The online racing simulator
DayZ - Arma 2 Zombie Mod
(487 posts, started )
How are the latest patch zombies? I've not played yet, but I've been told they have much better vision and hearing now?
Yeah the zombies can see you from much further away. 1.7.2 does have a lot of problems with server connections and de-sync from the main server too. I was playing with a couple of friends, went from Elektro to somewhere north via all the small towns getting supplies, had some decent stuff (AK + ammo, many tins of beans, binos etc), disconnected, came back to it a few hours later and I was back to where I was before the previous session. About an hour of supply gathering gone Back to my enfield with 3 bullets left in it.

Just downloaded the hotfix (1.7.2.1) which is experimental, makes you start again from the beach, but at the point I'm at it'll take me 20 minutes to get back to having what I had after the loss of equipment. But hopefully it allows easier connections to servers and fixes the de-sync issues. Will report back later.

Suppose my advice would be stick with 1.7.1.5 for now until the 1.7.2 issues are fixed.
My mates have bought a server, UK120 (not the UK flag one, it's the one on Recruit, based in Switzerland or the Nederlands I think), so far it's the most violent server I've ever played on, at one point there were at least 3 groups of 4 or 5 people fighting around Cherno, it has calmed down since then though.
Had a few hours on 1.7.2 and seemed relatively fine on my end. Loading and character generation took a few minutes on rush hour. My friend on same server told he had lots of strange lag spikes and quite random AI behaviour and sudden death though, so not sure what's going on.

I like the new zombie aggro/didn't notice much difference. Can still crouch walk behind zombies backs' relatively safe and haven't met any superspotting zombies. Read a few whiny threads on the main forum and was like "wtf, how are people playing this game if they can't make it through first town unarmed."
1.7.2.1 is better - loads first time for me. I didn't respawn at the beach like the experimental patch thread said I would, so still had all my equipment - was actually at the point I was at 1.7.1.5, not the 1.7.2 location I ended up at. :\
ARMA 2: Combined Operations is 20% off at the moment on Steam.

Might want to see if it goes on a daily deal though.

Edit - Steam version 25% off on the official store. Comes out at 14.99, so 5 pounds cheaper than on Steam. Not sure how it converts for other currencies.
steam, whyunoupdate my arma 2?
i dont really like day-z much.. too glitchy for me, the zombies are just stupid
Quote from xtraction :the zombies are just stupid

Some might say that's one of the defining characteristics of zombies.
I'll be buying it to

Add me:

kevcor959
Spankmeyer
Mustangman759
Nathan246
me and spanky just killed a few zombies after finding me an ak74, was some proper dayz We can help you get loaded to later
Cool man.
Both Arma's are now downloading through steam... grrr takes to fcking long
anyone need 2 clips of ammo for a m249? picked some up
Lol just died for the 2nd time. Kept running for ages but the Z's don't think to give up running. Got stuck, got beaten up and they left me to die. Had no more bandages etc... Again we go..
Again, add me on steam
kevcor959, team up!
Bough this game some days ago, but have not yet tested it well.
One of the thing that first catched my eyes was the huge amount of keybindings for everything. I see they have it's uses, so I guess I just have to take some time remembering all of them.
Also the looting and bagging systems seems horrible, but I can endura that.

Any advices to a complete knoble?
Where should I go?
As far as I know cities are good place to find loot, but at same time it's involves high risks due to the zombies and other players.
The "deer stands" as they call it (image) are a good place to find weapons etc... Found one when running away from zombies (they cannot climb) but there was nothing

Ah thanks for the advivce mate, now I won't have to suicide run in the town to find some cool stuff

By the way, how much have you people played this mod / game so far?
Haha! Don't normal walk either in towns, but crouch. Changes then are dramaticly lower to get detected by zombies!

Just played it for an hour yesterday...
What about crawling, does that make you undectable from the zoombies? Problem is that it takes ****ing ages to get anywhere
Quote from The Very End :Ah thanks for the advivce mate, now I won't have to suicide run in the town to find some cool stuff

By the way, how much have you people played this mod / game so far?

F'king ages!

My character is onto day 8, my longest surviving character so far. Currently right at the north edge of the map with a friend, been through NE airfield and he found an AK with loads of ammo, debating NW airfield, or just going into the towns near it. All I have is MP5SD with 1 mag and a revolver with 1 mag. Plenty food and stuff though.
I had a gaming session over the weekend where I played only DayZ and haven't had as much fun gaming for a while. Think tonight I will attempt a serious attempt at surviving as it's being a lot of trial and error at the moment while I got used to the game. Have a few tips for any newbie's.

1. If you see another player, treat him as hostile. I generally trust no one and operate as a lone wolf, I stay away from other players but if someone comes from behind me with an axe drawn...you better believe I'm going to fire before he gets a chance to say anything.

2. A hatchet is a better weapon than a gun when doing raids into towns imo. Yes this does mean you have to get up close and nasty with the zombies, but the generally idea is you stay away from them in the first place. However if the worst comes to the worst, then a hatchet will dispose of the zombie without alerting nearby zombies unlike a couple of shots fired from a gun.

3. Crawling seems to avoid detection from nearby zombies.....however I've noticed that they sometimes seem to follow the same path you have taken. Unsure if they detect you from a certain distance away when crawling, not sure I want to try to be honest.

4. Zombies chasing you, well I fell bad for you son, but don't expect help from anyone else, even some 'friends' have been know to use this to their advantage and sneak into town as you do your best impression of Usain Bolt in the Olympics. However there are a few things you can try such as running indoors, hangers offer the best space or into residential houses with 2 exits.....never go into a single exit building unless you have means to defend yourself. If you've bolted out of the city and they still are chasing you then look for a body of water to swim across, seems like the zombies never got their swimming proficiency badges.
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :
4. Zombies chasing you, well I fell bad for you son, but don't expect help from anyone else, even some 'friends' have been know to use this to their advantage and sneak into town as you do your best impression of Usain Bolt in the Olympics. However there are a few things you can try such as running indoors, hangers offer the best space or into residential houses with 2 exits.....never go into a single exit building unless you have means to defend yourself. If you've bolted out of the city and they still are chasing you then look for a body of water to swim across, seems like the zombies never got their swimming proficiency badges.

Swimming is a bad idea. You lose your bag and lots of stuff that way.
Quote from BlakjeKaas :Swimming is a bad idea. You lose your bag and lots of stuff that way.

True, but considering the alternative is being munched on by a few Zombies or being shot in the leg by other players so you can be the buffet while they sneak by, I'll take to the water. Besides while you may lose equipment on you, noticed that if it's in your bag then it seems to say.
Quote from Scrabby :The "deer stands" as they call it (image) are a good place to find weapons etc... Found one when running away from zombies (they cannot climb) but there was nothing

http://dayzdb.com/map#3.081.130
that should help TVE a bit :P
You can outrun zombies, you just need to run halfway across the map to do it.
I'm not sure when they stopped chasing me, but I got most of the way from Elektro to Kozlovka before I stopped to check, and they were gone

DayZ - Arma 2 Zombie Mod
(487 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG