The online racing simulator
Grand Theft Auto V
(1980 posts, started )
Quote from eddy678 :Is Franklin (the black guy) CJ's son?

no...if you would have looked the trailer you would know.
What the hell are half you guys on about? did you even watch the trailer?

It looks amazing, what GTA IV should have been like - looks soo much more refined!
Quote from Stiggie :I can´t believe what I´m seeing, Rockstar discovered anti-aliasing?!?!

I guess I was mistaken from those screenshots, it looks exactly like GTA IV graphics-wise.
Quote from Stiggie :I guess I was mistaken from those screenshots, it looks exactly like GTA IV graphics-wise.

you lads are wierd.
No, graphics are not as bad as GTA IV, but they are still kinda bad for todays standards. I know is not easy to do better when you have such a big city and that amount of detail, especially if it has to run on old consoles, so lets say they are good enought to enjoy the game... Can't wait!
Because graphics are the most important thing. Wait, what are we doing at LFS forums...?
Quote from Amynue :Because graphics are the most important thing. Wait, what are we doing at LFS forums...?

Quote from Amynue :Because graphics are the most important thing. Wait, what are we doing at LFS forums...?

yess so you can run cars into trains!
Quote from Bose321 :Yeah, after seeing the trailer I'm not thinking about it anymore.

Not sure if it will be available for PS2, cba to check atm. I have one, but I'm not sure if the controller is broken, or some hardware in the PS, haven't used it for years, bought it for GTA:SA when it was new. Haven't touched it since then. Some buttons are totally dead, some are messed up, they do different stuff as they should. X brings up the options, O the subtitles menu IIRC.

I guess I'll go for a new controller, but if the problem still occurs, I'll set this shit on fire.
They contain magnesium, so it's going to be a hot fire as well.
I think the graphics look great, relative to the hardware and the scope of the game. They're a marked improvement from IV, the draw distance is huge, and the map is mind bogglingly huge. Quite a technical feat if you ask me. People who say the graphics are poor, or the same as IV must have either taken the brown acid, or just like to complain.

The story looks like it will be top shelf (as expected), and playing between 3 protagonists will be very interesting indeed.

I'm hoping that they keep ramping up the realism in both physics and game-play. It's hard to tell if that's going to be the case looking at the trailer because it's all cut scenes.

One small gripe, is that the roads still aren't smooth, as you can see by looking at the double yellow lines on this screenshot. It must be a hard thing to do for some reason.

Other than that, I can't bloody wait.
Attached images
Screenshot.png
road surface poly count limit, that's probably it.
Am I correct in thinking that new video games have actually been able to keep a pretty constant poly count over the past few years with advances in textures and shading? I thought that even the most amazing-looking new games would betray their poly count if you could see them without textures.
Shaders like tessellation and pre-baked normal maps can increase the illusion of high detail model dramatically yes.
lol it will get released on PC just like usual, half a year after official console release.
Quote from Mysho :lol it will get released on PC just like usual, half a year after official console release.

Even if it will be, I really hope it won't be a POS like GTA4. Some optimisation would be nice this time.
Quote from flymike91 :Am I correct in thinking that new video games have actually been able to keep a pretty constant poly count over the past few years with advances in textures and shading? I thought that even the most amazing-looking new games would betray their poly count if you could see them without textures.

Correct - here's a pretty good example of a character in a modern game (image credit here: http://www.maxforums.org/threa ... grotey_finished/0001.aspx ):

The general process is that the artist will create a low poly mesh of the character (image 2). They then load this into a 3D sculpting tool which hugely increases the polycount (to the order of hundreds of millions of polys) but allows the artist to work pretty much as if they were sculpting in clay. They can add as much as detail as they like here and the result is image 1 - all the detail in this image is polygons, none of it is textures.
The sculpting tool then compares the high detail model with the low detail model and creates a 'Normal Map'. This is essentially a texture which, instead of storing colour at each pixel, it stores the difference in the angle of the surface between the low poly and the high poly version.

The result when the normal map is applied to the low-poly model is image 3; pretty much indistinguishable from the high poly model but thousands of times simpler and faster to render.

The only parts that really show it's low poly at all are the edges of the model where the polygon angles give it away (look at the creature's back and the top of it's front leg). This can be reduced with tesselation, where the graphics card dynamically adds extra polygons at the edges of the model to smooth out sharp angles.
Quote from Mysho :lol it will get released on PC just like usual, half a year after official console release.

^ The ongoing panic among some people is just funny.

It will be calmed down soon, i heard IGN (iirc) is going to release interview with Dan Houser, who will speak also on this topic.
Huh, usually they do it the other way around, sculpt the model, then retopo (based on the complexity via hand/automaticaly (computers just can't beat a good artist)), then baking all the maps.

Bump, Perralax, Normalmaps etc. are great to fake geometry details. However the closer you get to them, the more the illusion gets broken (note how the bricks look nice an all but the sharper the angle gets to a polygon, the flatter the cube looks).

Tessellation is a great workaround, however the computer doesn't know where extra geometry is needed and just throws extra polygons everywhere. These then get displaced via a texture with black and white values that tell the pc to put then higher/lower/at the same height as the others.
While this takes less processing power then real geometry, it takes a hit that is to big for consoles and you usually don't see it there.

(Waits for unlimeted detail)
Quote from John5200 :Huh, usually they do it the other way around, sculpt the model, then retopo (based on the complexity via hand/automaticaly (computers just can't beat a good artist)), then baking all the maps.

Well yes, you need to retopo the original base model to better fit the new geometry of the high-poly, but I left that part out due to this being a forum post about the fact that you can use textures to fake detail, not a ZBrush tutorial

Grand Theft Auto V
(1980 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG