The online racing simulator
Quote from danowat :the TC will never produce more air than the engine can handle,

That's what i meant... completely wrong!
Quote from jibber :I dunno if i got some people wrong in here... but i had a 944 turbo wich uses a wastegate. And it is actually there because a turbo will always produce a lot more boost than an engine can handle if you don't blow of the pressure that is too much.

Some wastegates are controlled by a spring in the wastegate itself, some are controlled via electronics. The 944 turbo controls the wastegate via its KLR (control unit for "turbo related functions"). There's a certain ammount of pressure and if the turbo produces more pressure, the wastegate just opens and blows off the pressure that goes lets say above 14psi for example. It's basically to protect the engine.

This is prooved with the 944 turbo. There's a screw that acts as a "valve" in the airintake system. If you replace this screw with a normal one (you block the information about how much boost is running like this, so the KLR wont know (its a common test to see if your turbocharger is still working if the car produces not enough boost)). Now if you do this and your turbo is still fine, you will easily run pressures WAY above normal ones. And easily destroy your engine.

The wastegate is to blow off pressure that is too much, produced by the turbo (a turbo doesnt increase pressure "proportional", if you don't blow off pressure at some point it gets a lot more than the engine can handle).

I think this is way offtopic, but some people in here explained the wastegate completely wrong in my opinion.

Anyway, sorry for the offtopic...

I will open a thread in general discussion about this, ok?
If you want to discuss this further... why not...
What was the first patch that allowed us to see the S1 servers?
Quote from jibber :That's what i meant... completely wrong!

Yeah, it's worded wrong, the TC (including wastegate) will never produce more air than the engine can handle.

As for the LX6 sounding like a V-twin, yup, sounds EXACTLY like a V-twin, sounds EXACTLY like my Aprilia
Quote from tristancliffe :Good idea. Does the LX4 sound like the LX6 now, or are there still subtle differences using the same file in different cars? In which case, maybe someone should try some combinations to see what improves what!

The sound is pretty much the same, I think - only different due to the different acceleration of engine revs.

EDIT: For LX4-like sounds, "locosts" are worth looking up (coming from Low cost lotus 7 replica) as they are essentially the same thing. For example: http://video.google.com/videop ... 145254570563&q=locost
Quote from danowat :Yeah, it's worded wrong, the TC (including wastegate) will never produce more air than the engine can handle.

Now it makes sense!

PS: Found this on wikipedia...

"A "divorced" wastegate dumps the gases directly into the atmosphere, instead of returning it with the rest of an engine's exhaust. This is done to prevent turbulence to the exhaust flow and reduce total back pressure in the exhaust system. Divorced wastegate dumper pipes are commonly referred to as "screamer pipes" due to the unmuffled waste exhaust gasses and the associated loud noises they produce."

Therefor a wastegate would make noise... i can't tell if it was my wastegate, but i always thought my 944 turbo made such a noise... and i always thought it would be the wastegate...
The problem is, we are talking GENERALLY, wastegates are GENERALLY incorparated in the TC itself, they GENERALLY don't make a noise, blah blah.

We DON'T know, because they are fictional cars/engines, what systems the cars in LFS actually use, so most of this talk is a bit worthless untill we know exactly what the cars in LFS actually use.

It's clear the TC (forced induction........hmmm..........superchargers) system does need some work, but I am sure that will come in time.
I just tried the U33 LX4 and it sounds accurately 4-cylinderish enough (it kicks ass I think), besides missing the raspiness that the Locost in the vid axus linked has.
The FZ5 prior to U32 used to sound nearly perfect up to 3k rpm, was very good up to 5k rpm, and beyond that I think U32/33 and U are evenly matched, although I don't think the U32/33 strong potatoness (how predominant it is in the overall sound) is accurate for a (porsche) flat-6.
GT3 @ Nurb: you can hear what I mean when he revs up out from the first cone chicanes at the beginning of the video.
I actually can't think of a 1.8l straight six offhand, that would sound like an LX6, even in another non-louts 7 car. And I can't find a matching lotus replica or caterham. Perhaps the closest would be a BMW 320i E36 - I think those are pretty common in Lotus 7's, after some tuning... any ideas?
hmmmm, I like the update system
-- After U33 ---
We still need more control over the LEVELS of ALL the different sounds.. Due to different hardware (Sound cards mainly, speakers too though) some sounds do NOT come through at all or so very quiet that you cannot hear them.

When listening to other people's recordings it is blatantly obvious that there are huge differences in the volume levels of all the different sounds form one persons' PC to the next.

Some people have purely software sound, others have sound cards with DSPs that produce very different end results.

If there is a way to do it.. LET US CONTROL the sounds more completely.. Unless you can test on every soundcard and configuration known to man, you must relinquish the control to the end user, otherwise most people are going to have very unsatisfactory results as clearly displayed in this thread.

There is no performance advantage in hard locking the volume levels, there's no advantage one way or the other, so I can't see a reason why the levels of the sounds need to be hard locked and unchangeable. if it is just for the "realism" of the sound, well then the sounds better be a whole lot more accurate, and even if they were, the problem above negates that accuracy. In that case, maybe there could be one sound setting labeled "realistic" that is locked down like it is now (even in U33), if people want "true" "realistic" "muffled" sound levels, and then have another setting where you completely open up control of the individual levels to the end user..

I am talking about the kind of control that lets me raise the volume of the the tire skid sound to the loudest thing there is, and lower the volume of everything else so that all I ever hear is the tire skid sounds.. The same for the gear whine, the BOV sound, the Turbo sound, all of them.. Make it so we can fine tune it, without such restrictive limits. All that does is make is sound horrible on our particular systems (because of the locked down volume level adjustment) without the ability to "fix" it.

Oh BTW--
[B] WASTEGATE Turbos[/B], by their very nature, tend to spin faster and faster as long as exhaust flows through them. If left unchecked, the turbo will accelerate to the point of overboosting. A wastegate regulates boost by keeping some of the exhaust flow from passing through the turbine once boost reaches a pre-set level. Usually, the wastegate is set at the maximum desired boost pressure—say, 8 PSI for a typical application—with a spring or a set screw. Wastegates are either internal, in which they are built into the snail housing of the turbo, or external, in which they are installed in between the exhaust manifold and the turbo. Smaller turbos typically incorporate an internal wastegate, while large turbos meant for high-volume applications usually require an external wastegate with larger bypass capabilities. If your turbo kit doesn't come with a separate wastegate, it's most likely an internal unit.

[B]BLOW-OFF VALVE [/B]A blow-off valve is a device that provides an escape for high-pressure intake air to vent back to the atmosphere when boost is not needed. At high RPMs, a turbo compresses an enormous amount of air, which continuously enters the engine via the throttle body. The compressed air has someplace to go as long as the throttle remains open, but once you lift your foot off the gas to shift or slow down and the throttle plate closes, the high-pressure air still needs to go somewhere. The blow-off valve vents the pressurized air to the atmosphere or back to the intake system. When operating under racing conditions without a blow-off valve, the intake air could back up into the turbo unit and cause a backspool, likely damaging the turbo internals.

U33 Dedicated Host
I've just released the U33 dedicated host.

This is a program for hosting only!
It is not a patch and is no use if you are not running a host!

Anyway in U33 dedicated host only, I've added some code which penalises players who use the "teleport to pits from start line" cheat to save themselves half a pitlane drive when they are on a host running the "must pit" rule.

http://www.liveforspeed.net/fi ... ?name=LFS_S2_DEDI_U33.zip
Just to make a point I'll post this once more. The cars sound _great_ below 5000rpm. They sound totally horrible above 5000 rpm. When you are redlining the engine it sounds totally wrong.
Quote from Scawen :I could try researching that myself but I'm too busy on some last fixes so it would help if you just explain exactly how the air rush can be linear with turbo speed and disregard intake speed.

This is not what I wanted to hear
Quote from Hyperactive :This is not what I wanted to hear

What did you want to hear? I guess you mean, you want me to work a lot more on the sounds before patch V?

But... I insist on a couple of weeks break for Christmas holiday, I can't just go on and on without a pause. Therefore Patch V with all its major imrovements must come out *this week*. So we're out of time for major sound updates, which would be risky.

I'll only be doing a few small tweaks to the sound. The idea is that we can work on it more in later versions. No-one ever said we will stop working on the sound. But it has to come to a stop for Patch V. At least it's safe to say that it's much better than the old sound.

Some will disagree but I think it's nice that you can drive without getting a headache. I think most agree that the U33 sounds are better than the old sounds. Please don't agree or disagree to this last sentence, that's what the whole thread is about!
It's quite enough if the framework for future sounds is set before you take a break...
Quote from axus :I actually can't think of a 1.8l straight six offhand, that would sound like an LX6, even in another non-louts 7 car. And I can't find a matching lotus replica or caterham. Perhaps the closest would be a BMW 320i E36 - I think those are pretty common in Lotus 7's, after some tuning... any ideas?

If you are looking to the design and the specs of the LXs, to closest Seven replicas you will find are westfields.

The LX4 is mostly like this: http://www.westfield-sportscars.de/20.htm
The LX6 counterpart is this: http://www.westfield-sportscars.de/25.htm

The displacement of both engines is a bit smaller in LFS.

BTW. I also found replicas with V8 and even V12 :-)
Whilst I agree that U33 sounds better than U its not that far ahead... whilst we who have been keeping up with this thread can see that the sound is getting better and know that more is to come in the nearish future, I'm quite worried about the reaction of people who don't know this. "Sound improvements!" on the main page will get so many people excited... most of those people will be pretty disappointed when they hear sounds that aren't much different from U33.

EDIT: Thanks, kallelix.
I'm stuck.

I've downloaded and installed the U32 patch, but now I don't when I open LFS I'm a demo racer when I should be S2 (fully paid etc).

Have I done something wrong? How do I fix this?

Thanks
just unlock it again, like you did when you first got S2, it wont cost you anything!
Quote from mouse-user321 :I'm stuck.

I've downloaded and installed the U32 patch, but now I don't when I open LFS I'm a demo racer when I should be S2 (fully paid etc).

Have I done something wrong? How do I fix this?

Thanks

There's been a change in the license system, fixing a bug. This leads to many people having to redo their unlock. Everyone got a free extra unlock because of this with the release of U32. So you'll just have to unlock LFS again.
i quite like the sounds now, got used to them, although the bf1 sounds REALLY too high pitched
It's better, but I still just think the sound is way too clean. There has to be some variation in sound apart from the rising pitch, determined by the rpm. The way the BF1 sounds from tickover to 10krpm (there seems to be a little pop around there, which is something at least) is just like someone's hitting the pitch-bend on a keyboard. Crackle it, make it dirtier, distort it a bit. Something to liven things up a tad.
I didn't know U32 had been released until last night, and I've not tried U33 yet, but here's my opinions on what I heard.

Definitely a big improvement over the "angry bee" sound of a lot of the engines. They do sound more meaty and of course the advantage is that they remain a useful part in judging what the car is up to.

Downside is some of them are just not nasty enough. I ran a few cars and although there was a lack of wind noise, most of the lower powered cars (LRF and below) sounded fine. But the more powerful ones don't growl the way I feel they should. I will see tonight what U33 (and however many other patches crazy Scawen releases today! ) does for that.

And if they want to get me to write some funky music to add to the updated audio, I'd be more than happy to oblige
-
(Breizh) DELETED by Breizh
This thread is closed

OLD test patch thread, up to U35
(851 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG