFS. Did you care to note that this is a TEST patch and these are probably not Patch V sounds?

Have fun driving with those unreal "physics" and those canned sounds that tell you about as much as a hooker tells you about her life.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Have fun driving with those unreal "physics" and those canned sounds that tell you about as much as a hooker tells you about her life.

But these sounds do suck as much as the previous ones TBH - the FO8 is now a 3 litre hairdryer.

TEST Patch U32... I like the sounds better then the earlier TEST patches.
Converting RAW to WAV I used a Alive MP3 Wav converter.. Which uses RAW aswell.. But the sound has gone high pitched.. Any ideas?
I also noticed that the "sliding" sounds is very weak and it doesn´t look like changing, if I adjust the sound setting.

The little map of the track, doesn´t apear on the right side of the screen, when I try to select it.
I've only listened to one of my replays quickly, but the sounds are much more 'authentic' now. The XFG used to sound horrible, now it sounds like a Type-R off NFS, as in 'WAAaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh, Whoooooaaaaaaa'! Great improvements, oh almighty ones...
This thread is closed

OLD test patch thread, up to U35
(851 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG