The online racing simulator
Nice, The thread title is still U32, but when starting up LFS...

It said: download U33 etc.

I love the auto-update
Just gave the new stuff a go here. The new sounds are quite welcome and an improvement imo. Good work I also like the new track selection screen and the auto updater.

One thing to note here, and I'm not sure if the guys are aware of this. The base frequency of the engine should match the number of exhaust pulses per second. When running the FZR for instance at 7000 rpm, it comes in at about 115Hz, which corresponds to less than 2900 rpm. I think it's always been this way in LFS, but maybe it's necessary if the quality at a much higher frequency (pitch) is too plain.

I like the low rpm sound more now. Got more of a whump whump whump to it.
Quote from Scawen :
Higher Wind and Skid boost volumes (default and maximum)

The new auto update feature works great! This is going to be SO handy for staying up to date in the future. Given the number of test patches you crank out, this is probably the best addition so far.

One suggestion I'd like to make is that you change the audio sliders so that "0" or "normal" is in the center and so that all the sliders use the same scale. When you install LFS for the first time all of the sounds should be at the "normal" level which would be in the center. Moving the slider to the left would be negative (-5, for example) and moving to the right would be positive (+5, for example). Having the different sounds all with different levels (2-10 for car sound, 0-20 for music and interface, and 0-2 for everything else) makes things confusing and there's no way to easily know what the default level is. You might also consider dropping the words "boost" from those sounds which list it since it's really unnecessary.

Great job overall. I can't wait to hear the future improvements.
How can we do to update an dedi server to u33 ???
thanks
When you connect to a server that's already filled in, where you played earlier, does it also update? Sorry if I missed this..
Quote from birder :Went from U30 to U32, so used a unlock, but could not race with the new sounds as they gave me a headache with the constant drone.

I also found that the lack of skid noise made me slower.

So i went Back to U30, using another unlock

No unlocks left so sorry but cannot try U33.

I have sent an email but still no unlocks

I think you will find there are several people in the same boat.

agreed with this, although i have jumped from "U" to U33 and i am having big troubles with the tyre sounds, if 30 is the last good one i will try and find that instead
The gear whine should be something to work with next, it's great but should be reduced in roadcars and the volume outside in racecars sounds too loud. Of course the reason might be that engine/exhast sound doesn't cover it up and thats why every car sort of sounds they had some sort of huge turbo or supercharged. And the BF1 now, well, it's better I think but sort of lacks low bass sound. When a F1 goes pass you even with very slow speed, it feels like it rips your stomack apart. There is sort of huge bass wave coming behind the car.
Could anyone tell me what the gear whine is, I'm not hearing it, because I don't know/understand what I need to hear
Quote from xaotik :Also, minor inconsistency - the servers available list www.lfsforum.net as the primary one yet when the abortion occurs LFS prompts the user to try again using www.liveforspeed.net

I think that may be a translation error.

The message you see is "TryING again with using www.liveforspeed.net"

It's trying again, automatically, using the main site backup when a mirror fails. It's not prompting you to try again.
Updater feedback
Went smoothly but a couple of issues ...

I start LfS using Pitspotter but after the update has run, LfS restarts itself so I have to kill it and then restart via Pitspotter as normal. Not a major issue but just something Pitspotter users (or users of other addons that start LfS this way) should bear in mind.

The update is only available via 'List of Games'. Could it also be flagged up on the 'Join Specific Game' page?
Quote from sgt.flippy :When you connect to a server that's already filled in, where you played earlier, does it also update? Sorry if I missed this..

nope, you get no message when you click on "join specific game". only when you click on "display list..."
Lately I'm always just joining in on the STCC server.

So Scawen, if it's possible, add the update funcionallity also to "join specific game".
Quote from wien :I just have to add my voice to this comment, as I have a similar experience with the new sounds. I'm no audio expert either, so I have a hard time trying to put into words what it sounds like, but it's some kind of resonance in there that's really unpleasant to listen to. (Especially on headphones.) After a while it's close to physically hurting.

I also suffer from this issue. I had to stop playing with the FZR, it felt like a buzzsaw in my head. Very weird.

Good torture technique though
the Dedicated Server updates automatically?
Probably nothing to do with the update, but the strangest thing...

Ever since the auto update our server keeps on lagging us all out. We'd been racing for over an hour and a half without a problem, then all of a sudden the autoupdate comes in and our server just lags us out... Anybody else experiencing this?

EDIT: let me elaborate.
We were doing fine. Then someone said there was an update. Next thing we know the server connection dies on us. No big deal, happens every now and again. Reconnect, argue about the starting order, and it kills us all again.
I think I've found a bug:

When you are in 'Shift U'-Mode, the sound is as loud as in cockpit view. It keeps this loudness even when you are on the other side of the track, far away from your car.
Quote from marcoschaefer :I think I've found a bug:

When you are in 'Shift U'-Mode, the sound is as loud as in cockpit view. It keeps this loudness even when you are on the other side of the track, far away from your car.

I only get it when you press shift-U in behind the car view. When starting from other views its fine, it does cut the sound a bit weirdly straight trough when going too far, but that's not a bug but a thing to improve maybe.
Quote from GeForz :OK now this is weired!

I mean you can see servers running Version 0.5: U, U15, U20, U23, U25, U30, U32
Then there are a few listened as wrong version running 0.5: T, U19, U21, U28

And I see some S1 servers running U20, U30, U32

Now fixed.
Quote from jtw62074 :One thing to note here, and I'm not sure if the guys are aware of this. The base frequency of the engine should match the number of exhaust pulses per second. When running the FZR for instance at 7000 rpm, it comes in at about 115Hz, which corresponds to less than 2900 rpm. I think it's always been this way in LFS, but maybe it's necessary if the quality at a much higher frequency (pitch) is too plain.

Well,that makes sense.. Are you sure you're not just picking up the dominant pulses due to the firing order in LFS? Seems like a pretty basic principle for LFS to be missing. The fundamental wave seems much more prominent at lower RPMs
What I mean is if you play a sine wave on top of it you can match it as though you were humming the same note as the engine. The exhaust on a real engine will "speak" at how ever many cycles per second (Hz, the frequency) the exhaust pulses dictate. A 4 stroke 6 cylinder engine has 6 exhaust pulses every 2 engine revolutions, or 3 per second.

The main pitch you hear should be:

Frequency = EngineRPM / 60 * NumberOfCylinders / n

n = 2 for a 4 stroke engine, or 1 for a 2 stroke.

I.e., taking the FZR 4 stroke for example with 6 cylinders at 7000 rpm:

Frequency = 7000 / 60 * 6 / 2

Frequency = 350 Hz

If I match a recording of this to a sine wave I get about 115Hz, about 1/3 of the right value.

Granted, if you have more than 1 cylinder firing at the same time, then that changes things :P
damm after trying to go back to plain old "U" i have ran out of unlocks for this month
@jtw:
Did you try that procedure on several engines?
I analyzed the sound (at 7000rpm) with audacity and the FZ5/FZR flat 6 engine has only 3 different sounds over all times. Those are propably meant to simulate 2 simultaneous combustions.

Vain
As a point of reference here is a link to a video of a honda S2000 equiped for performance. 2L inline 4, IRTB intake, tuned exhaust. This is what a track prepped street car can sound like. When I get the coin I am doing this to my miata.

Enjoy, and hope LFS can sound this good.

http://videos.streetfire.net/P ... 6B-4C36-92B3-88AD7020C61A
where can I see whats changed in u33?

Autoupdater worked like a charm
same problem here as micky, i did go back to u30, had to unlock again and now all unlocks are used...

new unlock please.
This thread is closed

OLD test patch thread, up to U35
(851 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG