The online racing simulator
Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
Oh hey! its a commodore!
Quote from Klutch :Oh hey! its a commodore!

When I was sitting in the pits between sessions a guy came over to me and told me he was happy to see my Pontiac out there, he said he had a black GTO but didn't bring it for the track day. I told him you Australians sure know how to make nice cars.
I love my bmw but i think something is wrong with the engine, it may be because it's old but it should be able to rev upto 6000+rpm but mine doesn't. While driving it only revs upto 4500-5000rpm and out of gear it goes upto 5500rpm and then it kind of holds in, while the max hp whould be at 5700rpm... Any bmw experts have a clue, one thing my rev gauge doesn't always work properly though so that may be the case. But i think not.
At the garage they said the engine was good although i haven't told them about this "problem".

I just watched a video on youtube, and that bmw had around 4800rpm at 120kmh in 4th gear, and mine had 3500rpm-120kmh-4thgear . So i thing the rev gauge is waaaaaaaayyyyy off.
Quote from G!NhO :I just watched a video on youtube, and that bmw had around 4800rpm at 120kmh in 4th gear, and mine had 3500rpm-120kmh-4thgear . So i thing the rev gauge is waaaaaaaayyyyy off.

Same engine, gearbox and differential?
Yeah i think it was stock.
Also the v snare squeels, or however you call it in english.
"out of gear it goes upto 5500rpm and then it kind of holds in"

what do you mean by "holds in" ?
uhmm it doesnt go further in rpms, kinda seems like a rev limiter with a few backfires. Sorry but i am kinda noob at this, and you guys seem to know alot.
If its backfiring i doubt it'll be a rev limiter, sounds like you have a misfire of some sort in my opinion.
Yeah my dad said the same, i guess i should let it get checked in the garage.
are you on rev limit? car misfires? hesitates? could be lot of things,also over internet is impossible to figure out,take it to a shop and explaine your problem

Edit: Bmw`s spark plug coils love to go bad,also check spark plugs. or u can check which cyl does not work by,run the car and pull the plug off of each coil,and see if the engine responds by running more shitty,if it doesnt change u know the problem is at that cyl.
Also your cat. converter could be broken inside,and choking the car out.
most common problems for misfire's will be cracked coilpacks (They crack over time due to heat) and old/dirty spark plugs. If you have the time, these can easily be checked by yourself.
Though you can get more annoying problems like a loose ground or split vaccum hose which are harder to find and fix

I accidently left a ground off when changing out a flywheel and clutch on my mates rx7 and wondered why it was misfiring above 5k rpm
whoopsies lol
Quote from e2mustang :are you on rev limit? car misfires? hesitates? could be lot of things,also over internet is impossible to figure out,take it to a shop and explaine your problem

The rev gauge also acts strange so i don't know if it shows the true rpms, it sounds like misfires close to the rev limit, and yes it hesitates at the rev limit while driving.

I did have a problem last friday of some vacuum hoses came loose and some are cracked.
I need to replace those, and ill check the spark plugs.

thanks
what car we talking about btw? E36 u have?
oh e30 320i '83
ah E30 ! just change your cluster,they are all bad. Your just riding on rev limit
Would a rev limit cause backfiring with a standard exhaust though?
I'd be under the assumption it cuts fuel, not spark.
Ok but it still seems abit slowish then it may be only 120hp, is it normal that it has very little power in lower revs?
-
(Nathan_French_14) DELETED by Nathan_French_14
Quote from G!NhO :Ok but it still seems abit slowish then it may be only 120hp, is it normal that it has very little power in lower revs?

Early E30 small sixes are notorious for their lack of low rpm power and torque. I had to literally rev my 320 like a 1.3l to get it going anywhere, do that and you're all good.
Ok so afterall it seems normal except a faulty rev gauge (i hope).

Thanks for the help.
rebuilding a 13b this weekend with a mate, first time for both of us :3
ive helped do a rebuild but never actually done it myself before, so this is either going to go really bad, or just bad haha
can't be harder than getting to the cam cover bolts on my car. would have been easier to drop the #!@!@ing motor.
Quote from G!NhO :uhmm it doesnt go further in rpms, kinda seems like a rev limiter with a few backfires. Sorry but i am kinda noob at this, and you guys seem to know alot.

assuming it is EFI, this sounds like a reading issue, either a sensor busted or a possibly a big vacuum line leak. do they run air flow meters? if so my $$ is on that being busted.
Quote from Klutch :most common problems for misfire's will be cracked coilpacks (They crack over time due to heat) and old/dirty spark plugs. If you have the time, these can easily be checked by yourself.
Though you can get more annoying problems like a loose ground or split vaccum hose which are harder to find and fix

I accidently left a ground off when changing out a flywheel and clutch on my mates rx7 and wondered why it was misfiring above 5k rpm
whoopsies lol

you could be right, but usually coilpacks go in a uniform way, when they start playing up they often stop working completely, and it will be a consistent miss, rather than breaking down under load.
Thinking of buying some bbs rs 9j replica's with a black heart and stretched tyres, wil it look good on my car?

But then i also need to lower it to make it look good.
Why you are still thinking? Ofcourse they will look good. Get those BBS or deep dish Borbet-T put on stretched tyres and slam it to da ground!

but...
[stock_height_lover_and_stretched_tyres_hater_sarcasm_mode=on] oh noes pls dont do that it will ruin your cars handling, stay with old crappy oem suspension and dont even think about stretched tyres because they are so dangerous - every time you stretch a tyre, god kills a kitten, etc etc etc [/stock_height_lover_and_stretched_tyres_hater_sarcasm_mode=off]
This thread is closed

Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG