The online racing simulator
Rage incoming. "What the... I can't even race, all servers occupied, no free slots available" *rage* *rage* But yeah.. Fun Finally! I laugh at face to those who started hypocrisy about developers' bad communication and their statements which are not honest and accurate.
Next Friday beats early 2009 confirmed
It's a shame the AC MP is a steam piece of shit in terms of user flow. LFS will always succeed there it seems (as developers still don't know how to JUST COPY HOW LFS DOES IT!).
So true.
Oh god, I already hate that booking shit..
I see a lan button in the multi player. Does that mean I can host for my mates using something like Tunngle?
This seems terrible already, there are no servers with less than roughly 150 ping, and no servers which I can actually join (or book or whatever bullshit that is) unless they're empty. Booking seems a mess, 1 minute booking window then a 2 hour practice where no-one else can join? What's wrong with joining in Practice?
Can't join? Host your own server. It's not a big drama if you can't book. All you need is patience and don't sleep when free slot is available. After I installed 0.9, i couldn't book for maybe 10 min or so, but I waited and finally got a chance to book and drive a very nice combo Ferrari 599XX @ Monza.

I have to say MP is amazing. It's so stable. No jerking, lagging cars whatsoever :OO Only lag those cars of those players who lag themselves, but in overall many people have stable ping, so no jerking cars, when you overtake them, nothing unpredictable happens.
FPS is fortunately really good, in 20 server about 55-80 fps.
The booking system is a bit kludgy, but in an actual race, it's pretty nice. But that might just be the contact high of "omg ac + mp".

It's certainly not polished by any stretch of the imagination, but it is nice. We've had a few races form the #lfs channel. E30 @ silverstone, Xbow at Joux Plane, and E30 at Imola
Quote from dawesdust_12 :It's a shame the AC MP is a steam piece of shit in terms of user flow. LFS will always succeed there it seems (as developers still don't know how to JUST COPY HOW LFS DOES IT!).

Nothing makes you happy. Make your own game? Jesus. It's a beta.
Quote from Bmxtwins :Nothing makes you happy. Make your own game? Jesus. It's a beta.

That's not even a complete thought. That's 3 partial thoughts thrown together, and I'm being extremely generous giving you credit for 3 partial thoughts.

Never mind that it's pretty clear, at least at this stage, that Kunos is heading in the wrong direction for MP. The booking system is ****ing retarded.

Again, LFS proves why it's the bar standard for pickup racing, and it's ****ing unbelievable that developers choose to implement their own retarded systems, rather than implement an system that has existed for over 10 years.
Can't believe I'm going to say this, but I agree with Dustin, the booking system is not a well thought out idea. I have still not managed to join a server and I now give up, either the server has a 30 minute booking window, which means i need to sit for a full half an hour before I can join the server, or it has a 2 minute booking window which I miss, then the server either goes for a 2 hour practice session with 1 person in the server which no-one can join, or it fills up in 2 seconds flat.

Apparently it will eventually have a "guest list" thing which will let you join the server at any time, but that's only useful for leagues, doesn't help when you're just trying to jump in a pub server for a race.
I don't really care about this booking system, once you're on the track, it doesn't really matter, I played iRacing so I kind of got used to waiting. Not bad for a first release to be honest, but there's still a lot to do.
I only had issues with the contacts so far. Funky things happen even if you bump the other one slightly.
apart this shit booking system, racing is really smooth for an alpha mp.

it is so hard to make direct joint with spec system ? or scawen is a pure genius to making this alone lol ?
It's the whole AC Launcher => Game Engine concept that's flawed. NKP followed the same model, and AC just continues that legacy. It's more complicated to do it the LFS way, and requires good resource management to load/unload assets from the engine efficiently.

the LFS way is extremely obvious (as most multiplayer games have done it for 10 years before LFS the same way). For whatever reason, race sim developers think they can do it better...

They can't.
I'm running a passworded server for lfs'ers if anybody wants to have a go. No idea how many people I can take

Name: lfs at ac
Pass: lfsatac
Quote from Töki (HUN) :I don't really care about this booking system, once you're on the track, it doesn't really matter, I played iRacing so I kind of got used to waiting. Not bad for a first release to be honest, but there's still a lot to do.
I only had issues with the contacts so far. Funky things happen even if you bump the other one slightly.

This.

As long somebody can't join the server, it automatically makes system bad?Really? I think without that booking system there wouldn't be any chance of joining the server at all.
My first experience joining the server - waiting for almost 10 minutes,then when I hit join,it started to load,winamp got for some reason automatically muted and I saw just this:

Well,it was a server with 13 drivers in it when I booked,but then it loaded 40 cars... I could not do a thing. It was just like this pile @ 13fps...
My word, it's even worse than I thought (NKP) so I guess that's an achievement of sorts?

Oh well, it can only get better from here. Scrapping the booking system for private/practice sessions would be a start.
Quote from troy :I'm running a passworded server for lfs'ers if anybody wants to have a go. No idea how many people I can take

Nice one Troy....I was going to look in to hosting one as well. Is it easy to setup? What connection you running, so I can gadge what I can set

Fordie
I can set up a server on my dedi at the weekend, but being at Indianapolis Motor Speedway is more important to me today
Quote from troy :I'm running a passworded server for lfs'ers if anybody wants to have a go. No idea how many people I can take

And how can I join it? I see only track info,4 laps and booking 01:00,request booking is greyed out,I can only refresh players online...
Should be 3 min booking time, after that you need to wait until race is done.

Fordie, there is a "GUI" to setup the server, so it's pretty straight forward, check assetto dir in steam folder
After a lot of frustration I found a way to find at least some servers to drive on, thankfully to the "sort by" system which let me chose server when in booking - but you got to refresh a lot and be real fast to find a server of you will miss it.

Some thoughts of the actually racing:

* Most of the other guys have great ping, and even people around 150+- ping flows good for me. The ones above 200 or close to 300 feels like LFS online, a little bit of bumping about on track, but still possible to enjoy.

* Prepare to be wrecked, a lot.. if you think LFS drivebombs were bad just wait til you see what AC got in store for you But but.. best thing you can try to do is to qualify in the top bracker so you avoid some of the midfield mayhem.

* In reply of point above, there also are a good bounch of fair and really tallented drivers. I wish I could talk with them, but I guess there is a button or function I have missed, so for now I can only applaud for myself when I find one of these great lads I can keep up with.

* The joining system is retarded, no other words for it. It works, but they should get it removed asap and just make a simple list of servers with a lot of sorting options and instant joining system - at least beeing able to book while a race is going on is a must.

* There is some seroiusly wrong things going on when someone hit you or the other way around. More that ones have I been sent to an intergalaxic trip after a small touch by an foe or friend, and same have happend to others while hiting me. My ping is around 40-50 it seems (dont know if that is local ping or me <-> server), so it seems to not be related to my end.

So all in all, make a simpler system, giving options to talk / kick / ban and so on and it will be a good system. It really flows well in terms of lag.

Edit: How I lean in cockpit veiw btw? The keys are set up and works when in other veiws, but canot turn my head in cockpit veiw :O

Kunos Simulazioni - Assetto Corsa
(8871 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG