The online racing simulator
Tiny translation request
In German it is more common to write "on/off" instead of "yes/no" in option screens. Would it be possible to add two new strings for the yes/no buttons so they aren't shared with 3a_small_no/yes (used e.g. in the exit message) anymore?

P.s. I'd like to see the sky in the mirrors as well, is it hard to make this option "off, main, + mirrors" like the ones above?
A minor point and one that may also have existed before:
- View a replay
- Press P to pause
- Restart replay
- The replay is still paused, but the "PAUSED" message is absent

For a moment I thought LFS had locked up, but then I remembered I had to press P again.
The Dedi server patch U30 seems to have a bug.
After a few hours the command window stops displaying any text or commands typed into it and hence it needs to be restarted to change tracks or cars. It will dusplay the F keys msg but nothing else. This has happened twice now the Server is running on XP Pro. I hope this helps track down the bug
#29 - axus
Just a little semi-bug report thing, not related to the patch. The calibration per axis buttons in the controls menu don't disable calibration lock when you click them like the master "Reaclibrate Axes" button. It probably would be nice if they did. I got slightly fustrated until I figured out why it was doing that.
U30 & Shift + G
I have an annoyance with the Shift + G function.
If I'm in sequential mode and press the command to switch to automated gears it changes to shifter first, but in doing so it switches to neutral therefore causing me to lose power to the drivetrain. Hitting the command again puts it into auto, but then you need to manually put it into gear. What then happens - at high speed - is that the car wheels want to slow down causing the back to spin, because you shift into 1st gear. Eventually the gears become automated, but it would be best if the gear you were in automatically stays there when you switch to shifter. I've only tested this phenomenon in the FZ50.

Sorry if it's already been posted, but looking at the time you might understand why I cba searching through the forum to see if this was mentioned before.
Quote from Scawen :Anyway, when the zonealarm window pops up, there is nothing LFS can do about it, that window has stopped LFS from running until you answer zonealarm.

Have you tried attempting the first connect from another thread? I guess the firewall should cause only that thread to freeze, which would be easy to detect from the main thread and then minimize/windowize(is that a word?) the game... I dont have such firewalls peronally though so it might not work at all.
U30.

I capture LFS ingame messages via insim's MsgOutPack. The problem is that LFS system messages don't contain proper codepage flag in the beginning of a message, while player messages are ok.
Usage of localized lfs version leads to problems. For example, captured cyrillic text is translated as latin (I assume ^L is default message codepage), what leads to completely unreadable text.

Sample mesages received via insim, the same russian lfs translation:

1. Nikolai^L вышел из боксов (LX4)<br>
2. ^L^JС^Gффб RUS^L присоединился к сессии<br>
3. Не могу загрузить скин : FZR_AttaMatrix<br>
4. smith : ^L^Cмне нужно, чтобы вы проехали пару боевых кругов<br>

Lines 1,2,3 are lfs system messages (pit out, joined session and can't load skin) and specified codepage is ^L, while it should be ^C.
Line 4 is a cyrillic player message with proper codepage flag.

Evasive solution of the problem in case of russian translation is adding ^C to the beginning of every string in russian.txt, but it isnlt quite beautiful.
Quote from Skyline_Drifter_ :Hello;

I don't konw if this is a bug or not, but when I was in an autocross server, in the session, I changed names to notify people that I wa away from my keyboard, when I got back and changed back to my normal name, I didn't get skidmarks until I pit/unpitted, just letting you know because it happens everytime I do it.

I've tried in single player and multiplayer mode, but could not reproduce this bug.
Quote from Tweaker :Was using this earlier this evening Scawen and I realized that it doesn't exactly have a repeat rate for if you set it to "left" or "right" for example, like when you are in the F11 menu or F12 pit menu and trying to change options. I found this /press function to be useful for changing the menu options with a pov hat, but it is 1 press each time to change something. Have I missed something, and is there some way to make it repeat? Because someone online said they got it working illepall (I'd imagine if there was a repeated press, it would be too easy for someone to spam messages, but if the arrow keys were only able to be repeated, that would be ok)... Is there some way of doing this?

Yes, instead of assigning "/press right" to the key, you could make a script (rrr.lfs) with "/press right" repeated on a few lines.
Then assign "/run rrr" or "//rrr" to the key, so the key or controller button runs the script.
Quote from Defi :Hello,

i have this problem in U19 and now on U20 too. (i don't know it was in U self too.. because i download all the time the new testpatch..)

I have 2 Nicks saved in LFS.

For Example:
My Nick is ":: Defender Bk"
and a other is "Newbie"
(Without " )

When i try it to change from Newbie back to the :: Defender Bk nick, then LFS say it doesnt goes with the message "Kann Nicknamen nicht teilen".(German Language.. lycos translation: nickname cannot divide)

But, when i'm connectet to a Server, then i can change it...

(Tryed the Search with divide and found nothing.. but i don't know how good the lycos translation is..)

I can't seem to reproduce this. Does it happen every time? Is this in game, in a car, as a spectator, in the game setup screen, the main entry screen?

To fix it I guess we'll need all the info about how to reproduce this, step by step.
I hope I am not too late for this future request (or that it has been mentioned already; I couldnt find it anyway).

It is possible to let LFS join a server automatically by adding /join=[servername] to the shortcut (or using a cfg file). There is no command however to join a certain server from ingame. The reason I request this is to be able to disconnect and reconnect from a certain server, to start a new replayfile. There is a /leave command, but no /join_server command. At the moment I would have to use /exit and then use a cron job or something to start LFS using /join=[servername], but then LFS will have to load the textures again which is taking a lot of time.
#37 - Woz
Using U30 and in the viw settings under the area that holds settings per car the wheel display settings are not remembered. Either the option for "wheel+hands/wheel/none" is in the wrong area or the setting is not being saved.

I notice this a lot as I only display the wheel in cars that display info on the wheel otherwise I hide it. At the mo it means going into settings and manually changing each time.
Quote from Scawen :As it happens, I have done a little work on the view options already for the next patch, and there was an old bug / request about the head G shift being too much at some times in the powerful cars - so it was a good time to add this option. Thank you, it's now done in my version (you can switch it off in any custom camera).

Being on this topic.
Same or even more valuable will be an option to turn off the Steering look in the same circumstances. Because now when you are watching replays you have to turn off Steereng look, to be able to rotate the camera.
I'm not too sure how on topic this request is, (it's to do with views and stuff) - but hey, it's remotely nearer to the topic than the settings problem.

Please could we have a /lookat command to save tabbing through people or bringing up the connections screen (both of which are ugly when using FRAPS). Move it if you guys think it isn't on topic enough, but it's half on topic and half isn't.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :additional to duke_toasters idea, maybe a /lookat 1 would look at the leader?

Yes, have numbers to go to that position, A go to the server admin if there is only one on track, and the licence name go to that guy.
#41 - robt
Not 100% sure if it is a bug or just something not implemented, but as its to do with sound i was guessing its either to do with the new sound "system" on U30 or i guess could be placed in easy (i await getting told off for saying that) but.....When in 1st gear 2nd gear etc etc and you spin the wheels you hear the revs rise and the sound of the wheels spinning. If you try the same in reverse gear, there is no wheel spin sound, just the sound of the revs. I found this rather strange, is it a bug? Or just something thats not completed yet? I cant really remember if it happened pre-U30, but i thought it might be worth adding as the sound has been tweaked recently.
I'd appreciate very much a pause for 2-3 secods when starting a practice session with AI-s. The way it happens now, in the very first moments, CPU is occupied loading all the graphics stuff, while the race is already started. Physics engine works, and consequently AI-s ram into your back when you still wait the PC to unlag.
Quote from Andy S2K :i have u30 patch. I download drift setting on inferno home page. I put them in the settign folder, nut when i enter the game and go to the car i don't see any settings!! why? it's a partch proiblem or i put the settings in the wrong folder?

If the official car name has a space in it, I have been seeing that space replaced with an "_". If that is the case, the game won't recognize the set as a valid set.

For example "Formula V8_BL1_Set.set" will download as "Formula_V8_BL1_Set.set" if you use the Open option in the download dialog box.

I do not know if this is an issue with the site you are downloading from, or if it is an LFS issue. I have seen it happen multiple times when using the Team Inferno setup field.
#44 - SamH
We've had our first DEDI U30 crash. OS is Windows Server2003. Unfortunately, we didn't have Dr Watson running at the time. We've since resolved that, and we'll have more information next time (if there is one). In the meantime, we only have the following:-
Reporting queued error: faulting application LFS.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module LFS.exe, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x0004c4dd.
Since U30 LFS is faltering during SKIN download and sometimes when somebody does join session.
Minor UI inconsistency:

In the replay selection screen, to return to the main menu you must click "Cancel". In similar screens (multiplayer, single player, hotlapping) this button is named "Back".
U30 crash whilst driving XRT on autocross

Running ghost mod at that time

Sry I dunno if its my comp or the game or what it is.
Attached images
crash U30.JPG
Possible sound problem?
Installed this patch (U30) a couple of days ago and have a small query/pointer to make.

When screen is loaded (On-line 22 cars, Conedodgers ASNational GTR league) going into a hairpin, say, then it sometimes makes the sound mute. This is the whole system (Audio Properties) gets a check in the Mute All box.

Doesn't do it without the patch. Doesn't do it in any other configuration of LFS. I also run LFS PitSpotter v1.1b but it mutes the sound whether I run Spotter or not.

I run an Athlon 1.4 and a Radeon 9550 card with 512 M system Ram and 256 M Video Ram. (Old system for an old man ... it doesn't keep up properly but works well enough for now)

Gotta say, the update makes track selection a breeze and it's nice to see 'proper' pointers to cars on track.
I know this should be posted in the improvement suggestions thread, but I think it is so easy to implement, that it could be done in 3 minutes. And I really would like to have this in the next test patch.

Whenever I /unban someone (or /ban while the racer is absent), could there be a system message like "racerxyz successfully (un)banned" or "no racerxyz in ban list" if the racer is already unbanned?

Thx.
A proposal: if in the car select screen, car codes are shown near their names, why not write track codes the same way?
This thread is closed

OLD test patch thread, up to U35
(851 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG