The online racing simulator
Quote from zurdospeed :Hi, what is this new "lfs_restart.exe" that came up after the upgrade?

i think that's for the auto updater!

i think that lfs restart after a update, thats why he need that file

reintjan
This will be a cool sunday!

Tho I must admit, the sounds are good but.. they sound idd all very similar, which is a bit sad...

Keep up the work
Is anyone else having problems with tyre temps... My tyres are heating up alot quicker. I did a 2 hour enduro last night, 30 laps fine on the same tyres, with the new test patch I can only do 5.
Hmm strange, I had LFS open a moment ago, closed it and wanted to re-open, now I get this error:
http://sccabco.free.fr/up/LFSerror.JPG
I just downloaded the U32 stuff, unpacked it, putted it in my previous U LFS folder and overwrote that.

EDIT: fixed,redownloaded everything and overcopied again, works fine now!
Quote from [FuLLocK]JoK3R :Is anyone else having problems with tyre temps... My tyres are heating up alot quicker. I did a 2 hour enduro last night, 30 laps fine on the same tyres, with the new test patch I can only do 5.

Impossible because the physics haven't changed, maybe that happens because the skid sound isn't that loud and you slide more unawere of it.

And please people, Scawen just asked not to repeat these things what have already been said, he has done his notes. The "read the whole thread" is slipping again.

And thanks for the auto-updater info.
I'd add that while the inside-outside sound differenciation is good, the inside and outside mufflings both need to be lessened, especially on the louder cars.
The LX6 driver seat's level of loudness is about what I'd aim for, for the FZ5's.
i.e. the LX6 driver seat sound would then be even louder than is now.
Quote from Scawen :The reaction is fine! ...

Quote from BWX232 :Ok, separate but even more important bug/issue-

After hitting a wall with the RB4 GT, at Aston Nat. - the force feedback totally reverses and stays like that until you go back to the garage. There was no damage at all to the suspension, and as soon as I hit the wall (I was testing sounds), the FF reversed.
I tried again to see if I could duplicate it and the same thing happened every time. basically in a straight line the FF will pull the wheel to the opposite lock and hold it there.. If you let go of the wheel you will just go in circles with the FF pulling the wheel to the left or right, instead of centering the wheel.

That's no bug. It's rather a lack of damage information, as the F11 menu doesn't show *all* damage made to the suspension. If you have a frontal crash, it's actually the caster getting negative, so instead of creating the "return to center/direction-of-travel" forces it does the opposite. The flaw is obviously, that you don't get that IRL as by the time the caster is damaged/altered so much, the engine shouldn't be capable to run anymore
Engine sound
Sorry but car sounds are bad. Can be delivered official carsound remixer? I heard some good engine sounds. I would like them generate and put them in game.
This can be interesting for many people because i didn't hear positive opinion about new engine sound.
lol who else here thinks we have just absolutely destroyed redundancy here haha

sorry im responding late scawen, fell asleep

anyways, as far as i have noticed it seems to be only in the pits really, clicking on a car, if it doesn't load up fast enough it will keep making a clicking sound, setup, skin and so on, if it doesn't load fast enough it just keeps making clicking sounds; same with exiting pits, it will just keep going for a while

i guess if your not having the problem, load down your computer with some programs and it should
Black screen on exit, had to hit alt+f4 about 20 times to close LFS.
Updated to U32 from U30 last night, and everything seemed to work OK, but LFS lost my information and locked itself.

I unlocked ok, but I've not encountered this when updating patches before.
Quote from Scawen :The reaction is fine!

I've made some notes from the good posts here - there was a lot of useful feedback. You have to filter out (ignore) the posts that just say "the new sounds are terrible" or "U32 is very bad". Those people should just ask someone who has ears, if the old or new sounds are better.

I like the posts which talk about this or that car, or general comments that make sense, and the technical discussions, and some good guys have been commenting here. So I've had quite a nice time reading these pages so far.

Now, apart from individual sounds, which I will look at, it's clear there are some overriding views that have been posted and are on my notes :

1) Need more skid and wind (default and option)
2) Need a bit louder turbo in road cars (but not too loud)
3) Need a slight reduction in muffling of roofed cars
4) A bit less gear whine in road cars (but not totally silent)
5) BF1 sound is universally disliked

Now that's just a list of the most urgent things for a quick update. Please, NO-ONE REPEAT what they have already said, for example exhaust sounds of particular cars, etc, just because I didn't write them on this very short list! I'm not going to write the whole 9 pages of comment here just so you know I've read the thread!

Of course there are improvements to be made - though I shouldn't really need to say or acknowledge that, because I never said the sounds were finished, I just said they have been improved, and that is basically without doubt. It's a much better system we have now.

Thank you for the mostly constructive feedback and I'll get some of the most important things done quite quickly and uploaded for a test of the automatic update system.

Maybe a simple raw to wav converter? Please
Quote from Scawen :3) Need a slight reduction in muffling of roofed cars

I don't think this is needed at all Scawen. I think the problem lies within the people making the comments NOT KNOWING that the sound is drastically different when in the cockpit versus external reference points. People are saying the sounds are way too muffled, but that is because you are inside the car and a lot of things are harder to hear.... If you made it any less, then LFS is once again back to its typical loud engine sound that you can hear perfectly clear while inside a car, which is wrong.

People testing this need to hear the car from the cockpit, then see what it sounds like in chase cam. Of course the car will always sound better from the outside (have more clarity), but that's the way it is .
#290 - PSX
I beg to differ. If LFS is supposed to simulate a full racing helmet and fireproof balaclava, then maybe I can imagine it correct as it is. However, if I'm taking my lovely GTi on a trackday, maybe I don't have to wear a helmet (Tiff Needell doesn't). And maybe I would like to turn 'HELMET SOUND SIMULATION: OFF' for a better, higher clarity experience?

Listen to the sound clip I linked back at page 5 - FZ50 GTR in car.... 911 GT3 in-car..... FZ50 GTR drivepast... 911 GT3 drivepast.... there is a definite element of rasp missing and I'm surprised if you think it shouldn't be there.

PSX

p.s. link again: http://lfs.psx9.co.uk/FZ50_vs_911_GT3.mp3
Quote from Tweaker :I don't think this is needed at all Scawen. I think the problem lies within the people making the comments NOT KNOWING that the sound is drastically different when in the cockpit versus external reference points. People are saying the sounds are way too muffled, but that is because you are inside the car and a lot of things are harder to hear.... If you made it any less, then LFS is once again back to its typical loud engine sound that you can hear perfectly clear while inside a car, which is wrong.

People testing this need to hear the car from the cockpit, then see what it sounds like in chase cam. Of course the car will always sound better from the outside (have more clarity), but that's the way it is .

I thought I'd try one notch and see how it sounds. If not good then I'd leave it.

The thing is, it's maybe not that bad an idea to "open the windows" a tiny bit just so it sounds "better". Someone here mentioned they did that in their road car on the track and I sometimes open them a crack too on the road, just to hear more because the exhaust is SO quiet with all the windows shut.

Maybe we need open windows as part of the setup!
Questions on my mind an there about the horn cause i got the dukes of hazzard hard will i lose it if i put the test patch on.
Quote from Scawen :Maybe we need open windows as part of the setup!

Ahahah
Not just part of the setup, but separate controls like for the indicators. Left front window up/down, right front... security lock so the children in the back can't mess with it

Quote from faster111 :Questions on my mind an there about the horn cause i got the dukes of hazzard hard will i lose it if i put the test patch on.

Yes and no. You will not hear them anymore because different files are used now, but the old ones won't be overridden. Just send me an e-mail and I'll convert it for you.
Quote from Scawen :Can you tell me which button you clicked for this? I know you just tried to make a general statement but I've fixed some of the worse ones of those recently - I'd like to know specifics so I can fix them individually.

In the garage, when you click cars, I hear the clicking sound about 3 times... Can't think of anywhere else...
Quote from Scawen :
Added "all" to clocks mode options (off, real, virtual, all)

That's great, thank you

Quote from Hurts2bStock :good example of how painfullly loud a race car is from inside a ferrari 355http://video.google.com/vid ... q=ferrari+f50gt&hl=en

I think you are a bit mistaken. It's the F50 GT (race car) in front that's doing all the whining. The F355 (the car the view is in) is very quiet.

And I'm guessing the F355 was a convertible with it's top down - the more easier to hear the Ferrari in front and the easier to hear the loud wind noise.
Just curious: We have now some .eng-files, are they synced or could they theoretically be modded by some person who understands the matter?
One minor problem: On my notebook I hear the menu-click sound twice (i.e. if I click a button, it isn't "click", it's "click-click". Noticed it since U30, but as I said, it's nothing bad and probably a user problem
I really like the ALT+ things, so you can bind more keys to a wheel

thanks

The sound is a lot better!
(as in, you hear more informative sound)
Quote from AndroidXP :Ahahah
Not just part of the setup, but separate controls like for the indicators. Left front window up/down, right front... security lock so the children in the back can't mess with it

Yes and no. You will not hear them anymore because different files are used now, but the old ones won't be overridden. Just send me an e-mail and I'll convert it for you.

ok.
With all do respect, but the new sounds make me wanna stop playing lfs...
Don't think they're a step in the right direction.
Scawen did you change the file structure? I can see that I now have a "snd" and "sound" folder ?
This thread is closed

OLD test patch thread, up to U35
(851 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG