The online racing simulator
Quote from XGremlinX_pt :Now that I understood what is your request, I must say its the most silliest request of all time.

Why ? a car with higher revs is louder !!!
U35 Update
Some more improvements : U35 on the auto update system.

Changes :

New language included : Galician (Galego)
Language support : wider buttons at bottom left in some cases
Outside car custom view detection for sound (out of car rectangle)
Much easier to get to desired FOV using 5 and 6 zoom keys
Can't join race / leave pits for 12 seconds after green light (stops cheating)
Other cars sound volume increased by 10% - more immersive
V and flat engined cars exhaust pipe separation (stereo effect)
BF1 wind noise decreased / other minor adjustments
UFR sound improved : more race like
Small updates to all car sounds

You are a hard working guy
nice one,worked just fine,like it always does....but one thing that goes on my nerve is,that everytime i dl a new patch, the windowed mode when watching the server list is switched to on,is there a way not to do this?with these patches coming out everyday this can get quite annoying
I don't know if XF GTI car sound has been improved with U35... but after installing it.. XF GTI SOUNDS GREAAAT!!

It has an amazing sound near the shift point, it's telling 'next gear next gear'

Congrats!
IMO the MRT sounds like it has a lot more power than a 600cc engine should have.. and also FZ50 sound is a bit "muted".. other than that great job
galego? ehhe my neightbours!
ogrove seafood festival hurrah! (i always get sick...those oysters are a bitch)
nice, hope to see vigo, coruna, sanxenxo, compostela etc freaks on the track
Server's version
Scawen, can you add server's version?
Attached images
server version.jpg
one thing that confuses me a bit:

when you want to download a new patch, you get this green button named "start download" which when you click it only says "please select...". with this info you click on a download source and the patch downloads...

Imho this makes the "start download" button a bit useless...
Maybe it should be named "help" with a small text, explaining how the system works
I'm pretty sure U32 had the gear sounds as sound files in the snd/sound folder... did those just automatically vanish after installing U34?

Transmission whine is not going to get changed anymore? Racing gearboxes sounds kinda annoying but this jet engine wwwwwhhhhhh sound is simply wrong as already said many times. It's distracting and unappealing. Hopefully it gets removed from most of the road cars.

I'm also afraid how people will get disappointed after the patch V release if there is "sound improvements" in the first line of the readme... Like Dethred already came here and apparently had no idea that test patch is not incompatible patch and thus can't have physics improvements. Using term "slightly different engine sound" or something like that might prevent this... or writing a note in the readme: "if you're a casual simmer, you'll probably still hate the new sounds but you can always start using CSR".

Quote from Gimpster :The best system I have listend to is RBR habds down. There the engine is a living dynamic thing and damaging any little part will alter its power and sound in a realistic way.

But it's still sampled in RBR. As far as I've understood. Engine sound is coming from one base file which has different on and off throttle sounds with markers that the game knows when to play what. This is a bit different to usual (e.g. GTR2) sampled systems but it is not truly dynamic because the sound isn't created from the scratch on the fly.
Quote from three_jump :one thing that confuses me a bit:

when you want to download a new patch, you get this green button named "start download" which when you click it only says "please select...". with this info you click on a download source and the patch downloads...

Imho this makes the "start download" button a bit useless...
Maybe it should be named "help" with a small text, explaining how the system works

completly agree with that
Quote from S0ul :nice one,worked just fine,like it always does....but one thing that goes on my nerve is,that everytime i dl a new patch, the windowed mode when watching the server list is switched to on,is there a way not to do this?with these patches coming out everyday this can get quite annoying

I second that, I just got annoyed by it too. Especially when you use autoupdate, the update goes so much smoother and you think you can just continue where you left, but then my screen gets resized, takes some time and is quite annoying.
Quote from deggis :But it's still sampled in RBR. As far as I've understood. Engine sound is coming from one base file which has different on and off throttle sounds with markers that the game knows when to play what.

While I love the overall sound of RBR and love the game in general, the engine sounds are pretty useless when compared to LFS. It's very difficult to tell what the engine is doing beyond "I am pressing the pedal" and "I am not pressing the pedal".
Quote from sgt.flippy :I second that, I just got annoyed by it too. Especially when you use autoupdate, the update goes so much smoother and you think you can just continue where you left, but then my screen gets resized, takes some time and is quite annoying.

A reason for this could be firewalls... At least mine always comes up after installing a new patch when trying to get a server list... so as it works now you can't forget to update the rule
(and maybe stop some people to say "after installing the patch I can't connect to the master")
It's for compability issues, because some firewalls notice the changed exe and block internet access again, often in a way that causes problems when the blocked app is in fullscreen mode.

The best way to lessen the problem on your machine is running LFS in the same resolution as the desktop - then the Shift-F4 window mode switch only takes a quarter second or so, instead of waiting for the monitor to change resolution.
I like how the UFR sounds now, it has some raceish feel now.
But the whine, I like in the racecars, really adds up to the immersion, but please shouldn't it be covered with the engine and exhaust outside the car? When a FZR goes by a camera it sounds like a jet...fooooosh And the whine in roadcars doesn't feel that right, maybe just under heavy stress it should become clearly hearable?

But heyy, good work, you are really pushing hard with this Scawen

edit. Oh oh, can you tell what that exhaust separation on flat and V engines actually means and does?

....we need a V-engined road car btw
Quote from three_jump :A reason for this could be firewalls... At least mine always comes up after installing a new patch when trying to get a server list... so as it works now you can't forget to update the rule
(and maybe stop some people to say "after installing the patch I can't connect to the master")

I agree. But the main problem is FSAA goes off when windowed :_(
Actually I do play LFS in the same resolution as my desktop. But it still turns off a second and then goes back on to show the resized screen. I guess it's my ATI drivers, it also does this at boot because of the settings it needs to load, so I guess I have a few settings when I run stuff in full screen mode that need to refresh the screen to turn off...
Quote from Viper93 :Well I have heard of cars having too large of exhausts. Mainly in NA'd cars due to not enough back pressure at the exhaust valves. I think this can cause stuttering at lower RPM. Which would cause all sorts of wierd noises.

Dual 3 inch sounds way too much for that little engine! Jeez my brothers Hemi only has 2.5inch. My fathers 6.0 or 6.1 in his Chevy only has 2.5 also. 3 inch would be great at RPM but would give you problems low RPM I would think.

its a turbo so bigger the better, but your trade off is poor drivability and loss of low end torque but massive gain up high
Quote from sinbad :Agree about the engines, XFGTi in particular should be a real fizzy little firecracker, and I don't get that impression from the current sounds, but (although it was technically a much poorer sound) the original sounds did give me that impression.

General question now, anyone else find the gear-whine totally uninspiring? It's more like a whistle, the sound is the same for every car and only the volume is altered. It needs to be much more agressive and dynamic, more gear and throttle dependant, not just louder on the GTR race cars, and should not just be the same sound as on the road cars but at a different volume.
THIS is gearbox whine
(I know we don't have that car too btw)
http://uk.video.yahoo.com/vide ... %3DUTF-8%26meta%3Dvc%253D

Quote from XGremlinX_pt :completly agree with that

I would prefer if the "big green button" automatically selects a server (based on language version, ping whatever) and starts the downloads.

I got this after canceling the U35 autoupdate and pressing 'back' and very shortly after that 'button 15 ctrl_f4', which is mapped to '/exit'. Wasn't able to reproduce it...
Quote from Blackout :edit. Oh oh, can you tell what that exhaust separation on flat and V engines actually means and does?

It just plays the left pipe a tiny bit louder in your left ear and the right pipe a bit louder in your right ear. This is good because with headphones on, the sound doesn't seem to be coming from a point in the middle of your head.

I have not been able to solve this problem with single pipe engines though which only have one sound source. The separation methods I tried gave bad results, like I wanted to turn my head sideways, etc. So they are a bit too "mono".

But it works nicely in the V and flat engines, giving a "fuller" sound.
Quote from kompa :

I got this after canceling the U35 autoupdate and pressing 'back' and very shortly after that 'button 15 ctrl_f4', which is mapped to '/exit'. Wasn't able to reproduce it...

Which version did you have before that?

So what I mean is : which version did you get the crash in? U34?

EDIT : Don't worry, the crash address is not inside LFS exe (probably in DirectDraw or something, caused by LFS) so I won't be able to get anything from that - doesn't make any difference which version you were using. Thanks for the description though.
U35, is a lot better in terms of the engine sounds not going flat at high revs, at least to me. BF1 sounds pretty good now, I'd say its about right.

The XRR still sounds a bit muffled in comparison to what it should, so does the FZ5. The FZ5 is the only car I have any real complaint about - there is some kind of annoying high pitched sound that changes between the left and right channel at high rpm (from what I can tell). Apart from that, its pretty good.

I'd love it now if we had a little more going on on throttle lift.
it´s one single click soul, annoys me too. but it isn´t not too hard to change that imo
This thread is closed

OLD test patch thread, up to U35
(851 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG