The online racing simulator
Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
Somebody fancing explaining to me exactly what "fronting" is?
Telling an insurance company one thing, to get a lower premium, like it's your parents car and you only use it a bit (2000 miles per year or something), when in fact nobody but you ever drives it, and you do 25k per year.
Cheers for that explanation Tristan.

Jakg i don't see how is parents are letting him front?
He hasnt specified the details about his insurance policy, only that him and his dad are both registered under his mum? From what i can work out he's not actually fronting?

Although im not sure how insurance works as i'm only insured for my two 50's and they're both in my name, so i don't know how it works when you're under someone else. So i could be completely wrong.
Because his mum took out the policy and Sam is using it as his main car.
On insurance you specify who is the main driver (that word is used specifically) and who is an additional driver.

The premium is calculated based on risk - the driver being a factor. My Dad with 30 years no claims aged 55 is a much less risky main driver than me in my insurers eyes - fronting is claiming he is the main driver to enjoy the reduced premium, but then driving the car more than him.
Ohh, i was thinking of it differently. I was thinking that somehow she had her own policy with a car, and then Sam was just added in under that with his van.

I understand now, although to be honest it may be illegal but alot of 17 year olds do this with there first cars. Insurance is just too high for them to insure in there own names.

Edit: Thanks Jakg, completely understand it now.
Are there no companies where it's fine to have an additional driver drive just as much/more then the main driver?
Quote from sam93 :£1,108 for a GTI 1.6
£1,158 for a GTI 1.9

So they aren't bad at all. Especially really for the type of cars they are.

I wanna know where these numbers are coming from, there's no way thats on a single person policy for a 17yo.. no way in hell.
Quote from sam93 :Oh... I class a keyboard warrior as someone who will give lip over a forum but wont in person. I'm most certainly aint a keyboard warrior. I'll speak my mind and back myself up any where so meh.

Hahahahhaa, saying your not a keyboard warrior and that you speak your mind and all that bollocks is meaningless cause your saying it on the internet, just like the people your saying it too.
Quote from Migz :Edit: Thanks Jakg, completely understand it now.
Are there no companies where it's fine to have an additional driver drive just as much/more then the main driver?

No, not really - very few people drive exactly the same number of miles as the other person.
Quote from Migz :I understand now, although to be honest it may be illegal but alot of 17 year olds do this with there first cars. Insurance is just too high for them to insure in there own names.

A lot of 17 year olds don't declare mods, either. Doesn't make it right.

I hate insurance companies, but if everyone defrauds them, they have to get their money somewhere... me
my god you people bitch and moan alot
whinging poms amirite?
I dunno, you convicts do a fair amount of whinging
Quote from BlueFlame :I wanna know where these numbers are coming from, there's no way thats on a single person policy for a 17yo.. no way in hell.

Under gocompare.com with the same details I have on my van... So exactly same type of policy, just with a 205 GTI put on instead of the van.

I'm wondering though which companies will let you transfer bike NCB over though, as I have 1yr NCB from my bikes I had last year, so if Admiral will transfer them over next year, I'll have a nice cheap policy on my own one. But I'm planning on saving all money up this year to pay insurance off in one next year as I'll be in college.
Quote from Jakg :I doubt the police would do you for anything - the insurers don't care if you dont declare mods - you pay all your premiums, and they just right off any claim you make. Win win for them...

Also, if you are gonna not declare any mods, probably best *not* to brag about it on the intarweb.

If your going to change the engine an a car to a differnt one this has to be declared to the DVLA who will have to send you a new V5 stating these changes. I'm pretty sure that insurance companys have some sort of access to the DVLA's database, meaning as soon as the car is registered with a differnt engine the insurance company will know anyway.

So yea, my point is that the cars V5 document will say that the engine is differnt to the size it is, this is what he will get done for, if he ever gets that far.
Ah hadn't thought about that.

With an engine I can see the issue - but other undeclared mods wouldn't be a criminal offence? (although obviously there would be issues with insurance etc)
Quote from sam93 :Under gocompare.com with the same details I have on my van... So exactly same type of policy, just with a 205 GTI put on instead of the van.

I'm wondering though which companies will let you transfer bike NCB over though, as I have 1yr NCB from my bikes I had last year, so if Admiral will transfer them over next year, I'll have a nice cheap policy on my own one. But I'm planning on saving all money up this year to pay insurance off in one next year as I'll be in college.

You do realise that 1 YNB will barely put a dent in a policy for any car, never mind a 205 GTI?

Edit, I think there is Jack, because if mods make your policy invalid, then effectively your driving without insurance which is a crime.
Quote from Bawbag :If your going to change the engine an a car to a differnt one this has to be declared to the DVLA who will have to send you a new V5 stating these changes. I'm pretty sure that insurance companys have some sort of access to the DVLA's database, meaning as soon as the car is registered with a differnt engine the insurance company will know anyway.

So yea, my point is that the cars V5 document will say that the engine is differnt to the size it is, this is what he will get done for, if he ever gets that far.

I would declare an engine, I wouldn't run the risk of not... Struggling to get insurance and maybe even getting banned doesn't seem fun to me. I'll wait until I'm the right age that I can insure an MI16 in a 205.

Quote from Jakg :Ah hadn't thought about that.

With an engine I can see the issue - but other undeclared mods wouldn't be a criminal offence? (although obviously there would be issues with insurance etc)

I'm sure if they're not performance enhancing mods, they don't actually have to be declared, just best to? Not to sure though.

Quote from Bawbag :You do realise that 1 YNB will barely put a dent in a policy for any car, never mind a 205 GTI?

Edit, I think there is Jack, because if mods make your policy invalid, then effectively your driving without insurance which is a crime.

It wont help a lot... But it will still help a little.
Quote from sam93 :I'm sure if they're not performance enhancing mods, they don't actually have to be declared, just best to? Not to sure though.

Nope - wheels for example. I could buy a set of new wheels the same size as my current ones, but the premium would go up as it would become more attractive to thieves - and that car enthusiasts in general make more claims than non-car modifiers.
take it to pm's already..
stop typing in text type in JPGs of the cars.

FFS
blehhhhh.. needs slammage

....so it kinda turns out its hard to get the jack under it now
Waow a soarer! My old man used to have one, fricking great cars!

2.5TT or 3.0 or 4.0? Either way every model is good, lovely car to be in, especially at speed.
2.5tt

Modlist;
Full stainless steel exhaust. 3" Downpipe into gutted cat splits into 2.5" into magnaflow mufflers.
Front mount intercooler
Transmission Shiftkit
Transmission Cooler
Apexi Power intake + Cold air intake(Just aircon ducting from the bumper to the pod really..)
Exede Piggyback ecu
17x9.5 and 17x8 Apexi rims
Origin Bodykit
bee* r rev limiter
Boost gauge
Momo Steering wheel
Stripped boot

Bought and to go on;
Bride copy bucket seats
Seibon Carbon Fibre Vented Bonnet
TRD LSD

To buy;
Coilovers
Cams
Cam Gears
Dump pipe

made 287rwhp after a tune, with Cams/Camgears/Dump pipe it should be close to 330rwhp
Did a 13.89 at dragstrip with shit tyres (235's, bad quality, no grip) and spare+jack+sub in the boot
That's kickass, sat in one on the 1/4 mile which was a 2.5tt modded to 1 single bigass turbo, done it in 12.8 seconds, was bloody mean!

Our one was a 4.0 V8, only 260bhp, 15 seconds on the 1/4 which even was still fast for a car that would do 170mph....and still could.

Good stuff though, get some pics and vids.

This one allways pops into mind when I think about the soarer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnbEPPjt2BM
This thread is closed

Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG