The online racing simulator
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :What do you think you're going to hear near 200MPH?

Edit: to make this OnTopic (tm):

I think I will suggest that we can hear all the other cars around us a lot louder, IE the external sound. Driving the cars in chase view sounds darn good, and we should hear THAT sound if say an LX6 blows past me in my LX4.
Obviously only if the car is in front, more specifically if we have direct ear-shot to the tailpipe of the car.

275km/h is more like 170mph. IMO, the wind volume is just fine.
#702 - col
Quote from Scawen :
No, each LFS pipe has three sections (headers, collector and tail pipe) which all muffle to some extent and all have different natural resonant frequencies but it is not as clever or nice as your description of possible things to simulate. A lot more can be done to make better sounds.

Are these three sections 'just' simple resonant filters?
If so, I wonder if adding just a very basic waveguide for the main exhaust pipe(s) might make a big difference - it would give a 'throat' to the sound. I know that this would be some work but I also know it is not a huge task as I have had a go with a basic waveguide implementation myself (flute), and I couldn't believe how simple it is, And how effective.... of course, adding in all the fancy refinements that I was suggesting would be a much bigger job - certainly well beyond my abilities - and if you did, I would probably need to upgrade my Athlon1800+ - but those things are probably just overkill
Quote from GP4Flo :

BTT: Some people in the german forum are reporting, that they cannot hear Teamspeak anymore, because LFS' engine sounds are too loud. Can anyone here confirm this?

Agreed, my LFS sounds are minimized and I still can't hear, I ended up cranking my TS volume a bit louder and using a lower overall volume sound to a bit of a fix.
Correct me if I am wrong but the sounds are now .wmp? and not .raw thus I should not have .raw in my sounds folder. Why do I still have .raw sounds even after installing patch U32?
Quote from GP4Flo :Edit: To be clear, I like the loud wind at high speeds, but in the BF1 it's just too much for LFS to handle, resulting in clipping which also affects the engine. So this is a bug which should be fixed

since when is clipping a bug? clipping happens irl also. clipping per se is not a bug.
Not to beat the proverbial dead horse, but impeller speed does not stay constant once target boost is reached. The wastegate is designed to maintain a certain pressure ratio and regulates the impeller speed accordingly. In a nutshell, the LFS model is correct and intake air mass does change depending on engine speed.

Boost tapers off at high revs when some part of the intake/exhaust system starts choking or when the wastegate is being forced open by the pressure in the exhaust manifold, not because the impeller speed/intake air mass stays constant.
Quote from KiDCoDEa :since when is clipping a bug? clipping happens irl also. clipping per se is not a bug.

Exactly

& I bet you can't hear your F1 engine as well at 300K as you can at 100K even IRL
Xrg
Is it possible I heard gearwhine in the road car XRG, LX4?

Do they use straight cut gears?
Or i heard just the differential?
Or is there a little geawhine in helical gears at high load?

Which car has straight cut gears in the game at all?
Quote from xWolFx :Correct me if I am wrong but the sounds are now .wmp? and not .raw thus I should not have .raw in my sounds folder. Why do I still have .raw sounds even after installing patch U32?

1. They are wav
2. If the raw files would've been deleted, then we'd have millions of "WTF WHY DID YOU DELETE MY CUSTOM BOV SOUND?!? RAWR!" threads
I've casually noticed that after you run out of fuel and before the car stops, the tone of the engine noise varies with the position of the throttle pedal. I don't know, but should this happen?
Quote from bal00 :Not to beat the proverbial dead horse, but impeller speed does not stay constant once target boost is reached. The wastegate is designed to maintain a certain pressure ratio and regulates the impeller speed accordingly. In a nutshell, the LFS model is correct and intake air mass does change depending on engine speed.

Boost tapers off at high revs when some part of the intake/exhaust system starts choking or when the wastegate is being forced open by the pressure in the exhaust manifold, not because the impeller speed/intake air mass stays constant.

Ok, I see I made some errors (hazard of thinking / typing too quickly at work) :ashamed:

My point is that in LFS, the impeller stops gaining RPM and yet somehow manages to provide the same amount of boost for 3000 more engine RPM. How is this correct?

Boost will also taper off at high revs if the turbocharger simply cannot provide enough air due to it's size / efficiency range limitations (which I guess you could say is "part of the intake system choking")
Possible bug:

When LFS is restarted after patching (U33 to U34) it "loses focus". Meaning that the screen flashes and shift-F4 is not working. But if I keep hammering all possible button combinations LFS minimizes eventually to task bar and comes back ok.

Using Kerio firewall, may be the possible issue but I'm not sure. Anyone else having this?
Quote from eindh :I've casually noticed that after you run out of fuel and before the car stops, the tone of the engine noise varies with the position of the throttle pedal. I don't know, but should this happen?

Yes; you can still open the throttle body up (throttle) and hear the sounds of the engine's induction system through it, even with no gas being burnt.
A few things:

1. Option or check of position, if view is outsite the car, for the amount of muffling of all sounds in custom view (appears to be in-car sounds in custom view for tin-tops).
2. Less windnoise from BF1 on trackside cameras, having a hard time hearing engine sound at higher speeds from this camera.
3. Louder high-rev engine sound for BF1, feels like high-pitched engine-sound with no 'depth' to the sound.
3. Nearly all cars engine-sound needs to sound meaner, less perfect.
4. Louder start-up sound for engine (for FZR at least).

And I'm still getting clicking/crackling a few times every laps.

edit:
When upgrading from U33 to U34 after after disconnecting from a server (was racing w/ wheel), the restart caused quite an increase in FFB power. Any idea why this would happen?

And a question (been wondering this for quite some time, no need to answer this if you don't have the time):
How big is the performance hit for the Viewer shadows (detailed sharp shadows) compared to the ones used in LFS right now, and are these (Viewer ones) possible to implent in LFS without much work?
Quote from VALAKI-hun- :This is not U34!!!

Download & install U32 -> Multiplayer -> Display list of games -> Autoupdater comes up -> Select download location -> Download U34 -> LFS restarts itself -> Finished

illepall
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :...

the way i understand how turbos work i that they try to keep a certain intake pressure constant and the actual air flow would indeed vary depending on the amount of air the engine takes in
so the air flow sound should increase with revs which from what ive heard from those dyno vids all over youtube is exactly what happens irl

Quote from Scawen :What did you want to hear? I guess you mean, you want me to work a lot more on the sounds before patch V?

But... I insist on a couple of weeks break for Christmas holiday, I can't just go on and on without a pause. Therefore Patch V with all its major imrovements must come out *this week*. So we're out of time for major sound updates, which would be risky.

frankly i dont think youll do yourself a favour if you release the current state of the engine sounds before christmas as the "masses" will probably expect something different when the read "sound improvements" on the changelog especially before chistmas

just to make it clear im not asking you to work during the holidays but id advise you to keep lfs in Ux test state while you enjoy your vacation

Quote from jtw62074 :Noise source... I suppose you could say that. The data that feeds it comes from a full engine simulation I wrote probably a year ago. (I.e., bore/stroke/compression ratio, cam timing/lift, intake/exhaust dimensions and configuration, head flow rates, etc., etc..) That obviously doesn't run anywhere near real time of course, but it creates a data file that powers the audio stuff that easily runs in real time now.

so its all physical modelling synthesis ?
with some form of karplus strong ?

Quote :Nope, it's a single exhaust pipe. I.e., pure exhaust sound with no mechanical bits in there at all. There's a little bit of a high frequency squeak in that one sample (I should have used a better one). What you're hearing there are some harmonics that come into play due to sonic velocity, the pipe length, and so on, at certain rpms. I.e., you can get standing/travelling waves at certain frequencies (rpms).

do you have to use a physical model of the fluid dynomics to get that effect or it it stictly cause by the properties of the digital waveguide i assume you use to model the exhaust pipe
Ok I have not tested 34 yet but I have not seen this mentioned. There has been somthing bugging me about the engien sounds. I finaly pinned it down after some testing.

This has proved to not be the case, in initial testing. The rate of exhaust pop seems to be close at 8k RPMs in the LX6 with a timing of 20ms, 5 ms faster then it shoud be for an I6 at 8k.

First the pop that defignes the outrushing of exhaust gases seem to be slow in reguards to the engines RPMs. The engines in LFS do not sound like that are running at an idling speed until they reatch about 3k RPMs.

The second part is that the high range sounds are far too sutble while the low range sounds are far too strong. When I adjust my bass all the way down and the treble all the way up I start to get a nice mixing of tones and some interesting harmonics start to appear when I have the volume way up.
It is a bit annoying that "window while connecting" is always set to YES after patching, what about an option "never"?
(or, the other way round - "only after new patch")
Quote from KiDCoDEa :since when is clipping a bug? clipping happens irl also. clipping per se is not a bug.

Sorry, looks like I only write misunderstandable stuff today. What I mean is, that the engine get's quiet because of the clipping at high speeds. It's not a programming bug, but it's nevertheless a problem which should be fixed by lowering the wind volume.

Quote from Hyperactive :Possible bug:

When LFS is restarted after patching (U33 to U34) it "loses focus". Meaning that the screen flashes and shift-F4 is not working. But if I keep hammering all possible button combinations LFS minimizes eventually to task bar and comes back ok.

Using Kerio firewall, may be the possible issue but I'm not sure. Anyone else having this?

I don't have a flashing Firewall and no problems with loosing focus. But that's exactly the reason why there is "window while connecting", so why don't you use that option?
got a quick question

is it normal that the carsounds after installing u34 sounds much different then in the first u patch? over here it seems that some cars have almost the same sound (a bit electrical, a bit like some arcade race games). is this normal or has it something to do with my audiocard

thanx!!
There is a problem in the translated engine text in the car selection screen. It seems that the text is concatenated without spaces between fields. It happens in spanish and some other languages, but not in english.

It happens, at least to me, with the new 32-34 patches (don't know exactly which one introduced it).
Attached images
engine_english.png
engine_spanish.png
Quote from Rugero :got a quick question

is it normal that the carsounds after installing u34 sounds much different then in the first u patch? over here it seems that some cars have almost the same sound (a bit electrical, a bit like some arcade race games). is this normal or has it something to do with my audiocard

thanx!!

:inq:

illepall
is it normal that the carsounds after installing u34 sounds much different then in the first u patch?

Wow, i think you just took the record in not reading the thread you post in.

Quote from Scawen :Car Sound Improvements

thanx!!

Didn't you even read the changelog?
dunno if this is wanted by the devs but when i race in wheelcam the skid sounds etc are still lowpassed in sound

thats a bit weird when i see the tyres and listen them in lowpass
This thread is closed

OLD test patch thread, up to U35
(851 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG