The online racing simulator
Probably, but I guess we'll never know, because I don't think the family will release any information anymore.
The biggest stupidity is the standing starts, yeah on paper it doesnt seem completely bad as it is still driver related on who gets better starts most of the time. But they haven't addressed the issue of the fact by mid race the dirty side of the grid will be filled with marbles making it impossible to not fall down the grid if your on the dirty side.
Plus the extra wear on the clutch, the extra time taken, the confusion by people having to find a grid slot with no previous reference.

Just keep cutting the aero and upping the power. Remove car to pit live telemetry except for safety related engine sensor stuff. Oh, and make all the ERS power delivery manual, like KERS.
Quote from Storm_Cloud :Plus the extra wear on the clutch, the extra time taken, the confusion by people having to find a grid slot with no previous reference.

Just keep cutting the aero and upping the power. Remove car to pit live telemetry except for safety related engine sensor stuff. Oh, and make all the ERS power delivery manual, like KERS.

Manual ERS would be horrible imo, its a big chunk of the lap at available power it would be a huge mind **** getting used to it.

Best thing would be to lower wing aero to basically nothing and allow ground effects and wider tyres, speed would be around the same but terbulance will be removed mostly and mechanical grip will be huge.

This will allow the drivers to just go at it, and still allow downforce innovation to exist without dumbing down the sport anymore.
WTF Williams
didn't see that one coming
Quote from Mustafur :Manual ERS would be horrible imo, its a big chunk of the lap at available power it would be a huge mind **** getting used to it.

It's not supposed to be easy
Really a great quali session, I think we are in for one very exciting race tommorow.
A lot will depend on how Williams treats its tyres. Given the warm up issues the undercut might not work for Rosberg so he will probably have to get past on track.
Mercs will take off, they are struggling on the super soft and were around the same pace as Williams but they can do times 7 tenths faster then any other team on the softs which suggest they are good race pace.
#990 - CSF
One thing that just came to my mind is that because the F1 cars are designed to be so aero efficient there is not much drag and the rules have also been changed to address that (taller, narrower rear wings). In theory that has resulted the cars being able to follow each others more closely (more efficient aero = less lipstream) but at the same that has also killed the slipstream effect. So unlike in early 2000s the cars can now drive closer but can not pass without ers, kers and ders...

Quote from Storm_Cloud :Plus the extra wear on the clutch, the extra time taken, the confusion by people having to find a grid slot with no previous reference.

Generally rolling starts are pretty boring compared to standing starts. Out of all race series that I can imagine only the big fat oval racing cars need to watch out for wheelspin when the green flag comes out but in every other series you just smash the throttle and see who anticipated the start the best. I don't think the cost of clutch is that much important. Unless you force the cars to start from stationary using some electric motor the cars would still need the clutches when exiting pits. Unless you want the teams to push the cars to get them moving after pitstops. Not to mention the increased amount of yellow flags when a spun stationary car always needs to be towed or pushed away.

Fia could just make a stupid rule that any car that drives under 60kph can only use electric motor for that. That would essentially remove the need of the clutch (the car could just shift from neutral to 1 at 60kph) but that would probably require new powertrain because in the current F1 cars the electric motor is connected to the engine crankshaft and as such you need to be in gear to use it. But electric motor wouldn't need a clutch. Not sure if the starts would be as exciting...

I think the standing starts is good for f1. If I got my way I would remove all electronics from that system except antistall (stationary cars in the grid are really dangerous). No programmable clutches, just one clutch paddle and let the drivers do the starts.
Quote from Hyperactive :One thing that just came to my mind is that because the F1 cars are designed to be so aero efficient there is not much drag and the rules have also been changed to address that (taller, narrower rear wings). In theory that has resulted the cars being able to follow each others more closely (more efficient aero = less lipstream) but at the same that has also killed the slipstream effect. So unlike in early 2000s the cars can now drive closer but can not pass without ers, kers and ders...

Generally rolling starts are pretty boring compared to standing starts. Out of all race series that I can imagine only the big fat oval racing cars need to watch out for wheelspin when the green flag comes out but in every other series you just smash the throttle and see who anticipated the start the best. I don't think the cost of clutch is that much important. Unless you force the cars to start from stationary using some electric motor the cars would still need the clutches when exiting pits. Unless you want the teams to push the cars to get them moving after pitstops. Not to mention the increased amount of yellow flags when a spun stationary car always needs to be towed or pushed away.

Fia could just make a stupid rule that any car that drives under 60kph can only use electric motor for that. That would essentially remove the need of the clutch (the car could just shift from neutral to 1 at 60kph) but that would probably require new powertrain because in the current F1 cars the electric motor is connected to the engine crankshaft and as such you need to be in gear to use it. But electric motor wouldn't need a clutch. Not sure if the starts would be as exciting...

I think the standing starts is good for f1. If I got my way I would remove all electronics from that system except antistall (stationary cars in the grid are really dangerous). No programmable clutches, just one clutch paddle and let the drivers do the starts.

The Standing starts rule is good in theory as it allows another element of driver/car advantage to shine, but the grid has to be cleaned if this is a mid race sceniaro, as that side of the grid will be a huge penalty.

Also whats the point of the safety car? Its effectivly meaning every SC situation is now a Red Flag.
Quote from Mustafur :Also whats the point of the safety car? Its effectivly meaning every SC situation is now a Red Flag.

Red Flag means that teams can work on the cars. Safety cars they will not be able to.

Think of it like this: The last lap before the safety car comes into the pits is like the warm up lap at the beginning of the race. At the end of that lap, the cars will line up on the grid. Once all cars are on the grid, roughly 10 or so seconds later, the race will begin or the race will restart.
I'm actually watching Formula 3 European Championship at Spa Francorchamps and I can see a race, cars running alonside to each others and many overtakes without the need of some boost button or some moving wing.

That's exactly where F1 should go back to, a real motor sport without any driving aid and any artificial BS just to add more spectacular show.
We want to see drivers racing and not a ~1H30 boring endurance race with cars being kind of remotly controlled from the pits (save fuel, save tyres, etc).
Banning Refuelling basically means Fuel saving will always will always be part of the equation.
Am I the only one around here who gets irritated by Massa's overly used "YOU KNOW" line?
Quote from bogdani.cojocaru :Am I the only one around here who gets irritated by Massa's overly used "YOU KNOW" line?

You know, obviously, yeah it is kind of irritating, I mean, quite a lot sometimes, yeah well.
For sure.
Quote from bogdani.cojocaru :Am I the only one around here who gets irritated by Massa's overly used "YOU KNOW" line?

Bogdani, baby, stay cool.
Rosberg having issues... go #BOTTAS
This thread is closed

Formula 1 Season 2014
(1760 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG