The online racing simulator
Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
Saying "I kinda like the 914" is like saying "I kinda like my sister" - it's just wrong on so many levels!
I could write a looooooong post about all the different transaxle Porsche models. But i won't, because it would take way too much time. And it would be boring to read most likely.

Search for yourself a little. The history of those cars is really interesting to say the least.

Just a few quick facts:

- The 924 was originally produced with an audi engine. The 924 S and later models had a real Porsche engine tho. Many people call it the "housewifes porsche" and refer to that audi engine, which is actually only true for the first few models.

- The engine in the 944 is basically half an engine of the 928 V8 engines.

- The 968 was the latest model of the Transaxle Porsches, and therefor the most modern of them all. They stopped producing transaxles after that.

- The 968 Turbo S was a really impressive model of the 968, but produced only 13 times. It was still a 4 cylinder engine, 3 Liter with Turbo. It was faster on the tracks than its 911 rivals (even the turbo models) and therefor probably not produced in big numbers (didn't fit with the image of Porsche... 911 being the "top car").

- The transaxle Porsches probably saved Porsches life, yet they seem to not really care about those cars anymore these days.

-etc etc.

As i said... search for yourself a little, it's a really interesting topic.
Quote from LFSn00b :Check out my Ferrari enzo, its better than "your" Porsche
[Removed]

If you have anything important running on your browser, i'd advise against clicking on that.

I made the mistake.

But my Volvo beats both of those when you need to carry computers for classroom in car + week's stuff with you

What is best?
Thanks to the ones that crashed my work. I was at work at was aasked opening that link, I thought it was harmless but noo, damned thing crashed all my work and I got a warning from the boss.
Thanks very much ,,..
Quote from The Very End :Thanks to the ones that crashed my work. I was at work at was aasked opening that link, I thought it was harmless but noo, damned thing crashed all my work and I got a warning from the boss.
Thanks very much ,,..

Crashed my Firefox too.

Niko, Rick Roll'in people is old news after April 1st, give up.
Quote from mcintyrej :If you have anything important running on your browser, i'd advise against clicking on that.

I made the mistake.

Thank goodness I have NoScript running.
Quote from beefyman666 :Crashed my Firefox too.

Niko, Rick Roll'in people is old news after April 1st, give up.

Its not called "old news".

Its called "being a prat trying to make people laugh by doing somethign that was done a long time ago and wasn't really funny then."

Thanks, dickhead. At work and volume level way too high
mcintyrej and jtbo, could you maybe edit your posts so the link doesn't show? People might not read the warnings etc.
Quote from CasseBent :mcintyrej and jtbo, could you maybe edit your posts so the link doesn't show? People might not read the warnings etc.

Removed mine, i see Niko's is gone too.report button really works!

BACK ON TOPIC! This was about cars before we were interupted

I wish I had a car, if the Government go through with the plans to up the driving age i'm about 6 months inside the bracket for it so i'll have to wait another YEAR to get a license. Its STUPID! They think that making chavs wait another year will stop them racing about on the streets. Not likely Brownie - it just means they have to wait another year.

It doesn't benefit anything, it just makes things worse for all of us that will actually use a car properly.
Was the link to the rick-roll thing that goes around your screeen? If so just click the "close tab" button then hold down enter and it will go away.
There is a really nice (riced ) porsche 924 (or 944?) for sale in the neighborhood here. But it's got a big ass spoiler on it which is hideous, but you can see it was done with care.

I wonder how much it would cost.. And to put it back to factory looking. I'll try and make a pic of it.
Don't even think of buying a Porsche that has been modified (riced/pimped/tuned). They loose a lot of value with that stuff. And it's usually an indicator that the owner is a young guy who bought the car because it was affordable, but then doesn't maintain it as it should be.

They are very good cars, but you have to maintain them well. Otherwise it'll get expensive. They might be old cars, but trust me, parts for them are still sold for the "porsche price".

To put a modified one back to stock can be quite expensive.

A little example:
I had to replace the rear spoiler on my 1st Turbo. It's made from some special light weight material... which still wouldn't make it all that expensive. But a new spoiler (new as in, laying around in a factory since at least 10 years) did cost me 800 Euro, unpainted. And it's the same story with all the other parts.

PS: If you need information/help on those cars. www.pff-online.de is the place to go. It's a german forum, but they speak english there aswell if needed.
Water pump was around 500 eur IIRC.
Quote from Gekkibi :Water pump was around 500 eur IIRC.

These things keep me from getting one (944) as weekend car, keeping them in top shape requires surprisingly lot of money, however if one can easily afford that, then they do offer some driving pleasure indeed. Years ago I had opportunity to drive one and I liked it a lot.
Quote from JTbo :These things keep me from getting one (944) as weekend car, keeping them in top shape requires surprisingly lot of money, however if one can easily afford that, then they do offer some driving pleasure indeed. Years ago I had opportunity to drive one and I liked it a lot.

Well, I am "iki-teekkari". I'm not "that" rich.
I just try to minimize costs by not breaking anything. For example, oh-so-popular over-revving is certain way to waste an old engine. Other things are that I observe oil (Both capacity and condition) regulary and add cooling water if necessary.
General Lee, your BMW was your first car was it not?

If so, how much insurance do you pay on it? If you don't mind me asking.
Quote from JTbo :These things keep me from getting one (944) as weekend car, keeping them in top shape requires surprisingly lot of money, however if one can easily afford that, then they do offer some driving pleasure indeed. Years ago I had opportunity to drive one and I liked it a lot.

They are actually very reliable cars, if they have been in good hands. At least about the turbo engine, porsche said it is a very complex engine. This means if you don't maintain it like you should, a lot of stuff can break.

The problem with these cars is that they have been too easily affordable. Many young people who just wanted a cool car decided to go for a 924/944. But usually they just drove it until things started to need maintenance... kept driving a little more... then sold it again (because they most likely couldn't afford the costs). This is a reason why it's getting harder and harder to find good ones.

My first 944 was in really good condition (technically aswell), and i used it as a daily driver (about 60km every day). It didn't need more than the usual oil changes etc. If it's a good one, then they really don't cost a lot.

The problem is however, that there are things which will have to be done over time... like new brake pads, discs, replacing the timing belt and waterpump, dampers, clutch, etc. They are sportscars (hard suspension, usually driven "harder" aswell), and after 15 years things start to get old. And this is when it really costs money.

Two extreme examples...

- To change the clutch on a 944 Turbo, the rear axle has to be unmounted, which is a pain in the arse, even for someone who knows what he is doing. The clutch and parts, plus working hours of the mechanic, cost about 1500-2000 euro.

- New timing belt plus water pump is about 1000 euro.

Those are things which will have to be done sooner or later, and if you don't do them, stuff will break. Same goes for normal maintenance, like changing fluids and always check their level, etc. If you don't do those things on a 944, it will start to break, and cost a lot of money. That's the moment when the people mentioned above sell the car again.
Quote from jibber :...wisdom...

Indeed. Old cars are more than a hobby than anything else.

If you want to get from place a to place b reliably, buy punto or something.

If you want to have penis enlargement, buy something more riced and/or something that looks newer.

If you want to enjoy the driving in nice sunny weather, you have got the point. Or if you like to wax your car weekly...
Quote from DTrott :General Lee, your BMW was your first car was it not?

If so, how much insurance do you pay on it? If you don't mind me asking.

My BMW is my first car mate. I pay (or will be) £1040 a year, TPFT.

Thank God I live in one of the safest parts of the country!
Quote from jibber :
The problem is however, that there are things which will have to be done over time... like new brake pads, discs, replacing the timing belt and waterpump, dampers, clutch, etc. They are sportscars (hard suspension, usually driven "harder" aswell), and after 15 years things start to get old. And this is when it really costs money.

Two extreme examples...

- To change the clutch on a 944 Turbo, the rear axle has to be unmounted, which is a pain in the arse, even for someone who knows what he is doing. The clutch and parts, plus working hours of the mechanic, cost about 1500-2000 euro.

- New timing belt plus water pump is about 1000 euro.

Those are things which will have to be done sooner or later, and if you don't do them, stuff will break. Same goes for normal maintenance, like changing fluids and always check their level, etc. If you don't do those things on a 944, it will start to break, and cost a lot of money. That's the moment when the people mentioned above sell the car again.

Well, I think car servicing such way that I drive 50 000-100 000km and then I won't just fix what is broken, but replace parts before they start to cause problems as that is servicing car, if one waits until part fails then it is fixing. So during that time it will be quite few things that needs replacement of course and it will cost what it will cost, if price of doing so is high then I must decline myself having such car

My Volvo 360 has de-dion transaxle bit like one in 928, but instead of making all best out from it they managed to make rear axle that is not so good really. However changing clutch is similar, drop down whole driveline or lift out engine and so on, surely parts are bit cheaper and car bit more restless on high speeds

Too bad our laws are rather stupid, can't build my own LX here and drive on road, but nothing stops me making such car for track

Have to move to new place and get everything ready there, but after that it is time to make little improvements to my current cars, 360 needs new interior and some tidying up, also need to lift engine out and make full service on that one, should then be weekend car.
240 needs some new metal, it seems that 25 years have caused some minor surface rust on it :P Also turbo would not harm performance of it as it is probably slowest car in here with 82hp/140nm, total weight on road around 1700kg and air resistance of big house
This thread is closed

Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG