The online racing simulator
Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
Got myself a 1987 pug 205 1.1 . Still thinking whether to keep it or to get rid of it. Body is in great condition, and it runs quite nice. Engine is working a bit funny, but I guess it's because of standing still for two years so new spark plugs and cleaning the carb should do the trick. It's not a 1.9 GTI, but it's still pretty fun to drive, massively underpowered, but fun in the corners.

I don't know a better place to ask, so I'll ask here. Found a philips ap191 amp in a pile of crap. Has anyone else had any experience with those? Are those old philips audio components any good? It seems to be not in working condition, I've connected power to it, and illumination didn't turn on. If it appears to be broken, is it worth the fuss to fix it, or should I throw it away?
Attached images
IMGP0629.JPG
35e9caad55f35a5e620f05b385dbef67[1].jpg
since the price of coilovers is too damn high, what is your advice for lowering a car for not a lot of money (600$ is my budget) ?
cut the springs in half.
Don't think he was kidding, those are tangential ends so you can chop off a turn or so no problem. Instructions here.
Offcourse, Leepu does it on all his quality cars!
have you ever seen me rice a car?
im never kidding..

You can cut from the springs a little bit to make it lower,it will be still safe to drive,but if u wanna slam it,buy a kit.

Edit: above is the instructions
Cant believe you people are actually suggesting he cut his springs seriously

if you can't afford to do it properly, don't do it
HELL YEAH, do the dodgey on components that keep you on the road

this is a great idea!
all teenagers here in sweden cut their spring on their volvos, its fine if youre not planing racing your car as it wont improve the handling but it makes for a sweet look for free its a friends car but not to bad for a volvo
Quote from e2mustang :have you ever seen me rice a car?

...but if u wanna slam it,buy a kit...

Hmm, well to start with, those two statements clash. :thumb3d: (nevermind when it's "Ok" to cut springs )

Quote from mblixt :...it wont improve the handling...

You're right, as it'll actually worsen handling, more so in adverse weather conditions. (such as wet roads etc) All teenage ricers do it everywhere!
Quote from el pibe :since the price of coilovers is too damn high, what is your advice for lowering a car for not a lot of money (600$ is my budget) ?

Idk but here you can get coils for 200euro or even less... Also for audi.
Quote from G!NhO :Idk but here you can get coils for 200euro or even less... Also for audi.

Coils or coilovers? because simply putting shorter/stiffer springs on the same worn old dampeners isn't safe either..
If car culture was about safety we'd all be bragging about how many airbags our minivans have.
our family minivan has two, not fair
Quote from flymike91 :If car culture was about safety we'd all be bragging about how many airbags our minivans have..

It's cool, but ya wouldn't catch me driving at any speed next to that monster! Also, I realize car culture's not all about safety, but at the same time you can seriously get yourself into trouble being careless with suspension mods, at times for seemingly no apparent reason. Two thumbs up to el pibe for seeking a proper alternative to coilovers! I would suggest finding a forum that's familiar with your particular car and/or questioned parts, to pose/search your original question.
Quote from Tinytacohead :Coils or coilovers? because simply putting shorter/stiffer springs on the same worn old dampeners isn't safe either..

That is what i thought, since my dampers are worn out it is stupid to just cut the springs or just put shorter springs.

Quote from Tinytacohead :It's cool, but ya wouldn't catch me driving at any speed next to that monster! Also, I realize car culture's not all about safety, but at the same time you can seriously get yourself into trouble being careless with suspension mods, at times for seemingly no apparent reason. Two thumbs up to el pibe for seeking a proper alternative to coilovers! I would suggest finding a forum that's familiar with your particular car and/or questioned parts, to pose/search your original question.

and thank you, i did find a forum where someone that has the same car as me bought the same pieces but instead of the race springs he got the sport springs wich lower a bit less, but what i am looking for is still a reasonable alternative to coilovers... now i gotta find the dampers on ebay and i buy what i need.
Quote from el pibe :..but instead of the race springs he got the sport springs wich lower a bit less, but what i am looking for is still a reasonable alternative to coilovers... now i gotta find the dampers on ebay and i buy what i need.

Good deal! In regards to spring selection, I wanted to suggest a similar/less aggressive approach, but had kept to myself. Drops in the 2"+ range are typically overkill on the street & more often than not actually reduce performance. (without harsh dampening and/or possibly more hardware that is)

EDIT - oh yea.. post pics once completed!
to be honest, it cannot be worse than it is right now with the shocks that need replacement. i will also replace the control arms at the same time cause that needs to be done too so she will handle like a good lady i will post pics when it is done, and ghino will say that it needs more lowz.
Quote from Tinytacohead :Coils or coilovers? because simply putting shorter/stiffer springs on the same worn old dampeners isn't safe either..

Coilovers.....

Haha no i wont say that, but dont you guys have the cheap v-maxx, ta-technix or supersport coilovers there?
AP has cheap coilovers too, they're quite decent, subbrand of KW.
Quote from G!NhO :Coilovers.....

Haha no i wont say that, but dont you guys have the cheap v-maxx, ta-technix or supersport coilovers there?

what i posted + the control arms still comes up cheaper than any of those...
Quote from el pibe :what i posted + the control arms still comes up cheaper than any of those...

I had my AP coilovers bought and fitted for less than 600$
And they were decent quality, ride was good.
actually, now that i think about it... its not worth it. not on this car.

side note: first complaint about my exaust in 6months...
Quote from el pibe :..side note: first complaint about my exaust in 6months...

Ouch, haha!
A-holes with nothing better to do with their time than find stuff to complain about. You don't sound like the kind of fool that goes around bouncing the thing off the rev limiter in residential areas and everyone knows loud pipes save lives.
This thread is closed

Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG