The online racing simulator
I doubt there can ever be a situation where the TC is producing more air pressure than the engine can handle, except in an overboost situation when a failsafe would come into operation, or if you don't have a failsafe you end up blowing the boost hoses off the intercooler like I did with my Renault 18 Turbo LOL.

The engine will always consume as much air as it can, more air = more power, aslong as the FI system can keep up with the air and supply enough fuel, the engine can cope with the pressure, and the rest of the system can, the TC will never produce more air than the engine can handle, obviously the TC systems in LFS are limited to a sensible amount of boost, so yes Scawen, in normal operation I doubt there will (ever) be more air than the engine can handle (excess)
How autoupdate exacly works if I have some modified files? I mean scripts, menu sounds, hi-res textures etc. Will be there replace question on each file?

p.s.: U33 has much better sounds than U32 and I think new sound engine is definitely better than old one, but please increase master volume. LFS is very silent (in comparsion to other games, mp3, videos, ..) and I have to increase sound card master volume before playing.
Quote from Scawen :Well the dump valve isn't something completely different, as I understand it, it opens to let out excess air when you let off the throttle, and the turbo is still spinning at high speed, forcing air towards the engine intakes when the air has nowhere to go becauise the throttle is closed. So the dump valve which is a spring loaded pressure release valve, opens so it doesn't cause overpressurisation on the engine intake side of the impeller, which could cause something to explode and also would have a braking effect of that excess pressure on the impeller (so the opening of the valve reduces the slowdown of the turbo, as you say).

But that still doesn't answer to me where the excess air goes in the stuation Ball Bearing Turbo mentioned. If the turbo is producing more air than the engine is consuming, the air must go somewhere. Actually I suspect it doesn't - and in fact danowat, as you say, there isn't any excess. I think this is more a lacking in the LFS turbo and throttle valve simulation and the air rushing sound is actually correct for the way the LFS turbo works at the moment, and its difference from how a real turbo works, is causing the air rush sound to be timed not quite as expected.

Because the air pumped by the turbo must equal the air consumed by the engine and the air released by the dump valve. But I might be missing something. Anyway, back to work!

Great, now you made me login at work
afaik turbo cars which produce higher pressure than needed use a wastegate, which let's the lets the unneccessary pressure go off to nowhere (engine bay), making quite a load noise. Not too sure either, if nobody else cares I can do some research when I get home
Wastegate is another kettle of fish, its there to stabilized the boost pressure, otherwise you would get pressure differentials at different engine speeds, and in some cases a rudimentary dump valve.

It's also a failsafe for overboost conditions (unless you mess with it )
1.I dont think people that are saying LFS sound is now GREAT are providing any usefull information. This is not the case, pls people, try GTR and GTL, thats proper sound, the sound in LFS is it achilles heel and should be resolved.

2. Has there been talk about resonance and harmonics? I think if harmonics, caused by all the vibrations in and around the engine and exhaust are implemented in LFS (specific higher frequenties at specific lower amplitude) it would be a step forwards. We need more high frequenties at high RPM, this could be the proper simulated way.
Now, I dont know that much about harmonics any more, been 10year since i studied it at college, but i'm sure there's enough talent on this forum to help. (check wikipedia for a start)

3. The gear whine seems to repeat itself (at least on some cars) at constant RPM while driving, as if it was sampled, very anoying.
No, the wastegate doesn't make a noise. It's often confused with the dumpvalve which makes a noise.

Some turbo cars have a loud dumpvalve, and others use a different system. It's an optional thing, some have it and some don't.

The wastegate is silent, all turbo cars have it, it controls the amount of exhaust gases that go through the turbine, or past it. The wastegate controls the speed of the turbo so that the intake runs at a specified pressure. Adusting the wastegate makes your turbo spin more and your car goes faster. Adjust for too much boost and your engine blows up. Turbo nuts love this kind of thing apparently!
Got it completely wrong then

But you agree that the GTRs have too little "air-noise"? If you see videos of real turbocharged cars, like the Audi back then, you hear the turbo sucking in air much more clearly. And the dumpvalve of the GTRs somehow doesn't sound as aggressive as you'd exspect it from more than 1.5bar of pressure

edit: About the people complaining about hearing air being sucked in in the road-cars - I can hear it very clearly in my poorly-insulated polo. Also the gear-shift "click" doesn't sound right for a cheap car like the UF. I don't know how to express how it should sound like, I'll probably record a sound later. And for the GTRs the "click" is not clunky (is that even a word?) enough, it should sound more metal-like, not highly refined. It fits very good to the FZ50 though
I think that there isn't more air from the turbo. The exhausts have reached their maximun and the turbo is at 2 atm, then the air presure is the same until the change of the gear because the wastegate

engine 3000rpm: turbo at 1,5 atm.
engine 4000rpm turbo 2atm
engine 5000rpm turbo 2atm, excess of exhausts goes directly out the turbine
Quote from herki :Great, now you made me login at work
afaik turbo cars which produce higher pressure than needed use a wastegate, which let's the lets the unneccessary pressure go off to nowhere (engine bay), making quite a load noise. Not too sure either, if nobody else cares I can do some research when I get home

The wastegate opens a way for the exhaust gases directly to the escape, without passing for the turbine. If you don't do that, the turbo will presure more and more the fresh air until the crash of something of the engine

The dumpvalve opens a way for the fresh air when you closes the throtlle (the air don't have any way to go), if you don't do that, turbine will overcharge because of excesive pression
But the wastegate doesn't (neccesarily) make any noise
Quote from danowat :But the wastegate doesn't (neccesarily) make any noise

I really think that wastegate makes no sound at all...
Quote from danowat :But the wastegate doesn't (neccesarily) make any noise

Yip you are right.... :o)

The Wastegate doesn't make any noise that you could pick up from indside the cabin of the car. The Dumpvalve makes all the noise but in some cars they dump the air back into the system so the noise is not as loud as when it's dumping into the engine compartment.
Quote from TRM.13 :The wastegate opens a way for the exhaust gases directly to the escape, without passing for the turbine. If you don't do that, the turbo will presure more and more the fresh air until the crash of something of the engine

The dumpvalve opens a way for the fresh air when you closes the throtlle (the air don't have any way to go), if you don't do that, turbine will overcharge because of excesive pression

I got it by now, even after the first post. I confused the wastegate with some kind of overboost protection between the turbine and the engine, something like the have (or at least had) on the Indycars. At least I think they did it via regulating the pressure on the intake side by a valve instead of regulating the amount of air running through the turbo.
The drivers of the Indycar could hear the valve, I'm sure on that, because they had to hear when they reached their maximum amount of allowed boost.
I've been driving the LX4 around and I think it sounds utterly horrible. There's a constant ring to it (kind of "zzzzzzzzzzzzz" tone) in the background which is pretty annoying. I really think that the LX6 sounds a lot like the LX4 should and the LX6 should be a bit more raspy and so forth.

EDIT: I just put the LX6 sound file in place of the LX4 one. ROOAWRAWR Its damn near perfect if a bit too throaty.
used all my unlocks after reinstalling u30. cant try u33
Quote from Lajoosh_ :used all my unlocks after reinstalling u30. cant try u33

E-mail technical support ("contact us" at the bottom of this page). Don't post this here.
Quote from Lajoosh_ :used all my unlocks after reinstalling u30. cant try u33

People don't really seem to think ahead...
either you should backup you data\misc or you should have guessed you'd run out of unlocks if you reinstalled the old patch
Wow Scawen, reading your last few posts, makes me appreciates the new sound even more, even though I personally think they sounded bit worse than before LOL!!

Seriously Scawen, I trust you!! Keep up the good work, I'll be looking forward for the next update!!

*back to LFS*
1) Wastegate

OE wastegates open to a dump valve which dumps back into the air intake so make no noise, its only the add on "Open to air" dump valves that make the sound, and you certainly do not need a dump valve if you are under 300bhp on a 2ltr engine.

2) Sounds

I have tried U32 and U33 and can see very little difference. On U30 my speakers were set to 3 i now have to set them to 8 (max 10) to get the same level, i still cannot hear the skids unless the i have them at max and other sound at min.

The sounds are all to perfect, cars on track are just not like that, they have far to much drone. I race the FZR mainly and its gone from a beast to a tame pussy cat. Since first trying LFS i think sound has always been one of the biggest issues and i do hope that the current sounds are miles away from the finished article. Over the last 2 days on ConeDodgers i have yet to find one person who says they are an improvement.

I hate to say it but at the moment GTR2 and GTL beat LFS in the sound depertment even if they are miles behind in others.
no more patch collections? :_( I used to save all patches on my disk.

Could be nice to save a zip file with version after autoupdate
Could be useful for deinstalling a patch or use an older version.

EDIT autoupdate, not autoupload
Quote from DeXteRrBDN :no more patch collections? :_( I used to save all patches on my disk.

Could be nice to save a zip file with version after autoupload
Could be useful for deinstalling a patch or use an older version.

Yes, we need a restore system, usually test patches are "buggers"
There should also be an option: "Notify me of test patches : Yes / No"
I dunno if i got some people wrong in here... but i had a 944 turbo wich uses a wastegate. And it is actually there because a turbo will always produce a lot more boost than an engine can handle if you don't blow of the pressure that is too much.

Some wastegates are controlled by a spring in the wastegate itself, some are controlled via electronics. The 944 turbo controls the wastegate via its KLR (control unit for "turbo related functions"). There's a certain ammount of pressure and if the turbo produces more pressure, the wastegate just opens and blows off the pressure that goes lets say above 14psi for example. It's basically to protect the engine.

This is prooved with the 944 turbo. There's a screw that acts as a "valve" in the airintake system. If you replace this screw with a normal one (you block the information about how much boost is running like this, so the KLR wont know (its a common test to see if your turbocharger is still working if the car produces not enough boost)). Now if you do this and your turbo is still fine, you will easily run pressures WAY above normal ones. And easily destroy your engine.

The wastegate is to blow off pressure that is too much, produced by the turbo (a turbo doesnt increase pressure "proportional", if you don't blow off pressure at some point it gets a lot more than the engine can handle).

I think this is way offtopic, but some people in here explained the wastegate completely wrong in my opinion.

Anyway, sorry for the offtopic...
Scawen specified not to argue things already noted, but since it's already started, I figure it might as well be done right.
While I have to admit I don't know for sure what the real life counterpart of, or the real life LX4 and LX6 sound or should sound like, and while the LX6 does not seem to sound exactly like it did in U32, it still sounds pretty much like a 1000cc motorcycle vtwin. It does not have the faster rumble of a 4 cylinder inline.
See for yourself: find videos of either Aprilia RSV1000, Tuono, Ducati 999/998/916/1098, or Honda RC51 etc, and compare their voice to that of the sort of inline fours you find in real life LX cars.

e.g. this caterham vid. While it does have a sort of potato like the U33 LX6, its four-cylinder rumble isn't heard in U32/U33.
Correct me if I'm wrong (Yamaha's motogp (or BSB Virgin) I4 or Ducati's V4 "big bang"s are twin-pulse sounding 4-cylinders for ex.), but I think that's the signature of inline fours which you can recognize in just about any sort of them in real life, except maybe the ultra-econo boxes that are muffled beyond recognition.

I'm pretty sure this specific feature that's characteristic of inline fours (and this can be applied to every other engine tune and config. in LFS) can be found with some tweaking in LFStweak/Mekanik... so it oughta be feasible for Scawen himself.
Off the top of my head, I think there actually was a thread for the community's best LFSTweak/Mekanik engine sound presets.

Edit: I got 6 and 4-cyl mixed up, obviously I meant 6-cyl when talking about the LX6.
Quote from axus :EDIT: I just put the LX6 sound file in place of the LX4 one. ROOAWRAWR Its damn near perfect if a bit too throaty.

Good idea. Does the LX4 sound like the LX6 now, or are there still subtle differences using the same file in different cars? In which case, maybe someone should try some combinations to see what improves what!
This thread is closed

OLD test patch thread, up to U35
(851 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG