The online racing simulator
Grand Theft Auto V
(1980 posts, started )
Quote from farcar :The screenshots look fine, though I'm surprised that Rockstar would fall for the old 'forget to blur the background you can see through the car windows' thing (see below)
It really is Photoshop 101. Or, maybe a limitation with the in-game photo mode that may or may not exist?

DOF not working through alpha objects is like the oldest limitation ever, I remember you can't see skidmarks and smoke through windows in old LFS builds?
It's not really a limitation anymore per se, atleast with modern rendering techniques, but it can't be done very efficiently without wasting quite a bit of resources to make it look clean and sharp around the edges where the blur starts/stops and the car model begins.

But yeah, LFS smoke still can't be seen through fences for example even in the current version.
I wonder how much this will stand out during playing though.

GRID2 has no shadows under cars when you drive behind people and look through your windows.
Quote from Bose321 :I wonder how much this will stand out during playing though.

GRID2 has no shadows under cars when you drive behind people and look through your windows.

I'd be surprised if the blur effects were seen during actual game play.
If they're not photo-shopped, surely the screenshots are taken in some sort of in game photo mode?
Does anyone really care?

Has a blur effect ever improved a game?

It's GTA 5. It'll be 40 hours of tough-guy cutscenes mixed in with 20 hours of driving towards a blob and 10 hours of shooting people after you get there. What it looks like isn't important.
That's why games with 2D graphics are so popular. Oh wait.

But seriously, graphics obviously matter a lot nowadays. Sure, some blur that's not working through windows won't matter, I agree.
No blur will ever matter. Whatever you're focusing on should not be blurred, so if something in the distance is blurred it doesn't matter.

Actually if something in the distance is blurred and you happen to be focusing on it, then it will totally ruin the graphics. So any blur, anywhere, is a stupid idea and should not happen. Your eyes will provide all the blur necessary.

The only reason you'd need blur is to make screenshots look sporty so idiots say 'Wow look at that blur, I'm preordering this game with the fancy blur effect that I'll never actually see when I'm playing it, and if I do see it, it will completely ruin my experience'.

Honestly, gamers are such suckers. Let's see if they improve the gameplay at all. Removing 90% of the cutscenes would be a good place to start, because 90% of the cutscenes are too long and are extremely poor-quality cinema.
Quote from JJ72 :DOF not working through alpha objects is like the oldest limitation ever, I remember you can't see skidmarks and smoke through windows in old LFS builds?

The world is blured on the police car on the right. Unless the alpha layer sets a wrong distance somehow (reporting the distance between the camera<->glass instead of camera<->scenario) I don't think it's the limitation of alpha layers on DX.
Quote from thisnameistaken :No blur will ever matter. Whatever you're focusing on should not be blurred, so if something in the distance is blurred it doesn't matter.

Actually if something in the distance is blurred and you happen to be focusing on it, then it will totally ruin the graphics. So any blur, anywhere, is a stupid idea and should not happen. Your eyes will provide all the blur necessary.

The only reason you'd need blur is to make screenshots look sporty so idiots say 'Wow look at that blur, I'm preordering this game with the fancy blur effect that I'll never actually see when I'm playing it, and if I do see it, it will completely ruin my experience'.

Honestly, gamers are such suckers. Let's see if they improve the gameplay at all. Removing 90% of the cutscenes would be a good place to start, because 90% of the cutscenes are too long and are extremely poor-quality cinema.

You obviously hate it, so just don't buy it and you never need worry about it ever again.
I hate it already because there is no release date for pc.
Quote from thisnameistaken :No blur will ever matter. Whatever you're focusing on should not be blurred, so if something in the distance is blurred it doesn't matter.

There's no evidence that blur is used in gameplay, in which case your argument is redundant.
If you had read closely, you would have realised we were talking about post gameplay effects, like a photo mode.
Quote from CheerioDM :I hate it already because there is no release date for pc.

There's not a release date for the X box one, unless I missed something.
I wonder if they're going to make a version for that console.
The crap microsoft is pulling with that new console sure has pissed a lot of folks off. I wonder if the outrage extends beyond consumers to the makers of the games themselves?
LOL that sure would stop microsoft's nonsense if no one made games for it.
Quote from Racer Y :I wonder if the outrage extends beyond consumers to the makers of the games themselves?

Sorta does already. IIRC Microsoft has to approve any downloadable update to an xBox 360 game. This extra steps means that updates take unnecessarily long times to come out. I believe Dean Hall and DayZ (among many others) specifically cited this as a reason they could not release a xBox version of their game.
Not only that, but Microsoft also bills you $40 000 for each patch and its approval process.
Well, Sony also requires a "certification" process, but there have been games on PS3 that allowed user modifications along with Sony's excellent process of "Do what the **** you want" which enabled Valve to do cross-platform multiplayer for Portal 2.
My body is ready.
stfu jack
Would be lovely on the PC, I can count the pixels on my screen.

Also, I am a little worried about the driving physics, they look kinda crap (read: arcade). Did anyone else notice this? It seems to be super grippy and no more fun bodyroll. Then again, this game looks a little more fast-paced.
They are pushing current gen consoles to the limits with this game. Framerate seems to be better compared to GTA IV, there was one framerate drop when the security truck crashed into the brick wall, but other than that it was running quite smooth. At the same time they notably improved the graphics and draw distance.
Shooting mechanics look almost exactly the same as in Max Payne 3, which I think is a good thing. Driving physics - hard to tell, there is not much driving in the video, but it looks different from what we have in GTA IV, suspension is stiffer and there seems to be more grip, I hope it won't be too arcadish and/or boring.

Can't wait to play it.
Quote from Bose321 :Would be lovely on the PC, I can count the pixels on my screen.

Also, I am a little worried about the driving physics, they look kinda crap (read: arcade). Did anyone else notice this? It seems to be super grippy and no more fun bodyroll. Then again, this game looks a little more fast-paced.

Yes I noticed it and it looked like a mix of MCLA (awful low speed handling) and GTA III to SA era (over responsive controls). I'm hoping they can patch in a steering sensitivity slider, though you watch R* won't deem it important enough to look at, or their idea of a 'fix' will be to push it toward even more arcade.

That's the one and only time arcade is justified. Okay so GTA was never a high end driving sim, but....

EDIT: Oh and yes I played MCLA through twice. Low speed handling on that sucked. Anything at high speed was okay, but low speed? Forget it. Medium speed? Don't go there.
Except the best part of GTA4 was the car physics!
Pre-ordered for PS3.

Bloody RS and their evil methods of making me buy their games twice. :irked:

Atleast there's possible good news regarding a PC port. A year after console release.

Grand Theft Auto V
(1980 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG