The online racing simulator
New version 0.6Q - Realistic mirrors, better controller support and more
Hello Racers!

Today we are pleased to announce a new update with graphical improvements, better controller support and more.

The main graphical update is a new system to simulate the mirrors realistically. Each mirror's image is drawn from a separate reflected location, so the interior mirror looks out through the rear window and you can see the sides of your car in the side mirrors. In VR and other 3D modes, a full stereoscopic image is generated for each mirror.

The lighting system for cars has been improved and your own car's shadow is now visible from internal views.

Multiple controller support is simpler to use and you can now easily select a single controller from a list of connected devices. Steering wheel rotation is automatically limited to the correct angle for your selected car.

In "Free view" mode there is a new "walk" option that allows you to wander around in the environment with the view point maintained at eye level. This was designed to help with our development because of the unique view it gives, specially when used in VR mode.

Read all about the update and how to install it on the 0.6Q information page.

- LFS Developers
Very nice ! GJ, as usual Wink
Good job again guys! Smile

Just a note that sirenfast and sirenslow get replaced with the defaults again, not sure if that is intentional, but I am sure I saw someone bring it up in a previous version release?
Great update with great features, well done. I enjoyed the testing phase very much and looking forward to do some more! Cool LFS
#5 - lfsrm
Nice update, hopefully we'll see more similar features for immersion in the near future.
Nice to see a new update Smile

I got to ask something: when I use virtual mirror, the real mirrors go black. Where is the "All mirrors" option, where I could use the virtual mirror and real mirrors at the same time?
Quote from pantiainen :Nice to see a new update Smile

I got to ask something: when I use virtual mirror, the real mirrors go black. Where is the "All mirrors" option, where I could use the virtual mirror and real mirrors at the same time?

I believe this is the reason why you can't use virtual mirror and real mirrors at the same time:

Quote from Scawen :There are some complications with allowing virtual mirror at the same time as real mirrors in the new system. Mainly because it is no longer possible for them to use the same rendered image. The central mirror is narrower than a virtual mirror and its direction depends on the head position, so it is not compatible with the virtual mirror. A virtual mirror would have to be drawn as a separate image.

It's possible but not easy and I'm not really keen on doing it. I can't do it for this coming official version because I hope to release it very soon and get back to the tyre physics.

Don't know if it was already mentioned or not:

When pressing F to view tracks, wheels and G forces, the central mirror it not hidden
We want an Arabic translation
Quote from RacerAsh3 :Good job again guys! Smile

Just a note that sirenfast and sirenslow get replaced with the defaults again, not sure if that is intentional, but I am sure I saw someone bring it up in a previous version release?

I did mention this before but I don't actually recall it happening in the previous patch. I think it must have snuck back in or the sirens may have been altered.
Quote from ABDUL02 :We want an Arabic translation

See here for the reason why an Arabic translation hasn't happened yet.
Funny thing is that only now i noticed that when in tv mode view the mirrors are black... Smile
Scawen, I think you need to point out (somewhere that everyone will see) that starting from this version, we no longer need to change wheel steering limit anymore in drivers, but should rather set it to maximum, and then set up LFS properly, so it will automatically match steering degrees for every car.

Wheel turn = same as in drivers (which should be set to maximum, 900 for G27 wheel for example)
Wheel turn compensation = 1

Because a lot of people used to have turn compensation 0 and had to change steering angle in drivers to match the car's steering, otherwise real steering wheel would turn freely past the limits.

Now the life is much simplier, but not everyone might know it Thumbs up
Quote from vitaly_m :Scawen, I think you need to point out (somewhere that everyone will see) that starting from this version, we no longer need to change wheel steering limit anymore in drivers, but should rather set it to maximum, and then set up LFS properly, so it will automatically match steering degrees for every car.

Wheel turn = same as in drivers (which should be set to maximum, 900 for G27 wheel for example)
Wheel turn compensation = 1

Because a lot of people used to have turn compensation 0 and had to change steering angle in drivers to match the car's steering, otherwise real steering wheel would turn freely past the limits.

Now the life is much simplier, but not everyone might know it Thumbs up

If you look at the following page: https://www.lfs.net/patch-6q, you will see this in the changelog:

Force feedback steering wheel turn limitation :

In your wheel settings use a large turn amount e.g. 900 degrees
In LFS Options - Controls set "Wheel turn" slider to match that
In LFS Options - Controls set "Wheel turn compensation" to 1.00
You should now find your wheel is correctly limited in all cars
the mirror update is a great feature, would be nice that you can change the angle of the mirror for a custom viewpoint as real life.
EDIT: yeah it has that feature too, and the mrt has new mirrors.
Quote from Yisc[NL] :If you look at the following page: https://www.lfs.net/patch-6q, you will see this in the changelog:

Force feedback steering wheel turn limitation :

In your wheel settings use a large turn amount e.g. 900 degrees
In LFS Options - Controls set "Wheel turn" slider to match that
In LFS Options - Controls set "Wheel turn compensation" to 1.00
You should now find your wheel is correctly limited in all cars

Ok, I missed that, sorry. Hidden inside the change log huh Smile
Quote from Sh1mbo :the mirror update is a great feature, would be nice that you can change the angle of the mirror for a custom viewpoint as real life.

What do you mean? You can adjust the mirror angles. Uhmm
Quote from Flame CZE :What do you mean? You can adjust the mirror angles. Uhmm

for example adjust the mirrors for a wider viewpoint, and minimize the blind spots,
Can anybody tell me differnces in vob myb cuz i cant seem to find any...
Quote from Tomislav531 :Can anybody tell me differnces in vob myb cuz i cant seem to find any...

FXR, XRR and FZR have higher rear wings, MRT has the "GTR" mirrors, and UF1 mirrors have been updated a bit as well.
I have just noticed that in the car selection screen that the GTR wings are still the older, smaller ones. The MRT also has the old mirrors.
Maybe I found a Bug:

As a NVIDIA 3D Vision User, the Mirror is displayed with a graphic bug at the right eye but only if I had enabled Mirror Antialiasing 4x.

If I turn mirror antialiasing off, everything looks fine.
Thanks for the feedback!

Quote from Rocket-Racer :Maybe I found a Bug:

As a NVIDIA 3D Vision User, the Mirror is displayed with a graphic bug at the right eye but only if I had enabled Mirror Antialiasing 4x.

I don't know what the Nvidia 3D Vision does, or the different ways it can work, but are you using it to "force" LFS into a 3D mode? If so, I would not expect it to work properly. Or do you enter a 3D mode using the 3D menu in game? I mean Options... View... 3D? In this case I would expect it to work, because LFS knows it is in 3D mode.
Quote from Scawen :Thanks for the feedback!

I don't know what the Nvidia 3D Vision does, or the different ways it can work, but are you using it to "force" LFS into a 3D mode? If so, I would not expect it to work properly. Or do you enter a 3D mode using the 3D menu in game? I mean Options... View... 3D? In this case I would expect it to work, because LFS knows it is in 3D mode.

Somehow I must force LFS into 3D mode, because 3D Vision only activate itself if it´s enabled in the nvidia settings under windows.
(Edit: Monitor goes into a special mode / there´s no manual activation)

If I choose then a 3D mode in the lfs game menu, lfs split my screen (depending on my option horizontal or vertical).

Maybe we need an additional option that don´t splitting anything?
Updated, upgraded and back on track with zero complications.

The new mirrors look amazing in VR, especially when your helmet wanders into view! Having been using the virtual mirror for some time, it took a little while to get used to using side-mirrors again, but it's way easier now that you can change the angle just by moving your head slightly...

Awesome work, Scawen, on what i can only assume was a real mind-bender of a task Thumbs up

New version 0.6Q - Realistic mirrors, better controller support and more
(244 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG