The online racing simulator
Formula 1 Season 2014
(1760 posts, closed, started )
Quote from DeadWolfBones :For the record, I think Isaac was posting satire there.

Oops.. was said already,..

Unban seems reasonable imo.. if such posts as he made, cant be made anymore.. looks like Police state UK here. Seems there are better things to be busy with atm than adminning a forum and having the chance of making a wrong decision..
Why do we do what we do?
Replace the banana with a text "women belong to the kitchen" and cold water with a ban.

If men were better suited with hunting for food before the intellectual revolution, what were the women left with?
Attached images
1406308709329.jpg
Quote from Scawen :Well I am too busy to study threads which are reported as having misogynistic content, and decide if somehow posts are acceptable because if you look at it one way it's satire. Better not waste my time. I have work to do but I am not going to host a forum with statements like "women belong in the kitchen". That is not acceptable. It's not acceptable either to, for example, post a sentence insulting people of a particular race and then say it's fine because it's satire. Now matter how hilariously funny you think it is, and how everyone knows that you are really just being warm and cuddly, don't even post misogynistic, racist, homophobic content on our forum, or anywhere else. These things are read by the impressionable and they copy you. The internet is crawling with people insulting women these days. This forum isn't going to be part of it.

Bloody hell, how you couldn't see the total irony in his post is beyond me. Maybe you should leave the moderation to moderators you "employ" if you "don't have time to read the reported posts correctly".
No real surprise, I think Mr Fernandes has been clever here sadly...
Quote from Steven Seagal Is The Co :Why do we do what we do?
Replace the banana with a text "women belong to the kitchen" and cold water with a ban.

If men were better suited with hunting for food before the intellectual revolution, what were the women left with?

Good find that pic, and so through...

Something i tried to say in the Ukraine topic as well.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :To be fair, Scawen has been banning people for saying "women belong in the kitchen" for like 6 years now. I got banned by the same thing AGES ago, and it's been made crystal clear in the last few years that any sort of hateful speech will be banned. Satire on the internet doesn't often work unless it's basically prefaced or ended with a "THIS IS SATIRE" (or is on a site like Onion, which people still fall for that as being literal often)

Correct.

You may do satire in a room full of people who you know.

You can forget about it on a public forum, full of people you don't know, using only text, no tone of voice or facial expressions.

Quote from danielroelofs :
Quote from DeadWolfBones :For the record, I think Isaac was posting satire there.

Oops.. was said already,..

Unban seems reasonable imo.. if such posts as he made, cant be made anymore.. looks like Police state UK here. Seems there are better things to be busy with atm than adminning a forum and having the chance of making a wrong decision..

Here is what Isaac said:

"Oh and women belong in the kitchen. And if you're going to hire a female F1 driver just for money, make it a dead fit one, with massive tits. That way when she inevitably crashes because she's a woman, she has some good air bags to protect her."

No way is this acceptable. It's really far from acceptable.

Quote from Steven Seagal Is The Co :Why do we do what we do?

I am near to banning you now. It's the fools like you (who truly believe "women belong in the kitchen" to be a valid and reasonable point of view) who are at the bottom of this pyramid, and the level goes up and up to the top where people send rape threats on the internet, and above those the twisted people who actually have got it into their head that they can perform a rape and this will be acceptable. You'd better get out from the base of that pyramid.

Women "belong" wherever they want to be, just like the other half of the population. If they like to cook, they belong in the kitchen. If they like to drive a lorry, that's where they belong. If they are a scientist they belong in the lab. If they can run fast they belong on the athletic track. It is not for you or anyone else to say where they belong. And if you express such pathetic views here you will be banned.

Quote from CSF :Bloody hell, how you couldn't see the total irony in his post is beyond me. Maybe you should leave the moderation to moderators you "employ" if you "don't have time to read the reported posts correctly".

I read it correctly. It's quoted above. If you can't understand how that text is not acceptable on a fully inclusive forum, then... I'm running out of words.

Some of you had better go and read up about misogyny on the internet. Seriously, it's a real problem. There is a lot of intimidation going on and you should not be part of it.
Quote from Scawen :Here is what Isaac said:

"Oh and women belong in the kitchen. And if you're going to hire a female F1 driver just for money, make it a dead fit one, with massive tits. That way when she inevitably crashes because she's a woman, she has some good air bags to protect her."

If you have to take the quote out of context to make it appear unacceptable you're probably on shaky ground. What was the last line in Isaac's original post?
Why would anyone think that it's acceptable for Isaac to say something like that? Just because you are on the internet doesn't mean you can say anything you want and not feel guilty about it...I would like to see Isaac say that in real life in front of a crowd that he's not familiar with. There's no reason to have such behavior, it's immature.
Quote from amp88 :
Quote from Scawen :Here is what Isaac said:

If you have to take the quote out of context to make it appear unacceptable you're probably on shaky ground. What was the last line in Isaac's original post?

Directly after the quoted part, it said 'Insert more cliches here'.
Here you are. Seeing as now I am being criticised for moderating, here is the full post.

Quote from IsaacPrice :She won't get anywhere near an F1 drive. She surely doesn't have a super license for one, before you even get to the fact the amount of money quoted is toilet paper for what Caterham would need for it to be worth running her. Then there's the problem that they aren't even looking likely to be on the grid for Abu Dhabi. Oh and that she's nowhere near good enough, probably not fit enough to drive an F1 car even in the state they are now.

Oh and women belong in the kitchen. And if you're going to hire a female F1 driver just for money, make it a dead fit one, with massive tits. That way when she inevitably crashes because she's a woman, she has some good air bags to protect her. Insert more cliches here

I have now been told that apparently the last section is apparently a sort of imitation of Bernie Ecclestone and that is how it can be seen as satire. But it's not obvious to anyone.

Unless you know the poster very well and know the history of everything Bernie Ecclestone has ever said, it just appears as a sexist / mysogenist post. It's not acceptable round here and that's why Isaac Price is banned for 6 months.
It literally says "Insert more cliches here". The fact you take it out of context shows you jumped the gun, and now you begin to back track.

But I guess it is your dictatorship here, so if "guilty until proven innocent" is how it works here, than so be it.
-
(Skewon) DELETED by Scawen : spam
Quote from Scawen :I have now been told that apparently the last section is apparently a sort of imitation of Bernie Ecclestone and that is how it can be seen as satire. But it's not obvious to anyone.

Unless you know the poster very well and know the history of everything Bernie Ecclestone has ever said, it just appears as a sexist / mysogenist post. It's not acceptable round here and that's why Isaac Price is banned for 6 months.

It was obvious to those of us who pointed out it was satire...

Note: I don't know Isaac at all. I'm also someone who strongly believes in political correctness. Either you're being deliberately obtuse or you're just too prideful to admit your mistake.
I'm not backtracking. It's not acceptable.

If you imitated a racist, by posting a series of racist comments, that would not be regarded as acceptable. It is not acceptable in the sexist case either.
All I know is that along with the right to free speech, goes responsibility for what we say. This is supposed to be a more enlightened time rather than one in which the KKK was an acceptable form of public discourse. Life is rarely fair and if everyone who felt they were mistreated or missed out on an opportunity cried buckets we would all be treading water right now. The people who are in charge decide who they want associated with their teams/clubs/political parties etc. we just have to take it on the chin and move on.
-
(Töki (HUN)) DELETED by Töki (HUN)
That's because people are going on about the bad moderation and can't understand what this guy could possibly have done wrong. I'm showing you, so now you know.

It's just a temporary ban, I'm not putting him in prison. I'm just one of the owners of this forum which is designed for sensible people to discuss things, and for visitors to find as one of the sensible places on the internet, where idiots do not run wild.

You can't say racist or sexist things on the LFS forum, no matter if you are a genius cutting edge comedian or not. If you do, you will be banned. Simple.
Caterham (or at least the Administrators) have finally made the majority of their staff redundant - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/30074346.

Still looks like they're going to be at Abu Dhabi, although nothing on who will actually drive the cars.

Abu Dhabi is on same weekend as Formula E race, so don't suppose any of these drivers will be swapping over.

Maybe Toto will pay for his wife Susie to drive as an early xmas present?
Quote from Töki (HUN) :I can't see the point of banning someone because of the content of his post that got removed, then quoting it in your own post.

But when he is saying it we all know he does not mean it. Unlike that other dude who got banned for 6 months for saying the same thing. He was serious! The dude even said it was a cliche so it was definitely serious.

6 months for an obvious bad joke? That is bad moderation. But whatever we say scawen has clearly said he will not change his mind and will only keep digging himself deeper into his denial of being in any kind of wrong himself. When you are dealing with people who are this deep into believing they are infallible or incapable being in the wrong the best thing usually is to just ignore them and wait until their brain kicks in later and they see what has happened without the mist of anger and self inflicted frustration that keeps them fighting.

In the larger scale of things if you want to guide your community to direction that is polite and clear of nasty things you do it by having clear rules and penalties that are in line with the offense. 6 months for something non misogynist is like death sentence for stealing candy. It doesn't make people respect the rules. It makes people hating them.

It doesn't exactly fill me with confidence if any kind of minor offenses can result in 6 month ban or nothing depending if the person making the decision has a developer tag instead of moderator tag.
You guys have really serious problems.
Nothing in his posts was clear in any way. I don't even get the point why this now have to be discussed beyond the end.

Please for the peace of everyone. Close this thread. There is no healthy reason to let it open.
If there is a problem with some posts in active topic posts can be removed. If there is a problem with some users those users can be removed as well. Discussion exists because the moderator himself actively participates in it and as such encourages it.
Quote from Scawen :
If you imitated a racist, by posting a series of racist comments, that would not be regarded as acceptable. It is not acceptable in the sexist case either.

Disagree. The problem is when you accept it as racism, while something is clearly said in a certain context which is obvious to say something with a totally different goal than to start a racist fuzz..

It's why we starting to lose one of our national fests in Holland, the best fest for childeren in a year called: Sinterklaas. Nobody in this country has ever seen this fest as racism and especially not childeren.
Because there is a white man surrounded by many black people who are giving presents to childeren this is now seen as racism by some..

World is going crazy :S wonder how long it takes before I cant go outside in a white t-shirt anymore cause it might say I prefer a white T-shirt above a black one?

weird..
Scawen, instead of justifying the ban with strange methods, ripping quote out of context in the first place, you should confess being wrong this time and show real splendour by unbanning Isaac.

Quote from MousemanLV :There's no reason to have such behavior, it's immature.

It's the other way around. Children believe every single word you tell them while mature people should be able to spot things such as satire and be able to "read between the lines".
If you remove the dodgy posts then the satirical ones don't have any context, so could be easy to misinterpreted. That's why you delete them.

Imagine some young lass coming on the forum and reading it? It's Scawan's forum, not the bloody law. Some of you guys need an IQ tranplant.
Quote from Oliver Feistkorn :Scawen, instead of justifying the ban with strange methods, ripping quote out of context in the first place, you should confess being wrong this time and show real splendour by unbanning Isaac.

Thanks for the advice but I can't confess to being wrong as I don't believe that. We aren't having sexist or racist posts here, even if it is supposedly satire or humour. A bunch of sexist sentences *looks like* sexism, as was the intention (or it wouldn't be satire, right?). And we don't want anything on our forum that looks like sexism or racism.

Quote from Oliver Feistkorn :
Quote from MousemanLV :There's no reason to have such behavior, it's immature.

It's the other way around. Children believe every single word you tell them while mature people should be able to spot things such as satire and be able to "read between the lines".

There you go, some people can spot it and others can't. In this case, people who are good at English and know every quote attributed to Bernie Ecclestone, can spot the satire. It's funny for them, I presume. To the rest of us, on this international forum, it's a volley of sexist sentences.

It's so simple. It's not a police state. It's a discussion forum. You can talk here if you don't make racist / sexist / homophobic comments. If you do, you will receive a ban. If it looks like racism or sexism, don't post it, no matter what your intentions.

Now I am unsubscribing from the thread as really it's ridiculous that I have spent hours on this.
Quote from Scawen :There you go, some people can spot it and others can't. In this case, people who are good at English and know every quote attributed to Bernie Ecclestone, can spot the satire. It's funny for them, I presume. To the rest of us, on this international forum, it's a volley of sexist sentences.

When someone ends their post with "Insert more cliches here" you don't need to know anything about Bernie or be an expert in English. The fact that you intentionally removed this sentence from your original quote betrays your motives.

You may not read this (as you've unsubscribed from the thread), but if your justification for continuing to defend the ban is "If people only read part of the post they'd think it was sexist" then that's incredibly unfair. There are so many things which can be taken out of context and appear offensive.

Obviously you're not going to change your mind on this issue (the fact you don't even acknowledge what you've done wrong is very instructive) is depressing.
This thread is closed

Formula 1 Season 2014
(1760 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG