The online racing simulator
Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
Quote from danowat :It was obvious, yet you stated you can't see the point in declaring non engine mods to the insurance?.

Do you even understand the logic?

Some companies as long as they aren't performance enhancing mods... Exterior mods, stereo's, aftermarkets speakers and such like don't actually have to be declared.

For example, say you got a stainless steel replacement exhaust for your car and is different to that, that came with the car as standard, wouldn't need declaring.

Yes, suspension mods etc... Should be declared and it's stupid that they make the insurance more when they are actually making your cars handling better, should bring it down. I know what can and doesn't have to be declared.
Quote from sam93 :Yes, suspension mods etc... Should be declared and it's stupid that they make the insurance more when they are actually making your cars handling better, should bring it down. I know what can and doesn't have to be declared.

But most don't make them handle better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And they're usually fitted at home or by morons, so the chance of the failing/falling off is much higher (even on a French built car!)
Correct, it's 316
Quote from sam93 :I know what can and doesn't have to be declared.

Except everything deviating from the standard order spec has to be declared - most things you declare the insurers wont care about, wont record or charge for, but you still need to declare them.
Quote from tristancliffe :But most don't make them handle better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And they're usually fitted at home or by morons, so the chance of the failing/falling off is much higher (even on a French built car!)

If I was to fit a aftermarket suspension kit. I'll get the right one, fit it myself, but then take it to a garage to get it all set up properly. Surely a 205s suspension shouldn't need upgrading as already good? Just get the right springs to lower the ride height. But that'll then make the dampers shit for the springs it has on it? As the dampers was made for those particular springs the car was built with, not aftermarket springs?
It's good to see more BMW here.
Quote from sam93 :See, if you was to prove a point, you are one to give an explanation about things. Yes I don't know loads at the moment but know a lot more than other 17 yr olds.

I woudn't just chuck any old stuff onto the engine etc... Keep either the original 1.9 engine in it and just do proper modifications to the internals, or put a MI16 in it at one stage. Standard suspension is yes, good. But if I had the money would put decent suspension kit on it, anti roll bars, strut braces etc... A standard what is apparently good fun to drive but I've only ever been in one with a mi16 in it.

I'm not thinking of touching the exterior though, just performance goodies and making it into a good car that will also be good fun for track days.

Ok so which part of your plans would an insurance company cover you for nublet? Erm, none.
Quote from Jakg :Except everything deviating from the standard order spec has to be declared - most things you declare the insurers wont care about, wont record or charge for, but you still need to declare them.

You would easily get away with stereo and aftermarket speakers in the doors?

I would imagine aswell, if you got a car that didn't have the say exterior factory options on it when bought and you put them on after, you shouldn't have to declare them? Because if they don't actually have trim levels (although most cars do) but just put the factory options on they wouldn't be able to know that car did, or didn't come out of the factory with those options on?
Quote from PioneerLv :It's good to see more BMW here.

Yeah, too bad it's not in the condition, it was when I took those pics.

In case you are wondering what I'm talking about - Well, the holes on the roads in my country(Bulgaria). Or should I say craters. Even on the highway, lol!
Quote from brandons48 :Is that a Chevy Bel-Air next to your R32?

Hehe, nice line up there

Not sure is it a Bel-Air, but it indeed is my neighbours '55 Chevy.
Quote from sam93 :If I was to fit a aftermarket suspension kit. I'll get the right one, fit it myself, but then take it to a garage to get it all set up properly. Surely a 205s suspension shouldn't need upgrading as already good? Just get the right springs to lower the ride height. But that'll then make the dampers shit for the springs it has on it? As the dampers was made for those particular springs the car was built with, not aftermarket springs?

Some would say both are miniscule changes that don't need to be worried about.

I would say that lowering it is bad overall, unless you can alter the wishbone and top mount pickups, as you mess with the geometry and camber recovery rates. The rear torsion bar needs to be upgraded to increase it's stiffness. The damping will be wrong, and it will be evident on a track car (though you might get away with it for going to shops). Sounds to me as being the easiest way to ruin the car. Standard is good.
Think about it this way. The XR2 my dad used to have was stolen twice in two years. Completely stock (he has never modified any cars) the second time the insurance company tried to make him pay for new alloys until he said they come as standard on the XR2. That is how much insurance companies are willing to rip you off. (the car was stripped both times)
Quote from broken :Yeah, too bad it's not in the condition, it was when I took those pics.

In case you are wondering what I'm talking about - Well, the holes on the roads in my country(Bulgaria). Or should I say craters. Even on the highway, lol!

Well, maybe our country roads are a little better, but still I understand you. Suspension hurts mostly.
Quote from sam93 :Yes I know. Engine is very dodgy not to declare, but things like strut braces, new anti roll bars and suspension, yes are suppose to be declared, but I can't really see why.

Just to add to the reasons why everything should be declared.

Someone ran into the back of my car a month back, damage was very minimal to the rear bumper. When it got assessed the guy checked every detail of the car, tyre condition, tread depth, looked over every panel, had a look under the bonnet and had a wee peak in one of the front wheel arches. All for a ding to the bumper... I wasn't even at fault, so why bother checking it all out? So if you really think you are smart enough to out-wit these guys feel free, but is it really worth paying well over £1000 for insurance, to find when you do need it they say void?

If you get a legit quote for £1200 on this van of yours then I'd be taking it out as soon as I turned 17. My first year driving a 1.2 clio was about £1400. I'm now 21 and my insurance is finally getting more sensible at £450 for a 1.25 fiesta with no claims.
Quote from keiran :Just to add to the reasons why everything should be declared.

Someone ran into the back of my car a month back, damage was very minimal to the rear bumper. When it got assessed the guy checked every detail of the car, tyre condition, tread depth, looked over every panel, had a look under the bonnet and had a wee peak in one of the front wheel arches. All for a ding to the bumper... I wasn't even at fault, so why bother checking it all out? So if you really think you are smart enough to out-wit these guys feel free, but is it really worth paying well over £1000 for insurance, to find when you do need it they say void?

If you get a legit quote for £1200 on this van of yours then I'd be taking it out as soon as I turned 17. My first year driving a 1.2 clio was about £1400. I'm now 21 and my insurance is finally getting more sensible at £450 for a 1.25 fiesta with no claims.

My van is all insured legally for £983.

True what you said though :/
Quote from sam93 :You would easily get away with stereo and aftermarket speakers in the doors?

Oh for sure - even the uber-anal Direct Line (who classed "debadging" as a mod that would void insurance!) are cool with ICE (although they wont insure the ICE if stolen)... but you should still declare it just in case.
Quote from sam93 :My van is all insured legally for £983.

True what you said though :/

When you say "legally", what do you mean? Are you the main or named driver? Have you passed your test? Are you down for 2k miles a year or something stupid?
Waow Sam, seriously, your on about keyboard warriors then your on preaching to people about how you wouldn't mind changing the engine and not declaring it.

Aside from the fact that your insurance will be void, what happens when the police pull you over and check out the car? Sounds retarded to me, I know a guy with a 2.0 in a 1.0 registered corsa and he's scared to drive it incase he gets caught, sounds great.

Btw, your 1k a year insurance quotes on the 205, named driver or what? Seems rather low for such a car for the first year, I smell some verbal. (Either that or your quotes are for before you've passed your test)

On the note of not having to declare everything, your insurance company is here to make money, so they will do everything in their power to find a reason to not pay out if you have an accident.
I doubt the police would do you for anything - the insurers don't care if you dont declare mods - you pay all your premiums, and they just right off any claim you make. Win win for them...

Also, if you are gonna not declare any mods, probably best *not* to brag about it on the intarweb.
When I've passed my test? I've already passed it. I'm on a policy with me and my dad as named drivers on my mums policy. Why it is cheaper. Loads of people do it in the first year. Cost to much to have own policy out at 17. Rates are stupidly high.

Oh... I class a keyboard warrior as someone who will give lip over a forum but wont in person. I'm most certainly aint a keyboard warrior. I'll speak my mind and back myself up any where so meh.
Loads of people do it, yes, but as your a named driver your not the main driver.

If you do more miles than the main driver (your Mum) your policy is null and void, much in the same way it would be if you dropped a stupid engine in there.

Oh and you get no NCB, too.

Have fun with that.
Quote from Jakg :Loads of people do it, yes, but as your a named driver your not the main driver.

If you do more miles than the main driver (your Mum) your policy is null and void, much in the same way it would be if you dropped a stupid engine in there.

Oh and you get no NCB, too.

Have fun with that.

Why I'm only doing it for the first year as for some reason my insurance is £1500 next year FC on the van... Dont know how much will be on a 205 on my own policy. This year on my own policy would be over £3.5k Not paying that at all. That is with no NCB aswell.
the best place to talk about insurance is your parents....they have enough experience with insurance in that area, and country, and can probably help you more then we are because we are only flaming you :hide:

insurance in general is basically a scam, but it can sometimes help you
Quote from logitekg25 :the best place to talk about insurance is your parents....they have enough experience with insurance in that area, and country, and can probably help you more then we are because we are only flaming you :hide:

insurance in general is basically a scam, but it can sometimes help you

Seeing as his parents are letting him front (which is insurance fraud) I doubt that.
Didn't you also front?
This thread is closed

Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG