The online racing simulator
Thanks for pointing that out, BBT. I attached the image to the post above.

Vain
LFS (U33) crashes while resizing window.
LFS (U33) crashes while resizing window.
LFS starts on my Desktop (3840x1024) in windowed mode at size of 3720x955. If I resize the window slowly it crashes with this message(german): Die Anweisung in "0x00514373" verweist auf Speicher in "0x00000008". "read" konnte nicht auf dem Speicher durchgeführt werden.

This only happens at windowsizes around 3710x950, if I drag the mouse faster there is no crash.
Regarding this Uxx patch feature:
"S2 users can see and join S1 hosts in List of Games screen"

When you are selecting "Online mode select" Demo/S1/S2 - isn't it's point diluted? It's an idea to have those options on the same screen with the server lists now - like filters. (See attached image for serving suggestion).

I don't know how LFS netcode works, so this might be totally stupid.
Attached images
untitled.JPG
I'm having connection stability issues with patch U33 which i didn't have prior U32.
Restarted both computer and dsl modem with no effect. No other apps running while I race.
I can stay on for about 3-4 laps depending on servers and then "lost connection to host".
I hope there's a solution to this soon.
patch U34 just came out.
U34 Update
A minor update. The reason for such a small update is to test the automatic downloader, and to give any fixes and changes (which are all small and safe) the longest possible testing time, before Patch V is released this week.

Changes :

Discount immediate pit stops from the "must pit" rule
All cars resaved, with minor changes to sound (e.g. less gear whine)
Slightly more sound changes on large GTR cars and LX6
More updated translations

FIX : Entering SHIFT+U from following view played loud car sound
FIX : Move speed slider didn't work in high view if following car
FIX : A few vertices out of place on driver necks and marshall helmet
I hope the skid sounds won't be amplified any more than they currently are. The limits of grip and the whole awerness of what's going on should come to you in a balanced array of all the information LFS is giving you, for many reasons. PPL should get rid of the bad habit. I got skids at minimum, wind maxed and engine at 6 and I can hear the squealing even in a closed cockpit environment quite well. TBO's make too much noise as well IMO. This is when racing with decent headphones.
the one person asking for skidsounds not to be changed against the big room full of people wanting them louder.

i checked you online stats and they seam to be hidden for some reason?
maybe you need louder skid sounds?
#684 - col
Quote from Vain :Why 'tiny delay'?
Vain

/me takes a guess...
Maybe because each one is in a different "position" in the simulated chamber/pipe structure, so rather than model a complex structure with a seperate bandlimited filter to introduce each sound exitation at the correct position, he introduces them all at the same position but with a time delay calculated by the speed of sound and the distance down the model.... or something...
EDIT: oops, I misread - I guess its just to seperate the two pipes in space - one is always going to be a bit further away from the listner than the other, so a 'tiny' delay is a reasonable approximation ?

@Scawen - does your exhaust model include different diameters of pipe and or slightly tapered sections... or some sort of accurate simulation of joins...
I was wondering if somthing like this would introduce some slightly more chaotic (fractal) results that would give a more lively sounds rather than the current ones that seem very periodic and predictable... like the difference between a saxophone and a clarinet - sax is a cone rather than a cylinder, and this gives it a much wilder more expressive sound.....
EDIT2 I guess that even if there are no tapered sections in the system, the violence of the exhaust will be constantly deforming the pipes which will in turn alter their response - this will have a similar chaotic effect - like when you blow a trumpet hard, you get a much more raspy 'rude' timbre
Quote from Scawen :No, the wastegate doesn't make a noise. ....The wastegate is silent, all turbo cars have it, it controls the amount of exhaust gases that go through the turbine, or past it. The wastegate controls the speed of the turbo so that the intake runs at a specified pressure.

"doesn't make a noise"... yes and no, because you can generally hear it through the exhaust system since much of the muting caused by the turbine side of the turbocharger is bypassed when the WG opens. On some race vehicles they open right to atmosphere, which is actually quite loud; but then those cars are already loud
I have just one question, does patch V makes all testpatches to V, so basically theres nothing new in patch V, just all testpatches together , under one letter (V).
The new auto updater is fantastic, great addition.

I like the difference in the sound between having the roof up and down in the convertibles! I autocross my Miata and I always have the roof down when I race (without fail), because of course it gives you a much better idea of what's going on. I just feel a lot more connected to what's happening, being able to hear the exhaust note better and get more of a sense of what the tyres are doing.

I'll get some audio sometime soon and get some comparisons of roof up and roof down.
Patch V will probably be almost the same as the last test patch before it. I might do a clean install to try to keep the clutter free though you probably won't need to anyway. I would still recommend installing Patch V as it will probably be the most stable.
Quote from Eleanor SpeedGT :I have just one question, does patch V makes all testpatches to V, so basically theres nothing new in patch V, just all testpatches together , under one letter (V).

We will find out in a few days anyway
Quote from col :EDIT: oops, I misread - I guess its just to seperate the two pipes in space - one is always going to be a bit further away from the listner than the other, so a 'tiny' delay is a reasonable approximation ?

Yes, it's a tiny delay on the output of one pipe, not a delay on the firing. A flat 6 and a flat 4 are have even firings, but they don't sound like an inline 4 or an inline 6 which also have even firings (I mean the same gap between every cylinder firing). Flat and V engines always have separate exhaust outlets as far as I know (one for the left bank of cylinders and another for the right bank) so wherever you stand, you are hearing those two as separate noises. An inline 6 sounds smooth, but a flat 6 sounds more like two triples revving simultaneously. In LFS because of other limitations of the model (spatial representations, for example) those pipes output sort of blended together unless they had a time delay separation. It's about a metre's worth of separation. I mean, the time delay on one of the pipes is about the time it takes to travel one metre at the speed of sound. It makes a big difference to the sound.

Quote from col :@Scawen - does your exhaust model include different diameters of pipe and or slightly tapered sections... or some sort of accurate simulation of joins...

No, each LFS pipe has three sections (headers, collector and tail pipe) which all muffle to some extent and all have different natural resonant frequencies but it is not as clever or nice as your description of possible things to simulate. A lot more can be done to make better sounds.
Just tried the LX6 and love the sound, however when playing a replay back some of the gear changes do sound like rolf harris is under my bonnet with his wibbly wobbly board, know what i mean, i like it but its a bit odd. sorry for my pathetic description, but i couldn't think of another way of putting it. BTW glad you reduced the gear whine, much better!!!

Thanks

Andrew
Done some testing, certainly moving in the right direction. More potential than ever before. Still a long way to go.

Quote from col :does your exhaust model include different diameters of pipe and or slightly tapered

I was thinking the same thing, all the exhausts sound the same - and sound too fat. Thinner pipes please.

Edit: Scawen's post arrived while I was typing. My request stands. Nice to finally hear some progress though.
- The wind volume in the BF1 is too high and results in clipping when you're faster than about 275 km/h.
- UFR sounds to calm, maybe it's possible to improve this sound a bit.
- Nice BF1 starter sound. The FO8 could use this sound as well, it doesn't have a starter either afaik.
small improvement suggestions:

A)
in pit: sort sets by track (or name), not by date

B)
in pit: (maybe) show sets only for chosen vehicle (optionbox?)

C)
showing set-list by saving received set, same nice feature like implemented by saving replays

D)
if autosave of replay is active, overwrite last replay if defined end of space is reached to avoid endless increase of LFS-folder.(Replay end of space for example: 100MB)

E)
no interrupt during voting for race start when new player connects. The player who joins race without haven't been on track for a certain time, is simply a risk for all other gamers, so there is no need to wait for him. (Or has this interrupt an other technical reason?)

Question:

F)
Is it possible to log locally the count of driven hotlaps in a ciphered txt-file which is updated/send by every start of LFS to LFSworld. So a better comparison to other drivers would be possible, especially when someone only drives hotlaps and not only PBs >from online races.

Thanks for that great update feature in U32 and for the best race game ever
Quote from Scawen :Flat and V engines always have separate exhaust outlets as far as I know (one for the left bank of cylinders and another for the right bank) so wherever you stand, you are hearing those two as separate noises.

Most stock exhaust systems, or many aftermarket dual systems would have a crossover pipe to balance pressures and aid in scavenging. A cross over pipe (can be an H or an X type usually) is just a section strategicaly placed to join the two sides together. So in street cars they would interact somewhat & thus wouldn't be totally separate for that reason. Can't think of a car in LFS that this would apply to though... MAYBE the FZ50, would have to look into Porsche exhaust systems a bit.
small / big bug
Quote from GP4Flo :The wind volume in the BF1 is too high and results in clipping when you're faster than about 275 km/h.

What do you think you're going to hear near 200MPH?

Edit: to make this OnTopic (tm):

I think I will suggest that we can hear all the other cars around us a lot louder, IE the external sound. Driving the cars in chase view sounds darn good, and we should hear THAT sound if say an LX6 blows past me in my LX4.
Obviously only if the car is in front, more specifically if we have direct ear-shot to the tailpipe of the car.
The LX6: :clapclap: , stunning!

I think the XRR sounds a bit too muffled though. I still hope the FZR will get raspier/gnarlier/more violent. The FXR is getting there.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :What do you think you're going to hear near 200MPH?

Definatively not an engine which gets quieter, because the sound is clipping and out of range.

Edit: To be clear, I like the loud wind at high speeds, but in the BF1 it's just too much for LFS to handle, resulting in clipping which also affects the engine. So this is a bug which should be fixed by lowering the wind volume for the BF1 a bit. Try it for yourself to hear what I mean.

BTT: Some people in the german forum are reporting, that they cannot hear Teamspeak anymore, because LFS' engine sounds are too loud. Can anyone here confirm this?
This thread is closed

OLD test patch thread, up to U35
(851 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG