The online racing simulator
Quote from Gills4life :It is a pain in the ass, I only downgraded for a few games that wouldn't work on 7. Didn't seem like it was worth it now! Will have to get 7 back on I guess to play this now

I really can't believe that something is able to run on vista, but is not able to run on 7
Quote from PhilS13 :Everyone having trouble catching slides needs to read all of this and then start doing some testing

http://www.assettocorsa.net/fo ... s-and-perceived-lag.1481/

There is a known issue that creates a delay between what you see on the screen and the actual physics. There is no universal "fix". You just gotta find out in this thread what works for your machine.

Once you figure this out you'll have a new game...For real.

Thank you soo much, this was like an ON switch for me. Before I was thinking I must have completely lost all feel for sims, couldn't catch a thing after reading about how nice some cars are over the limit. Now i cant stop driving.

Anyone who thinks they may have an issue, or anyone who is struggling catching slides(more often than not over correcting when trying to catch any slide) try the KTM, cause is exposes the problem the most cause the weight transfer seems faster, I was always seemingly way to slow to react. With the changes it is a completely differant case, now it is just sooo manageable.

Seems to me now a good way to test is if you find the L49 the best car over the limit and the KTM the worst. If this is the case get your FPS above 90 constantly then limit your FPS ingame to something you can maintain 100%, NOT Vsync, then force Pre rendered frames to 1.
Quote from SAxor :then force Pre rendered frames to 1.

Is this done through some INI file?
Yes, well almost. It's in the dx11 cfg file in the steam folders iirc.
Can do it from graphics card driver aswell.
Quote from sinbad :Yes, and imho in the case of ABS simply "switching it off" (as if the car has such a switch) isn't as realistic as keeping it on a lot of the time.

the switch is called a fuse and on pretty much every car you can disable the abs by pulling it

Quote from Bmxtwins :Ok so my first thoughts. Forcefeedback is pretty amazing but lacks the transitional feel when understeer starts to happen (ie lightening the wheel).

turn off all 3 ffb effects in the conroller settings and it should give you a lot more indication what your wheels are doing
Quote from Shotglass :the switch is called a fuse and on pretty much every car you can disable the abs by pulling it

I must have missed the warning light on the dash

If the s3 tuned 458 is supposed to be the trofeo car, then abs should stay on. The standard car shouldn't have "fuses pulled out" of the box either imo.
Something wierd is definatelly going on. Went to do some laps, wheel not reacting, checked in controls, all messed up, hitting throttle is moving the steering slider etc.. Did a calibration wizard again, fired up 2-11 at Silverstone, and it felt like a proper track day car, immersion through the roof, while yesterday it was like Burnout Paradise..
Then switched from Silverstone to Imola, and the immersion factor went down a notch, still good, but not "i am there" good.

Same shi* used to happen when i was playing GT5, some tracks just felt right, while some it's like a completely different game, especially the fictional tracks felt awfull.

Could i be imagining these things, placebo, some tracks maybe have different 'physics', some bug with the wheel setting.. anyone experienced something similiar?
I hate the new silverstone, just can not get on with it.. But ive never really noticed a different feeling between immersion.
This is the guy from AC forums, he was explaining his experience with the game and the real thing on Silverstone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2zeMU3VeSo

What i think is, that we're still far of of this kind of experience in our sims.. The car wants to rip his arms off the wheel, you don't have that in a sim, he always have to do corrections and he's always wrestling with the car. In a sim, best laps are always so clinical, you can make your lap look silky smooth..
Don't know, i'm kinda in a state of accepting that it will never feel similiar to that and it's a bit depressing..
Yeah that's the problem of the force feedback being substantially weaker than the forces you can experience when driving the real thing.
Quote from Boris Lozac :This is the guy from AC forums, he was explaining his experience with the game and the real thing on Silverstone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2zeMU3VeSo

What i think is, that we're still far of of this kind of experience in our sims.. The car wants to rip his arms off the wheel, you don't have that in a sim, he always have to do corrections and he's always wrestling with the car. In a sim, best laps are always so clinical, you can make your lap look silky smooth..
Don't know, i'm kinda in a state of accepting that it will never feel similiar to that and it's a bit depressing..

It's already possible, at a price...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-IChA-NIeY
Quote from sinbad :Yes, well almost. It's in the dx11 cfg file in the steam folders iirc.

Just came :hyper: I thought i've already did change that in some of the INI files. I haven't, the line is "Maximum Frame Latency", default is 0, WHY IN GODS NAME is that default, cause setting it to 1 is a completely different thing! I thought i was catching slides, NOW i'm catching slides.
Seriously, it's like on purposse they made default settings completely wrong?

You can do it in Nvidia control panel too, it's max prerendered frames, but there's no such option for ATI cards so the best way is through this .ini file.
Game changer this is..
Quote from Boris Lozac :Just came :hyper: I thought i've already did change that in some of the INI files. I haven't, the line is "Maximum Frame Latency", default is 0, WHY IN GODS NAME is that default, cause setting it to 1 is a completely different thing! I thought i was catching slides, NOW i'm catching slides.
Seriously, it's like on purposse they made default settings completely wrong?

You can do it in Nvidia control panel too, it's max prerendered frames, but there's no such option for ATI cards so the best way is through this .ini file.
Game changer this is..

Doing this setting helped so much. There is now almost 0 perceived delay between my inputs and what I see on screen. In fact, it helped me so much that I've increased the force feedback from 60% to 80% and it feels perfectly natural now that I'm not fighting against what the car did 1/3 of a second ago. However, this doesn't help the fact that the F40 is still an absolute bitch to drive (which I guess is expected of an 80s supercar).

The directory to get to the dx11.ini is /steamapps/common/assettocorsa/system/cfg/dx11.ini

Change MAXIMUM_FRAME_LATENCY=1. In game, attempt to play with VSync off. If you play on your TV, check the manual and see if you can enable a "game mode" that reduces post processing and reduces visual delay.

The game feels so much more responsive and better because of this.
Quote from Specht77 :I really can't believe that something is able to run on vista, but is not able to run on 7

I think it was due to the fact that my copy of 7 was 64bit and my copy of Vista was 32. I needed 32bit to get the old game I wanted to play to work. Wasn't really worth it, but then I couldn't foresee that AC was have such an issue with my Vista! Suppose I would be better off on 64bit 7 so I am going to re-install it and give AC another go in the next couple of days when I get the chance.

I hope it works and I hope it will give me the sim-racing bug again. It is nice to be back contributing to my favourite forum, although all I've been contributing so far are issues and complaining
Quote from Gills4life :Suppose I would be better off on 64bit 7 so I am going to re-install it and give AC another go in the next couple of days when I get the chance.

You got a reply on the AC forums, have you seen this?
I got an email through about a reply from AC support asking me to attach my crash logs and PC specs.

My crash log folder was entirely empty which I had explained already and there's no point saying anything more unless it doesn't work on Windows 7 64 as well.
Well, you could still try that Steam integrity stuff as a last hope.
Asked Kunos what's the deal with that Max frame latency and why's it default at 0.

" I think the guys at nvidia,amd and intel developing the driver know better That is why it defaults to whatever they choose."

Not exactly sure what he meant, that it wasn't his choice or what..
Quote from Boris Lozac :Asked Kunos what's the deal with that Max frame latency and why's it default at 0.

" I think the guys at nvidia,amd and intel developing the driver know better That is why it defaults to whatever they choose."

What he means is that a setting of "0" means no setting, which leaves it up to the GPU driver. I don't have a working Catalyst anymore (stupid .Net), but there's a setting in there (and the nV control panel) to specify how many frames to render ahead. That's what Kunos is talking about.

Not hard to understand.
Well obviously it's not better at 0, as witnessed by whoever tried it..
I don't think I have the option in my catalyst control centre. Honestly if I didn't see controller input-lag in so many videos posted by the devs themselves I would be less concerned. Their whole attitude to these problems has been too dismissive, like "it's not our problem, we just make the simulator, if you can't control it it's no concern of ours".

Also, why do I need to "associate with Steam" to read the forums now? I would read the post explaining why but I need to "associate with Steam" to do so hah.
Quote from Boris Lozac :Asked Kunos what's the deal with that Max frame latency and why's it default at 0.

Surely rendering frames ahead will introduce a form of input lag, so it would be a bad idea on a system that can handle rendering in real time. Presumably on an old system that can't cope with rendering in real time it is better to get a steady stream of frames even though they are slightly out of date.

Or have I misunderstood how pre-rendering frames works?
Quote from ajp71 :Surely rendering frames ahead will introduce a form of input lag, so it would be a bad idea on a system that can handle rendering in real time. Presumably on an old system that can't cope with rendering in real time it is better to get a steady stream of frames even though they are slightly out of date.

Or have I misunderstood how pre-rendering frames works?

The default in the driver is 3 (which is what 0 in AC uses), so yeah you're basically right, setting to 1 helps a ton.
@sinbad

Quote from AC Support :Now the forum requests Steam Integration to read threads. This is a little countermeasure against users with pirated software.
When it asks for a password, you need to insert the password of the FORUM USER profile, not Facebook neither Steam.

Quote from DeKo :The default in the driver is 3 (which is what 0 in AC uses), so yeah you're basically right, setting to 1 helps a ton.

Ah interesting, will give that a go then!

Kunos Simulazioni - Assetto Corsa
(8871 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG