The online racing simulator
Adjustable mirrors are so good! I am a stickler for perfectly adjusted mirrors IRL, now I can spend more time than necessary adjusting my mirrors in game too!
Quote from legoflamb :Adjustable mirrors are so good! I am a stickler for perfectly adjusted mirrors IRL, now I can spend more time than necessary adjusting my mirrors in game too!

wassup legoflamb longtime bro.
Cool, adjustable mirrors.........
Available since "Mod: Fit mirrors" on horse powered wagons, and 2014 in "Farming Simulator"
http://www.modland.net/farming-simulator-2015/implements-tools/adjustable-mirrors-v1.1.5.html

Seriously, given the 'current, but for how much longer?' physics that LFS offers, where are the modded tracks, etc that the game needs to survive ???

LFS managed to limp by cus of VR, physics, etc but it's stupid to rely on this even 6 months out from now.

Great to see the update but I'll give it a "Done well, but could do so much better. Needs to apply itself"

Lets see what happens Smile
Thank you for creating the best immersive simulation game ever. Small team with lot of racing "enthusiasm". Is there any way to input rain, or to simulate rain on racetrack. That would be bananas Big grin
Quote from Racer X NZ :Cool, adjustable mirrors.........
Available since "Mod: Fit mirrors" on horse powered wagons, and 2014 in "Farming Simulator"
http://www.modland.net/farming-simulator-2015/implements-tools/adjustable-mirrors-v1.1.5.html

Seriously, given the 'current, but for how much longer?' physics that LFS offers, where are the modded tracks, etc that the game needs to survive ???

LFS managed to limp by cus of VR, physics, etc but it's stupid to rely on this even 6 months out from now.

Great to see the update but I'll give it a "Done well, but could do so much better. Needs to apply itself"

I got interested to quote your reply only, because once I did read this, I am suggesting you to go elsewhere from these forums.

Also, it is told ma....
Quote from Racer X NZ :Cool, adjustable mirrors.........

Keepin it real.

Release the damn VWS already or get on with a physics test patch. You will never reach 100% realism with your physics, call it a day and move on to something new already.
Quote from cargame.nl :The problem with the new physics is that it can be cheated, how I don't know, maybe the same like with the current physics; wiggling the steering wheel a lot.. It cannot be released if it can be cheated otherwise it's no improvement.

Welcome to programming and the world of computers. Electronics are not safe, period. They are created, designed and coded by man who is FAR from perfect.

Nothing digital is safe.
But if it isn't as safe or safer than the previous version, there is no point to release it than to frustrate the community.
Many mirrors and upgrade of nonsense and less fps and always the same cars , happened with the scirocco vw ? over 5 years ago we are to update the game ? ^ when a big change ? The only changes were rockingham and whesthill in the last 5 years , took the s3 with only one version of new track and over which we have s2 have to continue spending money and when you take s4 again spend money ? for a game that pormete and promises and is always the same? I think before focusing on the VR would have to focus on the players who are really active users in the game because sudamerica have a video card with support for VR is not cheap in Europe probably is but here not lack the will to live for speed lately is worse than ever there is never fewer servers and less online players if they do not make any changes I do not think fits a lot of life to the game!
Quote from elchapulincolorado :Many mirrors and upgrade of nonsense and less fps and always the same cars , happened with the scirocco vw ? over 5 years ago we are to update the game ? ^ when a big change ? The only changes were rockingham and whesthill in the last 5 years , took the s3 with only one version of new track and over which we have s2 have to continue spending money and when you take s4 again spend money ? for a game that pormete and promises and is always the same? I think before focusing on the VR would have to focus on the players who are really active users in the game because sudamerica have a video card with support for VR is not cheap in Europe probably is but here not lack the will to live for speed lately is worse than ever there is never fewer servers and less online players if they do not make any changes I do not think fits a lot of life to the game!

Good one! Tongue
Hi Scawen,

Many thanks for making these updates adding to the immersion of the game, long after I paid for the game and had several years of enjoyment from it. I look forward to future progress!
Quote from cupra M1K3 :You will never reach 100% realism with your physics, call it a day and move on to something new already.

If I've understood correctly and nothing's changed since, he already has the results he wants from a test rig, but it takes several seconds to calculate for one wheel. The problem is approximating it with code quick enough to use in LFS. You can have it now if you're willing to run at ~12 seconds per car per frame, but I like LFS a little snappier Thumbs up
Almost exclusively playing im VR nowadays, the 3D mirrors are a much bigger thing that I could've ever imagined. Great work. I do understand it's niche appeal though...
Yeah, we all know I need to get back on the tyre physics. I've started looking into that today, reading a few things, thinking how to start tackling the problems, seeing where I'm at, coming up with a plan of attack.

I think it's a case of coming in from two directions. One, looking in the code, making some notes, removing any code which is based on false assumptions, then coming up with good models to replace it. Two, at the same time, reading up on the elements that need to be modelled better. Plenty of testing all the way and extracting data to compare with real world data, and making sure everything scales nicely...

I will not try to aim for perfection. Far from it, the aim is to produce something that feels better to drive than the old tyre model for the sake of online racing. It will be a closer match with the behaviour of real world tyres, and will be based on reasonable assumptions and approximations, that can be improved upon in the future.

About the 0.6Q update. 3D mirrors were on my list for a long time. 2D mirrors really look quite bad in VR, as if there were LCD screens where your mirrors should be. Totally wrong. One day it just came to me how to do them. A half day experiment proved to me that the concept would work. As usual I thought it would all be done in a few days, but in fact was more like six weeks, with all the complications that came up and trying not to lose too much frame rate. I'm really happy with the result and LFS graphics came on a small step for everyone.

GamerMuscle has made a video featuring the new mirrors in LFS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKBNfJFNkUY
Thanks for your explanations Scawen, hope we can see the result of the new tyre modele asap. Smile
I love this kind of explanatory posts!
Yay! More info about what's currently happening! I love these, thank you!

And the mirrors feel so strange now that the view moves so much Big grin. I like it though.

E: Scawen, maybe you could create a LOCKED thread which would contain short updates from you? They don't have to be specific or delivered in a timely fashion, but when you feel like writing and when there is something to write, you could update us. It really does feel good to read your posts Smile
Finally some news about it, thanks Scawen, and good luck with it, Thumbs up
I know it's hard to come back on a project after a long time. Big grin

Quote from Sobis :Scawen, maybe you could create a LOCKED thread which would contain short updates from you? They don't have to be specific or delivered in a timely fashion, but when you feel like writing and when there is something to write, you could update us. It really does feel good to read your posts Smile

Totally agree with that idea, that would be very nice ! Smile
You mean sort of blog "Developement of LFS"?
Kind of, yes. I just want to emphasize that it doesn't mean he'd be required to periodically write there and the thread should be locked, less hassle.

I believe most of us enjoy reading these small updates.
I also appreciate to read this kind of post by Scawen as it gives us a much better picture of what's going on right now. With this kind of post it's also more clear as to why we can't have an approximate release date. I guess the problem is to improve/solve an issue without creating a new one in the process so this might take a while.
Quote :"3D mirrors were on my list for a long time. 2D mirrors really look quite bad in VR, as if there were LCD screens where your mirrors should be. Totally wrong."

Big grin now judging by the "Real Racing 3" mobile arcade game (with many real world cars modelled with great accuracy), you should keep the "LCD" mirror code around.

Several recent GT1/GT3 race cars have LCD panels in middle of dashboard instead of mirrors (probably also solving problem with rear wing visibility, plus lower drag without side mirrors). Smile

Wish you luck with the tyre physics, considering the last 5 years development of real world racing, it looks like you will have to soon dive also into hybrid/electrical engines simulation plus recuperation units, especially current F1 engines are sort of crazy with the jet ignition piston chambers (or how it's called), and the whole MGU-H/MGU-K things, to keep LFS "current". (as I don't follow other PC sims, maybe even to get into lead again? The "hybrid" simulation in RR3 is almost non-existent, the car just sounds different and has somewhat different accel/deccel.

The official "F1 2016" game should contain the hybrid units, but I didn't drive it to compare with the real thing (which I didn't drive either Big grin ).

---

elchapulincolorado: what's that part about money? The LFS costs about 3-6 GBP per year (depends when you joined), including S3. I do buy most of my computer games even cheaper, as I tend to buy only 10-15y old games from GOG, but still I find this price very comfortable. Actually I have bought S3 even when I don't have any HW to run LFS, so I still didn't see the Rockingham on my PC. Big grin (well, I have seen it, but driving with touchpad on overheating notebook is impossible and I don't have wheel, that's the main problem .. and I don't have time for games anyway, so I'm intentionally not buying the wheel)
Quote from Scawen :I will not try to aim for perfection. Far from it [...]

If you were able to even get close to perfection I'm pretty sure an F1 team would find a way to legally buy you. I'm looking forward to a significant evolutionary step from what we currently have.
I appreciate your development path update Scawen. I think once these tyre physics are improved and released it will be the second phase of lfs and help online racing again.

Anyway, it was nice to read and look forward to any other technical updates in the future.

p.s. VR mirrors are fantastic! Well done.

New version 0.6Q - Realistic mirrors, better controller support and more
(244 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG