The online racing simulator
Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
woo, on the road from the 12th.. aftering owning it a year.

Adrian flux only wanted £650 to insure it, 25years old, 2 years ncb

My new wheels arrive for it Monday, 18x9.75 et20

Spot the difference...

Before:

After:
Oh and also, manned up and started stripping down the engine on the Rover to see if I could find out why it wasn't working (it doesn't start)...

Before:

After:

Fairly sure one of the spark plugs isn't meant to be covered in oil...

oil looks alright though
Noticed an improvement in the braking Jack?

I must say the bigger brakes on the S3 to the standard A3's/MK4 golfs is huge, 200kg heavier car still stops 10x better.
Quote from Bawbag :Noticed an improvement in the braking Jack?

I'm going to be honest, not really - the standard brakes were good, these just let ABS kick in at a higher speed!

286mm vs 325mm

(and yes i'm fully aware it was therefore totally pointless, a waste of money and a way of increasing unsprung mass - oh well)
Went out to a club last night to see tommyknocker, interesting night

the club is located in the middle of perth city(bulk cops EVERYWHERE along the club strip)

4am rolls around and everywhere dies down a little bit...group of friends are getting a tad bored and we peer pressure a mate to rip a skid in his daily in the middle of perth city..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtZ24ccvxLE
HYUNDAI POWAH! (He drives a pretty nice turbo FC usually)
Quote from Jakg :Spot the difference...

Before:

After:

Looks like you made it dirty.

Oh yeah, and your brakes are swollen.

I bought a 2012 Ford Fiesta for the lady, to go along with the Honda Fit I've got. Next is a motorcycle to replace my scooter.
I don't know why I'm installing a tachometer for a 1.3L, but for the extra economics, but because I can, I can.

Perhaps because I'm upgrading to a 1.8 GTi maybe?
Attached images
IMG_20120607_214649.jpg
IMG_20120607_214711.jpg
Quote from nikopdr :I don't know why I'm installing a tachometer for a 1.3L, but for the extra economics, but because I can, I can.

Perhaps because I'm upgrading to a 1.8 GTi maybe?

Aren't engine mounts placed different on 1.3 and 1.6/1.8 engines? You'll need to have some cutting/welding done.
Quote :No idea how it stopped, but I bought it as a non-runner.

Ouch, not a whole lot to go on. Even if it had a knackered piston it should still at least try on the other pots, compression sounds ok in the clip though. Any spark and does it get fuel pressure up? Would check the position sensor on the flywheel, they're magnetic and attract crap from the starter/ring gear and eventually get blinded by it, one of those 'make it stop' tricks manufacturers use :/ After that... feck knows, cut a big hole in the bonnet and stick 3 downdraught webers on it
Quote from KiRmelius :Aren't engine mounts placed different on 1.3 and 1.6/1.8 engines? You'll need to have some cutting/welding done.

You can just swap the whole subframe with engine, iirc.
Quote from Jakg :Spot the difference...

After:

I have always wondered about why people fit bigger discs & sometimes caliper spacers to account for the disc size.. if the pad is not covering most of the surface of the disc, is it not a pointless mod?

Below is an illustration of what I mean.. does this make it pointless?

Dissapates(sp?) heat as its a larger surface area...thats about it, wont provide ANY upgrade unless you are getting brake fade...which you wont on the street
Think of torque figures, kg/m or lb/ft, the same calliper on a bigger diameter disk will increase the distance from the centre so will have greater leverage, like a short handled wheelbrace will need more force than a long handled one. Depends on other stuff to though, greater piston area pushes the pads harder against the disk and so gives more braking torque. Heat is the biggest enemy of brakes and a bigger disk has more area to dissipate the heat so fade is reduced.
Quote from Jakg :Oh and also, manned up and started stripping down the engine on the Rover to see if I could find out why it wasn't working (it doesn't start)...

You did check the basics before you stripped it down right? Fuel, air, spark?

That oil over the plug could've been because someone made a mess when pouring, you have a failed gasket (on the camcover obviously) or the head or camcover has a crack letting the oil through. I assume you've checked for all of this. Also, it'd be worth checking oil level as we've had a car in that was filled to the brim with oil, which obviously wouldn't start but still cranked okay (that turned out to be an ECU problem and someone who doesn't understand what the check engine light means).

Oh yes, it has been run on a diagnostic programme right? You won't find a problem such as the ECU flaring up without having it scanned first. It can save you a lot of time.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :You did check the basics before you stripped it down right? Fuel, air, spark?

That oil over the plug could've been because someone made a mess when pouring, you have a failed gasket (on the camcover obviously) or the head or camcover has a crack letting the oil through. I assume you've checked for all of this. Also, it'd be worth checking oil level as we've had a car in that was filled to the brim with oil, which obviously wouldn't start but still cranked okay (that turned out to be an ECU problem and someone who doesn't understand what the check engine light means).

Oh yes, it has been run on a diagnostic programme right? You won't find a problem such as the ECU flaring up without having it scanned first. It can save you a lot of time.

There wasn't any fuel getting to the engine, but I only wanted to get it running to drive it round the side of the house, I don't actually need the car to work so I gave up.
Quote from doyal :I have always wondered about why people fit bigger discs & sometimes caliper spacers to account for the disc size.. if the pad is not covering most of the surface of the disc, is it not a pointless mod?

Below is an illustration of what I mean.. does this make it pointless?

It's a different set of carriers, calipers, discs & pads - the pads grip the full side of the disc (from edge to edge) - although admittedly it's difficult to see from the pictures!

Slightly better one...

Quote from Klutch :Dissapates(sp?) heat as its a larger surface area...thats about it, wont provide ANY upgrade unless you are getting brake fade...which you wont on the street

And yes it is totally pointless on the street - I will openly admit that. As I needed new pads, and the discs would need replacing anyway soon-ish it didn't cost me *that* much to do though...
Quote from Jakg :There wasn't any fuel getting to the engine, but I only wanted to get it running to drive it round the side of the house, I don't actually need the car to work so I gave up.

It is easy to work out where the problem is with fuel though.

Remove injectors form engine, with fuel lines attached turn key, does fuel come out?
If Yes, engine is getting fuel, problem is somewhere else.
If No, when turning engine does fuel come out of pipe when disconnected from injector?
If Yes, injectors need replacing
If No, disconnect pipe from whatever it connects to (I'd imagine either pump or filter), turn engine, does fuel come out?

Rinse and repeat, moving towards the fuel tank until you find the offending item. You could probably pinpoint it in an hour.
Quote from Klutch :Went out to a club last night to see tommyknocker, interesting night

the club is located in the middle of perth city(bulk cops EVERYWHERE along the club strip)

4am rolls around and everywhere dies down a little bit...group of friends are getting a tad bored and we peer pressure a mate to rip a skid in his daily in the middle of perth city..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtZ24ccvxLE
HYUNDAI POWAH! (He drives a pretty nice turbo FC usually)

real question, how do you pay for tires? you must go through them at a painful rate
Its called working.
Quote :Its called working.

Please be considerate of others with your replies, I find this language highly offensive especially on a Monday morning.

:P
Ordered 6 new tyres... Will be doing a demo this weekend @ Zandvoort Circuit.
6 sessions of 10 minutes. 12 new tyres will be enough i hope
one day i will be rich too.... *dreams* >_>
This thread is closed

Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG