The online racing simulator
Quote from Da Hoe :

great watching that one with tv cam

Thanks Hoe, good to see you knocking about round here again

edit:
Also, as lazy as Boris is to not want to move one small file from one folder to another, I also am too lazy to capture and upload a high quality video to youtube, but here's something anyway : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re6bUVQgQz4
Quote from ATHome :I agree. I'm on a ATI 6850, so it's similar card, and I've turned off HDR as well.

HDR is so good looking it's unreal, so i'll try and compensate on other things if necessary, when MP comes along, so far i'm maintaining locked 91 fps.

@ sinbad

Thanks :P Damn that's some nasty sound there And also no hands, so wierd looking, have no idea how you people can immerse yourself with that
Quote from Boris Lozac :HDR is so good looking it's unreal, so i'll try and compensate on other things if necessary, when MP comes along, so far i'm maintaining locked 91 fps.

@ sinbad

Thanks :P Damn that's some nasty sound there And also no hands, so wierd looking, have no idea how you people can immerse yourself with that

The gear change animation is the only reason I turned the hands off, it's so slow I found it distracting and annoying. If anything that's the immersion killer. Like, I can accept the invisible hands (I have own hands) more than I can accept a gear stick being moved whilst the car is already in gear. Just as I would only turn the wheel off and never lock it in place as that would look way weirder.

Apologies for the capture quality . If I get to under 6m05 I'll do it properly.
Quote from sinbad : I can accept the invisible hands (I have own hands) more than I can accept a gear stick being moved whilst the car is already in gear.

Agree. It's wierd seeing 2 pairs of arms and 2 wheels in your peripheral vision.
I wish you could remove the wheel altogether. Hopefully the cockpit view will be completely customisable eventually ala LFS.
With the FOV set correctly your own hands and wheel should overlay the sim wheel and hands accurately. In my setup I only see a little outline of the sim hands in high g situations due to the view shift.
Quote from farcar :Agree. It's wierd seeing 2 pairs of arms and 2 wheels in your peripheral vision.
I wish you could remove the wheel altogether. Hopefully the cockpit view will be completely customisable eventually ala LFS.

But you do see the dashboard still, meaning your FOV is the same as the wheel and hands are there, but now it's just empty there? How is that immersive or real
The way i do my simming, is i get 'into' that car, the only way i can immerse myself, i don't pretend that all of a sudden my monitor is a windshield and that nonsense, i literally become that virtual driver, and drive from his eyes..
Match FOV, match eye pos, match wheel pos and size, match everything in the geometry.

In many sim setups, the wheel is placed too lower relative to the screen. Because the screen's central pos has already determined the correct height of your eyes, such a setup will always feel wrong no matter how you tweak the rest of it.
Quote from Boris Lozac :But you do see the dashboard still, meaning your FOV is the same as the wheel and hands are there, but now it's just empty there? How is that immersive or real
The way i do my simming, is i get 'into' that car, the only way i can immerse myself, i don't pretend that all of a sudden my monitor is a windshield and that nonsense, i literally become that virtual driver, and drive from his eyes..

But how is it any less nonsense to "pretend that all of a sudden" you are not you, but someone else in a virtual world?

I guess it's just a personal preference and no one is wrong, unless you are an eejit that uses chase view

However for me, seeing my own wheel and hands moving and then seeing a further pair of hands and a wheel moving on screen is distracting and detracts from the immersion for me, big time. I always, if possible, remove wheel and hands, move camera view slightly higher and closer to the dash and fix that camera so it doesn't roll around the car with G-forces. I like it locked so my own eyes have to adjust to the bounciness and not have some weird effect that would probably only feel realistic on a boat sim.
Fair enough, that might seem good with some getting used to, but it's wierd when you do see the part where the wheel was and it's just empty there..
I feel so disconnected from the car if i don't see the virtual wheel and hands..
Quote from Boris Lozac :Fair enough, that might seem good with some getting used to, but it's wierd when you do see the part where the wheel was and it's just empty there..
I feel so disconnected from the car if i don't see the virtual wheel and hands..

Like I said everyone's entitled to their preference. I try to adjust the FOV and camera position so it's not too obvious that there was a virtual wheel there but can still see the HUD and place it so it's in a similar position behind my own wheel in front of my screen. This was really easy to do in LFS which I loved.

In AC I don't know if there is a way to remove the virtual wheel, so I just have it locked and try to position the in car camera so that I can't see it so well. It hasn't been a distraction so far although I could use it as an excuse for slow lap times..
I calculated my real FOV to be about 30° horizontally. Using that in-game isn't much fun.
30 degrees... Pretty big screen?
Quote from Boris Lozac :Fair enough, that might seem good with some getting used to, but it's wierd when you do see the part where the wheel was and it's just empty there..

This issue always comes up whenever the cockpit vs bumper view debate rears its ugly head. For me there's no right or wrong. If someone wants to treat the screen as the output of a camera placed in the virtual world, and their steering wheel is the "controller" then that's fine, it doesn't make the game any easier. If someone wants to treat their irl seat as the seat of the car, and their screen is the window into the world with the cockpit drawn to the correct scale then to draw the steering wheel in game makes no sense, and that's fine too.
I think if I had a very high level of display equipment (or Oculus rift) I wouldn't see my steering wheel as a "controller" and wouldn't treat my display so much like the camera feed. I basically ignore "realistic fov" guides and find what suits me most. Probably the only way to be truly "immersed" is to "pretend" that you are in the car, but I don't really feel that's possible with triple screens, nevermind a single monitor.
Yeah i guess there's no 'correct' way of driving a sim, at the end of the day, it's a sim..

What scares me with Joux-Plane now, is that i kinda don't have the will to drive racing tracks now :/ I even dared to compare it to Nordschleife and wondered what is a better driving experience.. what the hell is going on.
Even better then RBR ever was, cause rally cars are so perfectly setup for those kind of roads, it's much challenging in ordinary road going cars..
You think too much. Just drive.
Quote from Boris Lozac :Yeah i guess there's no 'correct' way of driving a sim, at the end of the day, it's a sim..

What scares me with Joux-Plane now, is that i kinda don't have the will to drive racing tracks now :/ I even dared to compare it to Nordschleife and wondered what is a better driving experience.. what the hell is going on.
Even better then RBR ever was, cause rally cars are so perfectly setup for those kind of roads, it's much challenging in ordinary road going cars..

Finally got AC since .. two hours ago, what a phenomenal game/sim. First track I tried was Joux Plane with the P4/5, got stuck in a hairpin
But I understand what you're feeling there. But for me at least its partly because the tracks we have for now are sort of "clinical", and I don't really have a sort of connection to all those italian tracks.

btw, what a difference that flip size queue thingy makes

edit: in direct comparism to LFS the AC engine sound is a little unsatisfactory. I mean its really nice when you go WOT down a straight, but tip-toeing round a corner with like 20% throttle it sounds off, not fitting for the load state the engine should be in. LFS does this better. The gear whine on the other hand is really nice and changes upon load
Quote from Boris Lozac :Yeah i guess there's no 'correct' way of driving a sim, at the end of the day, it's a sim..

Of Course Boris IRL, narrow country B roads will always feel superior in sense of speed, danger and awesomeness department, compared to lifeless superwide, safe, boring tracks like Silverstone.

We need more tracks like Joux, fur sure, and hopefully KS and moders will satisfy our needs in near future.

Onboard Porsche GT3 Zeltner/Ze ... Sachsen Rallye 2013 Stage:lovies3d:
2-11 rocks at la plagne

now i just have to move on from surviving to actual racing

guess sub 6min should be easy for a good driver
Attached images
twoelevennn.png
Hi guys, this is my first video. This is a hotlap with the Ferrari 599XX at Imola Racetrack. The laptime is good but the video is very simple because i can't use Movie Maker really well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwP6FhU2dPY

In this hotlap all the Assetto Corsa driving aids is off, except by the traction control, that i use on the 7th level.

To save the laptime i use this awesome app : http://www.radiators-champ.com/RSRLiveTiming/index.php

Here you can see the current standing for this combo : http://www.radiators-champ.com ... nk&track=2&car=42

What do you think about my first video?

P.s. I love Assetto Corsa
Quote from kars19 :done!

Hey mate, you beat my lap time, hehe. Really good lap but i think i can improve it
Quote from m4tty :Hey mate, you beat my lap time, hehe. Really good lap but i think i can improve it

Tnx so can I but for now I am bit fed up with Imola. Grinded so many laps there with 458, getting 1:53 was pain
Quote from kars19 :Tnx so can I but for now I am bit fed up with Imola. Grinded so many laps there with 458, getting 1:53 was pain

Yes, the stock 458 is more difficult to drive compare than the mclaren, specially
whitout all the electronics aids.

My best lap was a 1:54.516
Offtopic but can anyone say why Netkar Pro was greenlit on steam?

Kunos Simulazioni - Assetto Corsa
(8871 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG