The online racing simulator
Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
Check driftworks, loads of streetcars with 6-point rollcages. All insured, and most are just paying normal insurance.
Insurance, whatever. Smashing your head on it when you're tumbling around in your stupid harness without a helmet on, not so nice.
well, if your able to tumble around in a 5 or 6 point then them belts arent pulled tight enough, as there should be as little movement as possible, when i used to race i used to pull my belts down as tight as i could while strapped in, and a mate used to pull them even tighter just to be sure, although i am talking about in banger racing, other forms of racing and/or road use may be different, but for me, as seatbelts go, tight is right.
Quote from danthebangerboy :well, if your able to tumble around in a 5 or 6 point then them belts arent pulled tight enough, as there should be as little movement as possible

I bet it's totally comfortable when it comes to daily driving.

E: just found a video, you might like it, XCNuse :P http://vimeo.com/25587533
Sorry for late responses lol.

Yes it is a 5 point harness. I was going to get a Schroth Rallye 4 but I didn't like the buckle, and the more reviews came in on the mazda forums people weren't happy with them BECAUSE they were 4 points. 5 Points at the beginning to me just seemed "cool" I wasn't entirely sure what the 5th point really did, but after driving up to the mountains yesterday, it shined. I would be entirely displeased if I landed up with a 4 point harness.

It's a RJS Racing harness, 5 point, latch system, bolted into the frame, it's kind of hard to adjust at times but I think I got it figured out. It sucks with my seat because of the headrest is a little bit to skinny, so I get some rubbing on my neck, but not that bad.

I'm not worried about it because a racing seat is certainly on my list.

The racing roll bar (not a full cage, but I do plan on going full cage eventually), will be made by AutoPower, which has been around since the 70s and makes racing roll cages. US company, makes bolt in roll cages, and are virtually the only company that makes bars and cages, probably have one to fit anyone's car on here too.

that's a picture of the racing bar, it goes behind the seats so .. it's literally impossible to hit for those wondering. The full cage you probably could if you were... a foot taller than me (I'm not that tall, 5'8ish)

Um, material Autopower uses is DOM steel; for heavier cars they use ERW.

Again, this stuff is real, it's no rip off or anything, racing teams have been trusting AutoPower for roll cages for the past 40 years, and the ones they make for street cars are exactly the same.

But yeah, part show, part use. I eventually want to track my car but that won't be for a very long time, right now it's mainly for show which.. not sure why everyone here isn't a fan of it, but, hey it keeps me from killing myself or someone else. For me it isn't about getting more power, I care more about looks, sure accelerating is fun, but I would just get caught if I had way more power, and that would just be money down the drain for being stupid.

Um, back on topic of seats, it will be some Sparco model, they tend to have cheaper seats, I don't want a ripoff, I would rather buy a legit cheap seat. I sat in a Sparco Sprint 5, which is like $300 I think, and I thought it felt great, especially for that price. Sat in a like $2000 corbeau next to it and it was like falling into a foam bed, it felt AMMMMAAAZING.. but I don't have that kind of money to spend lol.

Seat + brackets + slider = $600 minimum so I am trying to save some money. Again, I'm a small person, I have no need for a big comfortable seat, besides.. my car is on coilovers at near full stiffness, and a have a harness to push me into my stock seat, I'm not exactly in the mood to float over bumps, I prefer to feel the road.

Oh, and for those that haven't sat in a mazda 3 or 2 before, go to a dealer and sit in one, the seats are great. Mine is a little wide on me, but it fits around you like a racing seat, far more than any other car I've sat in.

@Toki; yeah that would be ShaW's speed 3, it looks retarded, and he and Rocky aka Evil 98 own the mazdafitment forum, so no one can really say anything bad about it. Guy is kinda young, actually he's younger than me, I think he's like 20 tops so he's still got some attitude issues. He's running 18x9.5 MB Battles @ ~-8 degrees camber in the back, it looks RETARDED.

There's a huge problem I see with the "stance" movement, and it's probably true for all manufactures "tuners" ... you get some idiot kids that buy expensive wheels, see how quickly they can shred the insides of tires, and maybe (hopefully) kill themselves while doing so... and that's it.

No that isn't entirely true, but I have noticed that it is the case for a LOT of people getting into the stance movement, is that these kids take mommy and daddy's money, buy super nice wheels, drop the car, and go through tires on a monthly basis. And that's it, literally... they buy wheels, buy new tires every month, and they do nothing else to their car, and then put themselves in this world among people who probably had their engine in bits the day before a big car show, and think they're cool with their $3000 rotiforms no one cares about.

Which reminds me about the last car show I was at, rich part of town, GREAT.. i mean GREAT show, I still haven't put the video of it together, but some stupid high school kid came up in a '08 STi, with an exhaust.. stock car, aftermarket exhaust, and just revved the hell out of it when he was parking. Saw the kid get out and walk around with his friends, managed to cross paths at one point and he was just making stupid comments about cars like he knew something about them after some local shop most likely installed his exhaust.. if he even had one, it could've been cut and straight piped, I didn't care to look.

My car project is more headed towards show, but it's also functional. It won't be stanced, yes it will be low but not stanced.. in the end I want it to look like a race car, and feel like one, that's the purpose for me in my choices.

There have been a lot of guys that do engine work, my friend if I haven't said just had his turbo removed, his car got finished up yesterday, so no more turbo. After I told him numerous times he finally realized how much money he spent on having 300 horsepower, which .. could have bought him a new Speed 3 instead. Some other guys are doing NA builds, but even then, the MZR engine is close to its limits, sure you have Dyson racing running 500 horsepower.. but it's a blueprinted MZR engine.

In the end I would rather look at my car and fall in love with the looks every time, even when it's sitting there.. than having some high horsepower beast I just... have to maintain..
i'd rather drive a high hp car than just look at it sitting..
@xcnuse:
looks good
was about to say that it will prolly end up with a half cage
300'- seems allot to me for a Sprint V. I bought mine for the s13 for 150€
Either put the harness around the headrest or if you want the extra security when not worn, fabup a small bracket, sort of like Mickey Mouse ears which the headrest goes through. But since the headrest posts would more than likely sheer off once you have to put some load through them, you might as well just lash the seatbelts to the posts with a canvas belt, or something of the sort.

Also, how do you actually drive around town with a full harness on? I regularly have to move around, backwards and forwards to see anything at crummy junctions. I've noticed that most people who drive cars with harnesses (be them track spec sports cars, or guys with Saxo's) never have the harness tight enough to actually work, just loosely over their shoulders. I'd stick with a G-Lock, all of the reviews I've seen have been positive.
Well, it's recommended to put your harness between the headrest poles if it's a double, if a single then to put them on either side.

I would prefer them (obviously) to be wider out, but I would be afraid if one slipped off the side say.. in an accident. Although a lot of force is holding them down I don't see them coming off the sides, but .. I guess they could. The guys with Mazdaspeed 3 seats don't have a problem because the seats look like this:

so they can run them outside without having problems of it slipping out since.. it can't.

I used to want speed 3 seats, but I know how much they weigh, they cost a lot, and I want racing seats instead so they fell out of the question.

I will try them on the outside tomorrow, I'm just worried if one slipped...

Lol, the first time I got the harness on and everything on Friday, I strapped down and the driver door was still open . . . . .... hahaha had to unbuckle and shut it and get it all back.

It will take a little bit of getting used to, but I used to pull my normal seat belt so it would lock tight anyways, I just need to get used to doing everything I 'forgot' to do and was able to unlock the seat belt and go back, it's a learning process but that won't be a problem.
As far as moving around, no I never move around, I have a wink mirror and wideangle side mirrors so I really have no need to move around, I have no blind spots what-so-ever. I can look around just fine, and twist some, not as much but some; I can't move forward but I never do that when I drive anyways.
But no, my harness isn't loose.. I don't want to say I'm using it to "look cool" but I'm .. actually using it, at full pressure. In fact the drive up here this weekend I put to much load on and actually had a lot of spinal compression, which obviously isn't good, so I won't be running it AS tight, but.. yeah, there is nothing lose about it.

@e2, when you're at work sitting there staring at your car in the window and you know you can't drive it.. at least you get to look at something sexy for the time being lol

There are some guys with harness bars you can buy, Sparco makes them, but.. god they're more expensive than that bolt in roll bar! So yeah, I'm saving up for the roll bar lol.

@Scrabby, eh.. it's about $300 after shipping sometimes, I can find them online from $200-$250, but.. I like to average up so I know I can afford it when the time comes :P
XCNuse: Well I'd get a couple of large carabinas so you can just run the belt through a carabina and attach it to the posts, so it won't slip off. If the belt is rubbing on your neck, chances are it'll break your neck if you crash.

For moving forwards I was referring to if you approach a junction which someone has parked right on so you have to lean forwards to see what is going on.

I imagine the forgetting to set shit before you belt in will be a ballache for some time to come. Which again is why I'd go G-Lock over race harness on a street car. I like the belt to be tight over the lap strap part, but I hate the tight sensation on my chest and am always fighting the belt lock because it kicks in way too soon.
Quote from XCNuse :@e2, when you're at work sitting there staring at your car in the window and you know you can't drive it.. at least you get to look at something sexy for the time being lol

lol well do it like me,its sexy and its fast im staring at it all day long too,i cant drive for 12 h/day
I like the ideas of carabiners, I like that idea a lot, I'll check into that and probably do it.

Nah at intersections I can't see into I usually scoot forward until I can see, and by the time i'm in the middle of intersection I just go lol..
I don't have that problem in my area like I did down a school, not to many blind intersections at home here.

Imo blind intersections should be entirely illegal, if I were a cop I would find some way to make all intersections plainly visible.
spelled with a C in america.

and no, not a carbine. (or karbine) either lol

this:

what people use for climbing.
Learnt something new then.
Ah lol ok, 200-250 are good prices then :P
I've got a Sparco Pro2000 now, and it's WAY more comfy then a sprint, just saying (as its got real thick cushons)

:hide::hidesbehi
just wait until tristan sees that lol
Quote from R3DMAN :

Does it actually make a difference?

It does go kinda well with the black splitter, but still a bit big for my liking.
Quote from Bawbag :Does it actually make a difference?

It does go kinda well with the black splitter, but still a bit big for my liking.

Well anything lower would really kill what little rear visibility the Speedster actually has.
Why care about visibility when it's already crap in the first place?
visibility is fine, im actually going to drop the spoiler about an inch..

it does actaully work yes, both the front and rear work quite well.
This thread is closed

Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG