The online racing simulator
Quote from thisnameistaken :I've had that happen before with previous versions of LFS. Very rarely, but I have seen it. Although for me it usually goes away eventually, but it sometimes takes a long time. I think it must be related to a laggy connection?

Yep, that's when server is lagging, happened to me also, nothing to do with test patches..
Quote from MauroDiaz :I doubt this can be reproduced hence the little value in raising this (perhaps)... Last thing: I use the same hardware for quite some time and rarely install any software on it...

Cheers,
Mauro

I've seen similar things happen, but only racing in the autopark, usually after being booted off the course. I have not seen it happen on a standard track, before or after the test patch.

Perhaps you won't see it again after rebooting your computer.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Turbine stalling or not; the impeller will be pumping a particular amount of air at said turbine RPM.

not necessarily which was my point just because its running at a certain rpm doesnt mean the flow through it will be the maximum flow the turbine could provide at that rpm
so the whine doesnt necessarily change but the whoooosh can
at least from my understanding

Quote from Impreza WRX :About 10,000 RPM engines sounding too low... may I direct your attention to this archival snippet from Spoon Sports. If you are not into the technobabble, skip the first third of the video. They take a 1.6L 4 cylinder in a Honda Civic to 10,000 RPM!

Educational use...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl8T9KFgjWc&eurl=

i cant believe how well that engine runs at low rpms ... ah well its got a pretty tall rev limit at 8.5 to begin with

Quote from Leprekaun : I think if it would be possible to derive the BF1 sound to the FO8, I know they're not the same car but they are quite close (V8 engine) because it doesn't really make sense to have the 2 cars that basically, have the same engine type yet they sound very different. Its just my opinion and take your time, just a little request from a little leprekaun .

the bf1 engine does actually sound rather nice on the fo8
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :I've always wondered if you've ever driven a real car before :rolleyes:

I'm actually being sincere

I suppose FWD cars ranging from an Acura legend to a Mazda MX-6, RWD cars ranging from a modified LT1 Formula, 5.0 Mustang, and full bolt-on/cammed LT1 Camaro to a 3L Z4, 540i Sport wagon, GS300, AWD cars ranging from a 330xi to a Volvo S70 wagon, don't count as cars. I have never driven a car that is as loose and easily recontrolled as the cars in LFS.

That being said, its on the right track, but not quite there yet. Considering you were audacious enough to ask if someone who has been driving legally for eight years and on closed roadways for an additional 4, I assume you were one of the people that claimed that S2's original physics were perfect. Despite the changes by the the developers in the mean time, I am sure they were perfect before and after the changes.illepall Way to go.

One more physics adjustment and you're wrong again, and I'm right again. Have a nice day.
How can I prevent LFS from going into window mode when connecting the the multiplayer lobby? My card doesn't like it when LFS does that, it switches off FSAA. Even if I alt + tab out it does it.
the sounds are well done.. nice gear banging and whine- i would hae left a good deal in,
the BF1 the sound is wierd. U34- it was really good in patch U- it sound like it is bubbling water, but the other are pretty good.

thanks Scawen-er Scavier all you-
nice interface with the tracks too
Quote from Stregone :How can I prevent LFS from going into window mode when connecting the the multiplayer lobby? My card doesn't like it when LFS does that, it switches off FSAA. Even if I alt + tab out it does it.

There is an option just before getting the list of servers: Window while connecting or something.Switch it to off!
Quote from Paranoid Android :There is an option just before getting the list of servers: Window while connecting or something.Switch it to off!

Okay I'm a dumbass, hadn't played LFS in quite a while and thought it was the patch that changed that behavior, but I simply forgot I had switched it off before
i think that LFS sound in general (not only the engine) is very clean... an important part of sounds in the car is the effect of the suspensions and the tires hitting the tarmac in the track faliures or in the crubs. i dont know how hard could be this for the devs but i would like to have this in the future.
another thing that could help in the inmersion and speed sensation are the particles hitting on the casis and wheel holes.
Maybe on GTR cars (lite and pro) could be certain to add some incar sound like the jail working and touching another parts of the car durnig big turns or downhills (but knowing Scawen`s style this ll be just allow if the sim emulate the body tortion).

dont missunerstandme, this are ideas for the future, but anyway i think that ll help to have a less clean sound in lfs.
If I may suggest something, I believe the big GTR cars should have MORE gear whine. Like a lot more (that it be louder). Also on cars with straight cut gears, the gear whine should probably "skip" when using a high gear ratio (like 1st or 2nd gear) and backing off gas and maybe also skip in a similar manner on hard bumps on the road.

Appart from that I really like the sound of 4 cylinder engines at the moment. Maybe turbo louder?
Has anyone else noticed that now when you change the ingame sound it doesn't make any difference?
With Engine Volume on 0 I can hear the engine heaps loud.
Dont know if its been said before.
Quote from Nick_ll :If I may suggest something, I believe the big GTR cars should have MORE gear whine. Like a lot more (that it be louder). Also on cars with straight cut gears, the gear whine should probably "skip" when using a high gear ratio (like 1st or 2nd gear) and backing off gas and maybe also skip in a similar manner on hard bumps on the road.

I've been trying to say this for some time - I posted a vid of the McLaren F1 LM (which is just a McLaren F1 GTR converted for the road so it still has straight cut gears)... the gear whine clearly skips back and forth when lifting off the throttle.
Just had a quick scan through and can't see this mentioned, so here goes.

U34, I am getting some kind of wierd "air rush" noise on the throttle, not induction sucking, its far to high pitched for that, it's air rushing, sort of like the wind noise, but attached to the throttle, and it sounds really odd, happens in most (every) car, and is quite annoying.
Just wondering if the "Test Speed" does anything, I'm pretty sure it does. But why does it have to always reset?
Hi! The current sound of saloon car engines (especially XRT) has one unbearable feature. If you listen to it at 6000rpm in headphones you get ringing sensation in ears because of excessing volume of 200-600 Hz. These frequences dominate and it's hard to stand them. I use equalizer to reduce 200-600Hz only then it's possible to hear those gorgeous sounds of intake and turbine. Equalizing spoils other sounds though.

IMO simulation of soundproofing is wrong. In real life it is tuned to create a balanced ratio of all kind of noises. Tyre and engine sounds are balanced so no one dominates - otherwise it will be anoying even if quiet. Besides the features of soundproofing materials are designed to neutralize certain frequences that are most unpleasant for human ear. The sound of engine in real car is usually pleasing. Unlike in LFS saloons.

I realize that the sound system is in a process of creation now and the final version will probably be perfect. But could you Scawen equalize the current engine sounds to make them easy on ears like it have been before U30.

BR

edit: btw, in RBR there was an opportunity to equalize every engine sounding by editing a text file. That was nice, could be useful in LFS too.
#766 - dev
Hi Scawen! I love the new auto update feature

One thing -> the new sound generating system. Tire sounds, when on the outside of the car, you hear the tires much louder then when you set your view inside of the car, and thats ok But when I set my view to costum, I allways hear the sound as if I was inside the car, even if I place the costum camera outside of the car. Could you make an ability to select whitch sound is generated when in costum view?
U34:
Still not happy with the BF1 (preparing for a race, so racing nothing else atm.).
Tried out the lx6 yesterday - must be the best sounding car in lfs atm.
For the F1: the pitch seems correct (not like in U32) but it should be a lot more aggresive and screaming. I was racing the bf1 yesterday at Kyoto GP Long - and f.e. when going under the bridge, the echo sounds kind of strange. Revs are quiete high there (actually always in the bf1), and the sound starts stuttering. Pls tell me if anyone else is hearing this, or if u need a sample. Pls note this only appears for the half sekond when driving underneath the bridge.

Looking forward to Patch V. Great work devs - as usal.

edit: autoupdate works very smooth and fast.
Quote from SchneeFee :U34:
Still not happy with the BF1 (preparing for a race, so racing nothing else atm.).
Tried out the lx6 yesterday - must be the best sounding car in lfs atm.
For the F1: the pitch seems correct (not like in U32) but it should be a lot more aggresive and screaming. I was racing the bf1 yesterday at Kyoto GP Long - and f.e. when going under the bridge, the echo sounds kind of strange. Revs are quiete high there (actually always in the bf1), and the sound starts stuttering. Pls tell me if anyone else is hearing this, or if u need a sample. Pls note this only appears for the half sekond when driving underneath the bridge.

Looking forward to Patch V. Great work devs - as usal.

edit: autoupdate works very smooth and fast.

I was driving the Sauber around blackwood yesterday evening, and I LOVED the crackle as it went under the bridge - like the aggressiveness of the engine reflected back at me for a millisecond.

I think the road cars need to sound tame - no gear whine, no air induction noise (or very little), a bit of wind roar, smooth engines.
The LX's need to have a throaty sound, more induction noise, lots of wind noise (LX6 is awesome, LX4 nearly there), but less gear whine that now.
The racing cars (tintops) need to sound like raving mad speed machines - gear whine, wind noise, crazy engine ROAR, and induction noise should be dependant on where the intake is, louder than the road cars, but drowned out by the engine anyway.
The single seaters are quite nice. I don't notice gear whine in my car, as the gearbox is miles behind me, behind the engine and next to the exhaust. I do notice wind noise (LFS is quite accurate if the FOX is anything to go by) and the engine notes are pretty good - the Sauber still needs some work.

I'm not 100% convinced by the engine speed sound - they never sound like they're revving at the RPM suggested by the revcounter, but maybe a real engine doesn't if you remove the vibrations and the worry about blowing it up?

@Jeff - You're discussion of turbochargers has got the stage where I can't understand what you're talking about, and I don't really know what the original point was anyway. I don't drive the turbo cars in LFS, so my opinion doesn't matter...

Edit: I've got a video at home of me driving a race-prepped Lancia Fulvia at Castle Combe. We set the camera up badly, so everything through the windows is massively over exposed, and the interior is beautifully exposed, but the sound is great. The car has helical gears (so they'd be quiet right? WRONG!), and a weedy 30 year old 1300 engine putting out about 130hp on standard carbs (32mm Solex). The gear whine is very apparent (Front engined, front wheel drive, but longitudinally mounted, so the gearbox is by your left knee), and the engine sounds really nice (Narrow angle V4). I'll put a clip on here/youtube/google video later this evening to show you what a race car could sound like in my experience.
Ok, this wind rush noise maybe limited to my setup at home, I have just tried it here at work, and its only noticable in the FO8.

As for the rest of the sounds, I think we are somewhere close now, they sound MUCH better, the LX4 is AWESOME, the LX6 is less V-twin like, and the GTR cars now sound much more throaty.

I personally think the gear whine is a bit high pitched, but I guess its a bit subjective, and I agree with Tristan, gear whine should be removed from "road" cars, and also the revving, RPM thing.

But much MUCH better, and I'll have to try and see why I get this suck noise at home.........
Quote from Chaos :good work with the patches Scawen!
one thing tho: i noticed that there is now a "curb" sound when you drive over them with loaded wheels (lx4 at least), but they are way too quiet...

see this vid, at 1.30 i go over vallelunga type curbs (couldn't find a better pic, can make one tomorrow, but seems to me that almost every curb in LFS is of this type (maybe not that 'sharp')) with the loaded wheels and the sound is very loud (sorry for the crappy quality, but is was taken with a camera in a mobile phone and that the A/C was on full because the car was standing in the sun the whole afternoon on a hot summer day, but for the example how loud the curb sound shoud be I think it's enough, louder than the skid sound from the tyres...)

so i made a better photo of the curbs... i imagine that in LFS the curbs are like this, but only a half of these, mirrored, so that its possible to drive over them in both directions...
Attached images
DSC00356.JPG
Quote from danowat :I'll have to try and see why I get this suck noise at home.........

In my case it was because of a diamond ring.

---

The new U34 patch sounds great. I spent about a good hour listening to a replay of various cars passing under the blackwood bridge while in Shift-U mode.

The only things I found odd were:
  • the tyre squeal noise can be heard from very far away - I could hear cars screetching away at the blackwood chicane with a camera at the bridge - and I have the tyre boost set to 0.
  • going off the throttle in the GTRs should probably produce more gear whine or somesuch - in the LX6 you get that and you really "feel" when you've overdone it and are about to get lift-off oversteer.
And some immersion tidbits, nothing serious but in the LX6 with the exhaust on the left, basically right next to the driver I kinda expected the sound to be louder from that side.

PS. Everytime I go off the throttle abruptly in a racecar I now really expect the exhaust to start popping (hint, hint) - with the previous sound engine it never gave you that expectance. Good stuff
Quote from Chaos :so i made a better photo of the curbs... i imagine that in LFS the curbs are like this, but only a half of these, mirrored, so that its possible to drive over them in both directions...

These are (semi-)sawtooth curbs. LFS does NOT have such curbs! Ours are more zig-zagging like /\/\, not /|_/|_ (just a lot flatter).

Quote from xaotik :the tyre squeal noise can be heard from very far away - I could hear cars screetching away at the blackwood chicane with a camera at the bridge - and I have the tyre boost set to 0

Didn't someone in this thread state that exactly that was missing? That he's normally able to make out the location of opponents on the track by their tyre screeches where the engine isn't hearable anymore?
Cosmetic: At startup LFS complains about missing sound files, where before U33 it was silent. That's because I renamed some system sound files -- the continuous beeps from chat messages distract me. (I know there is a slider for it, but when it's at value 0 the beeps are still audible.)

A big for the new sounds, tho. One niggle: it's hard to hear the tyre-scrubbing sound now. Screeching is loud enough, but the softer scrubbing isn't.
Quote from wsinda :Cosmetic: At startup LFS complains about missing sound files, where before U33 it was silent. That's because I renamed some system sound files -- the continuous beeps from chat messages distract me. (I know there is a slider for it, but when it's at value 0 the beeps are still audible.)

Had the same thing as I renamed Message and SysMessage. Replacing them with blank wav files instead of renaming solved the problem
This thread is closed

OLD test patch thread, up to U35
(851 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG