The online racing simulator
Grand Theft Auto V
(1980 posts, started )
Quote from tristancliffe :Cars, bikes, carts, light planes, trucks, jets, helicopters and jets are nothing new. Zeppelins are hardly much different from other forms of flight for the purposes of the game, and jetskis are much like boats.

All of this has been in GTA before. So isn't new.

The struggle is to make the game feel like you're part of a city. In all previous versions you've felt like you're not actually PART of the city, with very simple and sporadic interaction. Occasionally people will scream and run away. Occasionally some random person(s) will shoot at you. But it's just filler between driving fast for no real reason.

However, it'll be fun, and I'm looking forward to it. But lets not pretend this will be very different to the older versions.

yeah.. but what element would be missing? pc's are not ready so that you could talk to every person in the city, or if every house would be accessible and even if, what would be the use of it?
Quote from thisnameistaken :The struggle is to reduce the cutscenes so they're less than 90% of the game.

I want to play a game, not watch a half-baked movie.

You can always skip them? Personally I love GTA cutscenes, though I wouldn't increase them. Having a cutscene only at the start (and sometimes at the end) of a mission is just perfect.
The AI needs to be upgraded from terrible to acceptable. This is not achieved by random animations that play based on proximity to the player. It needs traffic that might actually behave like traffic, at a density one might find in a city. It needs accidents caused by avoiding you result in the drivers getting out and exchanging details. It means have police that actually behave like police, rather then letting you kill people, carjack and drive like a loon, but then giving you 3 stars of wanted from something not very unlawful.

We've had all these crappy elements for 10 years. I'm sure PCs and consoles are a lot better now, but all the processing power is spent putting smoke on exhausts and (rather nice, admittedly) clouds morphing in the sky.
Quote from tristancliffe :The AI needs to be upgraded from terrible to acceptable. This is not achieved by random animations that play based on proximity to the player. It needs traffic that might actually behave like traffic, at a density one might find in a city. It needs accidents caused by avoiding you result in the drivers getting out and exchanging details. It means have police that actually behave like police, rather then letting you kill people, carjack and drive like a loon, but then giving you 3 stars of wanted from something not very unlawful.

We've had all these crappy elements for 10 years. I'm sure PCs and consoles are a lot better now, but all the processing power is spent putting smoke on exhausts and (rather nice, admittedly) clouds morphing in the sky.

well ai acting like humans is not really possible, just look at good chess games.. they have more then one gig of information what to do when. it's just kinda impossible atm.... of course it would be grate but....
So it's not whole San Andreas, just Los Santos aka Los Angeles? Oh well.
I wonder will they copypaste some wild animals from Red Dead Redemption into "surrounding hills and countryside", would be nice. There is a dog at 0:05 of trailer so there will be animals this time. Ridable horses would be cool.

About release date, I highly doubt it will be out before Max Payne 3 (March 2012).
Quote from John5200 :ummmm.... cars, motorcycles, gulf carts, jetskis, light planes, trucks, jets, zeppelins, helicopters and private jets....

what where you expecting? ufo's?

edit: someone online pointed this out... release date 24.05.??? (bottom right corner)

No America uses MM/DD so it would be 0524 if that was the case.

I'd guess it would come out 6-7 months from now. So Summer-November time next year (2012).
Quote from S14 DRIFT :No America uses MM/DD so it would be 0524 if that was the case.

I'd guess it would come out 6-7 months from now. So Summer-November time next year (2012).

GTA is developed at Rockstar North, which is in SCOTLAND NOT AMERICA, therefore DD/MM (but its probably still wrong)

But then again GTA is in america.... i've dug myself some sort of hole here
Quote from tristancliffe :The AI needs to be upgraded from terrible to acceptable. This is not achieved by random animations that play based on proximity to the player. It needs traffic that might actually behave like traffic, at a density one might find in a city. It needs accidents caused by avoiding you result in the drivers getting out and exchanging details. It means have police that actually behave like police, rather then letting you kill people, carjack and drive like a loon, but then giving you 3 stars of wanted from something not very unlawful.

You sound like a type of person who would enjoy playing a bureaucracy simulator I doubt it would be as much fun if you'd have to spend 10 minutes of mission time sitting in a traffic jam.

More realistic AI does not have to necessarily mean better AI for the purposes of this game. When I'm starting up GTA IV, that's because I want to run over hobos with an SUV while watching the stupid pig-cops crash into each other during a car-chase. I don't want to be picked-off buy one police sniper sitting on a helicopter after the first 10 seconds.

I suggest using these for better enjoyment of the next GTA installment. :P
I think tristan is talking more about what the ai should do among themselves. Not the player. Like exchanging details after a crash. I can see that being logical for ai-ai crashes but I don't really want to do it myself. But I personally prefer the ais going after eachother with golf clubs. And they do it already .

Traffic density is kind of mixed bag for me. Don't want to drive slowly just because there is no room to drive faster but I like the idea there being more selection of cars to steal. In some places it would work better than others of course...

Traffic density would also add another problem to gta. In gtas there is usually lots of travelling from places to places and if those trips took even longer than they do now the amount of traffic would only add and strenghten the negative aspects of the game. I much prefer going from a to b driving like a nascar driver on pcb instead of being stuck behind cars or having to use the shoulders of the road just to get by. Although I kind of like trying to drive realistically in gta. Looking for a good place to pass "safely" but the cars spawning like they do does not really make it possible because there are never really long or short gaps...

Sure there are some unrealistic things that don't really add much into gta. Like cars exploding, random killings being ok with the polices while some smaller fenderbenders sending the national army after you... Or the police just trying to ram you off as their only tactic. Or money being practically useless in-game asset. Aside from some burgers and houses there really isn't anything to buy. Yet getting more money is the sole purpose of the game in way...
Quote from John5200 :just look at good chess games.. they have more then one gig of information what to do when.

wat.

Rybka4.1 engine = 5MB
Basic UCI-compatible GUI for it = 3 MB
I was thinking something, a big franchise as GTA can't get licenced cars?? It started to bother me really seeing these fake look-alike cars, maybe cause you can kill people with them etc, can't see any other reason..
Quote from E.Reiljans :wat.

Rybka4.1 engine = 5MB
Basic UCI-compatible GUI for it = 3 MB

as far as i'm aware a engine is just responsible for running stored information not having a lot of info itself

According to wiki this is claimed to be the best:

Quote :Houdini 2 has a strength limit feature - from 0 (beginner) to 100 (full strength), is more user-friendly in analysis, has position learning, supports Chess960 games and is available in NUMA-aware version for high-end, multi-socket servers.
Houdini 2 was released on September 2, 2011. According with the info provided at the official web, Houdini 2 (Standard version, up to six cores and 4 GB of for a hash table) is about 25 Elo stronger than Houdini 1.5a, while Houdini 2 (Pro version, up to 32 cores and 32 GB of hash) is about 40 Elo stronger than Houdini 1.5ab-16. (A special compilation of Houdini 1.5a fr up to 16 cores could be acquired if the client makes a donation for Houdini project.)
Houdini 2 also incorporates a 'Mate Search' function that helps to solve long mates faster than without this option.

Not gone into to much detail but as far as I'm aware AI is HARD to program
2405 i will lol if thats just the house number not some hidden message, like all of R* its one giant pop culture reference I wonder how many will be hidden in this one
i am expecting something with a whole different setting really, LA again is a bit boring. I would kill for a GTA bangladesh. imagine the car chase possibilities.
John5200.. best chess engines don't have any precalculated data..

Search for "Rybka vs Fritz" for example and have a nice look of play of two different engines, both of which don't have any precalculated data

PS: the "32GB for hash table" in your quote is amount of RAM needed, not size of installer. It can be saved to HDD, yeah, but it's not on the disk in the first place.
Quote from Boris Lozac :I was thinking something, a big franchise as GTA can't get licenced cars?? It started to bother me really seeing these fake look-alike cars, maybe cause you can kill people with them etc, can't see any other reason..

Most of big companies don't want to be associated with car murder simulator.
Quote from Kid222 :Most of big companies don't want to be associated with car murder simulator.

One more thing - getting over 100 cars licensed would cost a fortune, and having few licensed / a lot of unlicensed cars would be kinda.. imbalanced.
"Lets pay bucket loads of money to change the name of our cars".

Next they should pay for the right to use actual LA, instead of using a fake name, just because it would be "better" or "cool".
Quote from PMD9409 :"Lets pay bucket loads of money to change the name of our cars".

Next they should pay for the right to use actual LA, instead of using a fake name, just because it would be "better" or "cool".

they can just use Greece since they are practically bankrupt? lol
Quote from PMD9409 :"Lets pay bucket loads of money to change the name of our cars".

Name is not a problem, that fakiness of how they look is what's bothering me..
Quote from JJ72 :they can just use Greece since they are practically bankrupt? lol

US is trying their best too.

Quote from Boris Lozac :Name is not a problem, that fakiness of how they look is what's bothering me..

Sometimes I wonder about your ability to think. What defines a real car for you? A car you see out on the street? If Peugeot came out with some concept that looks nothing like any other car, would that be considered fake in your eyes?
Don't give me that LFS crap, i'm just saying, it would be even more awesome with the real look and not the headlights from Boxter and rear end from Mustang..

Grand Theft Auto V
(1980 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG